Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default The Most Overrated/Underrated Fragrance

I guess in this post I wanted everyone to let loose and post the fragrance they think is the most overrated or overrated for that matter as well

to me Knize Ten I feel is pretty overrated
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Default Re: The Most Overrated/Underrated Fragrance

For me it has to be Terre d'Herms it just never did a thing for me.

LOL, nsamadi read my mind

All you're going to get is a list of crap or unpopular frags (or the ones popular for hating because Luca Turin says so) being underrated and a list of popular and/or very good frags being overrated.

So I'll say Tommy Bahama for one and Light Blue Pour Homme for the other. You decide which is which.
    Last edited by PorkFat; 27th April 2009 at 02:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PorkFat View Post
    All you're going to get is a list of crap frags being underrated and a list of popular and/or very good frags being overrated.

So I'll say Tommy Bahama for one and Light Blue Pour Homme for the other. You decide which is which.
    Based on your comment on the "Tommy Bahama" thread I'm gonna guess Tommy Bahama is overrated and Light blue is underrated. I completely agree that Light Blue is underrated, it's my favorite cologne.

Well, it's always refreshing to restart an already existing thread cause time can change one's perception.

Overrated- Encre Noir

Underrated- Marc Jacob for men

Perhaps on this thread we can define our terms more precisely. I'd say we should stick to BNers' opinions, and not take cost into account. For example, Adidas Victory League is not under-rated. Some BNers don't like it but more than half seem to think it's fairly good and well worth the price. Another thing, though I can't stand GIT, I won't say it's over-rated, because I can understand why others like it. So, what then can be said to be over or under-rated? I'd say at least some of the Etro frags are under-rated, in that they don't get talked about much here, yet are very well done. I'd say some clearly unbalanced niche frags are over-rated. Here, I agree with LT in that many are little more than "bases." However, this may be appropriate on a web site called "BaseNotes" ! LOL.

another one I could not get out of my mind is
    Guerlain Vetiver
    geez way overrated

Quote Originally Posted by dynastyd95 View Post
    Based on your comment on the "Tommy Bahama" thread I'm gonna guess Tommy Bahama is overrated and Light blue is underrated. I completely agree that Light Blue is underrated, it's my favorite cologne.
    I think he was saying TB is underrated and Light Blue Overrated...

I think Aqva Marine by Bvlgary is way over-rated. It's just a plain "deja vu" copy cat of Aqua di Gio only with better longevity and neither smell good!

Overrated- Eau d'Orange Verte

Quote Originally Posted by jasonx View Post
    I think Aqva Marine by Bvlgary is way over-rated. It's just a plain "deja vu" copy cat of Aqua di Gio only with better longevity and neither smell good!
    Where is Marine overrated? On BN it's getting slammed in the reviews.

Banned

Sounds awfully too subjective (i.e. I love Knize Ten and hate Light Blue Pour Homme). Also, whose ratings are we considering? I can't really speak to how basenotes rates things because I'm too new, but I know from general chatter what does and doesn't get credit. There are too many fragrances 'underrated' to ever list. Most feminines before 1970, for example, don't get nearly the attention they deserve for their exemplary beauty. Lancome Balafre is sorely underrated, as are most Etat Libre fragrances. Most fragrances by Creed (but certainly not all) are way overrated, as are most fragrances by Le Labo. Armani fragrances aren't well thought of and they are still overrated. Polo original is underrated. There are more for sure.

I have developed too much respect for the differences that exist in the way members here appreciate perfume to list what I think is overrated... no one wins. Who's to say my pet fragrance loves aren't considered WAY overrated by others.

It's allright to assert that you find a particular accord underwhelming, this is what this forum's about. Branding a fragrance or a whole product line as overrated brings other members whole judgement in question. It's too personal.

To answer the OP I think that Cacharel pour l'Homme is underrated.
    Last edited by jathanas; 27th April 2009 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    I have never understood why Creed GIT has so many lovers.
    Me neither

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    I have never understood why Creed GIT has so many lovers.

Quote Originally Posted by Amit View Post
    Me neither
    Ditto!

Underrated: Devin and Lauder for men

Overrated - Chanel Pour Monsieur & Dior Eau Sauvage

Underrated - Hermes Rocabar

Quote Originally Posted by dynastyd95 View Post
    Bingo. But as said earlier in this thread, the whole fragrance world is subjective and people take things personally and sometimes way too seriously. And that another person in this thread took my first comment to be opposite from what you think, you see my point?

I know of an underrated fragrance that's rarely talked about here (that I actually own)... but I'd rather keep it to myself...

Quote Originally Posted by PorkFat View Post
    Bingo. But as said earlier in this thread, the whole fragrance world is subjective and people take things personally and sometimes way too seriously. And that another person in this thread took my first comment to be opposite from what you think, you see my point?
    You are so right! The reactions to comments I have made in the past have actually put me off commenting on highly rated scents I don't like. I m talking about verbal abuse here.

overrated = GIT, Rive gauche , Kouros

over - AdG, CH 212 Men
    under - Diesel Fuel for Life, Narciso Rodriguez for Him
    Tell Hugo, he isnt boss anymore.
    Nieruchomości Gorzw

Remove the blinders people this is all a marketing ploy.....

It's one thing to say one scent is horrible.
    It's another thing to say there are stupid people here, who even love this scent.
    Just my opinion regarding this question.

Overrated: GIT, TdH
    Underrated: Versace Black jeans, Bulgari Aqua Marine
    Perfume noob

Don't get me started. Too many. I'll concur with already mentioned Pour Monsour, Eau Sauvage, GIT, RV, definitely Guerlain Vetiver, etc, etc, etc. Dior Homme, etc, HR, on and one all night. One note of contention though is AdG because it is seldom praised and so often trashed. AdG is underrated.

Definitely "Creed - GIT" as stated above.

That and all of the John Varvatos fragrances. I have read so many comments about these smelling "unique" and "different". I must be missing something, because to me they come off as smelling like your typical "fresh" designer fragrance with little innovation or originality.

For underrated I'm going to have to say Hotel Costes. I rarely see this one being mentioned on these boards.

Quote Originally Posted by IKL View Post
    For underrated I'm going to have to say Hotel Costes. I rarely see this one being mentioned on these boards.
    Agreed.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

After smelling it, I'll never stay there. Repugnant spices, smells like the kitchen staff got into a "food fight" and had a smoke afterwards and the scent traveled through the ventilation shafts.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdogsleeping View Post
    For me it has to be Terre d'Herms it just never did a thing for me.
    I second that ...

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    Repugnant spices, smells like the kitchen staff got into a "food fight" and had a smoke afterwards and the scent traveled through the ventilation shafts.
    Sounds nice to me. I'm usually into the raunchy stuff.

I'd like to quote several of the replies to this thread and comment on each of them individually but I don't have all night. But I do recall hearing and reading over and over again in books and on this website that we wear them because we enjoy them regardless of their implied gender, season, or whatever. So, I'm going to ignore all of your comments about fragrances I'm familiar with (I'll consider the comments on fragrances I am NOT familiar with though!) and put my two cents in:

Underrated: AdG - why? because although I'm a newbie at fragrances, this one was one of my favorites right from the start, even before I read any of the hype or discredits from BNers, before LT gave it only 2 stars, and before I found out it was the best-selling fragrance six years in a row. I have absolutely no problems with longevity and I love the cedary drydown. I'll include in this Unbound for men, because at $10, it's not a dead-ringer but a close second to AdG.

Underrated: l'Eau d'Issey (didn't do anything for me at all), Gucci pour homme II (blech! and it took days of scrubbing to go away), and finally, GIT, yes, I agree with many of you (or I just don't get it) but I've several others that smell just as good (if not better!) for considerably less money.
    Currently looking for Ava Luxe Midnight Violet

Visit my offsite sales thread for other items for sale - just updated!
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=265#265

Most underrated fragrance (especially on Basenotes): SEAN JOHN - I AM KING.

iT'S ACTUALLY QUITE GOOD!

Well, GIT seems to me to just be liked by a large % of BNers. I don't like it at all, but I can't recall many threads where BNers who do like it argue that it's so much better than other frags, except of course the ones that are similar, like Cool Water. On the other hand, I do get the impression that a frag like Guerlain's Vetiver is considered by many BNers to be "on another level." Anyone else have this same feeling?

Ultraviolet Man by Paco Rabanne is underrated

Quote Originally Posted by Elgar Place View Post
    Most underrated fragrance (especially on Basenotes): SEAN JOHN - I AM KING.

iT'S ACTUALLY QUITE GOOD!

Yes it is a great scent. But since the fact it is a rip off from Creed, it's hard to be accepted by the large.
    Perfume noob

OVER RATED:
    GIT, POUR MONSIEUR, KNIZE TEN, CUIRON, ALL FREDERIC MALLE, ALL DIPTYQUE, TERRE D' HERMES, GUERLAIN VETIVER, ANY BOND NO. 9, BULGARI AQUA, BURBERRY FRAGRANCES, ORMANDE JAYNE FRAGRANCES,

UNDER RATED:
    MOST AZZARO, ALL LESNEZ, ALL FARMACIA SS ANUNZIATA, BAUME DU DOGE EAU D'ITALIE, MPG EAU D ILES, MORABITO OR BLACK, ALL ETAT LIBRE D' ORANGE, CDG HINOKI, WODE BY BOUDICCA, AMAZE by POTL.

Quote Originally Posted by ImpalaSS View Post
    Yes it is a great scent. But since the fact it is a rip off from Creed, it's hard to be accepted by the large.
    I like Creed frags for their depth and complexity, but what makes I AM KING so pleasant is that it's much lighter and not as heavy as the Creeds. Some might call this a rip-off, but there are times that one doesn't necessarily want to wear a heavy, intense cologne.

Definitely "Creed - GIT" as stated above.

That and all of the John Varvatos fragrances. I have read so many comments about these smelling "unique" and "different". I must be missing something, because to me they come off as smelling like your typical "fresh" designer fragrance with little innovation or originality.

I used to own the original Varvatos and just saying that I haven't come across another fragrance with dates yet, although I haven't smelled more than 100 fragrances. Its not at all fresh if you ask me.

an underrated fragrance to me is
    Quorum
    this stuff is just amazing

yatagan, i just dont get it

Underrated: Davidoff Adventure

A really unique combination of notes and quite spicy. Distinct phases of mate, sesame seeds, cinnamon (allspice, actually), and cedar, along with a great lemony peppery opening. Like L'Anarchiste, this one is perfect for fall.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Referring to Buzzlepuff underrated list-

MORABITO OR BLACK?

er... I thought this one has been praised so often and held in high esteem that I automatically seek out for this in the shop. But hard to find here.

I believe Rive Gauche is overrated with all of these great reviews but I still find it to be a decent fragrance. Azzaro Now Men is underrated and I want to get a bottle as soon as I can. It seems like some reviewers for this wanted to give it a positive but instead gave the wrong rating by reading the review.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by jasonx View Post
    ditto..I recall mentioning the exact same thing quite sometime back in another thread, glad im not alone on this. weirdly i have both of them in my cooler, one was a gift mistaken to be aqua ph, the adg has been ard for almost 2 years and still 3/4 full.

under rated: grey flannel

Quote Originally Posted by xmen View Post
    Referring to Buzzlepuff underrated list-

MORABITO OR BLACK?

er... I thought this one has been praised so often and held in high esteem that I automatically seek out for this in the shop. But hard to find here.
    To me a fragrance is underrated if no shops stocks it, and do not choose to sell it, and very few people buy it. OR Black has been talked up by a couple of people on Basenotes, probably mostly because it is overlooked. But how many people even on Basenotes have ever tried it? How many have it in there wardrobe? I can't find it in any shops in the U.S. at all! To me those are signs it's pretty underrated and off the radar generally speaking. These are all opinions anyway - UNDERRATED!

Quote Originally Posted by ImpalaSS View Post
    It is NOT a ripoff of Creed, that is Unforgivable. And, no, I do not agree, I am King, is straight garbage.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Overrated- Fuel for Men, L'eau d'Issey, L'Homme, Piper Nigrum, Terre d'Hermes, Knize 10, C&S no. 88, Vetiver Extraordinaire, The Majority of the Penhaligons Line (except for Racquets and Castile), Most of the L'Artisan Line

Underrated- Idole de Lubin, Green Valley, Garrigue, Vetiver Pour Elle, Cuir Ottoman, Hugh Parsons Blue, Gendarme, Vetiver Babylone, Magnolia Romano, En Passant, The M.Micallef Line, Bleecker Street
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Next to the bottle of Van Winkle Special Reserve

Underrated: anything I like.
    Overrated: anything I don't like.
    Marge: Do you want your son to become Chief Justice of the Supreme Court or a sleazy male stripper?
    Homer: Can't he be both, like the late Earl Warren?

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Underrated- ....The M.Micallef Line...[/QUOTE]

Grievously so

Over-Rated: Terre d'Hermes,
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by dpak View Post
    Underrated: anything I like.
    Overrated: anything I don't like.
    Perfect!

^ yes that about sums it up

Strange how some classics are being listed here as underated. I mean, they are considered CLASSICS, right ? What more do you want ?

underated-------> ZINO

Terre d'Hermes is so overrated it's becoming underrated...

over-rated: Dior Homme and Terre D'Hermes

under-rated: YSL L'Homme, Burberry Touch

Over-rated: Heritage and Silver Mountain Water.

Under-rated: Dark Amber & Ginger Lily and Vanisia.

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    Terre d'Hermes is so overrated it's becoming underrated...
    eh... what do you mean?