Code of Conduct

Default Citrus/Lemon Leather

I'm looking to purchase a citursy/lemony leather scent and looking for any advice.

I already have Givenchy Gentleman, which I really enjoy but find its longevity to be very poor, even though initially near overpowering.

I have also tried Versace l'Homme, which again I liked, but am now just looking for something different - to me, part of the enjoyment of fragrances is finding and trying new ones rather than sticking with old reliables. (I can equate this to my other love, wine, where, having enjoyed a fine bottle, I tend to look for something new, rather than purchase it again and again).

I have looked at two scents in particular, Gianfranco Ferre for Man (1986) and Bogart
    (1975). Both sound like what I am looking for. Can anyone offer any views on those or indeed any other alternate fragrances worth considering?

Default Re: Citrus/Lemon Leather

My favourite from this genre is Acqua di Parma's Colognia Intensa. The soft leather is amazing, and lemony citrus abundant.

Aoud lether is a lethery, aoud and lemons.
    very fresh oud citrus.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    My favourite from this genre is Acqua di Parma's Colognia Intensa. The soft leather is amazing, and lemony citrus abundant.
    I totally agree with Dimitri.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Everlast Original 1910 is a grapefruit leather.

I can't, personally, recommend them - they're just the ones that sprang to mind immediately:

Acqua di Parma's Colognia Intensa
    Dior's Eau Sauvage Fraîcheur Cuir

Eau d'Hermes perhaps. Just be ready for the cumin/cinnamon spicy notes but it really does dry down beautifully. Smooth and classy. And if you are looking for something different, this is definitely different.
    Last edited by nthny; 25th April 2009 at 06:58 PM.

+1 ^ Amazing the ADP people could improve on the original, but they did. The dry down is so great and it lasts a long time.
    Last edited by adonis; 25th April 2009 at 07:40 PM.

Acqua di Parma's Colognia Intensa, as the others mentioned, is fantastic. To this citrus-lover, it's all lemon pulp, peel, pit and leather. The long, slow drydown is quite an adventure.
    Don a wig of larks and fly!

Quote Originally Posted by nthny View Post
    Eau d'Hermes perhaps. Just be ready for the cumin/cinnamon spicy notes but it really does dry down beautifully. Smooth and classy. And if you are looking for something different, this is definitely different.
    EdH is one of my absolute favorites, but for me neither the citrus nor leathery notes stand out as much as the spice notes do. A great, great fragrance, however.

Banned

Find yourself a pre-reformulation bottle of Hermes Bel Ami. The citrus isn't prominent, but it's definitely in the leather accord. I would say Eau Sauvage Fraicheur Cuir, but it's basically Eau Sauvage with a hint of amber/leather in the drydown. The Bel Ami's leather is more prominent, just try to get the old 'cocktail shaker' style bottle because the reformulation in the standard Hermes bottle is more of a leather chypre without the so much citrus in the topnotes.

Eau d'Hermes is a fantastic fragrance, but the leather isn't apparant until deep into the drydown, into the final hours of the base. Although not lemon and leather, Helmut Lang Cuiron has plum and leather.

This is the first thing that came to my mind as well...

Guerlain Vetiver is citrus, vetiver, aldehydes, leather and tobacco. Guerlain Habit Rouge is citrus, vanilla, rosewood, leather, resins. In both, I'd say the leather is subtle but very enjoyable.

Hermes, Bel Ami

Guerlain Habit Rouge Legere is a good option.. Just bought a bottle of this

Even the original Eau Sauvage might work. Antaeus has a slight lemony opening, before entirely turning into leather.

Getting the hint yet?

While you're at it, do try the other two AdPs - the original and Assoluta, just for comparison if you're new to the house. They're all good. In fact, my sotd is Assoluta but I wished I had the original for this balmy Spring morning.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

cuir di russie by creed is just lemon and leather and nothing else.

Sybaris/Antonio Puig
    Loewe para hombre
    Last edited by Bossa Nova; 29th April 2009 at 05:29 AM.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

Montale's Royal Aoud is grapefruit and kumquat over a leathery, resinous aoud note.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Another vote for Acqua di Parma's Colognia Intensa. It's a great scent - the citrus and leather elements are really well balanced. Unlike Adonis, though, I find that it doesn't have great longevity - three to four hours, by which time it has faded to almost nothing.

go with the original gianfranco ferre(1986). this is exactly what you look for: starts as fresh citrus/lemon and dries as very elegant leather. this fragrance is so unique , elegant and evolving and is a hidden gem . i am a perfume "junkie "and i consider ferre my best ever fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by Largo View Post
    Another vote for Acqua di Parma's Colognia Intensa. It's a great scent - the citrus and leather elements are really well balanced. Unlike Adonis, though, I find that it doesn't have great longevity - three to four hours, by which time it has faded to almost nothing.

Isn't that interesting. I put some on yesterday evening and I can still smell it this AM. I think I love the drydown so much that I'm really sensitive to it.

Thanks for all the responses and suggestions. I'm particularly intrigued by strong support for Acqua di Parma's Colognia Intensa, a scent with which I am not at all familiar but which I certainly be looking out for now!

Re my initial nominations for this type of scent - Bogart and G Ferre (1986), I have found that I can get bottle of either for approx €20. Both are subject of positive review on BN. Damon seems particularly keen on GF - any other experiences of either?

Ferre is great aromatic (herbs, fir and spices) in beginning fragrance. I wear it not so often.
    Also Pontaccio 21 by Ferre could be great for citrus-leather appeal.

Bogart is great and cheap fragrance. It was very popular here in Russia amongst men with classic attitude (to wear frag just because others wear it too).

I`d suggest Cravache by Robert Piguet - really good and simple lemon-leather cologne. I wonder why nobody mentioned brilliant Knize Ten, Gomma by Etro and other usual suspects of leathery theme... They are all about citruses that goes leathery way.

And second old bottle of Bel Ami by Hermes. Lemon, vetiver and spiced leather are very good balanced and it has perfect classic feel.
    Vetiver The Great!!!