Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Pure Malt

Default Re: Pure Malt

Quote Originally Posted by Maz24 View Post
    Thank you, i would love to see a pic of your collection .
    i will have to do that soon lol

i'll be waiting eagerly.

Can anyone please confirm if all Pure Malt retail bottles come with a velvet pouch inside the box?
    I don't suppose that the tester bottles (that look identical to the retail bottles, except that they have a plain white box) come with this velvet pouch.

Thanks

Mine's a retail sealed box with the registration code to join the 'cercle', and it doesn't come with a pouch.

As for the scent itself, this is my first gourmand, and I must say all I smell is OTT sweetness. Personally, I'm have an incorrigible sweet tooth, so I kind of like it. But as a scent, my other vanilla based orientals are more complex and interesting, so if I want to smell sweet, I would prefer to use something like L'Instant pH.

Quote Originally Posted by supperman View Post
    Mine's a retail sealed box with the registration code to join the 'cercle', and it doesn't come with a pouch.
    That's a bit of a surprise since the bottle that I bought from another basenoter, it came in a retail box and also had this big black draw string velvet pouch with Thierry Mugler embossed on it. I am considering to buy a backup bottle and due to my assumption that a tester will not come with this velvet pouch, I am more interested in the retail bottle. However if the retail bottle doesn't come with this pouch, anymore I suppose, I'd rather buy a tester.

Anyone else has found a big black pouch in their retail box of A*men Pure Malt?

I absolutely love Pure Malt. In a few years when all of the supplies have ran out and the fragrance is gone forever, I am going to be seriously PISSED OFF!

nope, only a code number and a registration card inside

I sampled this yesterday at Sephora and have to say I liked it a lot. It's still very much related to Angel Men of course, but a bit more masculine. It's worth a buy since I think it's different enough from A*men, which I owned once several years ago before it got so trendy to have. No desire to have that again.

I've got to try this one again. When I first tried it, I thought it was too similar to Amen, which I already have, to really give it a whole lot of thought. But after seeing all the critical aclaim, I'm starting to reconsider. Since we're on Thierry Mugler though, I like to compare Givenchy Play Intense to Amen and Pure Malt. I think they're all kinda similar with the whole sweet coffee gourmand thing going on. But I really enjoyed the Play Intense when I gave it a full wearing. It's next on my purchase list, if I don't get Declaration Essence first. That'll be great for the spring/summer. Maybe I'll put off Play Intense until the fall...

i recently got a bottle from fragerencenet. but it didnt come sealed. the bottle is full and it's not a tester(no writing on the back) and it comes with a reg. code(which i havent entered in yet)

the box seems a bit worn/used... is there any chance i have a fake or anything..? i thought all the bottles would be sealed?

Well, its fragrancenet. research them before buying. they sell old/used bottles as new. their packaging is terrible also. careless. it's up to you. I bought mine for $55 mint condition beauty encounter. i wouldn't put up with fragrancenet's bull.

Quote Originally Posted by G Man View Post
    Well, its fragrancenet. research them before buying. they sell old/used bottles as new. their packaging is terrible also. careless. it's up to you. I bought mine for $55 mint condition beauty encounter. i wouldn't put up with fragrancenet's bull.
    BeautyEncounter recently jacked the price up to $120.

I got mine from beautyencounter as well and my box of PM was also missing the wrapper. The box is perfect and the juice smells great though.

I tried this today (and still wear it) on my wrist and loved it immediately but after 3 hours it wears close to skin. I can see how this can make fragrance like Rochas Man obsolote in someones wardrobe. Reminds me Angel for women too. Got to buy it while its available here for around 55 Euros online and 80 in retail.

Blog Entries

Exclamation My Pure Malt Experience: Caveat Emptor

anyone who has check out my wardrobe and half of my posts knows im a huge fan of Thierry Mugler and A*Men specifically. after seeing so many good reviews on youtube and on here about Pure Malt, i was expecting something extraordinary.

Well the other day i finally tested it...

this is what all the hype is about? To me it just smelled like they toned the coffee down in the opening of A*Men by alot, replaced it with some sweet berry smell; the heart went straight into A*Men's drydown, and it's base was A*Men + Whoppers (malted milk ball candy). Now i can not deny that smells really good, but something was missing...something that made me love A*Men even when it made me physically sick. Ah! It's that obnoxiousness, that rough, yet sweetly devilish feel to A*Men. It made me realize Pure Malt was Mugler's way of making "A*Men Eau Fraiche", or quite simply, an A*Men that won't offend anyone.

I never thought i'd be the one to say this but...Pure Malt is really not that good! Do NOT buy it blind. I almost did and i would've hated myself for it since it's truely a mediocre fragrance.

Default Re: My Pure Malt Experience: Caveat Emptor

Quote Originally Posted by Neurosis View Post
    It's that obnoxiousness, that rough
    My sentiments about the original A*men.

Too loud. Too brash. Too cloying.

An in your face 2000's version of an 1980's powerhouse.

I'd recommend something more refined and nuanced such as Endymion, New Haarlem, Bell’Antonio,
    CiocoSpesizissimo, Aomassai or Coze.
    Last edited by neal; 30th June 2010 at 04:45 PM.

Default Mugler's PURE MALT

Do you think Thierry Mugler's PURE MALT is worth $100 US for 100ml bottle?
    +"Do you spray below the waist?"
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    you will be successful." - Albert Schweitzer
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

Default Re: Mugler's PURE MALT

Depends on how much you like gourmands. Do you like the smell of berries and sweet liquor?

Its definitely more worth $100 than Chanel Allure Sport and Blanche are worth $95 for 100ml.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Thierry Mugler Pure Energy

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. Eau des Baux
    2. Dior Homme
    3. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme

No.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer81 View Post
    Its definitely more worth $100 than Chanel Allure Sport and Blanche are worth $95 for 100ml.
    I agree allure h sport and blanche are overrated as hell.

Hmm.. I'd say so. If not for the scent itself, it can be for the history! (The first time a scent has been aged in casks)
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

It retailed for $70 so $100 isn't that big of a mark-up. Also, you should be able to recoup most if not all your money by reselling it if you don't like it. It is a hot item...

Yes!!!
    "Nothing breaks up a team faster than.. Herpes"

-- Top --
    (1) Guerlain Tonka Imperiale (2) Creed Millesime Imperial
    (3) Creed Silver Mountain Water (4) Creed Aventus
    (5) Creed Green Irish Tweed (6) Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Malt
    (7) Amouage Reflection Man

Oh heck no.

You could ask this question about any scent out there. There are craploads out there that I wouldn't pay a nickel for regardless of the asking price.

In this case, it's definitely worth it to me. And that's coming from a guy who only owns three bottles that go for more than $75.

anybody know if its going to be re-released?

Yes. Love it. Love it. Love it.

Probably, I bought two bottles when it came out because I didn't want to go through what I went through to find reasonably priced Pure Coffee. $100? yeah. do it.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

I've got Pure Coffee for $85 and Pure Malt for $105 in my sale thread for anyone who's interested......Get it while it's hot. (cause when it's cold outside it'll be even rarer)

If you love patchouli and booze, then go for it. Pure Malt isnt for me. I wouldnt pay $10 for it.
    Kerosene fragrance samples and bottles here: www.min.com

I am wondering can you still get this anymore I would like to try it? And where?

Quote Originally Posted by Inscentz View Post
    I am wondering can you still get this anymore I would like to try it? And where?
    Funny...I went straight to Beauty Encounter and they want $120. But if you buy it from them through Amazon, it's $100:

http://www.amazon.com/Thierry-Mugler...2006032&sr=8-1

Thank you. Are they a good source?

i have 5 boxes of this that i bought from dutyfree

Amazon is pretty secure I should think.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Quote Originally Posted by Inscentz View Post
    Thank you. Are they a good source?
    Yeah, as far as I know Beauty Encounter is reputable. I got mine through them, and it was just fine.

i know a way you can smell like pure coffee for cheap! spray on ice men and then sit in a coffee shop for an hour and boom, pure coffee

I have not tried pure malt but it sounds interesting as hell....i say go for it!!!
    Current Top 5:

Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron

Yes, but i'm glad i can find it for 50 euros here in Sevilla...

Isn't there a thread stating PM will be re-released in September ?
    Assuming it's true . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by archelon View Post
    i have 5 boxes of this that i bought from dutyfree
    i got some from them in the dallas airport i went nuts. no bullshit.

Depends on how badly you want it.

Definitely not. Last time I smelled it I had to wash it off. I could immediatelly smell that typical cheapo designer synthetic stench that you can find in almost every dept. store frag. Not worth $30 bucks for me- just my personal opinion, of course.

not worth it!

To me Pure Malt is best thing I smelled... Warm, modern, sexy, tasty and unique. I was looking for it since I smelled it once on 1 guy in shop (I didnt know it was Pure Malt, but it had Muglers DNA so It was probable) I have 3 100ml bottles just for myself. I dont feel like I need to look for anything else for cold weather... Top notes can smell bit plastic but drydown is fantastic. Yay for sweet patchouli.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Thierry Mugler Pure Energy

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. Eau des Baux
    2. Dior Homme
    3. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme

Quote Originally Posted by SoGent View Post
    Isn't there a thread stating PM will be re-released in September ?
    Assuming it's true . . . .
    I think that was a rumor started by a youtube reviewer, which he said another subscriber told him that info. And that subscriber said he read that in an email he sent to Mugler company.

However, upon several emails from other users, representatives denied any re-release of Pure Malt and stated it was limited and discontinued (this includes me, I emailed them a few months ago). Which is why I bought 2, but now I know I won't ever use them (I dislike the scent), which is why I put them up for sale in the marketplace recently (for really no profit after shipping costs/taxes I had to pay for them).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by G Man View Post
    I think that was a rumor started by a youtube reviewer, which he said another subscriber told him that info. And that subscriber said he read that in an email he sent to Mugler company.

However, upon several emails from other users, representatives denied any re-release of Pure Malt and stated it was limited and discontinued (this includes me, I emailed them a few months ago). Which is why I bought 2, but now I know I won't ever use them (I dislike the scent), which is why I put them up for sale in the marketplace recently (for really no profit after shipping costs/taxes I had to pay for them).
    Quote Originally Posted by jreily1988 View Post
    Thierry Mugler has confirmed that Pure Malt will be re-released this fall. Here is a copy of the actual email they sent me when I asked them:

Hello,

A*MEN Pure Malt will be available in the 2010 Fall season.

Kind regards,

Melisa Alexander
    Thierry Mugler | 1 Park Avenue | New York, NY 10016
    1.866.T.MUGLER | Fax: 212.754.0977

This was received on 7/22/2010.

Apparently they saw the business opportunity fortunate for us Muglerians!
    Last edited by Neurosis; 17th August 2010 at 05:15 PM.

It isn't worth $100 to my mind.

Default I feel like I figured out Angel Pure Malt!

I finally got a chance to try out Pure Malt at the Bay in Calgary. Surprisingly they had a fair bit of stock in both locations, Market Mall and Downtown, one size only and priced at $92. I was pretty eager to try out this fragrance after the rave reviews on basenotes here. Sure enough, spray it on, and let it sit. I like it! Smells a bit boozy, sweet, a bit like a hot toddy with caramel. Something familiar about it though

Sure enough show it to my girlfriend to take a sniff. Sure enough she says it smells like:

Rang my bell at the exact same time, it really does smell like carmex for the first 3-4 hours. It softens a bit afterwards to give that A*Men undertones like everyone has been mentioning.

Not to take away from this cologne, I still like it a fair bit!

Default Re: I feel like I figured out Angel Pure Malt!

I don't get the rave for Pure Malt at all. I think it smells bad durring all stages, opening/middle/base - just bad.

Just goes to show, never get caught up in the basenotes hype.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil4Speed View Post
    I finally got a chance to try out Pure Malt at the Bay in Calgary. Surprisingly they had a fair bit of stock in both locations, Market Mall and Downtown, one size only and priced at $92. I was pretty eager to try out this fragrance after the rave reviews on basenotes here. Sure enough, spray it on, and let it sit. I like it! Smells a bit boozy, sweet, a bit like a hot toddy with caramel. Something familiar about it though

Sure enough show it to my girlfriend to take a sniff. Sure enough she says it smells like:

Rang my bell at the exact same time, it really does smell like carmex for the first 3-4 hours. It softens a bit afterwards to give that A*Men undertones like everyone has been mentioning.

Well being as though I have used carmax many of times over the years I must say a big NO! This isnt even a comparison at all. Pure Malt's top notes is a whisky/berry/caramel smell not a medicine stink..... I strongely disagree on this one.
    My Youtube Review Channel: www.youtube.com/cutlasssupremesl

Quote Originally Posted by CutlassSupremeSL View Post
    Well being as though I have used carmax many of times over the years I must say a big NO! This isnt even a comparison at all. Pure Malt's top notes is a whisky/berry/caramel smell not a medicine stink..... I strongely disagree on this one.
    I gotta agree, Pure Malt = Carmex?? really? No way!

They are not even close! Nope. Nada. Zilch.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

I bought this blind because everybody talks about it. However, now I realize that not everybody likes it and in a thread about favourite Mugler scents people tended to prefer A*men over Pure Malt...I think A*men is too much...I hope I like. Can't wait...

Quote Originally Posted by migjurado View Post
    I bought this blind because everybody talks about it. However, now I realize that not everybody likes it and in a thread about favourite Mugler scents people tended to prefer A*men over Pure Malt...I think A*men is too much...I hope I like. Can't wait...
    Im confident you will, a large majority of people who dont like A*men really like Pure Malt, it has that 'just right' feel where A*men is more like 'woah hold on a sec!' if that makes sense!

Quote Originally Posted by jlouismi View Post
    Im confident you will, a large majority of people who dont like A*men really like Pure Malt, it has that 'just right' feel where A*men is more like 'woah hold on a sec!' if that makes sense!
    Perfectly stated jlouismi

Pure Malt is a more polished A*men in my opinion - and more suitable for a wider audience.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil4Speed View Post

I get this as well. Subtle, but it is in there. I still really like it and have fond memories of a girl that used Carmex. Ring a bell and I'll salivate.

That must be some delicious ass Carmex!

Not sure I get the Carmex, but I do get a latex-y kind of smell up top, a very sharp latex smell, especially if I spray it on far away from my skin and it dries very lightly. I wrote in the re-release thread that I got a mildly fishy bottle from fragrancenet, so I'm wondering more if my bottle may be spoiled (it came to me unwrapped and seemingly partially used), but the code worked on the TM website.

Quote Originally Posted by md1grwl View Post
    I don't get the rave for Pure Malt at all. I think it smells bad durring all stages, opening/middle/base - just bad.
    A*Men! Same for Pure Coffee. There are so many more refined, interesting options out there.