Code of Conduct
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Thread: Pure Malt

Default Re: Pure Malt

Pure Malt is 400x better than Spicebomb.

That said, I sold my bottle because the drydown was plasticy. PM lasted about 6-8 hrs on me, with decent projection at the beginning, but really mellowed out fast. PH lasts longer, and is better imo.

Quote Originally Posted by jamwires View Post

That said, I sold my bottle because the drydown was plasticy. PM lasted about 6-8 hrs on me, with decent projection at the beginning, but really mellowed out fast. PH lasts longer, and is better imo.
    400x better?

Basenotes Junkie

pure malt is the best out of the amens imo and one of the few id pay a little over retail for
    Last edited by Vince23heat; 11th March 2012 at 05:06 PM.

I bought two bottles. Sold both bottles. It wasn't for me.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Quote Originally Posted by Vince23heat View Post
    Pure Malt is the best out of the A*Mens imo
    I think I agree with this.

While I definitely enjoy Pure Malt, I think it is a bit too sweet, while Pure Havane keeps the sweetness in line, and is thus my favourite A*Men flanker.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

PM was my SOTD yesterday. I don't like PH at all. A men is ok, wouldn't want a bottle of it. Thought TOF was decent from a sample I had, but again don't want a bottle or a decant. PS is a POS
    Midnight in Paris 5 STARS
    Pure Malt 5 STARS
    Rose 31 5 STARS

As much as I love both SpiceBomb and Pure Havane, I also really liked Pure malt, but I just couldn;t wear it due to that distinct plastic note, it was like I had a beautiful masculine boozy gourmand on, but was also wearing lots and lots of cellophane. LOL

So like you, I ultimately sold off all 5 bottles I had of Pure Malt, due to always feeling cheap/plasticky when wearing it. Pure Havane is much smoother and IMHO, the best incantation of A*Men by far.

If this is indeed the case then I am sad that I never got to smell Pure Malt, because based on a left wrist spray of Pure Havane and a right wrist spray of Spicebomb I like Spicebomb better than PH. Opening and dry down.

Quote Originally Posted by chili_willi View Post
    If this is indeed the case then I am sad that I never got to smell Pure Malt, because based on a left wrist spray of Pure Havane and a right wrist spray of Spicebomb I like Spicebomb better than PH. Opening and dry down.
    Own them all, love them all... but rate like:

Pure Malt
    Spicebomb
    Pure Havane

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by killerloop View Post
    Own them all, love them all... but rate like:

Pure Malt
    Spicebomb
    Pure Havane
    so spice bomb has a similar vibe with the two amens?

It's similar in vibe only that it is a very sweet vibe to it, but to me, that's where the similarities end.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince23heat View Post
    so spice bomb has a similar vibe with the two amens?
    It has a sort of Pure Havane vibe, but it's nothing like Pure Malt. People are only comparing them b/c I remarked at the revival of the Pure Malt threads and jokingly said it was Spicebomb's turn for 15 minutes of fame.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Lol

I find it rather amusing that people are spending hundreds of $ for Pure Malt while best A*Men flanker lies in hundreds on shelves in every decent perfumery. Yeah I am talking about A*Men original, which has best sillage, best longevity, is most complex and absolutely edible. Now I can see appeal of Pure Malt for some (especially for collectors), but if it wasnt limited edition it wouldnt be as hyped as it is. Personally I would not spend more than 50 Euros for bottle of Pure Malt.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer81 View Post
    I find it rather amusing that people are spending hundreds of $ for Pure Malt while best A*Men flanker lies in hundreds on shelves in every decent perfumery. Yeah I am talking about A*Men original, which has best sillage, best longevity, is most complex and absolutely edible. Now I can see appeal of Pure Malt for some (especially for collectors), but if it wasnt limited edition it wouldnt be as hyped as it is. Personally I would not spend more than 50 Euros for bottle of Pure Malt.
    A*men isn't a flanker of itself...

also, I find Pure Malt much better than the original on most days.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer81 View Post
    I find A*Men and Pure Malt two completely different animals. I love both and they both have their own separate allure. Everyone's taste, scents, all subjective; who can really say for certain what is and isn't worth when it comes down to each individuals taste?

I just got a BNIB bottle of pure havane last week for $70 (the person was generous enough to help me out and hook me up) and i find the tobacco in it is better than spicebomb but other than the tobacco i see little to no similarities.

I havent tried pure malt yet and honestly dont know if i want to because once i really enjoy something, ill be hunting around for it and probably will fork out $150 for it. Would be nice to collect the whole Mugler line but theres so many other fragrances to try and buy that i dont know if its worth it.

I'm going to hold on to all my A*Men flankers, as I can see some appeal in each of them (maybe slightly less in the case of Pure Sh*t). Heck, I even like Pure Coffee a lot!
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Quote Originally Posted by canuck21 View Post
    I just got a BNIB bottle of pure havane last week for $70 (the person was generous enough to help me out and hook me up) and i find the tobacco in it is better than spicebomb but other than the tobacco i see little to no similarities.

I havent tried pure malt yet and honestly dont know if i want to because once i really enjoy something, ill be hunting around for it and probably will fork out $150 for it. Would be nice to collect the whole Mugler line but theres so many other fragrances to try and buy that i dont know if its worth it.
    Mind providing me with the info on how you got that bottle? I would definitely like to grab another one before I bust open my only remaining bottle

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by killerloop View Post
    It's similar in vibe only that it is a very sweet vibe to it, but to me, that's where the similarities end.
    great because i love sweet scents that have quality to them aka pure malt, 24 gold, lolita lempicka, new haarlem but rochas man and hanae mori are negatives.

Quote Originally Posted by eggy View Post
    Mind providing me with the info on how you got that bottle? I would definitely like to grab another one before I bust open my only remaining bottle
    I was looking around for pure havane and someone found a couple bottles in duty free, the person was generous enough to send me and another person BNIB of pure havane at retail price. It was a lucky coincidence, the person did it out of pure generosity and made no profit, just wanted to help another person out, and I thank him for that!

I was looking around for pure havane and someone found a couple bottles in duty free, the person was generous enough to send me and another person BNIB of pure havane at retail price. It was a lucky coincidence, the person did it out of pure generosity and made no profit, just wanted to help another person out, and I thank him for that!
    That person was truly kind to do so! Pure Havane is the best of the flankers IMHO. I go back and forth between Malt and Havane, but Havane is what got me into the A*Men game.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

I'd have to say that out of all the flankers, PM is worth the $150, especially if it won't be coming around again.

Wore PM today. It's a nice scent, but as someone else also experienced, I too get a synthetic/plastic vibe. I think it's because my nose has matured after trying so many niche fragrances.

Out of all the A*Men flankers, I would have to say Pure Coffee is the most natural smelling.

I must agree with the person who said PM is the best of the flankers. PH would be a close second.

Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post
    That person was truly kind to do so! Pure Havane is the best of the flankers IMHO. I go back and forth between Malt and Havane, but Havane is what got me into the A*Men game.
    Man. There are literally *cartons* of pure havane lying around in my city (karachi, pakistan) because men here dont really buy sweet stuff, esp not when it costs more than calvin klein and co.

The cost is PKR 7000 per bottle, and I get 15% off that rate cause my bank's credit card has a deal with that perfume store chain, and for conversion to dollars divide by 92. you do the math. I'm in the states for a few months, going back in june, if anyone's still interested PM me or something (dunno if the discount will last till then but the usual rate is still rather good judging by the internet/ebay)

Can't stand A*men but love Pure Malt. I'm glad I got 2 backup bottles when it was first released.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliDude View Post
    Wore PM today. It's a nice scent, but as someone else also experienced, I too get a synthetic/plastic vibe. I think it's because my nose has matured after trying so many niche fragrances.

Out of all the A*Men flankers, I would have to say Pure Coffee is the most natural smelling.
    Exactly. I also dont like plastic middle notes and while top notes are cool and unique they doesnt last long. Patchouli + caramel base is great but there are ****loads of patchouli based fragrances that dont have plastic middle notes, especially in niche. And if you look at current $150++ ebay price of Pure Malt, its similiar to average niche price and while I am not into "niche is better than designer" there are plenty niches (even designers) I'd take over Pure Malt at this price pont.

Dont take me wrong, I still think that Pure Malt is 5 stars fragrance (or rather 4.75) but right now high prices mirrors just its limited availability and not excellent quality of juice.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme