Code of Conduct

Talking Ambre Sultan or Blue Amber

After hearing a lot of good thing about Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens, I tested a sample of it and just can't get enough of it.

Also I've been reading a lot of good stuff about Blue Amber by Montale; it supposedly lasts more than 24 hours on your skin and is a major compliment getter.

So which one is the better scent and why? Ambre Sultan or Blue Amber.
    A king is not put in a palace before it is adorned. A heart's treasure is unlocked only when that heart is purified.

Default Re: Ambre Sultan or Blue Amber

Ambre Sultan because it develops more. I found Blue Amber to be linear.

Ambre Sultan isn't much about the Amber, really... and Blue Amber is all about the Amber.

I'd pick both, if that fits into your budget... or if I have to choose, i'd choose Ambre Sultan, just because i'm a fan of its herbal spicyness.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

i have bothe and i love bothe.

Amber sultan : more complexity, more devolopment and refinder.

Blue Amber : bold in a nice way, great longevity up to 24 hours and plain in a nice way
    just amber note, lavender and some vanilla geranium notes.

Neither - Ambre 114. Like Ambre Sultan, but better.

I tried a sample of Blue Amber and really liked it. It smelled very fresh and lasted 6+ hours on me.

As Amit mentioned, Ambre Sultan isn't really about amber. It more or less depends on what you're looking for - the best of the two (which only you can decide) or the best amber (Blue Amber would get my vote).

Ambre Sultan is a fine fragrance but it doesn't last long on me (which makes me wonder if SL watered it down at some point) but Blue Amber lasts at least 12 hours on my skin.

They're both great in their own way, so you really can't go wrong.

Great fragrances both, indeed. I understand why Blue Amber is a compliment getter. For me it's almost too easy.

I like this quality of Ambre Sultan which I'd like to call 'unwieldy'. Don't know wether the word's application in this context is right, however... What draws me most to the Lutens is its higher level of perceived complexity, compared to Blue Amber.

I really like what everyone has said so far. In the end persianpoppa, you just have to try Blue Amber. Though if the complexity and exquisite herbal qualities of Ambre Sultan are what draw you to it, they aren't to be found in Blue Amber.

My fellow basenoters may laugh at this little comparison but with Blue Amber, I smell amber and vanilla extract which after a while reminds me of warm sugar cookies. The lasting power is incredible and when I wear it I feel like I'm wafting this golden sillage.

That said, I enjoy the experience of wearing Ambre Sultan much more. JUST TRY BLUE AMBER
    Last edited by nthny; 26th April 2009 at 10:56 PM.

I'd go for the Blue Amber, I just find it more versatile and wearable than Ambre Sultan. However, I think Galamb Borong is correct; Histoires de Parfums Ambre 114 is better than both BA and AS. I would also suggest trying MPG Ambre Preceiux before commiting to a purchase of any of the above fragrances.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

I'd also go with Blue Amber.

Basenotes Institution

Ambre Sultan
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Sur la Plage

The Sultan
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Have both, like both! AS is a spicy beast where Blue Amber is sweet from start to end.

You are the only one that can decide which one is better as it is a personal call. It shouldn't matter how many choose one or the other.

How about Blue Sultan?

Ambre Sultan. The herbal effect (which I sometimes find slightly play-doughy) balances out the rich amber, keeping everything more interesting as well as keeping the balance in check.
    Sales thread here

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    As Amit mentioned, Ambre Sultan isn't really about amber. It more or less depends on what you're looking for - the best of the two (which only you can decide) or the best amber (Blue Amber would get my vote).

Ambre Sultan is a fine fragrance but it doesn't last long on me (which makes me wonder if SL watered it down at some point) but Blue Amber lasts at least 12 hours on my skin.

They're both great in their own way, so you really can't go wrong.
    Initially I had the same longevity issue with Ambre Sultan, or atleast I thought I had. Only to be complimented on my Ambre Sultan by a coworker 4+ hours into application

I'd like to think Ambre Sultan is one of those "stealth" scents with discreet sillage and presence and what I was assuming to be a longevity issue was simply olfactory fatigue of sorts.

Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    I'd go for the Blue Amber, I just find it more versatile and wearable than Ambre Sultan.....I would also suggest trying MPG Ambre Precieux before commiting to a purchase of any of the above fragrances.
    I agree with these two thoughts. For me Ambre Sultan's biting herbs spoiled the amber bliss. However, I could see where some men might prefer it.

To my nose, Ambre Precieux is very similar to Blue Amber, but a bit more refined. I've been debating about which of these two I want most in a bottle, and Ambre Precieux is probably going to win.

Quote Originally Posted by nthny View Post
    My fellow basenoters may laugh at this little comparison but with Blue Amber, I smell amber and vanilla extract which after a while reminds me of warm sugar cookies.
    You aren't alone, when I wear it I'm reminded of cookies and cakes too

Quote Originally Posted by persianpoppa View Post
    After hearing a lot of good thing about Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens, I tested a sample of it and just can't get enough of it.

Also I've been reading a lot of good stuff about Blue Amber by Montale; it supposedly lasts more than 24 hours on your skin and is a major compliment getter.

So which one is the better scent and why? Ambre Sultan or Blue Amber.
    The thing is, there is nothing in common between these two scents in terms of the genre it represents. Ambre Sultan is "heavy" on the spices front and warms up to a nice base of amber which keeps on swirling up pretty strong even after 8+ hours. Blue Amber on the other hand has more in common with Serge Lutens Gris Clair in it's opening notes. by that i mean, it has that "still live lava" note in it...which incidently gives this scent that "blue" color olfactorily. by mids these intense notes smooths out to a very powdery, smooth, suave base. Also keep in mind that the approach Serge Lutens and Montale take have nothing in common interms of their style...lastly, from the Non Oudh Line of Montale, Blue Amber and Red Vetyver are hot favorites here in basenotes. So, the ball (confusion) is in your court. welcome to bankruptcy..err..sorry, Basenotes
    Last edited by jenson; 27th April 2009 at 05:14 AM.

if you have a chance, i also recommend trying Ambre Russe by Parfum d'Empire. LuckyScent has a pretty good price on 50 ml size (of course, relatively and/or compared to Serge Lutens).

Quote Originally Posted by Amit View Post
    Initially I had the same longevity issue with Ambre Sultan, or atleast I thought I had. Only to be complimented on my Ambre Sultan by a coworker 4+ hours into application

I'd like to think Ambre Sultan is one of those "stealth" scents with discreet sillage and presence and what I was assuming to be a longevity issue was simply olfactory fatigue of sorts.
    Experienced the same. 2 of my friend only complimented after 4 & 6 hours of application.

Ambre Sultan FTW!!!

Ambre Sultan is a rich, beautiful fragrance. Its truly a masterpiece but I found wearing it doesn't fit my character. Probably because its strong and I tend to go heavy on the fragrance. After reading the reviews I'm gonna have to try the Blue Amber.