Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Pure Malt

Blog Entries

Default Re: I feel like I figured out Angel Pure Malt!

Not gunna lie i've always thought this. I use the squeeze tube kind and whenever i use both at the same time its like "ahhhh damnit theyre alike..."

Quote Originally Posted by fitch256 View Post
    Not sure I get the Carmex, but I do get a latex-y kind of smell up top, a very sharp latex smell, especially if I spray it on far away from my skin and it dries very lightly. I wrote in the re-release thread that I got a mildly fishy bottle from fragrancenet, so I'm wondering more if my bottle may be spoiled (it came to me unwrapped and seemingly partially used), but the code worked on the TM website.
    I would say it is a carmel wax smell, which is the Carmex, lip balm(ish) smell I get. I am trying to decide if I need to get a back up bottle. I think the one I have will last a good while as I will be limited to the short cool fall and winter here that I will be able to wear PM. If I do I think I will get it from Nordstroms. I would send Yours back if it doesn't smell right. I have sent MI back to fragrancenet and was issued a full refund and offered a replacement. I took the refund.

Quote Originally Posted by BarneyB View Post
    I would say it is a carmel wax smell, which is the Carmex, lip balm(ish) smell I get. I am trying to decide if I need to get a back up bottle. I think the one I have will last a good while as I will be limited to the short cool fall and winter here that I will be able to wear PM. If I do I think I will get it from Nordstroms. I would send Yours back if it doesn't smell right. I have sent MI back to fragrancenet and was issued a full refund and offered a replacement. I took the refund.
    Well that's the thing, I don't know if it smells right, I bought it blind. I do get the berries up top along with a whiskey like smell, but there's also this pungent latex like scent that's there but dissipates after a half an hour or so where it dries down to a vanilla-ish type scent with a hint of lingering latex and smokiness.

I also tried this for the first time at the Bay today. I wasn't expecting to find it in regular stores so soon, particularly in Canada, but there it was, and after all the Basenotes raves I had to spray some on. I got Skittles. Skittles and a bit of rum, not whiskey. I thought it smelled nothing like the original A*Men, which I retried today and found rather more repellent than the last time I smelled it. I finally noticed the tarry "burnt coffee" thing that everyone mentions. Yuck. And where's the patchouli?

On the plus side, I finally pulled the trigger on a full bottle of the original Angel, which has been haunting me ever since I first sampled it and which I routinely came up with excuses not to buy. And I'm not a packaging fanatic, but man, those star bottles make my inner 10-year old girl squeal with delight. Smelling Pure Malt and Angel side-by-side was interesting; if anything, Pure Malt smells more candied, less musky, and perhaps even a bit more feminine. WTF, right? Are my smell receptors off? I should get a proper sample of Pure Malt and do some evaluation at home; I can't focus for crap when I sniff in department stores (or the sensory overload hell of Sephora).

Quote Originally Posted by Shaheen View Post
    That must be some delicious ass Carmex!
    Also cold sore.......

Well that's the thing, I don't know if it smells right, I bought it blind. I do get the berries up top along with a whiskey like smell, but there's also this pungent latex like scent that's there but dissipates after a half an hour or so where it dries down to a vanilla-ish type scent with a hint of lingering latex and smokiness.
    I wouldn't say latex but I know exactly what your talking about. I want to say like a burning rubbery...not rubber..but rubbery type smell. I know it doesn't make sense but I can't put my finger on the smell for the life of me. But as soon as you said latex I knew what you meant.

The only thing I can think of it being is just very dark whiskey notes. If anyone can pin point what this is please do!

how about we just say it smells great and all agree on that!

I was thinking about buying Pure Malt blind until I read this thread. I hate the smell of Carmex. I'll have to wait till I can smell a tester or even skip it. Maybe I just saved myself a load of cash.

Quote Originally Posted by flashpoint321 View Post
    I was thinking about buying Pure Malt blind until I read this thread. I hate the smell of Carmex. I'll have to wait till I can smell a tester or even skip it. Maybe I just saved myself a load of cash.
    Yeah might be worth waiting and trying it out for yourself, but there are allot of people who disagree with me on here as well!

Default Angel Pure Malt

Hey Folks,

Got Angel pure Malt today and IMO it blows the original Amen away. Do you find that L'Instant Extreme and Pure Malt are similiar?

Nick

Default Re: Angel Pure Malt

another thread?

Default Re: Angel Pure Malt

yes...another thread...lol at op's join date.

... but the code worked on the TM website.
    I've seen this mentioned before, but don't see it on the website... where do you check these?

