Code of Conduct

Default SotD Saturday 25 April

Good morning!

Santa Maria Novella Melograno for me on this bright Spring day.

Have a wonderful weekend!
    Last edited by tigrushka; 25th April 2009 at 07:55 AM. Reason: fatal error aka the sotd bug
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Default Re: SotD Saturday 25 April

Good weekend, everyone

Testing Nicolaï Vie de Château.

Guerlain Quand Vient la Pluie, although it's a warm sunny day.

Wearing the refreshing Hamptons.

Enjoy your weekend!

Habit Rouge
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Good morning all First of all belated birthday grretings to yesterday's birthday-kids Hope you had an awsome day! Today I have a lateshift at work,so I'm in Jicky edt as my sotd.

Happy birthday to lievje and the_good_life.

Hot and humid here, snowing in Fargo. Did some laundry (hand wash only items) and hung it outside. Technically it is against the city ordinance but I think it will be dry before the daylight.

Guerlain Nahema, from Brielle's de***t.

Miss Tao, is it still burning where you are? Hope you and yours are safe.

Thank you all for your kind words yesterday. Took a deep breath and took your advice to relax. Sometimes there's just so much pressure to do a heap of different tasks all at once that you don't know where to begin and end up stalling all of them, you know? Tackling them one by one now, though, and am a lot calmer.
    Another reason for my stress is that I'm watching my dad this weekend, whose Parkinson's is now in an advanced stage. That means his old self alternates with distrust, paranoia, hallucinations and full-blown psychosis. I haven't quite come to terms with all that yet. Parents really shouldn't get sick like that.

Anyway, lighter subject matter: I'm wearing Krizia My Afrika, the ginger mystery sample from the last 3x3. Fits very nicely with the balmy weather, I'm enjoying it thoroughly.
    Have a great day all.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Did some laundry (hand wash only items) and hung it outside. Technically it is against the city ordinance...
    Wow! Bet you're glad to be moving away!!!!

Happy birthday to Lievjie. Hope you have a wonderful day and get lots of great books and perfumed presents!

Belated birthday wishes to The Good Life and Tinks. Where are you Tinkerbelle? Call by and say hi sometime woncha?

Veuve; hope your day goes OK. Sending you and Twolfie hugs and support. (Also anyone else who is having a stressy or glum day.)

I'm in EL Bronze Goddess because it's lovely and sunny again today. The red kites are flying high over the village and whistling their calls. And as if it couldn't get any better, there's an icecream fest in the villace marketplace today. Yahooo!!!!! Our family loves the gelato. (That's one reason we're all tubby. Too many tubs!) But one won't hurt, will it? And I keep saying it contains lots of calcium and must be very good for my bones.

Have a lovely day all.
    x

PS - can our Swiss Basenoters give me any advice on how to find a cat in Switzerland? I'm thinking it's time we got a pet but I don't know where to look. Thanks!
    Last edited by Wordbird; 25th April 2009 at 11:23 AM.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Sharing the House with one Brotha and three sisters.......do I smell a Guerlain conspiracy?

Basenotes wonky birthday calender again, hmm? Oh well, again Happy Birthday and congratulations to Lievje and the_good_life. Make it a Birthday Weekend!!

Wishing you strength my dear Veuve. It is so hard to see a beloved parent suffer.

(((Twolfie))) and all others who need a hug these days.
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

Sur la Plage

My SOTD is Rochas - Moustache

Notes: Bergamot, Lime, Pine, Vetiver, Moss, Rare Fruits

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Birthday greetings to Lievje & the_good_life ~ celebrate today!

Oh veuve...I'm sorry to hear about your father. You know, being able to care for him is a gift. When even the simplest task becomes impossible for him ~ your assistance, and giving of yourself, is a priceless treasure. You will surely be rewarded. Also: you smell lovely! Hang in there.

It's going to top 80 (for the second day in a row) here today, so I've decided to stick with a fruity floral. Wearing Jo Malone Nectarine Blossom & Honey.
    Last edited by ubuandibeme; 25th April 2009 at 01:19 PM.

Bowling Green

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Robert Piguet • BANDIT

Guerlain Vetiver and Creed Original Vetiver side by side comparisson. The citrus lasts a lot longer in OV whereas the Guerlain smells soapier on my skin with a tad leather. Overall the Creed has much more sillage, I constantly keep catching whiffs of it while to smell the Guerlain I need to attach my nose to my skin. I still enjoy them both.. Sigh... if only I had infinite recources... ah well, a girl can dream, can't she?

Wordie, I thought birds and kitties don't go well together..? :P Sending you a PM regarding your request.

Wishing everyone a geat weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    ....Miss Tao, is it still burning where you are? Hope you and yours are safe.
    "80% contained" is the latest report - and thanks for asking. (For those who haven't heard - there's a wildfire that's been burning in my Myrtle Beach SC neck of the woods since Wednesday - ten to twelve miles away but still the air has been filled with smoke and ash and particulates [that I thought were pretty little summer flowers!]) Don't think there's any connection but the weather SUDDENLY turned very warm - went from the low 60's to early 80's seemingly overnight.

Healing energy streaming to Veuve - so difficult when the parent/child roles get reversed.

Wordie - you paint such wonderful word pictures - your moniker couldn't be more apt. And I WISH your avatar wasn't so dark on my 'puter that I almost can't make out you and Small.

Grabbed Demeter's Salt Air to put me in the mood this ayem. For the five femto seconds it lasts it's sort of Brezza di Mare Lite and RULLY refreshing. Think I'm gonna go through the day in beachiness. Will add the BdM later...and maybe a little Fire Island. Finish up the day in Bronze Goddess. Viva Astaroth!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Thumbs up Re: SotD Saturday 25 April

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Mackie for Men this AM.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Guerlain conspiracy it is.
    It will be Jicky EDP for me today.

But first I have to wash out the Eau de Doggie shampoo and conditioner off of me first. Just finished their weekly grooming.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

I can't say aromatherapy without rolling my eyes and feeling like a hippy, but I'm coming to believe that it is a legitimate form of cognitive adjustment. So, I'm trying to write in Gli Odori because rosemary is supposed to be good for concentration. I don't know that it makes me write better or makes me write for that matter, but I enjoy this fragrance. It's not an easy wear, but it's fun.

When I leave the house I think I'll go with something less interesting. Maybe a nice light floral.

If I could make a perfume to write in, I think I'd use Bitter Orange, Bergamot,Rosemary, Neroli , and Frankincense . No idea if it would smell good, but it would help with creativity, concentration, mood and energy level.

For Veuve I'd blend chamomile and Neroli. Calming and uplifting. Hope in spite of the difficulties you and your father will have a good day.

For the rest of you, pure sunshine.

debbborra, I like the sound of your writing perfume!

Here in Virginia, it's 78 F already, and projected temps of 90's F over the next few days. What happened to spring?

I'm wearing Osmanthus by The Different Company this morning.

Veuve, you have my sympathies. It's horrible to see the physical and mental changes and exhausting to care for them. My granddad had Parkinson's, but it never got him so badly; he somehow had it for 20 years and slowly deteriorated against all the docs' expectations.

I'm in MANDRAGORE; writing it in capitals to express just how right this feels today. I could make like a Russian tycoon's wife and bathe in it right now, that's how good this smells to me.

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    debbborra, I like the sound of your writing perfume!

I do too, I just worry it would be bottom heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by debbborra View Post
    I do too, I just worry it would be bottom heavy.
    I don't think it would be, but I suppse that would be determined by the proportions you use. Just wanted to mention that Profumo.it makes a scent called Persona that I fell in love with when I sampled it. It is an accord of vetiver, frankincense and neroli. It is refreshing, yet has a bit of mystery to it. Just lovely! It reminded me a bit of fir branches. I'll bet your comination would be very lovely, too. And I'm a believer in aromatherapy, always have been, though I haven't always known it by that name!

