Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: What size?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • 50ml (smaller)

54 57.45%
  • 100ml (bigger)

40 42.55%

Default Bottle size - what's your preference?

So let's say you're going to buy a frag, and there's a 50ml size and a 100ml size. As is typically par for the course, the 100ml comes at a 50% premium. (IE the 50ml costs 50 dollars, the 100ml costs 75) Which one do you spring for?

Personally, I used to buy the bigger size, always. But now I'm starting to rethink my ways. After all, when am I actually going to go through ALL those bottles! If I wear my bottles on an equal rotation (5 sprays a day = roughly 125 wearings), it'll take me 17 years to see the bottom of the 50ml bottle. Double that for the 100ml! And, in 17 years, I'm sure my collection will be a lot bigger. So, now, I find myself springing to the smaller size more and more often. 50ml is basically a lifetime at this point!
    Last edited by Royal; 30th April 2009 at 03:14 AM.

Default Re: Bottle size - what's your preference?

I keep 8 bottles or less, so I tend to go the bigger size.

Banned

Although it's nice to have larger sizes for trading the extra perfume or giving it away to friends, I'll generally always go for a smaller bottle if it's an option. I have enough fragrance to last everyone in my family three lifetimes and spending the extra (even at a discount) just doesn't make sense. I hate when a house only releases in large sizes, like the Chanel Exclusifs, though if/when I buy a jug of No.22 or Bois des Iles I fully intend to use at a body spray.

it depends
    If I REALLY like a frag ill go for the larger
    if its a very heavy or formal frag then 50ml might be better size
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Honestly, 30 ml is the best for me
    Don't Smell the Flowers,
    They're an Evil Drug to Make You Lose Your Mind --- Dio

30-50ml here, whenever possible.

100ml for my favorites, 50ml for the rest...

I ALWAYS go with the bigger bottle.

The 50mls look kind of dinky in comparison.

I don't like that GFT only comes in 50ml.

The Serge Lutens bottles, on the other hand, I can understand. It's good that they're tall. But they're so strong, that seems like plenty.

The bigger size is almost always a better deal too. When I buy a fragrance, I want the absolute rock bottom price per ml, AND I've convinced myself that I'm going to want that frag for a long time, so the larger quantity is not only justified, but a better deal as well.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

100 mill, best value.

Quote Originally Posted by cmax View Post
    100 mill, best value.
    not when you never finish it ;D
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

Since I started buying perfume about a year ago I have only finish one bottle and have 20 bottles now...so I really try to get 50ml unless it is something i really love
    Last edited by denec; 30th April 2009 at 04:55 AM.

Almost always I tend to buy bigger bottles. The only exception is when I can spot a smaller bottle at roughly the same price per ml as in case with the bigger bottle.

It does make more sense buying smaller 50ml bottles, particularly if you have an expansive wardrobe. However if you are going to bequeath your collection let the benefactor also enjoy the larger quantity in bigger bottles

I'm in agreement with the 30ml fans. I'll never use 100mls of anything.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    100ml for my favorites, 50ml for the rest...
    Same here!

I always go with the larger bottle, no exceptions

I like buying smaller (50 ml) bottles first. If I get through that, And I still really enjoy the scent, I might buy the bigger version next time.

I am 100% behind 100ml.

Unless the frag that doesn't come in this size. 200ml may be a bit too much though. lol.

100 ml if it's something I already like and am wearing regularly. I wish more were available in mini sizes. Oh well.

Sur la Plage

The bigger, the better.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I voted 100ml because they're nearly always a better deal. That said, my ideal size bottle is 30ml - with free refills.

For the few favourites, I try to go 100ml for the off-chance that it gets reformulated down the road into something watery and terrible. For the rest, 50ml and preferably 30ml.

Ideally after starting my collection I realize I should have just gone with 50ml everything. Holy crap I'll never use all this juice.

the 50ml. for me.. got a few 75.. and 60 aswell.. but like 100+ is a bit too much when I get more bottles.
    unico grande amore.

Bigger than 100 ml would work fine for me!
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 30th April 2009 at 09:37 AM.

I tend to buy 50mls because I have a large collection and they'll go off before I use them. I'll even buy 30mls or less because they'll still last me ages.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Same as most above - 100ml for real favourites and 50 ml for others. I think TDC / Malle and one or two others who do the 3 x 10 ml Travel Pack with a Bottle 'protector' are smart - great for short trips away.

I usually try to go for the smallest size available (and if a scent's only available in one size, that will have to do). There are only a couple I own where I didn't apply this line of thinking more for logical reasons (i.e. Vetiver Extraordinaire prices for 2006/7: 50ml - £70, 100ml - £100).
    Last edited by Trebor; 30th April 2009 at 11:52 AM.

75ml (2.5oz) is just right, though it isn't very common.

Quote Originally Posted by frug View Post
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by frug View Post
    Don't worry about 'not very common': what used to be 125 ml became 100 ml next, and we expect the 100 to fit into 75 ml bottles next. And the best of it all: prices will remain stable!
    Last edited by narcus; 30th April 2009 at 08:12 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

50 ml or smaller usually. I don't use any one of my scents too often.

Quote Originally Posted by Hasupk@gmail.com View Post
    it depends
    If I REALLY like a frag ill go for the larger
    if its a very heavy or formal frag then 50ml might be better size
    same here if i really like the frag I have used it and wanted to get larger bottle I wouldn't might
    I like having 30ml which it enough for me i have own few 100ml from gifts and I got 75ml few plus i got armani code bottle size 75ml I like having 30ml or 50ml, no matter but the matter is the fragrance you really love about.

Banned

100ml for all available fragrance (or largest below 100ml available) - And for fragrances that are discontinued I go for the largest I can get.

Most the fragrances I have are in 100ml or 125ml, only CK one is 200ml and Escada Magnetism which I like but don't think I'll use much of it is in a couple of vials.

Sometimes I want to purchase a smaller bottle but look at the price difference then I always decide to go full force. I think it's a waste of money to buy 50ml then go buy another 50ml and pay half the price for the packaging the next time. It's just me though because I only have 9 fragrances in may collection so far so it doesn't cost me much time to finish them all up and I'm pretty picky with fragrances too so I don't think the number will increase much in the future

I generally go for the 100ml or bigger bottles but I have only been serious about collecting for a half year now. In the past, I used to have a couple of bottles and would finish them off before buying a new one so it made sense to have the larger bottles. Seeing as my collection has grown a bit, I've been rethinking that stance. Most likely, I'll probably end up buying 100mls for my must haves and 50mls for the new ones in the future.
    "Health food may be good for the conscience but Oreos taste a hell of a lot better" - Robert Redford

If a little is good, more is better.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I tend to go for the larger bottles myself. I have a smaller collection than many people on here, so that could be part of the reason. I love the way the larger bottles look and feel. I just received a 200ml bottle of Infusion d’Homme, and I love it. I enjoy the hefty weight in my hand and knowing that I can spray away and not have to worry about running out anytime soon. Chanel’s Sycomore (another 200ml) is also on my wishlist.

I’ve also been seriously lusting after a 250ml bottle of Sel de Vetiver. The other night I was reading about the creation of the bottle by Thierry de Baschmakoff in Burr’s The Perfect Scent. Now I want one even more! Their 90ml bottles just don’t look right to me.

Quote Originally Posted by jwpianoboe View Post
    I tend to go for the larger bottles myself. I have a smaller collection than many people on here, so that could be part of the reason. I love the way the larger bottles look and feel. I just received a 200ml bottle of Infusion d’Homme, and I love it. I enjoy the hefty weight in my hand and knowing that I can spray away and not have to worry about running out anytime soon. Chanel’s Sycomore (another 200ml) is also on my wishlist.
    That's funny because what spurred this topic was me buying a bottle of Infusion d'Homme last night. I also had the choice between the 50, 100, and 200mls. I ended up walking out with the 50ml. When am I going to use all that juice otherwise?

Unless it's a fragrance that I know will ALWAYS be in my collection, I like smaller bottles.

I get tired of a fragrance before I use the entire bottle, even some of my highly rated ones.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

Quote Originally Posted by Royal View Post
    That's funny because what spurred this topic was me buying a bottle of Infusion d'Homme last night. I also had the choice between the 50, 100, and 200mls. I ended up walking out with the 50ml. When am I going to use all that juice otherwise?
    Well, I'm certainly going to try.

When purchasing new fragrances or blind buys I prefer 30ml if available. If not, I will get the 50ml. When purchasing second bottles I will get the 125 if available since I know it will be used. Also go for the larger sizes of "lighter" frags like Mugler Cologne since the application is more liberal.

As an aside, do any of you have problems with the spray mechanisms on the 30ml size?

when i was new in a world of fragrance i've always choose 100 ml. but it was a mistake.
    30-50 ml is a better choice coz:
    - when bored of some scent you have less to use
    - smaller bottles looks better in wardrobe.

only exeption is very well verify scent - my No 1. it's terre d'hermes. i use it almost every day - to work and school.
    sometimes i have to control myself. i wanna buy bigger (100 ml) bottle but i force myself to buy 30-50 ml.and in 99,9% case it's good choice