Code of Conduct

Default Chanel Fragrance and Aftermarket Sellers

I have noticed that for some reason, websites like fragrancex and fragrancenet never seem to have Chanel frags in stock, and when they do, they have ridiculous asking prices around 120 dollars for a 50ml bottle, around double of department store pricing. This doesn't happen for big names like Dior and Yves Saint Laurent, so what gives with Chanel?

On a side note, does anyone know where to get discounted legit Chanel frags? They happen to make some of my favorites...

Basenotes Junkie

Default Re: Chanel Fragrance and Aftermarket Sellers

best off just getting them retail at sephora or macys because your not going to find them cheap anyways

Quote Originally Posted by Vince23heat View Post
    Best off just getting them retail at Sephora or Macys because your not going to find them cheap anyways
    Agree

I don't have a problem paying retail for what I really like. I don't quite understand why some people do. But if you insist, you can get pretty decent deals at online decanters.

I strongly advise steering clear of eBay for Chanel fragrances like Bleu and #5. We completed a story several weeks ago that did blind buys of these from eBay sellers and every bottle we received was counterfeit. Every. Last. One.

We're not talking gray market or offshore either. The packaging looked real enough, but the bottles gave the story away even before spraying them. When it comes to Chanel, unless you are buying a decant or a partially used bottle, the chances of getting ripped off on a "sealed new" bottle are extremely high.

The reason is simple: Chanel controls its inventory to the point of obsession. There are just too few channels resellers can tap into to get legitimate stock, so China's counterfeit machine fills that gap.

yeah, just type in bleu de chanel into the ebay search and see the number of items there are available.

the midwest: where cows have been outnumbering people since 1817

Quote Originally Posted by dampier View Post
    I strongly advise steering clear of eBay for Chanel fragrances like Bleu and #5. We completed a story several weeks ago that did blind buys of these from eBay sellers and every bottle we received was counterfeit. Every. Last. One.
    WHOA, that is insanity. Could someone point me in the direction of that story?

Have you tried Strawberrynet? I have ordered a few from them and they seem to be legit.

Have you tried calling Strawberrynet? I did, once, years ago. Someone Asian answered the phone and pretty much ended the call when I started asking questions. If you're going to buy Chanel, buy the guaranteed, genuine product fresh from a boutique. Or, if you don't want the hard-to-find pure parfum or Les Exclusifs, buy from a department store in your town. You know that Chanel doesn't sell to middlemen. You know that. So why mess with those shady deals?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by meowmo View Post
    WHOA, that is insanity. Could someone point me in the direction of that story?
    Totally. Sounds like a great story, and I don't want to miss it.

the midwest: where cows have been outnumbering people since 1817

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    You know that Chanel doesn't sell to middlemen. You know that. So why mess with those shady deals?
    Girl, cause I'm from the midwest which means I'm frugal to the BONE. You should know that, Nebraska!

Just kidding, you definitley have a point.

So what's the deal with this Strawberrynet? Are you saying they're not reputable?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by meowmo View Post
    So what's the deal with this Strawberrynet? Are you saying they're not reputable?
    They're reputable gray market with some past taint of possible "dark gray" market on cosmetics.

The details: people are buying things "out of market" now from Strawberry.net (meaning, e.g., they're sold in Europe but not in America) and the buyers are very confident that they're getting the genuine article. These are things which are not normally available in the buyer's market, and were sold off in a back room deal, in violation of a contract with, e.g., Chanel. Hence the term "gray market". You are not buying from an authorized dealer, and if it IS a fake, you generally have little recourse. However, the noses on BN are calling these things real. If you research the web, you will find that complaints against Strawberry.net are generally several years old, and typically involve skin cosmetics, which people felt were either bad, old, fake, or adulterated, take your pick. But in Strawberrynet's defense, there are no claims of fake fragrance - at least, I couldn't find any. And I didn't see any recent claims, last time I checked.

I'm not surprised that purplebird got "dial-toned" when she started asking questions. American law enforcement has a reputation for getting around these days.

Now - the legit fragrances could just be "gray market", but they could also be "black market", as in stolen. That is not to say that Strawberrynet or any discounter with Chanel is knowingly peddling hot goods. That can happen way up the food chain. But Chanel fragrances are - like many things - highly desirable for hijacking, in which case you can have "real" and "black market", even if the reseller thinks it's only "gray market".

The bottom line is that fragrance is a racket from the git-go, and other people want in on the sweet deal. Even we, the buyers! Personally, I just buy the goods from authorized dealers for the commonly faked stuff. I have bought a couple of fakes in the past, and they're annoying in their slipshod quality.