Code of Conduct

Default SotY: Warm-Weather vs. Cold-Weather

SotY: Warm Weather vs. Cold Weather

I wish I could say it was by design but it was more dumb luck that the stats broke almost perfectly into two halves. The first half of March through August covered most of the warm-weather months in the Northern Hemisphere and September thorough February the cold-weather months. This really allowed me to look back over the year and make some observations.
    Observation one: There are more warm-weather options
    The individuality index was sharply lower once we moved into the colder months with the average over the last six months being 3.80% lower. 41.98% for the first six months vs. 38.18% for the last six months. This was clearly due to a smaller rotation for many of the posters. As the mercury dropped so did a number of scents by the way side. The best example of this were the two Creed standard bearers Green Irish Tweed and Bois du Portugal. All through the first half of the year Green Irish Tweed was up there in wears and especially as we moved into July and August Bois du Portugal nearly faded away for good. Then the fall came and the reverse happened Bois du Portugal arose from the dead and started to show up in the top 10 constantly and Green Irish Tweed fell to earth. The lesson here is aquatic scents do well in warm weather and there are many, many more of those available especially on the masculine side of things. As the weather turns colder the scents can become a little heavier and carry a little more weight. Especially for the guys the options in that arena begin to become limited and so scents like Chanel Antaeus start to rise in wears.
    Observation two: Vetiver the note is king in warm-weather
    Guerlain Vetiver was the SotY but in the heat of summer vetiver the note is also king. Through July and August most of the vetiver-centric scents hit their peak wear weeks. Almost half of the yearly wears of scents like Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire, Mugler Cologne, and Lalique Encre Noire came during that 9 week period. When it is hot outside a Basenoter wants to wear vetiver.
    Observation three: During the Holiday season we want to wear classy scents
    As much as we began to constrict our choices in the cold-weather the combination of weather and Holidays really made for a limited selection. During the time from Thanksgiving to the New Year the individuality index plumbed new lows as the community as a whole turned towards a specific subset of scents. One common characteristic of this subset was they had a holiday theme as in Caron Nuit de Noel or they were uniformly characterized as classy, Chanel Egoiste is an example of this.
    That's the story on warm-weather vs. cold-weather and how we wear our scents based on the temperature outside.
    Back tomorrow with a look at the other end of the House spectrum as we look at two artisanal Houses in Ava Luxe and Neil Morris.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Default Re: SotY: Warm-Weather vs. Cold-Weather

Very interesting, SMM. Another great analysis.

I've been rolling around in my head the warm v. cold weather issue. In Southern California, we mostly only have warm weather, so sometimes I feel like I'm missing out on really enjoying the cold-weather scents.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Blog Entries

Default Re: SotY: Warm-Weather vs. Cold-Weather

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    Observation one: There are more warm-weather options
    The individuality index was sharply lower once we moved into the colder months with the average over the last six months being 3.80% lower.
    This is very interesting and surprising to me. I'm trying to expand my summer wardrobe and make myself stop buying scents based on incense, woods, amber, leather and such, but considering my recent purchases of Tabac Blond, Amber Soie, and Feminite du Bois, I'm not doing so good!
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous