Code of Conduct

Default Question about CB I Hate Perfume "Water Perfume" bottles

I got a blind buy today of Mr. Hulot's Holiday by CB I Hate Perfume. I have mixed emotions about the fragrance itself. It's nice, but it's simple and reminds me of Demeter Gin & Tonic in feel. I don't know that it makes me think of the film it's named for, but I think it's a nice skin scent that I could get a lot of use out of.

HOWEVER... trying to use the atomizer is almost impossible. To get any juice to spray, I have to pump the sprayer at least 7 times before I get a couple of small dense watery shots-- and meanwhile a large amount has leaked out of the side of the nozzle and run down the side of the bottle in a lathery mess.

I get the fact that I likely just have a faulty atomizer which is the problem--but what annoys me is that the label on the bottle is just normal cheap paper-- it's in no way water resistant. Now that the bottle has leaked, the ink has run and the label is on its way to being ruined. It doesn't seem like an extraordinary request that the label on a $60 bottle of fragrance should be made to withstand a little bit of water. This line could benefit greatly by spending a few more bucks on packaging materials.

Has anyone else experienced atomizer issues with these "water perfumes?"

Default Re: Question about CB I Hate Perfume "Water Perfume" bottles

Did you buy it from a reputable store or was it from ebay? I'll ask Christopher to have a look at your comments.

Barry
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

Sounds like a faulty sprayer. I bought a bottle of Creed Green Valley off here a while back that the sprayer did the same thing (seller claimed "huh?"). A weak, wet stream with much more flowing down the side of the bottle than coming out of the nozzle. Sounds like you've got the same thing going on.

I used to have a bottle of At the Beach 1966 and it never had an issue.

Indie_Guy, I presume you have contacted CB about the problem before posting on here? Anyway, I'm sure that CB will supply a new spray mechanism if you contact them.

The thing with the CB line is that the money that you pay for the scents, is for the scents, not for some fancy packaging. The ingredients that CB uses is very high quality and I'm sure that if he spent lots of money on the packaging as well, people would say that they were too expensive.

Barry
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

I have a few bottles from CBIHP, and all the sprayers have worked nicely. As Barry mentioned, I'm sure they'll replace it for you without any problem. The sprayer unscrews easily.

ps - I have to agree with the paper label...sorta looks like someone just printed it off their home computer. I agree that the money should definitely be spent on the formula, but plastic labels aren't much more than paper these days. Perhaps Brosius has other reasons...I made the mistake of leaving a bottle in the bathroom, and the shower steam completely disolved the label.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Barry View Post
    Indie_Guy, I presume you have contacted CB about the problem before posting on here? Anyway, I'm sure that CB will supply a new spray mechanism if you contact them.

The thing with the CB line is that the money that you pay for the scents, is for the scents, not for some fancy packaging. The ingredients that CB uses is very high quality and I'm sure that if he spent lots of money on the packaging as well, people would say that they were too expensive.

Barry
    Yeah, I think the problem is that it's just a defective sprayer. I got it from an authorized retailer, so I'll probably just see if I can swap it out. I didn't want to sound like I was bashing CB for the faulty sprayer, but I was wondering if maybe it was something unique to the water based carrier, since it formed a semi-lather. I'm not knocking CB for a bad sprayer-- it happens, but the only suggestion I would make is to go to a paper label that can withstand a little humidity. I actually like the tall bottles and the cardboard can that they come in.

On to the scent itself, I wore it last night and though I found it simple at first it did grow on me. The water -based carrier was strange to get used to--I'm not a person who likes or needs a lot of sillage, but it seemed a little weak to me in the beginning. After a few hours however I noticed that it was still there quite solidly and I was enjoying the experience of wearing it quite a bit. I also do agree with your statement that the ingredients are of a high quality and I'll state my opinion that CB is a supremely talented/original perfumer. Once I get this sprayer swapped, I'll probably wear Mr. Hulot's Holiday often.

Last edited by Indie_Guy; 27th April 2009 at 12:34 AM. Reason: typo

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    On to the scent itself, I wore it last night and though I found it simple at first it did grow on me. The water -based carrier was strange to get used to--I'm not a person who likes or needs a lot of sillage, but it seemed a little weak to me in the beginning. After a few hours however I noticed that it was still there quite solidly and I was enjoying the experience of wearing it quite a bit. I also do agree with your statement that the ingredients are of a high quality and I'll state my opinion that CB is a supremely talented/original perfumer. Once I get this sprayer swapped, I'll probably wear Mr. Hulot's Holiday often.
    You mean you can actually smell the water carrier that he uses to dilute the fragrances in? Really? I have smelled a handful of CBIHP scents and I never really detected any 'smell' per se...maybe I wasn't paying attention.

I liked MHH but not enough to warrant it FBW. I really, really want a bottle of Black March though. Love that stuff.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    You mean you can actually smell the water carrier that he uses to dilute the fragrances in? Really? I have smelled a handful of CBIHP scents and I never really detected any 'smell' per se...maybe I wasn't paying attention.
    It's the sensation of the water as opposed to the familiar feel of alcohol that was strange in the beginning. The only thing you smell is the fragrance itself, not the alcohol-- which is great. Mr. Hulot's Holiday is such a delicate smell that I imagine if it were diluted in alcohol, it would ruin the experience of the opening. However, after a couple of days with this one, I find that I even prefer the water-based carrier to alcohol. It feels good on the skin, and the fragrance does last--even through a shower. I think what threw me off a little about Mr. Hulot's Holiday was its soapiness-- like some of the reviews have said, it's kind of an "out of the shower" smell. But it's not a harsh kind of soapiness. It's very gentle, mild and relaxing. And while the notes of the ocean, leather suitcases aren't as obvious as one would expect, this fragrance suggests a quiet expanse of open space, where these sorts of smells come together in aggregate.

Now that I understand the aesthetic of this line a little better, I'm going to check out some of the others-- probably WInter 1972, At the Beach 1966 and In the Library.

Indie,
    You should check out Russian Caravan Tea and Black March.
    I have spent some time with a bunch of CB's fragrances, and they seem to fall into some general categories. He does the whole fresh/ozonic/aquatic thing really well at times - I think MHH is the best of that group, though I really like Just Breathe also - it has a nice green/incense base that is really nice.
    The other obvious group is the dirt/earthy accord - Black March and Wild Hunt are my favorites. Russian Caravan Tea is a sort of combining of these. It has a shining lemon note on the top, followed by smokey black tea and earth underneath. Nice stuff.
    I found a shop in my area that carries the whole line. Dangerous stuff.
    Te whole water aesthetic is really interesting. It gives his fragrances an interesting tone. It's not so much a smell as difference in tone. It takes some getting used to, but I find that it gives some clarity to very subtle notes that the alcohol based fragrances might normally miss.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits