Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1

    Default Is something wrong with my olfactory

    So here is what happened today.
    I was getting ready to go to my class, and both me and my mom was in the bathroom. I was gonna spray my cologne(its just casual so I picked the adg), and she was standing about 2.5ft+ away, I did my 1st spritz and she was like "ease on it dear" , I didn't care and hit the 2nd spritz (usually I'd have like 5+) and she went like "wow now that's enough I can smell it clearly from here". I was like whatever and hit the 3rd and hit the road.
    It was strange for me because I always thought my skin doesn't hold fragrance well and I could barely smell it(or even not at all unless I stick my nose to my wrist ). That's why I've never used less than 5 spritz when going with my colognes(all of them). I'm wondering if I disgusted anyone off before. (I've never received any compliments from other ppl that's why I like to go tough a little).
    The weird thing is I can still smell my OS deodorant stick clearly.
    I'm wondering if something is wrong with my olfactory. Has this happened to any of you?
    Last edited by ImpalaSS; 28th April 2009 at 01:49 AM.
    Perfume noob

  2. #2

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    135

    Default Re: Is something wrong with my olfactory

    I find that I 'acclimatize' to fragrances and don't realize how strong they are to people who don't wear fragrances (not that I particularly care). I once wore a patchouli fragrance and eight hours later I went out for dinner - the waiters were talking to each other 'where is that patchouli coming from?' meanwhile I couldn't smell it on myself at all. Last week 5 hours before a flight I put on a normal application of Dior Homme. The person I was visiting commented on how good I smelled (10 hours after application), long after I thought it had worn off - which got me wondering if the people on the plane next to me could also smell the DH strongly, which I suppose they did.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Is something wrong with my olfactory

    Your mom is also reacting to all the spray that puffs out of the sprayer when you spray--not what lands on you and mixes with you and gets beaten down by your skin. Of course a spray is going to be powerful--and in the air--because it's just been sprayed. I wear six sprays usually. Once you're out of the room where you spray scent on, and out of the house, and thinking about other things there's no danger of a reaction like your mom's.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

  5. #5
    Scentronic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Metro Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    2,748

    Default Re: Is something wrong with my olfactory

    Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Your mom is also reacting to all the spray that puffs out of the sprayer when you spray--not what lands on you and mixes with you and gets beaten down by your skin. Of course a spray is going to be powerful--and in the air--because it's just been sprayed. I wear six sprays usually. Once you're out of the room where you spray scent on, and out of the house, and thinking about other things there's no danger of a reaction like your mom's.
    I totally agree... And, it sounds like your mom is a fragrance-phobe. If she's already wondering if you're going to put too much on after ONE spray, then she doesn't know what she's talking about. I hate when people are like this. It's like an extension of being a hypochondriac!
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Irvine, Orange County, CA
    Posts
    331

    Default Re: Is something wrong with my olfactory

    All of your senses are tuned to detect changes in their inputs, that is, they are at their most active and sensitive when there is a change in the sensory input (which is why, sometimes, if you fall asleep with the TV on and someone turns it off, you will wake up). So your nose gradually gets used to whatever its being exposed to and begins to tune it out. That being said though, 5 sprays is not too much at all, especially with a light citrus like ADG. I usually use 5 sprays of anything per application, unless its super strong, or a very concentrated EDP

  7. #7

    Default Re: Is something wrong with my olfactory

    I always relate it to painting a room in your house. You don't notice the smell a few days later, but a guest walks in a week later and says "you've been painting!"

  8. #8

    Default Re: Is something wrong with my olfactory

    Why don't you ask your friends whether they think you overdo it? You'll only get "un-informed" support from BN members.

    I often find one spray is enough for me to last the whole day.
    Sales thread here

  9. #9

    Default Re: Is something wrong with my olfactory

    No she is not a fragrance phobe LOL. She loves fragrances actually.
    Perfume noob

  10. #10

    Default Re: Is something wrong with my olfactory

    5 and six sprays at a time? Holy cow. I like my fragrances but I never wear more than ONE spray of any of them, and I regularly get positive comments from people standing 5 feet away from me a few hours later.
    - E.J.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Is something wrong with my olfactory

    Quote Originally Posted by TromboneGuy View Post
    5 and six sprays at a time? Holy cow. I like my fragrances but I never wear more than ONE spray of any of them, and I regularly get positive comments from people standing 5 feet away from me a few hours later.
    Ditto
    Sales thread here

  12. #12

    Default Re: Is something wrong with my olfactory

    Quote Originally Posted by aezikely View Post
    I find that I 'acclimatize' to fragrances and don't realize how strong they are to people who don't wear fragrances (not that I particularly care). I once wore a patchouli fragrance and eight hours later I went out for dinner - the waiters were talking to each other 'where is that patchouli coming from?' meanwhile I couldn't smell it on myself at all. Last week 5 hours before a flight I put on a normal application of Dior Homme. The person I was visiting commented on how good I smelled (10 hours after application), long after I thought it had worn off - which got me wondering if the people on the plane next to me could also smell the DH strongly, which I suppose they did.
    This should answer your question perfectly. Exactly the same here with me.. Others smell it, I don't or almost don't.
    unico grande amore.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Is something wrong with my olfactory

    yea 5 sounds about right
    my nose seems to tune out fragrances fairly quickly
    I remember actually just today I had sprayed some chrome on and couldn't smell jack
    then my friend passes by 3 feet away and comments on how good I smell
    go figure
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

  14. #14

    Default Re: Is something wrong with my olfactory

    I once wore one spray of Knize Ten, and I walked out my dorm as my roommate was coming in and he goes, holy shhhht, did you spray your cologne like 6 times? ONE SPRAY!
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

Similar Threads

  1. What's wrong with BOIS DU PORTUGAL?
    By dr.creed in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 25th February 2013, 03:31 PM
  2. What's wrong with GUERLAIN'S VETIVER?
    By dr.creed in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 8th October 2011, 12:16 AM
  3. Am I doing something wrong?
    By Indie_Guy in forum Fragrance DIY
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 16th November 2007, 09:04 AM
  4. Best Of the Olfactory Groups
    By jaylee555 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 22nd April 2007, 03:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000