Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: MPG Bois De Turquie: Initial Impressions

Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR View Post
    Whoah - I don't get any myrrh, or a quarter of the things you guys are listing! Orange blossom, jasmine, and incense... that's all she wrote for me!

[edit - I forgot cinnamon - the fragrance is like 50% cinnamon!]
    I do get a syrup quality though, but nothing medicinal like myrrh. I think Mike Perez is refering to sweet myrrh/opoponax, which is a different substance than regular myrrh.
    For me, BdT is an orange/cinnamon/jasmin mix over some kind of woody base with a touch of opoponax.

Basenotes Institution

I totally forgot to mention cinnamon, which is a huge oversight since it's maybe *the* main ingredient to me!..
    Oh, how I wish I got that much cinnamon Caesar! It might allow me to tolerate the myrrh/opoponax... but as it is, the cinnamon is just a tiny bit, on my skin.

As I said, I'll try again and report back. Maybe it'll show a different side to me later on.
    "Realize deeply that the present moment is all you will ever have."

-- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: Shalimar by Guerlain

So what does oppopnax smell like? I'm not familliar with it at all, besides knowing that it's in Pomegranate Noir, but that I don't know which not it is in that one either.

To Mike and everyone else - try it on a hot humid day - the summer heat and humidity have finally set in in Montreal, and I wore it today and it's getting a great reception, and it's lasting a good long while versus the usual 20 minutes.

BdT is to me therefore very much a summer fragrance, at least if you live in this kind of climate where it's freezing in winter and scorching and humid in the summer.

Incidentally, I worse Route du Vetiver last night at a show and it got an amazing reception, including from people who think they're allergic to perfume. RdV is great on humid days, and also wet rainy days.

I think you live in Florida Mike, if I remember, so maybe it's just not your thing. I'm surprised you don't get the cinnamon - the orange blossom and incense are all soaked in it. I think it's what gives it its powderiness.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sa Majesté La Rose

Currently wearing: Vikt by Slumberhouse

Basenotes Institution

So what does oppopnax smell like? I'm not familliar with it at all, besides knowing that it's in Pomegranate Noir, but that I don't know which not it is in that one either...

To Mike and everyone else - try it on a hot humid day - the summer heat and humidity have finally set in in Montreal, and I wore it today and it's getting a great reception, and it's lasting a good long while versus the usual 20 minutes...

I think you live in Florida Mike, if I remember, so maybe it's just not your thing. I'm surprised you don't get the cinnamon - the orange blossom and incense are all soaked in it. I think it's what gives it its powderiness.
    Smell Eau Lente by Diptyque - to me its ALL about opoponax. And Or Des Indes by MPG too.

Yes, Caesar, it was very hot the day I wore BdT. Maybe it was the cinnamon which gave it it's powderiness (since there are some powdery cinnamon scents I abhor). Good point.
    "Realize deeply that the present moment is all you will ever have."

-- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: Shalimar by Guerlain

Just wondering if anyone else has tried this and if so what your opinion of it is.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 8th January 2010 at 10:33 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

SOS, I'll be able to chime in in a few days, I've got it coming in from TPC soon.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

I have it and love it - I'll try to wear it over the weekend to give some better thought to it.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

My opinion?
    I find it a bit on the feminine side, but that didn't stop me to buy a bottle and occasionally wear it when going to the supermarket.
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Since this scent will soon be available again from Luckyscent (and is already available at Aedes des Venustas) I thought I'd bump this thread to bring some more attention to one of my top three scents.

I'm hoping more people check it out and offer their thoughts on it. Also, it's in the directory now for those who own it and want to add a review!

I should add that I've been wearing this for almost a year now and I love it more now than I did upon first discovering it. It never gets boring and never leaves me feeling self-conscious or wishing I'd have chosen something else as my SotD. That's quite the feat considering its been my most worn scent over the course of the last year.

Also, I've noticed that the more I wear it the more strongly I perceive it for longer. Have you noticed this too, Gaivs? I used to understand how others could think it fades in an hour or two but now I can easily detect it 8-10 hours or more.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 27th March 2010 at 04:28 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

That's great news that it's going to be available again in north america, even if it's just at two stores! Maybe things are picking up at MPG!

It's true that I think it lasts alot longer than people give it credit for, but I haven't noticed a difference in my perception of longevity since I first wore it. Maybe it has to do with the fact that the days are getting warmer? I must say that I don't love the drydown as much as the opening and heart, but I still like it alot, and on the whole it really is one of my favourites.

A friend of my was totally captivated by BdT after smelling it on me, and now she wears it every single day, and is almost on her second bottle.

I think the whole MPG men's line is brilliant, and BdT stands up with Jean LaPorte's work.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sa Majesté La Rose

Currently wearing: Vikt by Slumberhouse

I said it in the Today I sampled thread, and I'll say it again. As much as SOS, and I tend to agree on fragrances, I really can't stand this stuff. No joke, it smelled SO similar to the "New Car" smell Tree, car freshener.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

You need to try it again Mtg! You doubted my tastes w/ Reflection and now look who wants a bottle .

I guess I could see, possibly, where you may get that smell as there is a bit of a syrupy quality to the scent and the texture of the scent may come across similar to car air fresheners, but I find the distinct development to be decidedly un-air freshener like. Go and smell some fresh, dried bay leaves if you get a chance and you'll really see where the first half of the scent is coming from after the top notes fade away. On me I still don't get a ton of sandalwood in the base - not enough to consider it a sandalwood scent - but more cinnamon, incense, and a slightly chocolately patchouli which leaves the base smelling a tiny bit gourmandish. Luckily, by then, most of the sweetness is gone so it doesn't get into Le Male or A*Men territory.

This is also a scent that needs to be worn proper and is best when not sniffed nose-to-wrist. The sweetness that is there doesn't seem to project so far off the skin so close sniffing tends to distort what is actually smelled w/ a normal wearing.

Hopefully if you try it again you'll enjoy it a bit more. If it smelled like "New Car" smell to me, I wouldn't like it either!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I like this one - followed the thread last year and tried a sample from LS. Just found it and I've been wearing it today. I agree it's both meditative and bright at the same time. Soulful and cheerfull? Does that make sense? It's funny but I always associated this with the colour turquoise, even though the name alludes to Turkey . . . I know it's a favourite of yours SOS and we share an appreciation for Reflection, it occupies the same space in my particular way categorising scents, and I think as soon as Santal Noble becomes available again I'll spring for a bottle of BdT as well - coming back to it taoday after a few months has clinched it.

I had some problems with orange blossom/neroli notes for awhile. I may have been anosmic to a chemical as for a period of time I lost all track of the neroli in Reflection Man and there's quite a bit of it there, it's hard to miss. It was a strange case of chemical sensitivity.

I now get the orange blossom in the opening of this more clearly, although it is never as center stage as the neroli note in say, Pour Le Jeune Homme. The bay, cinnamon and ginger sit alongside it. The ginger smells like a high quality c02 extract. I say this because it smells more lemony than your typical ginger accord - a quality found in good c02 ginger extracts. Either they are using that or perhaps an unlisted lemon verbena note or something - I definitely get a lemony vibe in the opening, which then fades into being more orange/tangerine and neroli-ish.

Has anyone else tried this recently? It's available for sampling at Luckyscent if anyone is interested.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

interesting and well blended opposition between citrussy and flowery aromatic notes, with a deeper background of sandalwood and frankincense.

anyone else can see the similarity betwen this one and reflection man Amouage?
    Last edited by blackened; 7th February 2011 at 01:37 PM.
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

Quote Originally Posted by blackened View Post
    interesting and well blended opposition between citrussy and flowery aromatic notes, with a deeper background of sandalwood and frankincense.

anyone else can see the similarity betwen this one and reflection man Amouage?
    It's funny you ask that. I do see some similarities in them being sandalwoody florals with citrus elements, although I do find them quite different too. They are two of my favorite frags though - Reflection is #1 and BdT is #2 or #3.

