Code of Conduct

Default What the stylish 18th Century Scot wore

This is from a 1789 Edinburgh newspaper. My, they were stylish!
    1779 Edinburgh
    W. Raeburn, Ladies hair-dresser and Perfumer has just now for sale, newly imported from the best foreign markets, the greatest and best assortment of PERFUMERY ARTICLES, all of which may be depended on to be genuine. Amongst the variety (contained in the hand bills to be had as above) are the following Perfumery, and other articles:
    PERFUMES – Musk, Civet Ambergrease, &c
    HAIR-POWDER – Violet, Rose, Bergamont, Musk, Marechale Grey, Brown, Pink, Orise, Best Poland and Common
    POMATUMS – Pomade a la Duchesse, Orange, Lemon, Jessamin, Rose, Mille Fleurs, Oillet, Bargamot, Cedre, Dauphine, Tuberuse, Rose & Common; Bouquet, Sultanne a la Reine, a la Vanille &c
    OILS – Rhodium, Jessamin, Almond, Cloves, &c
    ESSENCES – Jessamin, Violet, Bergamot, Lavender, genuine Peppermint, Lemon, Thyme, Musk, Orange, &c.
    PERFUMED WATER – Lavender, Hungary, Honey, Marechalle, Tuberuse, Violet, Sans Pareille, Jessamin, Bouquet, with all the others.
    SYRUPS – De Capillaire, De Orgeat, &c.
    WASH BALLS – Queens’ Royal Oiet, Amber, Grecian, Napes, Cream, Camphire, Chymical, Spermacetti, &c.
    SOAPS – Naples, Windsor, Castille, Marbled, Venice, Liquid, Davidson’s Italian and Bath, Bailey’s Improved Soap for Boxes, &c.
    Don a wig of larks and fly!

Default Re: What the stylish 18th Century Scot wore

Quote Originally Posted by Merbert View Post
    WASH BALLS – Queens’ Royal Oiet, Amber, Grecian, Napes, Cream, Camphire, Chymical, Spermacetti, &c.
    I'm wondering what wash balls are. Googling didn't help much but I guess they're a compound of chemicals used like face paint. I came across an article that had this to say of women in the 1700s:

The face was treated with wash-balls compounded of white lead, rice, and flour, with washes of quicksilver boiled in water, and with bismuth. This mattered less, perhaps, because women expected to look old in the early thirties.

I'd love to rub lead and mercury all over my face!

I wonder if in the future people will look back at us and laugh at all the chemicals in our fragrances...
    Last edited by PorkFat; 29th April 2009 at 05:23 AM.

Wash Balls or Washing Balls were small balls of which consisted of various herbs and other igredients pounded into a paste with just enough soap used to stiffen them, and were in common use until early in the eighteenth century when soap itself was introduced as a more convenient substitute.

Here's a cry from London:" Buy fine washing-balls, buy a ball,
    Cheaper and dearer, greater and small ; For scouring none do them excel.
    Their odour scenteth passing well ; Come buy rare balls, and trial make,
    Spots out of clothes they quickly take."
    Don a wig of larks and fly!

Aaaah - so it is genetic thing, my guess would be great great great grandfather on my mother's side.

Quote Originally Posted by Merbert View Post
    1779 Edinburgh
    W. Raeburn, Ladies hair-dresser and Perfumer has just now for sale, newly imported from the best foreign markets, the greatest and best assortment of PERFUMERY ARTICLES, all of which may be depended on to be genuine. Amongst the variety (contained in the hand bills to be had as above) are the following Perfumery, and other articles:
    PERFUMES – Musk, Civet Ambergrease, &c
    HAIR-POWDER – Violet, Rose, Bergamont, Musk, Marechale Grey, Brown, Pink, Orise, Best Poland and Common....
    You almost had me fooled. But this is interesting information nevertheless!
    Now, what's been offered at barbershops in those days, please?
    Creads Royal Scottish Leather ?
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Aaaah - so it is genetic thing, my guess would be great great great grandfather on my mother's side.
    Are you sure it wasn't your great great great grandmother ?
    Last edited by narcus; 1st May 2009 at 10:48 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.