Code of Conduct
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Pure Malt

Default Re: pure malt!

Quote Originally Posted by Birdboy48 View Post
    Really, they made another batch, and in spite of it's well known popularity, they made so little of it that it sold out in just a few hours ?

Just like most other companies, they have no real interest in making money, I guess.
    Maybe this stuff really does take a long time to make due to the "aged in oak barrels" thing.

I want more pure malt too, but I don't want Thierry Mugler taking short cuts either. I got some from the September release and it was the same high quality as the earlier releases.

I had an opportunity to purchase this AM (thanks to this thread) but passed on it (very tempted though). I like PM a lot but I don't find it to be a scent that I can wear on most occasions. Maybe it's a gourmand thing.

That's disappointing, wanted to grab a bottle of this. Don't really understand why they are so averse to selling this in reasonable quantities.

Maybe as someone said, ingredients need time. Just like wine and scotch distributors only have a certain lot for each year. Who knows.

Even with the mania on basenotes for PM, I'm sure a-men outsells PM 100:1 so in the big scheme of things its not like Mulger is getting killed by not releasing this more widely.

What about Pure Coffee? Is it aged in barrels too? If not, he should make that a permanent fragrance in the A*Men line.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Wait, do they claim it is literally aged in barrels? I always thought they just pumped some different aromachemicals into the mix to make Pure Malt. I have a hard time believing that there are actual casks and aging involved.

yeah they actually claim that on their website.

I highly doubt it's actually aged in the barrels, sometimes you just gotta play along with that stuff.

I really hope they re-release Pure Coffee though, I've only got about 50ml left!

if pure malt was aged and all that why is it $10 cheaper then Havana and $20 cheaper then the chili pepper one? I highly doubt it needs to be aged and only 100 bottles at a time...

weird they did pure malt again and not pure coffee yet. my 3 bottles of PM says ready to be shipped! wooohooo! I do like PM the best out of them all. now I have enough for a couple years!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my stuff for sale!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=223916

Yeah, that Pure Malt re-release came out of nowhere. I don't even think there were rumors about it this time.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Dependent

I really wish I hadn't read this thread (lol). Now I'm killing myself that I missed this

anyone looking for pure malt - i have a spare bottle , new . pm me if you wantt to purchase it this is my last bottle so just you know .
    1 .L Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Amouage Reflection Man
    3. Musc Ravageur
    4. Dior Homme Intense
    5. Aqua Universalis Forte - MFK
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure malt
    8. Serge Lutens Chergui
    9. Comme Des Garcons Sequoia
    10.Terre D' Hermes

screwdriver-your gonna get banned dude.

Quote Originally Posted by screwdriver View Post
    anyone looking for pure malt - i have a spare bottle , new . pm me if you wantt to purchase it this is my last bottle so just you know .
    This thing... Don't do it.

Default Pure Malt Initial Review

Ok, today I received my sample of Pure Malt from the Perfume Court... Finally got to sample this fragrance... so far this smells to me like Angel Man toned down with a touch of whiskey... very nice! Let's wait and see how this develop... but so far, it's very nice... but i was expecting much more from this fragrance since it's very popular and rare now...
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Default Re: Pure Malt Initial Review

I have owned a few bottles in the past. Every once in a while Thierry Mugler would put it up on their website and I would purchase. Even though I like the fragrance a lot I don't think it is worth all of the love that it is getting. I really enjoy the boozy opening but it does dry down to a very generic vanilla dry down. To my nose this is not worth paying niche prices for. None of the Pure series is worth what people are willing to pay on ebay and sale forums. I want to try Pure Havane, but I am scared that I would like it and have to overpay for another Thierry Mugler scent.

Still would like to try it... hoping I get lucky when they list it on their site again.

Quote Originally Posted by jeightseven View Post
    Still would like to try it... hoping I get lucky when they list it on their site again.
    They just made it available at the end of last year. They are probably not going to make it available for quite some time. It is in your best interest to purchase some samples from the perfume court so this hype monster could slowly die.

IMO one of the better flankers out there.

Nothing original, smells okay. Much better frags on the market with similar vibes.

I own both and enjoy both. If I had to choose one, I'd go with Pure Havane. I love the cherry tobacco, chocolate blend. Nice stuff.

Basenotes Junkie

Never tried pure havane but I like pure malt waaay more than A*men

+1 for pure havane being better than pure malt.

If you like the idea, but not the boozy note, there is the much cheaper Enrico Sebastiano Fine Cologne. With than one, you get spice and lime, with a hint of woods, before going into a very similar base.

The biggest difference between Pure Malt and the original A*men is that Pure Malt is much much smoother than A*men... you don't get that harsh top note like A*men, and the whiskey note blends in very nice... I am not sure why Theirry Mugler pulled this one off the market? Why is he making this a Limited Edition, when so many people love this one? Makes no sense....
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by change1 View Post
    The biggest difference between Pure Malt and the original A*men is that Pure Malt is much much smoother than A*men... you don't get that harsh top note like A*men, and the whiskey note blends in very nice... I am not sure why Theirry Mugler pulled this one off the market? Why is he making this a Limited Edition, when so many people love this one? Makes no sense....
    Completely Agree. Love pure malt

Still have yet to get my nose on this one

Just got my full bottle of this...it smells way different then A*men than I thought it would be. The dry down I can see being similar but the start is very fruity, maybe a little boozy too. But it smells REALLY good to me. I'm a new huge fan.

Basenotes Junkie

First time i smelled this, I thought it was something that you would think is popular and smelled before since it was so nice.

