Code of Conduct

Default Summer frag ideas.... please! not aquatics/floral

I am looking for ideas fro a summer frag and am having a hard time. I seem to like incense, peppers, woods, musc.... but I also love the clean feeling of citrus, bergamot, grass/moss, licorice and lavender.

Am I looking for the impossible? I have no problem either with getting a typically Men's perfume either, if that is suggested.

Just to give you an idea this is my most used fragrances:
    • Black Cashmere
    • Donna Karan Wenge (my only sweet frag)
    • Narcisco Rodriguez For Her EDT
    • Cashmere Mist
    • Chaos
    • Armani Prive Bois d'Encens
    • YSL Nu
    • Armani Mania for Her 'Black Cap" the original version

As a splash after the bath 4711 (I know.... I know... but I just love the wake-up clean of it) I also have Clean Sweet Layer.

Fav room spray is the Old Gap Grass perfume.
    Last edited by HALEYLANE; 28th April 2009 at 08:57 PM.

Default Re: Summer frag ideas.... please! not aquatics/floral

For lavender, try Jicky.this is one of my favourite summer scents

Mmmm... Kenzo Jungle L'Elephant ticks a lot of the right boxes... it has citrus, spice, liquorice and much more....
    I love this scent!

For grass/moss, you could try Miller et Bertaux green, green, green and green -- very green, just like the name

Many on this board like Acqua di Parma for traditional colognes; the only floral one is Iris Nobile, the rest are pleasantly citrusy. You could sample in Neiman Marcus; they also have a 'sub-line' called Blue Mediterraneo with interesting scents. They all seemed light and summery to me.
    Last edited by kess; 28th April 2009 at 10:17 PM.

My favorite summer scent is Aqua Allegoria Laurier Reglisse. But it isn't spicy.

I'm thinking a number of L'Artisans might work for you, as interesting yet sheer/light enough for all but the hottest summer. Passage d'Enfer (sheer incense) and the frags from the spice coffret particularly stand out in my mind.

For lavender with a hint of licorice, I really like Caldey Island Lavender. Jicky is also a good suggestion, although it doesn't work with my chemistry.

Aqua Allegoria Herba Fresca is another nice "grassy" possibility, although there is the hint of wildflowers in it.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Have you tried Dior's Escale a Portofino. If you love citrus you will
    like this one I think.
    Also, give Bulgari Omnia a sniff - I love this one all year round.
    Roma is wonderful, if you can get hold of it, too.

What about DKNY Woman? Fresh citrus and peppery. One of my favorites for warm days.
    Also, at mentioned by others:
    Jicky
    Aqua Allegoria Herba Fresca
    Maybe BVL Black can work as a summerscent to
    Last edited by Guerlain-lover; 29th April 2009 at 11:46 AM.
    My blog about perfume
    (Norwegian language)

Shoot, Bulgari Black works any time!!!
    Just like Jicky! - one tip, for summer coolness, try Jicky in the edt.

And citrus? O de Lancome and Jasper Conran Woman are good
    Ivoire de Balmain for aldehydes - ooh, ooh and White Linen of course!

Have you considered Eaux de Cologne? There are some absolute beauties out there and it's a field that's worth exploration. All kinds of different slants are possible - just take a look at the Guerlain Eaux for a start!
    I've recently fallen for L'Eau Cheap and Chic from Moschino - it's fresh and saltyish and herbal - and cheap as chips from discounters.
    Salty oranges? Eau des Merveilles from Hermes.
    Ellena's Rose Leather in watercolour? Hermes Kelly Caleche.
    Lime and coconut? Well, go try the Coconut Lime and Verbena in B&BW if you want a cheapie, or Creed's delectable Virgin Island Water if you've just been paid.
    Another Ellena, so apologies if you don't like his style: Un Jardin en Mediteranee. A figtree in a sunbaked stony garden overlooking Cannes.
    Figs are good in summer - green and fresh. Quarry just gave a heads up that Thymes are discontinuing their fig fragrance, so look out for it for cheaps and give it a sniff to see if it lights your fire for figs in general.

Since you like anisic, what about Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin? That's quite fresh and nice for summer.
    And another masculine: Christian Laxcroix Tumulte pour Homme is a cedary-incense. Jolly nice.

Oh, oh, oh!!! And the one I've had to come back twice to remember to include on the list: Vetiver.
    I think that might give you the spicy twist you like in your winter perfumes. I like Guerlain Veriver (pour homme), but there are a massive number of vets on the market. Have an explore. They're often marketed as mens' fragrances, but ignore that (we don't let little things like gender labellings keep us away from a good smell!!!).
    Last edited by Wordbird; 29th April 2009 at 04:48 PM.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    Shoot, Bulgari Black works any time!!!
    Just like Jicky! - one tip, for summer coolness, try Jicky in the edt.

Another Ellena, so apologies if you don't like his style: Un Jardin en Mediteranee. A figtree in a sunbaked stony garden overlooking Cannes.

Since you like anisic, what about Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin? That's quite fresh and nice for summer.

Oh, oh, oh!!! And the one I've had to come back twice to remember to include on the list: Vetiver.
    I think that might give you the spicy twist you like in your winter perfumes. I like Guerlain Veriver (pour homme), but there are a massive number of vets on the market. Have an explore. They're often marketed as mens' fragrances, but ignore that (we don't let little things like gender labellings keep us away from a good smell!!!).
    interesting..... Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin... I was told I may like Sander for Men too.

okay... I need to get a sampl of Jicky and Black. I keep reading all these raves about them and need to get in on the action.
    Un Jardin en Mediteranee in nixed. I tried it and 2 people asked me if I was wearing Body Shop Dewberry. Not exactly the look I was going for. LOL

I actually loooooove Guerlain Vetiver and keep trying to get my hubyy to wear it. Maybe I need to get a bottle for myself.

getting my little list ready for decants!

Banned

I just got a citrus fragrance that blows me away - it's citrus but not aquatic, and the strength and longevity of the lemon/bergamot/verbena opening is unreal. Yes, it's pricey, but for something I'd gladly wear daily throughout the summer it was worth it - Guerlain Philtre d'Amour. Get yourself a sample and see if you don't also find it to be one of the most refreshing citrus fragrances you've ever tried.

If you like licorice, drop by a L'Occitane store (if there's one near you) and try out Eau de Badian. It has a great star anise note in it, very warm and spicy. The only downside I can think of is that it only lasts 3-4 hours (on me). Your mileage may vary.
    - E.J.

Blog Entries

I prefer Une Jardin Sur Nil over Mediteranee. If you like pepper, you might try it. It has a green, lotus note that is lovely & fresh.

Haleylane, have you tried Costes? It is a light peppery cologne-type fragrance.

Hermessence Poivre Samarcande (Hermes) ~ Dry, close wearing
    Feminite du Bois ~ lightly fruited wood
    KenzoAmour ~ powdery soft vanilla (not foody) beachy
    Bond No.9 Brooklyn ~ light citrusy, leathery