Code of Conduct

Default Citrus Paradisi VS Kouros

I finally got the chance to sample Kouros today and I was shocked at how tame this is (it doesn't smell that much like pee/civet) but I was also surprised at how much Kouros has in common with Citrus Paradisi.

I didn't test them side by side and my nose can't be sure on the specifics, but I would assume both Kouros and Citrus Paradisi have very, very similar bases of oakmoss, civet and ambergris. The only major difference would be that Citrus Paradisi has the most crisp and inviting grapefruit opening with some coriander, while Kouros does not. So, IOW I found that Kouros = Citrus Paradisi on the drydown

Anyone else notice this?
    Sales thread here

Default Re: Citrus Paradisi VS Kouros

Sorry champ... I really can't. *shrug*

I think thats pretty much the way I smell them too. Citrus Paradisi is all grapefruit in the opening whereas Kouros is orange and spice, then the drydowns are somewhat similar. The animal drydown of Citrus Paradisi might be more like the Eau Sauvage drydown than Kouros though. However, the opening notes of the two are so different that the fragrances don't really smell that much like each other.

No, I don't see the similarities. I wore Citrus Paradisi a few days ago and Kouros is my scent of the day.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Don't like both.. while Citrus Paradisi is more like a disgusted toilet near a deserted tankstation.
    unico grande amore.

Quote Originally Posted by L'aventurier View Post
    I finally got the chance to sample Kouros today and I was shocked at how tame this is
    you must be Kingkong..

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    you must be Kingkong..
    My expectations were, in fact, blown up to the level where I expected to smell King Kong, thus the "tame" experience! I found MKK to be much more shocking when I tried it. Kouros is definitely more badass though.
    Last edited by L'Aventurier; 28th April 2009 at 05:45 PM.
    Sales thread here

Can't smell many similarities between the two. Comparing bases, Citrus Paradisi has a sparse base consisting mostly of moss + civet. Kouros has a more expansive base composed of oakmoss and civet which are well complimented by contrasting notes like honey, tonka, vanilla and leather. Its like comparing Mini-me to Dr. Evil.
    -

I don't believe that there is a significant similarity between the two, other than maybe drinking in the same bar from time to to time. To me, it is not conclusive

Seems I spoke too soon. Back to the sample vial I go.

Edit: Smelled Kouros again today and it's very different from Citrus Paridisi. I still maintain though that they share very similar bases, (ie. an overdose of oakmoss and civet). Perhaps they did once drink in the same bar together.
    Last edited by L'Aventurier; 9th June 2009 at 04:51 AM.
    Sales thread here

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Kouros...................................Citrus Paradisi

Not close in my book.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Quote Originally Posted by L'aventurier View Post
    My expectations were, in fact, blown up to the level where I expected to smell King Kong, thus the "tame" experience! I found MKK to be much more shocking when I tried it. Kouros is definitely more badass though.
    I agree with you. Kouros is definitely very aggressive and masculine, but after reading all the really outrageous and over the top reviews here on basenotes, describing it as cat pee and sex in the men's room, I was expecting something really shocking. I actually think it smells nice

Quote Originally Posted by monsieur_sparkle View Post
    ... but after reading all the really outrageous and over the top reviews here on basenotes
    Many of the reviews on BN may not tell you a thing about the fragrance but they can be entertaining to read.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    Many of the reviews on BN may not tell you a thing about the fragrance but they can be entertaining to read.
    Like this one?

The Baron de Charlus once told me: 'It was in the East End of London that I first encountered Davidoff's Zino. Two tough-looking young men thrust a bottle of it into my hands. "'Ere you are, mister," they growled, "we like it but our mum reckons it's a ponce's perfume, so you 'ave it." Applying said lotion to both wrists, I approvingly registered its suave golden glory, as well as its partial affinities with Guerlain's Heritage and the much older Crown's Sandringham. "Garn, mister," piped a scruffy urchin, "wossat the Kray twins just give yer? Gissa a sniff!" "My dear child," I riposted, "I fear you are so inured to the smells of poverty, so begrimed in the odours of chip fat, snot, unwashed clothing and ordure, that the scent of such a delectable fragrance as Zino would probably only afford you a seizure!"
    At this, both he and his equally grimy gang of companions grew surly and menacing. I fingered my swordstick. Fortunately or unfortunately, two burly constables intervened at this point, arresting me for being in possession of stolen property and an offensive weapon.'
    I absolutely agree. The imaginative and entertaining reviews here on basenotes are the reason I got so interested in fragrance.

They don't smell alike to me.