Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default i *love* guerlain vetiver, but it smells like old guy to others... help!

Hello All,

I've been on a search for a nice, small fragrance wardrobe that I absolutely love and is versatile enough for all situations... 4 scents or so, good for winter night/winter day, summer night/summer day, casual/formal/romantic. So far, I've tried almost every one of the most reviewed scents on Basenotes.

I quite like a few: Versace Dreamer, L'Eau D'Issey Miyake, Dior Fahrenheit (to the point where I might buy these...)

I find a few pleasant: Burberry Brit, Dolce & Gabbana pour homme, Cool Water, Paco Rabanne XS;

A couple are passable: Chrome by Azzaro, CK One, Swiss Army, Acqua di Gio, Gucci pour homme, Terre d'Hermes;

And some I would never wear at all: A*Men, Gucci Envy, Givenchy Pi.

I have a whole bunch on the way that I'm going to try: Gucci pour homme II, YSL M7, YSL Rive Gauche, Chanel Egoiste, Chanel Platinum Egoiste, Chanel Anteaus, Sean John Unforgivable, Azzaro pour homme, Mugler Cologne, Curve.

But above all else, I absolutely LOVE Guerlain Vetiver. Its the first cologne I've ever tried that I've really actually quite fallen in love with. The problem is, though, on asking a couple of people on their perception of it on me, they've suggested that it smells like old person. I know, I know - I should be wearing a scent for me more than for others, but it still matters to me what others think.

Its clear that I like green scents (Fahrenheit, Vetiver), so is there anything similar to Guerlain's Vetiver that smells more contemporary? Mugler Cologne may fit that requirement. Any other suggestions would be completely appreciated. (Comments about how I shouldn't care about what other people think and how Guerlain's Vetiver is awesome and doesn't smell like old person would be appreciated as well.

Also, if you can find any sort of pattern in my scent preferences, that would be great as well for choosing future scents to try! I think that I like green scents and fresh/aqua scents, but not heavy incense/woody scents or gourmands, but I'm not 100% sure.

Thanks in advance. I love the forum and I'm looking forward to engaging more with the community!
    S
    Last edited by killer_deep; 26th April 2009 at 04:32 AM.

Default Re: i *love* guerlain vetiver, but it smells like old guy to others... help!

Guerlain Vetiver Extreme

Default Re: i *love* guerlain vetiver, but it smells like old guy to others... help!

If you like aquatics try to find a sample of Heeley's Sel Marin - very good example of that style, I think.

If you like Vetiver you could give Carlo Corinto Vetyver or Floris Vetiver a try. Floris is the more easy-going of the two scents, but I think Carlo Corinto is about to become one of my most frequently worn scents...
    - E.J.

Mugler Cologne IMO is nothing close to Vetiver by Guerlain, as Mugler is like soapy citrus on steroids with a touch of vetiver. I do love Mugler Cologne though - you might really enjoy it, since it's fresh, young and sexy.

In terms of something closer to Guerlain's Vetiver, I think that Vetiver Extraordinare might suit the job. Maybe Creed's vintage Vetiver might work too, but I haven't tried it - maybe others can fill in here and say whether it would work.
    Sales thread here

Banned

My first thoughts are you should wear what you love.... I'm not sure who thinks Guerlain Vetiver smells like 'old man', but I'd bet they don't know about fragrances and are making some other association. If you like it you should enjoy it! Would you not wear your favorite shirt b/c someone else didn't like it? Probably not. Certainly many people on this forum love GV. I just read Somerville Metro Man's data threads and it was the most worn fragrance by this forum for the last year by a wide margin. Certainly this isn't a forum of all old men!

On the other hand there's nothing wrong with discovery of new things (but don't abandon GV b/c of a couple people's comments). Fahrenheit is a great classic, you can't go wrong there. If it's the vetiver you like in GV maybe a 'fresher' vetiver, like Floris Vetiver or Anick Goutal Vetiver. Roger & Gallet makes a very fresh, lemony vetiver. There are stronger vetivers like Etro Vetiver or if you feel like spending a lot of money Chanel Sycomore is good.

Looking at your 'likes' they are in many different genres, and what you don't like are gourmands/orientals. You probably won't like M7, but you very well may like M7 Fresh. Maybe put Chanel Allure Homme Sport and/or Edition Blanche on your 'to try' list. Other possibilities are Prada Amber Pour Homme and Prada Infusion d'Homme (both good). I'll thinnk of more, but I'm tired now.

Yep, if you like it, wear it!

My suggestions for Vetiver fragrances:

Tauer's Vetiver Dance
    Montale Red Vetyver
    Comme Des Garcons "Vetiveru"
    FM's Vetiver Extraordinaire

As well, Mugler Cologne is fantastic. I liked it so much that I gave it to my girlfriend, and now I get to smell it way more often. (It's very unisex, in a good way.)

I don't like GV at all (smells like dental cement to my untrained nose), but I really like the smell of Creed Original Vetiver. Plus, you can tell your friends that Elvis and JFK wore it.

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    I don't like GV at all (smells like dental cement to my untrained nose), but I really like the smell of Creed Original Vetiver. Plus, you can tell your friends that Elvis and JFK wore it.
    Creed Original Vetiver, hmm - that reminds me - you'll see a million arguments about Cool Water smelling like Green Irish Tweed, but there is many, many more similarities between Original Vetiver and Mugler's Cologne. It is definitely not worth the price difference. Original Vetiver is a little more leafy in the basenotes, while Cologne is more musky. However, they're essentially the same. Cologne even gets better longevity on me.

Quote Originally Posted by dynendal View Post
    Creed Original Vetiver, hmm - that reminds me - you'll see a million arguments about Cool Water smelling like Green Irish Tweed, but there is many, many more similarities between Original Vetiver and Mugler's Cologne. It is definitely not worth the price difference. Original Vetiver is a little more leafy in the basenotes, while Cologne is more musky. However, they're essentially the same. Cologne even gets better longevity on me.
    I've read that before here on BN, but I don't quite get the similarities, especially in the opening.

Before we help you answer this question, you've got to explain one thing... How did you go 2 1/2 years and only make 5 posts?!

At this rate, it will take you 476 years to reach post #1000!
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

How about Guerlain Vetiver Frozen?

Although I strongly doubt there is much truth to the matter, Elvis and JFK are said to have worn Creed's vintage Vetiver, not Creed's Original Vetiver. The latter was created in 2004. Wearing a scent because a celebrity supposedly wore it is a sham anyway, especially when you hear it from Creed. But fun nonetheless

Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post
    Before we help you answer this question, you've got to explain one thing... How did you go 2 1/2 years and only make 5 posts?!

The KING of lurkers reveals himself LOL

Welcome, erhhh, to the BN community....
    Last edited by L'Aventurier; 26th April 2009 at 06:29 AM.
    Sales thread here

Quote Originally Posted by L'aventurier View Post
    Although I strongly doubt there is much truth to the matter, Elvis and JFK are said to have worn Creed's vintage Vetiver, not Creed's Original Vetiver. The latter was created in 2004. Wearing a scent because a celebrity supposedly wore it is a sham anyway, especially when you hear it from Creed. But fun nonetheless

You mean Cary Grant, who died in 1986 didn't wear GIT, which was created in 1985?
    Last edited by adonis; 26th April 2009 at 06:32 AM.

Welcome to the forum. I also got feedback about GV smelling "old". Didn't matter to me as GV was not to my liking.

Please try Mugler Cologne for a fresh, modern vetiver implementation and for an earthier accord go for Malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire. Neither of those 2 have the tobacco accord that the Guerlain has.

Sur la Plage

I also agree with trying Mugler Cologne and CdG Vettiveru. But they still won't be the same as Guerlain Vetiver......
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Hah!

I went through an early phase on basenotes, when I tried a lot of the best selling classics - Cool Water, Aqua di Gio, Romance, Polo, etc etc. Then I basically lost interest in scents altogether (including wearing any of them) for about two years.

For some reason, I got interested again. The idea of wearing a scent to make myself happy and be noticed and express a personality was much more appealing than trying to impress girls (I've been with the same wonderful woman for over 6 years). So, here I am with a "fresh" take on the cologne hobby.

Some background: I'm 24 years old, in my 2nd year of my PhD in experimental psychology, am 5'7" 130 lbs and definitely not a manly man. I'm an intellectual/thinker type, and I'm not trying to really impress anyone... just trying to find scents that best reflect me.

Thanks for the tremendous feedback... I'm hoping that Mugler's cologne will smell great to me and work with my skin. If not though, some of you are right - who cares what other people think. This scent is for me, to reflect who I am. And if smelling classy, clean, and fresh is wrong, well... I don't want to be right.

Regards all,
    S

Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post

Sticking with vetiver, another one you might try is Le Vetiver by Lubin. It's fresher and lighter than the Guerlain, with a ginger note rather than the tobacco of the Guerlain.

noggs

Mugler lacks the deep rich sandal of OV. While OV retains the vetiver hour after hour, Mugler's seems to finish into a lackluster sweetish drydown rather soon. OV is worth the difference. They do seem the same at first though.

I think that you should stick (among other great fragrances yet to be tried) to GV too, since it does not smell old, but TIMELESS!

Some people just don't like Vetiver at all. Take me for example. I have a big 125ml bottle of Guerlain Vertiver. On first spritz, I sense something special here. I find it unique. Clean and classy. BUT just not for me. I just don't really care much for Vetiver.

There was a HUGE vetiver thread here somewhere--it resurfaces from time to time. This amazing thread has comprehensive reviews of most of the vetiver fragrances talked about here. Might be worth a search!

I did alot of vetiver sampling, and it turns out, vetiver is in quite a few fragrances without necessarily being the main attraction. Of the vetiver scents I tried, I liked Guerlain Vetiver and CdG Vettiveru the best. Vettiveru is not as long lived, but it is light, fresh and great for warmer weather.

The vetiver fragrance I ended up buying...Guerlain Mitsouko EDP (new release). It has a strong vetiver component in the mid notes and it does not get smoky in the drydown. The EDT is more about the vetiver than the EDP, and I considered buying this one too. I also found Balmain Jolie Madame (new release) to have a really prominent vetiver note (along with a smidgeon of oakmoss). JM does get a bit smokey, but it is not quite as strong as the GV drydown.

Oh, and wear what you want
    Last edited by Asha; 26th April 2009 at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    There was a HUGE vetiver thread here somewhere--it resurfaces from time to time. This amazing thread has comprehensive reviews of most of the vetiver fragrances talked about here. Might be worth a search!
    Your wish is my command: Vetiver Redux-Update (five new scents added!)
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

If you like Vetiver you should try Original Vetiver, which smells far more "modern" than Guerlain Vetiver or Armani Prive Vetiver Babylone, which I absolutely adore, and it is a modern citrus-vetiver scent. Personally, I find Vetiver Babylone quite versatile, maybe you will as well. Unfortunately, I don't have too much experience with Guerlain's Vetiver, because as much as I love Vetiver, every time I go to smell Guerlain's I get turned off by the tobacco. Some other good vetiver scents are :

Racine
    Encre Noir
    and even though it's rediculously hard to sample my favorite: Guerlain Vetiver Pour Elle
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

I think that if someone is looking for an unconventional vetiver Lalique Encre noir is a good way to go. GV is a very nice scent, not my favorite vetiver, but by all means other people's opinions shouldn't keep you from wearing if you love it.
    Last edited by cpk; 26th April 2009 at 03:28 PM.

I think you'll end up coming back to Guerlain Vetiver. Plenty of the others will please you for sure, but the great feeling any scent gives you (doesn't matter which) isn't one that gets replaced.

Further, if you wear Guerlain Vetiver for a month straight it won't smell old at all. It'll smell like you to you and all who smell you. You will have conditioned their noses to knowing it is YOU and not some straw man they smell.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

You might want to check out Azzaro Pure Vetiver - it has the same knockout power and sillage as Azzaro Chrome, and no other vetiver smells quite like it.
    Renato

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    I think you'll end up coming back to Guerlain Vetiver. Plenty of the others will please you for sure, but the great feeling any scent gives you (doesn't matter which) isn't one that gets replaced.

Further, if you wear Guerlain Vetiver for a month straight it won't smell old at all. It'll smell like you to you and all who smell you. You will have conditioned their noses to knowing it is YOU and not some straw man they smell.
    Totally agree
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Excellent posts everyone, thank you very much for the advice and links.

DustB - yours was a particularly excellent point. You can never discount the power of associative learning...

It seems like most "modern" scents today are either cloyingly sweet, or ridiculously aquatic. I know that this is an exaggeration of the highest degree and that there are a lot of excellent modern scents, but the "young kids" seem to wear stuff like acqua di gio, cool water, fierce, curve, l'eau d'issey (which I actually like ) and others. So, expose people that have only smelled this stuff 99% of the time, and you're automatically weird.

That Mugler's Cologne becomes sweet at the tail end of the drydown might make it smell more "contemporary". I'll give a few of the suggestions a try and report back, but it really feels like I found "the one" in Guerlain's Vetiver...

Thanks again
    S

You might want to consider CdG Man 2. According to the LuckyScent description:
    2 MAN Notes
    incense, white smoke, saffron flowers, nutmeg, vetiver roots, mahogany, leather

Encre Noire maybe? the different approach to Vetivers I adore EN
    Tell Hugo, he isnt boss anymore.
    Nieruchomości Gorzów

You mean Cary Grant, who died in 1986 didn't wear GIT, which was created in 1985?
    LOL I love the infamous Cary Grant sales pitch.
    Sales thread here

Guerlain Vetiver is one of my favorites and frankly it makes me want to try all the vetivers out there. This "old man" thing is bemusing. It depends on your frame of reference. To a 21-year-old, and old man is anyone over 40, so a Pierce Brosnan might wear it. But to me, age 47, old is more like 75 and older -- I'm picturing.....some grey-hair wrinkled geezer (my apologies to those of you who fit that description!).

I hope GV and all its cultivars out there are being made long after they've slammed the lid down on my coffin! :-)

I think scent has no age. If you like it wear it.
    I am surprised there is a vetiver scentric thread and nobody has mentioned Sycomore. You may want to try that one too. I second Lubin's Vetiver, very nice.
    I need to get a sample of Vetiver pour Elle. I got some samples from TPC this week, they were all Guerlains, but I forgot to order Vetiver pour Elle
    Evenstar

Thank the Pong Gods for showing you that you need new friends. Non-ageist ones.

Banned

Not that this is a recommendation for the thread-starter, but on the topic of vetiver I just came home from a business trip to find my bottle of LesNez Turtle Vetiver Exercise No.1 waiting for me! The bottle is individually numbered (nice touch, btw) and so very "this is not for marketing" (paper sticker label, no box). The vetiver itself is fantastic...dark and earthy, very natural. I want to say it's javanese-sourced oil but I'm not exactly sure. It's dark and has bite like Etro's Vetiver but smoother. I've only had it on for 20 minutes so I'll report back (or perhaps start a thread) after I've given it a couple wears. So far so good... I don't know if there are any bottles left but since only 80 were made worldwide I'd encourage anyone interested to get one soon!

honestly
    I dont like it either
    I dont get the hype
    it smells way too soapy with a massive Hay note in there
    eww?
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Vetiver Tonka
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Quote Originally Posted by DreamerII View Post
    Vetiver Tonka
    This is wicked. i love it very much. it's however unlike GV, EN, VE

Talking Re: i *love* guerlain vetiver, but it smells like old guy to others... help!

Hi I confirm the tittle of the post,smells like old guy
    #TOP 5#: Polo Crest, Romeo Gigli,Jockey Club C&M, Jean Pascal Homme,Floris N 89

Guerlain Vetiver works well for me in the hot weather. Not many guys use it here and so its unique. I feel it does not smell like old guy.

So Elvis and JFK are still alive??? Creed Original Vetiver was released in 2004!

I occasionally have this problem when somebody recognizes this scent because it has been around for awhile. It will smell like "old guy" b/c it has been around for quite some time. Some (including myself) might even consider this scent a classic. I wear it regardless of the reaction I get from some people because of how much I enjoy the scent.

If you're looking for a vetiver that's more modern/contemporary I would try Frederic Malle/Dominique Ropion's Vetiver Extraordinaire.

I was going to chime in and then not, and then again wanted to say something, and not, and now I want to comment after all. I had that impression about Guerlain Vetiver the first time I smelled it over a year ago. It wasn't a gentleman fragrance to me, but it rather reminded me of my grandmother, because she used to always use Ponds Cold Cream and while I'm not saying that Vetiver smells like cold cream, the opening of Vetiver has a smooth cleanliness to it so that it smells fresh but in an almost "skin care product way".... for a little while..........................................

but in about an hour, that sensation completely dissipates and the fragrance is just a stunning, bright vetiver. I can't imagine how anyone in your vicinity could think it smells anything but lovely. I think if you love it you should purchase it. You won't regret it I'm sure (and if you do you can always sell it easily here). Although sometimes holding off a while increases the love. I know it does for me.

Have you tried other Guerlains? Maybe it isn't the vetiver note that you fell in love with but the Guerlinade. There is no escaping the maturity of all Guerlain scents, but like the boxer who hits above his weight, maybe a little added maturity and gravitas is not such a bad thing? If you can find it, I think that Guerlain's Vetiver is best in aftershave strength.

Update to the saga.

My quest was to acquire a small but versatile wardrobe of 4 or 5 fragrances that encompass all situations. I just bought two that I loved (Guerlain Vetiver and Versace Dreamer), and one blind based on reviews (Rive Gauche) on ebay. To hell with what people think re: GV; I feel that as a scent nothing could possible reflect "me" more, and the comments suggesting that people will come to associate the smell with me are definitely right. Nobody wears it around this area, and whats the point of smelling like every other university student on the planet with a fresh/aqua? At least I'll be noticed, if not "mauled" by women.

At any rate, here's how my wardrobe is looking so far:

Summer day: Guerlain Vetiver
    Summer night: Versace Dreamer
    Winter day: Rive Gauche?
    Winter night: Dior Fahrenheit
    Sporty/casual: L'eau d'Issey pour Homme

And here's a summary of all I've tried and how they rank. Can anyone "distill" my tastes down in terms of types/notes of fragrances that appear to be common among my likes and dislikes? You guys have much more experience than I do.

Love It:

Guerlain Vetiver
    Versace Dreamer
    Dior Fahrenheit
    Azzaro pour homme

Like It:

Swiss Army
    Cool Water
    M7
    D&G pour homme
    Antaeus

Passable/Mediocre:

Egoiste
    CK One
    Paco XS
    Gucci pour homme
    Sean John Unforgivable
    Platinum Egoiste
    Liz Clairborne Curve
    Azzaro Chrome
    Acqua di Gio
    A*men
    Gucci Envy
    Terre d'hermes
    Gucci pour homme II

Still to try (samples coming in the mail):

Dior Homme
    L'anarchiste
    L'instant de Guerlain
    YSL L'homme
    Burberry London
    Michael Kors
    Guerlain Habit Rouge
    Armani Black Code
    Rive Gauche
    Bulgari Black
    Versace pour Homme
    Mugler Cologne
    Anick Goutal Vetiver
    Lubin Vetiver
    Lalique Encre Noir
    Lanvin Vetyver
    Dior Eau Savage
    Guerlain Habit Rouge

Thanks for all the replies.

Any comments on the wardrobe, my likes/dislikes, or anything at all appreciated!

S
    Last edited by killer_deep; 1st May 2009 at 09:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post

I feel this post is the most accurate. It kinda goes like this: if you wear something you love, you'll feel and act more confident in them, which in turn will make people like you and all that is associated with you. That kind of confidence reminds me of wearing an authentic luxury good even when a few people around you have replicas and no one but you can tell the difference.

zara stuff is pretty good

I used to be unsure whether I hate or love GV. And yes I used to feel, its a bit like an old man. But after a while, I disagree with it. I absolutely love it now. Try wear it in the winter, I doubt they will say the same. Its a gorgeous scent. btw, anyone know how to get creed vintage vetiver?
    Last edited by djobeat; 3rd May 2009 at 01:45 AM.

I found this post in another thread, and I think its very worth quoting in the context of this thread. Basically, my search for the "perfect" fragrance (I'm pretty sure) will culminate in me wearing Guerlain Vetiver, Thierry Mugler Cologne, or Paul Smith Story every day, summer and winter.

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH
    As someone who owns many vetiver frags, vetiver root essential oils, vetiver blade/leaf oils, and having smelled lots of vetiver scents...
    Azzaro's pure vetiver does nopt smell like any type of vetiver, at all. It is green, but it is a repulsive synthetic smell. When I smell it, it makes me think that it can kill organisms much smaller than myself.
    It is awful.

If you are looking for fresh "light green" vetivers, that smell more like the leaves/blade of the plant, the Creed OV can be had for $110 for an authentic of ebay, do not buy any that costs less tahn $110, as 90% will be counterfeit. If you are looking to spend no more than $40-$65 for a decent size bottle...all the scents mentioned below can be had for that or less w/ some google/ebay.

Mugler Cologne shares the same leafy "vetiver" note that Creed's OV has, only Mugler smells more unisex/feminine, and less natural. But the mugler is very very fresh and light, not woody or herbal at all.
    Paul Smith Story is another very clean, leafy "vetiver", with a unisex/masculine green-rose note. I'm not fond of rose in men's fragrance, but in this one I like it.

Guerlain's Vetivers are a clean and masculine "emerald green", not as young/fresh/sweet as Mugler/Creed OV/Story.
    Guerlain Vetiver Sport is very fresh, with lots of Mandarin, and spicy as well, with extra red pepper.
    Guerlain Vetiver Extreme is darker, and sweeter, with a very herbal/licorice/spice undertone.
    Guerlain Vetiver, is clean, classic, and has tobacco at the base, which is absent or much less in the others.
    Don't waste time with Guerlain vetiver frozen.

Maitre's Racine is a very natural, very masculine, and very warm & pleasant Vetiver root/citrus. It occupies a space between the cleaner "medium green" Guerlain's a the "darker green/brown", rootier "True" vetivers. With Patience, a 3.3oz bottle of Racine can be found for under $65. L'Occitane Vetyver is also a good medium-to-dark Vetiver, and very reasonably priced, given it's natural quality.

Finally, are the "dark green" Vetivers, some even smell brownish-olive-drab-green, best exemplified by Etro's Vetiver or Maitre's Route De Vetiver. These are earthy, rich, woody, and focus on the root oil, as opposed to the blade/leaf. Lalique's Encre Noir is another dark Vetiver, although it is less harsh, and very natural, smooth and refined, for it's price point.

Again, starting with a Geurlain is perfect reference, because if you find it too clean and bright, go for Racine or Etro/etc......If Geurlain's is to bitter/old/masculine, try Mugler or Story.

Quote Originally Posted by TromboneGuy View Post
    If you like aquatics try to find a sample of Heeley's Sel Marin - very good example of that style, I think..
    SHHH Stop telling other people! Seriously though, Heeley Sel Marin Im afraid of it becoming my signature scent I love it so much. I still sniff my empty vial as I await my full bottle to arrive

A bit of an update to the saga.

I tried a few of the "light, leafy, green, fresh" vetiver suggestions, and here's what I thought:

Zara vetiver - not too shabby. I tried to imagine myself using it every day (like I can imagine using Guerlain Vetiver) but it wasn't happening for me. Its longevity also leaves me wanting. Still, of the "light, leafy" vetivers, its definitely the best.

Mugler Cologne - I don't know WHAT it is, but this smell makes me absolutely sick. I've never experience anything like it before... every time I smell this I feel completely nauseous and I want to vomit. Its truly awful.

Paul Smith Story - I get the exact same reaction as above, but a little bit more subdued. Its still nausea inducing.

Does anyone know what common elements are present for Mugler Cologne and Paul Smith Story that makes them so unpleasant to me?

S

I tend to say stick with what you love. Don't give it up for anyone. If you love Guerlain Vetiver, stick to it.

I do commend you for trying other vetivers though. They are all over the map and your experience with Mugler illustrates how one can love one and hate another - they are radically apart.

Three vetivers I would suggest you explore (not claiming you will like them) are: Givenchy Vetiver, Etro Vetiver and the one I like best of all: Creed's 1948 Vetiver (not original), which I find to be a fresh, summery scent.

Oh, I suppose I should add my other Vetiver (and vetiver-esque) like experiences as well.

Lanvin Vetyver - doesn't smell like vetiver at all to me, but rather, a nice, pleasant, clean scent. Sort like a toned down Geir or Allure Homme sport.

Lubin Vetyver - amazing, amazing stuff. I wouldn't buy it for regular use because of the price, but I think its very similar to Guerlain Vetiver with a sweeter, gingery opening and similar drydown. I wish I was a millionaire.

Annick Goutal Vetiver - very dry (to steal a reviewer's term) - acrid even - but still pleasant. I think this gets into the real of scents that drifts away from the area I want to be in. That is, where I love the scent, and others love (or at least like) the scent on me. This one seems like an excercise in what a scent can be. Its not beautiful, but I like it.

Encre Noir - similar to the Goutal Vetiver. Really dry, really sharp and "crunchy" smelling (I can't describe things properly, I'm a newbie). In smells like an electric shock. Again, I really like it, but would never wear it as a scent to share with others.

I tried to sample as much as I could from both sides of the vetiver continuum that others have described, from light and fresh to dry and dark. I did not like the "light" vetivers at all (except for Zara), and I enjoyed the dark ones as an excercise in what scent could be. The best was still definitely Guerlain Vetiver. The thing is a wonderful masterpiece. Soapy, clean, slightly spicy, slightly sweet, fresh but not overly fresh, excellent longevity, sillage, and an excellent price. Its as good as fragrances get, and so far I've tried about 100 samples since I decided I was going to find a new scent.

Strangely enough, the two others that I like the most and will buy for my wardrobe are Curve (casual/light), Versace the Dreamer (summer nights out), and Dior Fahrenheit (winter nights out). Guerlain Vetiver will take care of day-to-day duties year 'round.

S

This long without a mention of Vetiver Eau Glacée? It's a flanker of Gurlain Vetiver that removes the tobacco note which is probably why others think it smells like "old guy," and replaces it with vibrant citrus and mint notes, creating a much more "youthful" impression.

EDIT: Well damn, it's been mentioned. Forgot it was also known as Frozen.
    Last edited by Royal; 23rd May 2009 at 04:34 AM.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Guerlain Vetiver pour Elle!

Guerlain house - Cred

Vetiver - Guerlain quality

Light florals instead of tobacco - eliminates the "old man" vibe and adds freshness

And you have a winner!

Eat your Guerlain cake and have it.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post

Guerlain house - Cred

Light florals instead of tobacco - eliminates the "old man" vibe and adds freshness

And you have a winner!

Good idea! There are plenty of guys here that like it and I remember Turin recommending it strongly.

Dependent

Killer Deep, it seems we have alot of common interests... imma fan of fahrenheit, guerlain vetiver,XS, Coolwater, LDIssey

Based on what you mentioned and would like to have suggested,

Greens : Paco Rabanne Ph

Aquatic : Bvlgari Aqua

Fresh : Clinique Happy

I would support your trying out of m7, Kouros, RIve Gauche. Give them some extra time, coz many a times they can put one off the initial whiff, myself included. If it grows on you, im pretty certain it'll be one of your faves, but if it doesnt after multiple samplings and trials, then you porbably hate them, m7 and kouros in particular

Not big on Mugler, so i wouldnt qualify to give any suggestions...

Scentronic, i was wondering the same thing about the 2 year plus hiatus

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Hasupk@gmail.com View Post
    honestly
    I dont like it either
    I dont get the hype
    it smells way too soapy with a massive Hay note in there
    eww?
    "either"? *looks around*
    the only "hype" seems to be yours
    "soapy"? must be a niche note im missing out on.
    "HAY"????! oh wait nevermind
    "eww?" now i know what to spray on you

Kidding

ITs all subjective
    "
    Last edited by MFJ; 23rd May 2009 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post

Guerlain house - Cred

And you have a winner!

It's truly incredible, and if I didn't want so many other things I'd buy it. Problem is it's also damn expensive.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 23rd May 2009 at 02:31 PM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Dependent

Phil,im absolutely tempted with VPE as well. price seems to turn me off a little. considering i find GV perfect for my use, im not sure how much more satisfaction i would get from VPE. have you considered just getting the GV? VPE hasnt really been tried and tested by many i reckon, so id play it safe.