Code of Conduct
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Pure Malt

Default Re: Pure Malt - What's the Fuss?

It's the kind of scent that I just always want to reach for but know I have other fragrances to use.

Insanely expensive, but even though I disliked A Men and Pure Havane, I really like pure malt because of the warm, brown, smoky-ness I get out of it. Or maybe its just because I wore my sample of it on vacation, in a beautiful location

This is my first blind buy. In the beginning I did not like it. Now I started to appreciate the scent. It is good IMO but not the best gourmand.

It's a great scent no doubt, but keep in mind that the only reason it's so expensive right now is because of supply and demand. Re-sellers are the ones selling it for $100+ on eBay, the last time it was available on TM's website it was $70, a very reasonable price for this fragrance IMO.

i still dont get it

Never understood the hype about this one either. But then I am not into gourmands, most of them are combination of sickly sweetness and sratchy synthetic woody amber to me, with the exception of Guerlain L'Instant EDP.

I spent to much, honestly, for Pure Malt on ebay (I'll let you wonder how much), but I'm glad I did. If it is ever re-released I will gladly purchase another bottle at retail just to have a backup. I just love the smell and so does my wife. For the record, I am not a big fan of original A*Men, but Pure Malt is just great. I do like Pure Haven as well, but it doesn't last as long on me. Thinking back, the first smell of Pure Malt I just thought it was ok, but seems like every time I wear it I like it more and more.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliDude View Post
    It's a nice scent, but overrated. I think the whole mystique about Pure Malt is the fact that it's discontinued. If it was still in production, not nearly as much people would give a damn.
    This.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Pure malt is THE most over rated scent. Hell is had its own subsection in the forums. I won't say it's a bad fragrance because it's not. I owned if for a while and used and liked it but at the end of the day it was A Man with some berries and whiskey added to it. I think for me the main problem I had was I HATED the original A Men and the only reason I bought it was to see what the fuss was about. But it left me feeling slightly...underwhelmed

I think it's pretty good myself. I don't hype it, but I can see why some might. Like a few others here, it was one of the scents that jump started my fragrance hobby.

imo youtube and fragrance site, over-hype TM frags like crazy.

I like it and was gaga over it for a first few months but hardly find oportunity to wear it nowdays (because I rarely party and IMO this is purpose of Pure Malt) so I sold all my backup bottles. It may be overhyped but is still one of best (if not best) designer fragrances in last 3 years.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme

I love it. There's a time deep in the drydown where I'll catch a whiff of it here and there, it's the perfect sweet whisky/caramel/patchouli blend, it just makes me smile to smell it on a cold day. That said, it is very much over-hyped. Though lately the hype machine has been shifting to L'Instant Extreme and Dior Homme Intense.

The ebay prices are not related only to the hype, but also the limited and dwindling supply of this fragrance.
    My top 5: Sea Mist; Minnow; Crab, tiger, and almonds; Semprini; Rancid Polecat N° 2

It is a unique scent that has gotten way too much attention. I still think Pure Havane is the best flanker from TM.

It has the most realistic slut-in-a-club-breath accord that is both fascinating to me and utterly unwearable.

Quote Originally Posted by Nouveau Nez View Post
    Not looking to hijack the topic at hand but, is there some certainty or even an ETA on when Pure Malt or the other much-ballyhooed (sorry, just always wanted to use that word ) flankers will be re-released or re-re-re-released?? I'm a bit new to the TM line so, I don't fully understand the company's M.O. re: these flankers - seems like it's the ol' OPEC school of limited supply game. And it sounds like when/if they re-appear it may only be via the official TM website...thanks in advance for any enlightenment.
    While I have no official date whatsoever on the re-releasing of PM and other flankers, I can recommend you send an email to circle@usa.mugler.net with my name and mailing address and they will actually add you to their waiting list for the Pure Collection.

OT, I've yet to pick up a sample of Pure Malt or Pure Coffee though I do plan on it. Pure Havane I purchased because I was able to test it in Macy's when it was still available and I loved it. Still curious if Pure Malt would have the same effect. Any BNers willing to send a tiny sample?

Quote Originally Posted by nen View Post
    Me as well... not sure if that has been a good or bad thing?!?! Have probably spent over $1500 since my 1st bottle of Pure Malt.
    lol tru dat! daym you basenotes!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by morrison74 View Post
    Good, but not great. Nothing more, nothing less. Never understood the fuss personally.
    agree ...

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by killerloop View Post
    While I have no official date whatsoever on the re-releasing of PM and other flankers, I can recommend you send an email to circle@usa.mugler.net with my name and mailing address and they will actually add you to their waiting list for the Pure Collection.

OT, I've yet to pick up a sample of Pure Malt or Pure Coffee though I do plan on it. Pure Havane I purchased because I was able to test it in Macy's when it was still available and I loved it. Still curious if Pure Malt would have the same effect. Any BNers willing to send a tiny sample?
    You have a PM

Default A*Men Pure Malt disappointment

After all the positive reviews I took the gamble and bought Pure Malt as a blind-buy. I already own Pure Havane and A*Men Classic. It smells terrific but I am utterly disappointed in the longevity and projection of Pure Malt. After one hour or so it is virtually non-detectable anymore and just very close to the skin. That is just unacceptable. Clearly the weakest scent of the whole Pure-line in my opinion.

Can't understand all the rave reviews on here as the quality of Pure Malt is below par.

Where the A*Men classic last 10-12 hours with huge projection, Pure Havane lasts about 4 hours and Pure Malt only 1 - 2 hours with little to no projection after an hour.

Utterly disappointed.

Do you have the same experience?

Cheers!
    Last edited by stuigi; 7th February 2012 at 12:17 PM.

Default Re: A*Men Pure Malt disappointment

Thankfully have no longevity problems with Pure Malt.

I don't have any problems either. Did you get it from a reliable source??

I get at least 8 hours with my Pure Malt. In fact, all the flankers last at least 8 hours on me. The original definitely has the best longevity. Olfactory fatigue perhaps?
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Are you sure this isn't olfactory fatigue? There is just no way Pure Malt should be gone in an hour or two. It's barely past the initial stage at that point and should last at least two more hours, if not many more.

And yes, this is one of the most overhyped fragrances in history. Personally, I find it average -- not a bad scent, but not bottle worthy. Of course, I find the original A*Men unwearable, so factor that into your consideration of my opinion.
    Current Top Five:

Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post
    Are you sure this isn't olfactory fatigue? There is just no way Pure Malt should be gone in an hour or two. It's barely past the initial stage at that point and should last at least two more hours, if not many more.
    Ok I may have to agree with this, maybe you over worn the scent. Try something else then the a*men line for a week and go back to it.

This lasts a little longer that PH for me, and about the same as Amen, PC is the shortest lasting. And out of all of them it smells the best to me.

Seriously, where are you guys still buying Pure Malt from?

Is it purely from ebay/other basenoters?

Got mine on ebay for a decent price. Wait until the last second and don't give them a chance to rebid.

Same here -- got it on Ebay. I think the price I paid was about eighty or ninety dollars. I haven't seen any reports of Pure Malt forgeries -- the bottle is very unique and probably very expensive to try to knock off.
    Current Top Five:

I blind bought PM from a basenote member who ordered it direct from Mugler. I was interested in PM from owning Pure Havane. I find that PH and PM are very much alike. I do find Pure Havane to be a powerhouse compared to Pure Malt. I know others will dissagree, but I've got to be honest with my impression. I feel PM to be a lighter version than PH, which contradicts what others have said on a few threads; but is in agreement with some others. I feel their top notes are very very simular except that touch of tobacco in PH, and it's towards the latter part of the middle that PH and PM become even more alike with PH just being stronger. I find as the OP that it's longevity is not up to par. However, I really do enjoy PM. The one thing it reveals to me that PH does not is an ever slight floral, or is it amber? I dont know, so go ahead and call me crazy, but I pick up a pretty little touch of something in the booziness which I enjoy; it just strikes me as floral. However, to me Pure Havane should have got the hype over PM due to the attributes of having more depth, stamina, projection and pressence througout a long wear, along with delivering such an amazing scent throughout the full wear, easily 10 hours for me. I guess if I owned PM first, I would have picked up PH. But if I had smelled PM, I would have passed since already owning PH. Reguardless, I'm glad to have both.

I get more than 10 hours with 2-3 sprays, even during the winter.

My brother is a Pure Malt FANATIC. He has amassed several full bottles and has a large box of wrapped official sample packs. There is a positively tremendous batch variation across the batches. He has full bottles of the first two batches (I could get batch codes, but not tonight. PM me if interested.) and he had me try them out. The first batch has a much sweeter boozy base and lasts way longer, while the second is far drier and almost woody. The first batch has a more distinct berry in the top notes as well, while the second is more believably whiskey. Surprisingly, he favors the second batch, although it lasts a couple of hours less than the original batch. Either way, they both last waaaaaaayyyyyyy longer on me than you mentioned, and fragrances don't usually last too well on me. Perhaps your fragrance is damaged in some way.

These are allegedly aged in used oak whiskey casks, which could easily explain the variation. Very cool! This is one instance where I think it's rather okay to have wild batch variations in perfume; that's part of the concept.

Liked it, and didn't have any of your problems, but not sure I would by a full bottle

Basenotes Junkie

didnt know about batch issues... but both my pure malts last forever

Pure Malt will last a long time for designer but I did get olfactory fatigue after three or so hours. Others can still smell it on you after the three hours of projection and scillage but it does become a skin scent for the drydown.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Dior Homme Parfum
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Pure Malt
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Noir de Noir
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. 5 o'clock au Gingembre
    9. Epic Man
    10.Tobacco Vanille

I'm disappointed that you're disappointed.

Could still smell whiffs of it on my wrists after (24 hours + shower) .

Projection is amazing on my skin as well .

Sorry about your situation ....
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

This is news to me. I get minimum 8 hours out of this from two sprays. If I hit my clothes by accident this can and will linger for 4+ days.

Sounds like you got a dodgy batch.

Never had a single longevity problem with this one. 10 hours minimum at least. It's funny, when Pure Havane first came out I remember seeing a few posters saying similarly that it lasted for about an hour. I thought the same thing when I first used it too. Olfactory fatigue, plain and simple.

Give it a break, and come back to it in a week or so. Sooner or later you'll realize that it's probably lasting a lot longer than you think it is.

Sorry man but you probably bought watered down fake. PM on me lasts 10+ hours.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme

Quote Originally Posted by Elmonogrande View Post
    Pure Malt only 1 - 2 hours with little to no projection after an hour.
    No chance. Your either experiencing olfactory fatigue or there's something wrong with your bottle (I hope it's the former).

That doesn't sound like Pure Malt. Can smell mine the following day, no problem. Ladies absolutely love this one, had plenty of them push their nose near my neck to get a closer sniff. It's a winner.

Didn't have longevity problem but was hugely disappointed with fragrance after all hype he received.
    Right now I think that I have all the fragrances that I want.

Reading all the replies and references to the past I have to concluded it must be from a underwhelming badge. But then again, seems unlikely to me that in these modern days there can be a great variation in batches. It is a very computerized automic filling process these days with all ingredients standardized. If it would have been a manual process this would be different.

I own lots a fragrances and never wear a scent more frequent than maybe once every 2 weeks. Why does TV of Tom Ford or Black Afgano last a day on me. Terres d Hermes gives met 6-8 hours. Same goes for Aqua di Parma Essenza. Could it still be olfactory fatigue then for just PM? Odd.

I can't beleive it is a fake bottle as it was sealed, boxed, documentation inside, etc and looked very genuin. Very hard to fake the whole set in my opinion. And seems to be very short in supply.

Maybe I am just unlucky and I had too high hopes. Very frustrating as it smells great but can't see myself reapplying it every hour. Sigh

It is possible that just THIS particular frag is fatiguing your nose. I've experienced that quite a few times. I also highly doubt that it's fake.

Never heard of a fake Terry Muigler anything. I wore Pure Havanne yesterday and got over 12 hours out of it till I had to shower. So I would be guessing olfactory overload or it may be your skin. Some things on me go sour so it could just be a chance happening. I'm sure it won't take long to sell on here or find a swap. I was thinking of trying to find a bottle myself.

I dont get much noticeable scent from PM either. Let's say on a scale of 1 to 10 in term of longevity, A*Men got a 10, Pure Malt only gets 4 and Pure Coffee would be just 2, at least to me.

Yeah I don't know how to feel about my Pure Malt as well. Got it from ebay, came in a white box instead of that fancy one that I always see advertised (though the seller is extremely highly regarded). The opening smell is fantastic but anything after is very faint to my nose I don't know why.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Thankfully have no longevity problems with Pure Malt.
    same here.

Ps. maybe the OP has an irregular batch.
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

Perhaps this particular fragrance goes off rather easily; I seriously doubt the existence of fake Pure Malt. Either way, I'm baffled the OP's experience is what he says. Maybe it's a very new batch?

Pure malt lasts and lasts on my skin. I doubt as well that it's worth to be faked, it's too rare.
    I have to say that at first I didn't get the strength 100%, but now even one drop on my skin is super powerful and I can tell for hours it's definitely there and going strong.
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

I don't have any problems on PM,Are u you sure about this?Should try again? I know it is EDT frag and PM's performance is really enough for me.But you should look first as a good and unique scent. :|

Default Thierry Mugler Pure Malt

So i won a bid on ebay for a BNIB still sealed pure malt. I cant wait to get this. I paid a heavy amount for it so i hope its worth it

Default Re: Thierry Mugler Pure Malt

Quote Originally Posted by Bigrahizzle View Post
    So i won a bid on ebay for a BNIB still sealed pure malt. I cant wait to get this. I paid a heavy amount for it so i hope its worth it
    If you dont mind me asking, how much did you pay?

Default Re: Thierry Mugler Pure Malt

Hope you're happy with it, i certainly was. Has a great opening and niche-like quality. Excellent longetivity and projection. Always gets me compliments from the fairer sex. Enjoy!

Default Re: Pure Malt

I paid $177 for it, for a sealed box! Yea i hope i like it. Even if i dont i can resell it an get my money back

Definitely, you'll love it when you first buy it and you'll love it even more when you mature and learn a little bit more about frags. PS show some love, where you getting that from?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigrahizzle View Post
    I paid $177 for it, for a sealed box! Yea i hope i like it. Even if i dont i can resell it an get my money back
    That's not a bad price considering I've seen that and Coffee go for $300+ on eBay.

P.S. what's up with all these resurrected pure malt threads? Isn't it Spicebomb's turn for 15 minutes of fame?
    Last edited by mesaboogie; 11th March 2012 at 03:48 PM.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

I have this and I still don't understand the hype over it?

When the Malt buzz starts to fade, they will release a few more bottles for ten minutes on their website and the buzz will be up and running again for several weeks.