Code of Conduct

Default SotY; Artisanal Houses Ava Luxe & Neil Morris

SotY: Artisanal Houses Ava Luxe and Neil Morris

I've gone on about the big Houses but I thought it would also be interesting to look at a couple of artisanal Houses. The small artisanal Houses all share a few characteristics. They are generally run by one single nose and they sometimes have well over 50 different scents available. Some examples of these kinds of Houses are Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab (BPAL), Possets, Dawn Spencer Hurwitz, Michael Storer, La Via del Profumo, Ayala Moriel, and Liz Zorn/Soivohle. As I mentioned in the women's top 10 the women are much more likely to find these Houses and explore them first. Their exploration would spread to the guys who pay attention to the women's board and there would be some exploration by the guys. The two Houses I'm going to talk about today are examples of artisanal Houses that took two different paths to visibility

Ava Luxe was primarily a women's House with 87% of the wears coming from the women. This is clearly shown in the graph as you see the totals spike from the moment the women joined in Week 10. Even with the slow start Ava Luxe averaged 11.19 wears/week spread out over 88 different scents. Ava Luxe was mostly word-of-mouth amongst the women as they talked about her scents quite a bit and they were recommended extensively. This led to Love's True Bluish Light being one of the top 10 women's scents for the year.
    Neil Morris started the same way as the women had a thread devoted to his scents but over time some of the guys, your author being one of them, started to try his scents and really liked them. That didn't really gain the House much traction as in the first 19 weeks the House averaged 2.10 wears/week. It wasn't until a banner ad that was at the top of the forum offering 15% off went up that things started to heat up for Neil Morris. That ad was followed by a thread asking if Neil Morris scents were any good and that began discussion of the scents that the guys and some of the women had tried. That led to some pretty extensive sampling and talk about his scents and I would guess it led to some sales in the end. The wear totals rose to 9.45 wears/week in weeks 20-30. After the banner came down so did the wear totals. But the average wears stayed higher post-sale than they were before as they came in at 4.45 wears/week over the rest of the year. Just as was the case with Montale if you have some good product and you offer this community a deal it will respond. The overall average for Neil Morris was 4.11 wears/week over 54 different scents.
    All of the other artisanal Houses followed the path of Ava Luxe and they rose and/or fell based on the word-of-mouth on the boards.
    That's it for artisanal Houses.
    Back tomorrow with why the women are more diverse than the men.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: SotY; Artisanal Houses Ava Luxe & Neil Morris

That was an intersting read ! I'm an Ava Luxe fan .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Blog Entries

Thanks for posting that. I am curious about Ava Luxe, not having tried any of the fragrances yet.

We are more diverse than the men because we have that extra chromosome, SMM!

I can attest to the "word of mouth effect" -- I got half a dozen of Ava Luxe samples, and am contemplating a purchase. I've not heard of Ava Luxe before I joined BaseNotes.

I'm yet to try any Neil Morris scents, but keep hearing of him here.

I'll testify to it as well. I'd never have known about or tried Ava Luxe it it wasn't for Basenotes. I am now the proud owner of a handful of full bottles of her perfumes and admire her enormously. Two of her scents (No 23 and Madeline) are regulars to the point where I have had to force myself to wear something else.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    We are more diverse than the men because we have that extra chromosome, SMM!
    *LOL* Agreed !

I love Ava Luxe and Serena is lovely. I adore Midnight Violet - I am three bottles of MV extrait-rich and I am crazy for LTBL- husband is also addicted to it I think .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.