Code of Conduct
    Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Default Back from the mall: SJP's new scents, Thymes close-outs, new BN recruit

Me, my stinky arms, and 20+ test strips are back from a very condensed sampling tour. Highlights:

The new Sarah Jessica Parker scents (Dawn, Endless, Twilight) are available at Kohl's and Ulta. Kohl's SA said all three were selling briskly. I tried Twilight on skin and had a mini flashback to Boucheron Trouble, followed by a passing reminder of Play-doh; the dry-down turned up that sweet laboratory-amber that's been used in bases lately. Probably because I don't tend to buy new, in-wrapper bottles of perfume, I was surprised to see the detailed ingredient list on the cellophane wrapper. I've forgotten what I read now, but I recognized the terminology from Chandler Burr books. I liked Covet Pure Bloom more than the original Covet, but sorry, SJP, you haven't sold me on anything yet. Kohl's SA compared Twilight to Halle Berry's scent. I understand what she's saying even though I don't exactly agree. Halle was rather sweet and run-of-the-mill.

Entered Mayfair Mall by way of Boston Store where I captured No. 5 Eau Premiere on a Chanel mouillette. Seems quite a lot like No. 5, which is okay by me. From this glancing interlude I can draw no further conclusions. I see from a PM that Lilybelle's jumped into action and is sending some juice so I can sample EP like a grown-up perfumista. Thank you, sugar plum.

Then it was on to Sephora to play catch-up with Guerlain AA releases Cherry Blossom and Tiaré Mimosa, both of which I found very pleasant and recommendable for the young, but not suited to me. Fresh Strawberry Flowers was sparkly (briefly). A few minutes after applying, I went back and sprayed again. It's a hard scent to hold on to, as others have mentioned. I don't know if I'd even have called it "strawberry" anything in a blind sampling. The Fresh Citron de Vigne was lemon zesty--but exclusively the zest. Other new scent tried was Bulgari Omnia Green Jade (okay, no big whoop).

I revisited some frags I'd sniffed before and wanted to verify my impressions: Marc Jacobs Cucumber (still too boring) and Lemon (okay). Found out that Stila Jade Blossom is available only online. Followed my nose down to Macy's, breezing through a few more not-worth-mentionables.

One recommendation for my lemon-loving friends: Try the new C.O. Bigelow Lemon Eau de Parfum available at Bath & Body Works. It's purely lemon and doesn't have any additional peculiar laboratory perfume ingredients which often get in the way of my pleasure. It's not as complex or enthralling as, say, Malle Bigarade Concentree, but still quite admirable. My favorite citrus scent remains the Kitchen Lemon liquid hand soap from B&BW due to its slightly floral character.

A chance encounter at Soaps & Scents over the Roger & Gallet display may have turned up a new perfumista to join our chat. This gal's husband operates Badger & Blade, a guy's shaving site. I learned at S&S that Thymes is discontinuing the Green Tea and Fig Leaf & Cassis fragrances, so now's the time to buy up the remaining stock. I'm surprised FL&C isn't a big seller--it's very similar to, yet slightly better than the more-costly Jo Malone's Wild Fig & Cassis. Popped in to Ulta on the drive back home hoping they'd expanded their range of Demeters, but such was not the case.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Default Re: Back from the mall: SJP's new scents, Thymes close-outs, new BN recruit

I wish I could have gone with you. I've been dying to try the new A.A.s. I'm kind of disappointed that you're not more enthusiastic. It sounds like they are OK. I was hoping for transcendent.
    The Fresh Citron de Vigne sounds intriguing.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Back from the mall: SJP's new scents, Thymes close-outs, new BN recruit

I am sooo disappointed in SJP selling out like that. But it sounds like they're getting the hot sales they want. After I read 'The Perfect Scent' I was impressed with her knowledge and interest in perfume. But it appears to be lost on the general public.

The amber in that SJP scent was seriously cheap and nasty to my nose!
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

I sniffed the SJP's at Kohls's this weekend one was vanilla sugar water and the others I could hardly smell. The Halle was really sweet and fruity. It was good but to foody, wanted to chew my arm off. But if Halle ends up at Marshall's I will buy it for $19.99 of less.

sounds like you had a good time! thanks for sharing your impressions.

(as an aside, I'm surprise SJP is putting out new scents after Covet did not do well. oh, well I'm guessing she had to move on.)

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by debbborra View Post
    I wish I could have gone with you. I've been dying to try the new A.A.s. I'm kind of disappointed that you're not more enthusiastic. It sounds like they are OK. I was hoping for transcendent.
    The Fresh Citron de Vigne sounds intriguing.
    The Cherry Blossom is one of only two scents I saved from yesterday's confetti of strips and there may be transcendent potential there. Tiare-Mimosa made a better first impression, but the CB has a pretty stay-fresh drydown. I've been waiting to feel FBW about any of these little bee bottles. I'd love to put one in my cabinet.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

I want to try those new Aqua Allegoria frags! They both sound like me. Must get me to a Sephora. I sampled Halle Berry's scent while passing through Sears a couple of weeks ago. It was ok - same old pleasant floral fruity vanilla amber musk was my impression - certainly not as distinctive as I'd imagine for such a glamorous beauty as she. Thanks for the report, Quarry.

You know, that Thymes Fig Leaf and Cassis sounds a lot like the Tesco Fig that Sestra and I bang on about (and got Tao hooked on). There's a heads-up for you, Tommi!

I have to admit to an admiration for SJP. She strikes me as a hard-working, level-headed kind of gal and I like that she thinks about the price of things she gets involved with, even though she has an image that's built around Manolos and Dior.

I've been looking at the monthly circular from Import Parfumerie (a lightly discounted perfume chain) and one of their special offers this month is Jean Reno's perfume, Jean Reno Loves You. I am tempted purely because of his name on the bottle! How sad a celeb crush is that????
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    ...and one of their special offers this month is Jean Reno's perfume, Jean Reno Loves You. I am tempted purely because of his name on the bottle! How sad a celeb crush is that????
    Not at all to me. Perfectly understandable. He is waaaay sexy. I'd want to check that one out too.