Basenotes Plus

Stay safe, taolady.
    We, too, are experiencing the 20+ degree spike in temperatures today. I awoke with a sinus headache during the night & it has yet to abate.
    So no fragrance, as of yet.
    Once the Sudafed kicks in, I'm wearing Chamade. It's my "Roll in Zee Hay" fragrance.
    If I feel better, I'll go work in the garden, pull weeds, do some soil prep & prune the roses.

Beautiful day for playing in the garden.

Fo-ti-tieng until the shower, then Genvieve for the theater

My dear Veuve: It is hard and painful to care for someone weakened by Parkinson's. And your father...At least when you are with him, stay in the moment. You will notice, appreciate, and remember the small things that you do for him that gave him relief, even pleasure. Remember those small things.

It is a beautiful day here in New York, and I am wearing my spring love, Diorella. It is odd, because I usually scoff at the purported seasonality of fragrance. Just give me my Ambre Russe in the heat of the summer. But Diorella, which is full of hope and sun, in addition to its classic Roudnitzkian notes, is so classic spring to me. I just love it. Does anyone know if an extrait exists for Diorella? I have only the edt.

debbborra--I second the suggestion by Lilybelle of profumo's Persona. Also, many traditional colognes have all those notes, minus the frankincense. Institut Tres Bien Cologne d'Italienne is one I have which fits this description, and it is extremely uplifting.

Petruccijc, that ad is really SCARY--not sure it would invite me to try the fragrance. The sculpture looks like the little tycoon on the Monopoly game. Does the fragrance evoke this?

Not sure yet what my SotD will be--I'll post again later. Hugs to all!

Rainy and humid over here... Started my day with Vent Vert and later tried Fresh Pomegranate Anise. In the evening I tested Annick Goutal's Matin D'Orage, which I quite like as it has a white floral/gardenia note.

Happy birthday to lievje and the_good_life.

Veuve - sorry to hear about your father - my partner's dad died of Parkinson's in January after suffering from it for 15 years, and it was upsetting to watch his decline. He also had two types of cancer thrown in but managed to live with those. A degenerative disease is so cruel as you feel the real person slowly ebbing away...

Keeping it uncharacteristically simple and wearing just Cristalle edt today.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

I'm wearing Prada Infusion d'Iris right now at work and can't smell it. Later I'm changing to Guerlain L'Instant Magic. I am completely and utterly smitten with it.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Veuve, is it possible that your dad's mental symptoms are being caused by his levodopa (assuming he is taking that)? It does have psychiatric side effects at the higher doses that are often necessary as the disease advances. If so, maybe the doctors could reassess his dosage....

Today I am celebrating the warmer weather with a cool green scent, Hampton Sun Privet Bloom.

Basenotes Institution

Happy birthday to lievje and the_good_life and loving thoughts to Veuve.

Today is a Hypnotic Poison day because my husband loves it . Be happy everyone. X
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Every year, on the last Saturday in April, the Kiwanis host the Pewaukee River Run. A few athletic types consider it a canoe race, but most attendees just make it a fun quest, often swigging beer along the way. Sadistically, my family likes to watch from a sharp bend in the river where large trees often obstruct the navigators. The skilled and swift paddlers who arrive first are no fun, they simply negotiate the obstacles. It's the later, less-experienced pairs who scream, turn their boats sideways, take on water and/or collide with others who provide our side-splitting entertainment. Our foursome (DH & I, DD & her BF) is home now and dry after tolerating a drenching downpour during which I pulled out my camera only once. Just had to share this pic of two young men in camouflage paddling with shovels. Note, too, their canoe has some signficant folds in its sides. Good times.

I'm warm, dry, dressed in plaid flannel for the day and smelling great in Black Vetyver Cafe with Sel de Vetiver.

Quote Originally Posted by veuve amiot View Post
    Sometimes there's just so much pressure to do a heap of different tasks all at once that you don't know where to begin and end up stalling all of them, you know?
    Boy, do I.
    Quote Originally Posted by veuve amiot View Post
    Another reason for my stress is that I'm watching my dad this weekend ... Parents really shouldn't get sick like that.
    Amen to that. Swaddling you with a bone-crushing hug.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

For SotD, I settled on Tom Ford White Patchouli.

I'm in Feminite du Bois today (thanks to a sample from Arwen!) and hoping not to get rained out of my picnic plans. Have a great day everyone!

Still out of town visiting for the birthday of my 92-year-old mother-in-law, and letting chance select my SOTD.

Found an almost full bottle of Jean Louis Schrrer 2 that I must have left here years ago.

Was my husband's favorite and he laments that I never wear it.

Me (waving wrist under his nose): Do you like this?
    Husband (in the voice that means "don't buy a full bottle): Nice.

[I reveal what it is]

Husband: Huh. Smells different now that you wear all those other perfumes. Kind of sweet and dated.

Last edited by Nostalgie; 25th April 2009 at 04:38 PM.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

Blog Entries

Delighted with a glorious day!! Today my cousin's daughter will make her first communion, which to little Catholic girls means more about wearing a lovely dress and being surrounded by beaming relatives and yummy food. I hope its a lovely day for her.

Its going to be
    L' Eau D' Issey
    if my C&S still isn't here by 3pm.

Hugs to all you wonderful darlings. Seeing you never fails to make my morning/afternoon/evening!!
    <3 ... I'm blind crazy in love... <3

Happy Birthday to lievje and the_good_life! I hope you're having a marvelous weekend.

Veuve, my thoughts are with you.
    Taolady, do stay safe. All that smoke and ash must be harmful too.

I work in this freezing little office on Saturdays, and even if it's warm outside, I like to wear something cozy to ward off the chill. Today I'm in a sample of Parfumerie Generale Cadjmere. It's not blooming as much as it could (brrrr!) but it's still so lovely and woody.

(((Hugs to Veuve)))
    Happy Birthday (again) to Lievje & the_good_life ! Hope you have a wonderful fragrant day.

I am wearing Armani Prive Eau de Jade pre work-out.

xoxo to Twolf
    Evenstar

Thank you all sweeties. Definitely helps to be able to vent, not to mention the bone-crushing virtual hugs. I'll need medical attention if I don't watch you lot.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Veuve, is it possible that your dad's mental symptoms are being caused by his levodopa (assuming he is taking that)? It does have psychiatric side effects at the higher doses that are often necessary as the disease advances. If so, maybe the doctors could reassess his dosage....
    Yah, that's the first thing they did, really. He's unfortunately very susceptible to mental side effects of any and all PD medication, so the current situation could be either the drugs or the disease itself - or a combination of the two. Other than lowering the levodopa dose and prescribing an antipsychotic there's not much to do about it. It's all about finding a balance between a manageable amount of psychiatric trouble and a workable physical state now.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Hello and wonderful saturday to all.

((veuve)) I am so sorry for all you have to deal with, you are correct, parents should be excluded from becoming sick. They should just be mama and papa forever, they all deserve peace and tranquility. I feel for you.

((Twolf)) You are just such a love, you are like a rainbow during a monsoon I am horrified by a city ordinance preventing hanging of clothes. Such bizarreness, go figure.

((Tao)) keep hosing down the property, those little embers are nasty. You know you will be in my thoughts.

Happy Birthday to all celebrating (again)

Today I am wearing, thanks to a very lovely BNer, vintage Guerlain Rue de la Paix. Very ambery, yummm.

Hope everyone will find some joy in their life today and always of course. Love and hugs.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Basenotes Institution

Guerlain conspiracy...indeed.

Guerlain Homme for me.

"One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Started off with Armani Prive's Eclat de Jasmin.

Will begin work with OJ Champaca I think...still undecided though...
    Comme l'amour, le parfum doit captiver la femme dès le premier contact---André Fraysse

Still in 31 Rue Cambon. Have a stupendous Saturday, all.

Decided to put on something different, the vintage Guerlain was quite fleeting.

So now I am in Je Reviens

Take care all.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

CdG Red Series: Sequoia
    Thanks mikeperez23!
    Evenstar

yves rocher voile d'ambre for me today.

(((HUGS))) to all who need them! Exquisitely me, you are going to have to post more often so we can have some of your crazy and dizzy in Love happiness rub off on us! Ahhh, those were the days! SotD is Armani Prive Eau de Jade.

Jo Malone's Orange Blossom
    Veuve- you and your dad are in my thoughts
    Tao- I hope things clear up soon

It has been a beautiful warm. sunny Saturday here at Stately Somerville Manor. On top of the weather finally getting warm I got to meet Brielle87 last night and we shared fragrance stories and stories of how we used to spend our Friday night together but like ships passing in the night not really together. A great deal of thanks go to her DH who steadfastly sat by and listened to grown adults gush over the baeuty we find in perfume. I don't think he was as enchanted as I was, at least at the conversation.
    After all of that and after reading the previous posters it just seemed right to join the Guerlain Gang today in:

Guerlain Mouchoir de Monsieur

I love weaing the old classic Guerlains and while I feel they are timeless I also feel they hearken back to a slightly different era, too. I've also heard that this 1904 creation of Jacques Guerlain is supposed to be the EdT version of Jicky. I don't think I'm ready to go that far as I think the similarities have more to do with being Guerlain than trying to be a different version of an earlier creation. From the top it is lemon and lavender with a little bergamot and this is one of the deepest lavenders I've come to wear. I certainly find it deeper than Jicky's start on me. The floral heart of this is gorgeous as a light rose replaces the lavender and this is done in stages and when the lavender and rose are in balance at the interface of the top and heart, my heart like the Grinch's grows two sizes. The base is where the civet note which I think is what everyone seizes on to make the comaprison to Jicky appears. Here I find the civet to be more prominent, than in Jicky, and in perfect balance with the classic Guerlinade finish. Mouchoir de Monsieur translates to "gentleman's handkerchief" and it does remind you of a time and place where gentlemen carried and wore a handkerchief. What I find so amazing is it still feels relevant over a 100 years after its creation.

Have a Soulful Saturday everyone.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

L'Artisan Parfumeur • TIMBUKTU

I hope everyone is doing well!

Today started in Folie de Figue
    and now I'm in
    Eau Parfumée au Thé Vert Extreme.
    Yes, the Spring is finally here, magnolia is in bloom
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

First of all, Happy Actual Birthday to lievje!!! I hope you've had a great day! Here's a special bedtime treat, just for you:

I'm still recovering from sinus and chest congestion, so my sniffer is a little off. However, I've managed to test four Laura Tonatto fragrances (thank you, socalwoman, for sharing these samples!). A quick rundown:

Dama - Soft ambery floral, slightly powdery. Very feminine.
    Amir - Rich orange, wood, and amber. Powerful and warm.
    Plaisir - Very sweet, creamy fruit and vanilla, to my nose.
    Iss - Sort of a complex citrus and vetiver.

Love the Iss, and find the Amir somewhat appealing. Dama and Plaisir were too sweet for me.

Wore 2 drops of Annick Goutal Myrrhe Ardente before I went to sleep. Sweet and meditating. A great bedtimne scent.

Sending my hugs to those who need them.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

C&S No. 88 tonight
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Only The Brave by Diesel
    Gary

SotN continuing the patchouli theme with Serge Lutens Borneo 1834 (although I would not say the patchouli in White Patchouli is anything like the patch in Borneo, lol).

Santal Blanc for me.