There is nothing - NOTHING on the market that smells close to this. The other A*Men of course resemble this, especially in the opening but in the drydrown this is in a league of its own.

My go-to for winter and I'm looking forward to when the temp drops and I can bring this baby out again!

Default Pure Malt 09 vs 10?

Hey guys is it me or is there a slight difference between the 09 version and 2010 pure malt? mid and dry down is the same but the start up seems a slight difference.

Default Re: Pure Malt 09 vs 10?

I haven't heard of any differences from others on this forum, but I'm not sure.

Ok were gonna do this now? Batch variation -- the essense of basenotes!

Excellent.
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Quote Originally Posted by PureEclipse View Post
    Hey guys is it me or is there a slight difference between the 09 version and 2010 pure malt? mid and dry down is the same but the start up seems a slight difference.
    This has to stop! Creed has some noticeable differences but that is the only house that I have experienced significant differences with some of their fragrances from year to year. I am not so sure about batch to batch.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. 5 o'clock au Gingembre
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Musc Ravageur
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Epic Man
    10.Tobacco Vanille

No difference whatsoever.

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Delete Thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmm so I guess the heat during shipment caused it to change during the summer. I remember when I opened the package it was red hot and notice it didn't smell the same as the other pure malt I have. To be honest it smelt more sweeter and stronger and not as smooth.

Basenotes Junkie

i have a regular bottle and a tester and didnt notice differences in each upon receiving them

Default Pure Malt - What's the Fuss?

Just got 5ml decant of Pure Malt and as an variation on A-Men is fairly good one, but that still don't make it top notch fragrance.

I saw some ridiculously high prices asked for this one and I am inclined to think it is only because most of the fragrance lovers followed the hype and didn't try sample first.

If this one is in the mass production I don't think they could ask more than $60-$70 for 100ml and after the market would have got saturated you could get it in a gift set for the same price.

Question is why did you pay $60+ for this fragrance (if you did). Is it beacuse it is not in mass production and it is hard to get ti or you really think it is worth it.

At the end I am glad that I tried it and I am now done with whole Muggler A men line. Not my cup of tea.
    Right now I think that I have all the fragrances that I want.

Default Re: Pure Malt - What's the Fuss?

I think that it's one you either love at first smell or dislike rather quickly. I'm in the first group.
    Last edited by hednic; 24th January 2012 at 03:01 PM.

Basenotes Junkie

I paid over $60 for this because it can easily be sold back for more due to availability and hype. It holds a high value plus its a great scent.

Personally, I think it's the best gourmand there is.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Personally, I think it's the best gourmand there is.
    agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I think that it's one you either love at first smell or dislike rather quickly. I'm in the first group.
    Neither love, Neither dislike it. I am just plainly indifferent to this scent. I don't see any value in owning this one.
    As for the gourmand scents that most of the basenotes crowd knows about, Chergui is way much better than this one and New Haarlem as a matter of fact.
    Right now I think that I have all the fragrances that I want.

I do like it, I alway spray some on every time I go to my friends. But I think there's a reason why I keep going back to the original the one that started this hype A*Men.

I think it is a great scent but IMO there are much better gourmand's out there than this one for the same or less money.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Musc Ravageur
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Epic Man
    10.Tobacco Vanille

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by MJM_77 View Post
    I think it is a great scent but IMO there are much better gourmand's out there than this one for the same or less money.
    what do you recommend in the lower price ranges? I do have au masculin which i like a lot also and rochas to me is just okay.

Just like any fragrance, it's only worth it if you love the scent.

Prices are a result of supply and demand.

Personally, I think the Pure Malt and Coffee are great... not super versatile but I'm happy to have 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince23heat View Post
    what do you recommend in the lower price ranges? I do have au masculin which i like a lot also and rochas to me is just okay.
    I actually like some of the Givenchy line... Play, Play Intense, Pi, Gentleman. They have a lot of good inexpensive gourmand scents.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Musc Ravageur
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Epic Man
    10.Tobacco Vanille

Pure Malt is way too overrated

It is a great scent. supply and demand.

I got this for $125 and I really couldn't be happier. It's one of my favorite scents. I'm sure part of the reason I was willing to pay that much was that I love collecting things, especially if they're hard to find...but the scent lives up to my hopes.

Good, but not great. Nothing more, nothing less. Never understood the fuss personally.
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

Even though it's over hyped here it's still one of my favs. This was the one that started my obsession with fragrances.

It's a nice scent, but overrated. I think the whole mystique about Pure Malt is the fact that it's discontinued. If it was still in production, not nearly as much people would give a damn.

It's simultaneously a very nice fragrance and overrated. I can understand why so many people love it but I'd never pay some of the high prices being asked.

Not looking to hijack the topic at hand but, is there some certainty or even an ETA on when Pure Malt or the other much-ballyhooed (sorry, just always wanted to use that word ) flankers will be re-released or re-re-re-released?? I'm a bit new to the TM line so, I don't fully understand the company's M.O. re: these flankers - seems like it's the ol' OPEC school of limited supply game. And it sounds like when/if they re-appear it may only be via the official TM website...thanks in advance for any enlightenment.

I don't think it's overrated , as i have never smelled anything quite like it . Add to the fact that it smells realllyy good !
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Quote Originally Posted by luvinfragsguy View Post
    Even though it's over hyped here it's still one of my favs. This was the one that started my obsession with fragrances.
    Me as well... not sure if that has been a good or bad thing?!?! Have probably spent over $1500 since my 1st bottle of Pure Malt.