Quote Originally Posted by ceekay View Post
    I've seen this mentioned before, but don't see it on the website... where do you check these?
    it's not theirrymugler.com it's circle.thierrymugler.com

Blog Entries

Exclamation The Official, and Last Pure Malt Thread: Info, details, etc.

With the massive influx of Pure Malt threads, I think its time to make one central thread for the discussion of this fragrance. Before making a thread about this fragrance, please look here first. I hope to reduce the number of these threads by making one more, hopefully one of the last...

"An innovation in perfumery, Pure Malt honors the tradition of Scotland’s peaty Whiskies with its smoky and sensual woody accents. The result is a surprising fragrance of elegance and sophistication in which several malts collide, exciting the senses and revealing a truly noble and refined masculinity."

WHERE TO BUY: Nordstrom, Amazon, Thierry Mugler Boutique, Fragrance.net (people have had sketchy bottles form here so caveat emptor), Ebay, and various other places that can be found with some searching. Many members are also selling or trading their bottles.

WHEN TO WEAR IT: Many people say nighttime, date wear, mostly for Fall and Winter; truth is wear it whenever you'd like, just know how much you can spray

WHERE TO WEAR IT: Same as any other fragrance: chest, neck, arms, wrists...

HOW MANY SPRAYS: Don't go over 4, it'll get cloying. 3 is more than enough, 2 is good and many people will say 1 spray is enough - it depends on your skin. The amount of sprays will also reveal different facets of the fragrance

IS IT REFORMULATED: No; however there may or may not be a difference between the re-released bottles and ones from 2009, such as testers. I personally find a significant difference in samples i have from an 09 tester and my 2010 bottle. It's not really "bad" but they are different. I highly recommend trying to smell both years, as some people have hated the new ones, love the older ones, and vice versa

WHAT DOES THIS SMELL LIKE: Imagine A*Men aged in oak casks (lol)...basically it's A*Men's central "concept" except there is a booze note at the top, a very smokey-woody heart, and the base contains no chocolate as far as i can tell. It's hard to describe this one so it's best if you can just sample it yourself.

IF I HATE A*MEN WILL I LIKE THIS?: That's totally your own opinion. Once again sampling is the way to go. Many people find this more wearable than A*Men as it's much less "harsh"; personally thats what i love about A*Men so its all a matter of opinion.

MY BOTTLE FROM FRAGRANCE.NET IS OPEN/THERE'S A RETURN LABEL/THE BOTTLE IS MISSING SOME JUICE: Fragrance.net has (or had) these for sale at the same time as Nordstrom re-released it. Because Thierry Mugler HQ did not send them new stock, they sold the old stock they had, which in some cases were unopened bottles, but to the dismay of a bunch of people, they sold old, returned, and potentially used bottles. Be careful buying from them with this product as people have had varied results. (FRAGRANCE.NET IS A VERY RELIABLE SITE, THIS IS REALLY THE ONLY INSTANCE WHERE THERE HAS BEEN A WIDE-SCALE ISSUE)

WHY IS THERE SO MUCH HYPE BEHIND THIS?!: It's a very good, extremely original fragrance. Many people say it is niche quality; again it's a matter of opinion, many people just have high opinions of this

If i missed anything let me know and ill add it in. I understand that some people are getting annoyed by the inane questions/threads about this so I hope this thread helps

Default Re: The Official, and Last Pure Malt Thread: Info, details, etc.

Too bad your claim that this is the last can't be enforced here! LOL.

Some of my thoughts:

It's niche-like, but not in a good way.

There are much better alterntives, unless you really want to stand out in the crowd. I prefer Jacomo for Men/Silver, Armani Attitude, Polo Double Black, and Tobacco Vanille, for example.

It's a great gimmick frag, no doubt about it.

okay, hope is the last one. So was reformulated it?

Ohh my GOD. How many threads do we need on this?!

do chicks dig it?

this is gonna be epic.../thread

I am tempted to start a new thread titled "Pure Malt 3-D: A New Beginning" just for the fun of it.

Seriously, I don't care how many threads are out there about any one subject. Who are the social media police anyway? I say enjoy the site. And start another thread about Pure Malt if you want to.

Oh, and chicks don't really dig it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Smeghead View Post
    Ohh my GOD. How many threads do we need on this?!
    Like I said hopefully this will stop the ridiculous amount of the same threads on it

Blog Entries

I just laughed hysterically at the fact there's a subforum LOL!