What I really love about Bois de Turquie is that it is fairly quiet and less dense than so many other orientals that it becomes easily wearable in the heat. Heck, it's one of the easiest to wear, 'anytime' orientals I've ever come across.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Go and smell some fresh, dried bay leaves if you get a chance and you'll really see where the first half of the scent is coming from after the top notes fade away.
    I have wondered for so long what that smell was. so i grabbed a few bay leaves and now i know great tip !! what are the topnotes thought? for some reason i keep thinking of almonds and mint?

I've got 8ml of this coming from TPC, 1.5ml isn't enough for me to get to know a fragrance well. I'll chime in with my opinion after a few wears. The fact that SoS and Mr Reasonable like it intrigues me b/c I love some of their faves.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchy View Post
    I have wondered for so long what that smell was. so i grabbed a few bay leaves and now i know great tip !! what are the topnotes thought? for some reason i keep thinking of almonds and mint?
    I get a blast of iris in the beginning, which is both a bit almondy and minty in character, although to me it's more... hmm, doughy, slightly? Definitely the first note I notice, only briefly in isolation though, is the iris.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

First wear today. It feels like a "gentrified", and sanitized incense that has been applied by a light hand.

My favorite incense at the moment happens to be Bond No. 9: Silver Factory, and this will not replace it. That's unfair though because this is not designed to be an "incense frag". IMO this a very well blended modern oriental with accents of incense in the base.

I am suprised that BdT does not get more press here on Bnotes. Perhaps because you have to wear it a few times to really get to know and appreciate it. It is definately worhty of the MPG line. It is just more subtle that some of the other MPG scents I have tried and own.
    Five that I am enjoying right now

1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel

One of the best takes on orris-root.
    Great scent !! good iris smell , not powdery or harsh , but a fruity/almondy and slighty creamy iris, swayed by a breeze of orange blossom, very wearable indeed!!
    big thumbs up for MPG!!
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    I like this one - followed the thread last year and tried a sample from LS. Just found it and I've been wearing it today. I agree it's both meditative and bright at the same time. Soulful and cheerfull? Does that make sense? It's funny but I always associated this with the colour turquoise, even though the name alludes to Turkey . . . I know it's a favourite of yours SOS and we share an appreciation for Reflection, it occupies the same space in my particular way categorising scents, and I think as soon as Santal Noble becomes available again I'll spring for a bottle of BdT as well - coming back to it taoday after a few months has clinched it.
    Well the word turquoise means "turkish" so you still have nothing to lose hehe

Nice thread coming up again and again for a good reason!
    I have sampled it 3 or 4 times in the past two years. I like it. I share Gaivs' impression it reminds him of Chergui. It is a similar feel and nature, but executed differently. I get very good longevity, albeit (very) low sillage. Plenty of sweetness, but still doable for me! I also agree about the prominent myrrh in this. I have decided to get Or des Indes, because I adore opoponax and Or des Indes' transition from opaque L'Heure Bleue to metallic, almost leathery opoponax and finally to Shalimar opoponax galore. I will not get Bois de Turquie for now.

Interesting that this thread should pop up again, as I've finally found a scent that really called to mind Bois de Turquie - Amouage's Opus VI. Now, don't get me wrong - Opus VI is a lot different than BdT. It is drier, harsher, more medicinal, has way more incense and bay leaf, and is definitely louder. But they share a combination of bay + incense + sandalwood and some citrus and floral elements.

So for those who liked BdT, Opus VI is worth checking out (I know I know i keep mentioning Opus VI in so many threads, but it really is GOOD and while maybe not the most elaborate composition of the Opus series [that award goes to III or IV, imo], it is quite possibly the one I could see myself wearing the most often). For those who didn't like BdT because it was too quiet or unisex, VI is worth checking out as well.

For what it's worth I still love BdT - although I really only ever crave to wear it in the fall or, for reasons not entirely clear to me, on rainy days. Maybe it's the iris and patch that work together to fit the gloomier and melancholy mood that so often accompanies rainy days.