ME TOO! Oh lord!
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

These threads got me all worked up, so I insisted that my Nordstrom sales clerk open up one of their four bottles of Pure Malt so I could try it. The first notes in it were quite unpleasant to me. It dried down okay, but nothing to get worked up about. I suppose I'll be put on trial now!

Blog Entries

Nah I had the same things happen to me. I really wasn't impressed but it grew on me, try to get a sample and keep testing it every now and then

Quote Originally Posted by Neurosis View Post
    Nah I had the same things happen to me. I really wasn't impressed but it grew on me, try to get a sample and keep testing it every now and then
    I don't own any Mugler colognes, so in this hype over malt I've decided to buy Mugler Cologne and A*Men. I was hoping Malt would be like Amen without the tar and a bit of booze. I wish there was an Amen without the tar. I have never smelled Pure Coffee...I'm thinking I would like it.

facebook fanpage? yes? LETS GO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by flashpoint321 View Post
    I don't own any Mugler colognes, so in this hype over malt I've decided to buy Mugler Cologne and A*Men. I was hoping Malt would be like Amen without the tar and a bit of booze. I wish there was an Amen without the tar. I have never smelled Pure Coffee...I'm thinking I would like it.
    Yeah for me I'm not too big on the patchouli. A*Men is a bit loud for me too, which is why I prefer L'instant Extreme. I also wanna look into Dior Homme Intense.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

I just got my bottle that I ordered directly from TM. The bottle that I got from fragrancenet was definitely a bit skunked. The latex-ish note in this bottle is far more toned down and isn't disgustingly overwhelming for 45 minutes to an hour like the other one was. I'd avoid any bottles of this from fragrancenet, they're unreliable on this one.

I got my first bottle of TM's A*Men Pure Malt this past weekend from Fragrancenet (no issues no problems). I actually like it quite a bit, way more than the original A*Men. Though Malt doesn't seem quite as strong as the original A*Men. On my skin, doesn't seem to project as well, though I do get a whif of it from time to time several hours later. Overall, I would say it's one of my favorites, love the opening and love the drydown. I do plan on getting another bottle. I don't think it's overhyped, I love it and feel it lives up to the hype.

LOL @ subforum.

Pure Malt rocks.

Hahha, I am also actually LOLing at the subforum. Decent Cologne but wow, so many fans, I would have never expected!

Pure Malt has changed my life! I used to be bald, but then I sniffed the sillage of someone wearing Pure Malt while shopping for vegetables at the grocery store. Now I have hair again! So I bought a bottle. The next day, I won the lottery and married a Swedish supermodel. Thanks, Pure Malt!
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 1st October 2010 at 06:48 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Pure Malt has changed my life! I used to be bald, but then I sniffed the sillage of someone wearing pure malt in while shopping for vegetables at the grocery store. Now I have hair again! So I bought a bottle. The next day, I won the lottery and married a Swedish supermodel. Thanks, Pure Malt!
    Yes! Were you wearing a wolf shirt at the same time?

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyfunny View Post
    Yes! Were you wearing a wolf shirt at the same time?
    A Wolf Shirt and Pure Malt?

At the same time?

That could be dangerous. I don't know if I want to become the central figure of a new global religious cult...
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Pure Malt has changed my life! I used to be bald, but then I sniffed the sillage of someone wearing Pure Malt while shopping for vegetables at the grocery store. Now I have hair again! So I bought a bottle. The next day, I won the lottery and married a Swedish supermodel. Thanks, Pure Malt!
    Are you, by any chance, a person of African American descent who also happens to be a pro-golfer? Ahhh..things Pure Malt can do...

Basenotes Institution

*ROFL* *ROFL* Oh thanks for this ............

Pure Malt is the new miracle snake oil , please I want some ! So you think I should buy some ?
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by Neurosis View Post
    I just laughed hysterically at the fact there's a subforum LOL!
    Me too. This is hilarious. LOL!
    Say "Pure Malt" 10 times as fast as you can. PureMaltPureMaltPureMaltPureMaltPureMaltPureMaltPu reMaltPureMaltPureMaltPureMalt...

Oh God....It didn't happen to me.....My bottle of Pure Malt must be spoilt........I am still using 'Rogaine'

Dependent

I'm trying to refrain from proliferating the Pure Malt buzz, but that was damn funny.

Now, if you told us what Pure Coffee did for you...

A Wolf Shirt and Pure Malt?

At the same time?...

LiveJazz, that would officially make you a hipster. Just incase you were striving to become one.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Quote Originally Posted by AZsmells View Post
    do chicks dig it?
    You bet!

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    Oh God....It didn't happen to me.....My bottle of Pure Malt must be spoilt........I am still using 'Rogaine'
    Did you use the right amount of sprays? Wear on the right time of day? Spray to the right part of the body? Say the right password?

Everything must be very precise, or won't work.

Blog Entries

I know we're not supposed to get political here, but is it too early to think about Pure Malt in 2012? If you ask me, only Pure Malt is capable of dealing with that Mayan calendar thing.

^ Widespread use of Pure Malt is the cause of the end of the Mayan calendar!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    Now, if you told us what Pure Coffee did for you...
    You know when Dr. Manhattan turns into a being of pure energy in Watchmen? It's was kind of like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    You bet!

Love Black Dynamite. Excellent call on the video haha

You bet!

and when you 'spray the top' the panties drop

AromiErotici

Default Pure Malt side effects?

The rumor mill can be a vicious machine. Just yesterday I overheard a conversation at a fragrance counter that Pure Malt can cause testicular atrophy if used as a signature scent. Regardless of how good Pure Malt is or isn't, do I want to risk developing baby nutz in order to emit sillage?

Now, if Pure Malt eradicated that pesky toenail fungus or magically curtailed the growth of nasal hair in men over 40, then I could see the possibilities of numerous blind buys.

From what I have managed to read, this is some magic juice....but in life, all things that look, taste or smell good all come with a price tag. Do I want to smell Malty bad enough to risk the family jewels? On the other hand....maybe that wouldn't happen. Maybe, because I'm me, I'll become enhanced instead. Being large, in charge and smelling good at the same time is hard to resist.

I simply don't know what to believe about the Malt. Malted balls should be a food group, not a condition. More than likely however, it's all a crock of %$#@ and I'm becoming alarmed. I should not have eavesdropped on that conversation in the first place.

I think I'll just sample wear a small amount and conduct 2 minute checks down there for any change. This just may be worth living on the wild side......

Default Pure Malt in the nude

Donated one for science. Well, my own curiosity really.

Got burned on the FragranceNet batch few weeks back. I can see why this is a limited edition - the shelf life is patchetic. The frag is completely unweareable.

It arrived wrapped, but the box had been previously opened, you could tell when opening - the carton flap was all bent etc. Nice job with the rewrapping, very professionally done (Mugler US?).

I don't understand why the rubber case is used to begin with these, the sprayer doesn't work well in it at all. The nice thing is you can sort of throw the rubber bottles around without worrying about them, but still it's not worth having the sprayer malfunction constantly.

First and last time I dealt with FragranceNet, f 'em.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Pure Malt side effects?

I don't mind the testicular shrinkage, really. It's worth it for the dozens of women throwing themselves at me.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    I don't mind the testicular shrinkage, really. It's worth it for the dozens of women throwing themselves at me.
    So true....What use do the 'family jewels' got if you don't put them to good use when things are getting heated.....they are going to wither away, anyways...one day....it's better they die in(action)..... :-)

Everything can be avoided if proper precautions are taken. Wear testicle weights, and as tempting as it may be, resist dipping at-risk areas entirely in Pure Malt, making do instead with a more modest ten to twenty sprays in that vicinity.

Sometimes we must suffer for art.

Default Re: Pure Malt in the nude

I had a recent bad experience with Fragrancenet which is hopefully getting resolved. But I have been hearing bad things from them recently, might not buy from them as much as I normally do. Definitely will stop if the new bottle of GIT I am getting replaced is crap.

As for the shelf life I don't think it's so much the fragrance itself not having good shelf life but the way the company stocks their inventory or who they get it from. As you said the box had its problems. I just ordered a back up of Pure Malt from Nordstroms so I don't have to worry about bad product.

I ordered mine from Sephora - no problems!
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

i went to duty free in dallas in the summer, and they had boxes of that shit like it was going out of style. Loved that shit.

Everything can be avoided if proper precautions are taken. Wear testicle weights, and as tempting as it may be, resist dipping at-risk areas entirely in Pure Malt
    You have totally taken all the fun out it for me. I guess I'll have to return my well-used bottle to Nordstroms. The dipping was certainly fun while it lasted though!

Well reading all these threads about Pure Malt has given me a headache and I don't even own a bottle. How's that for a side effect

I ordered a bottle from Nordstrom on Monday and it is supposed to arrive this afternoon via UPS.

Already, I've felt the power. My hairline has returned to what it was in my early twenties and it has added a couple inches below the belt.

i've heard even the simple act of discussing it causes people to go blind...... buy
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads