Code of Conduct

Default Barbershop experiance without going to the barbershop

I was wondering what steps would you take to have a complete barbershop scent based day. I mean what soap/bodywash, pre-shave products, shaving soap/cream/gel, post shave products, deodorant, and SCENT OF THE DAY? What steps would you take for a full barbershop based routine?

Default Re: Barbershop experiance without going to the barbershop

I suppose there are a number a routes to take, but I just picked up some Jockey Club from Caswell Massey. I think it's the closest to a barbershop scent experience - and I use the talc, etc. They have a full line of products that could fit the bill. www.caswellmassey.com

Tabac Original is an inexpensive alternative to many niche barbershop products/barbershop style scents and offers the advantage of offering a full range of cosmetic products bearing this scent.

Habit Rouge's powder makes me think of barbershop a bit. I don't know about the other stuff, but I'm sure I'd wear Guerlain.

Well if Im on a day off and I feel like giving myself such a treat I usually shower using Molton Brown Black Pepper Body wash then use a facewash to prep my face for shaving.

Then I fill the sink with really hot water and soak my face then I use my Taylors of Old Bond Street shave cream, badger brush and bowl and mix up a nice warm lather. I then wet my face with the water again before applying the lather.

Once the lather is fully applied a wait 30 seconds to a minute to let my skin relax (p.s. the badger brush is a great way to almost "massage" the face)

I have my shave, taking my time and not rushing it.

I rinse my face with warm water then dry with a fresh clean towel.

I give the sink a rinse then fill it partially with cold water which I use along with an Alum Block (TOBS) to help soothe my skin and close the pores. Again I dry my face and apply a soothing post shave lotion (currently Zirh soothe) then I will apply whatever deodorant I have and apply a barbershop related cologne. Usually I get a craving for Bay Rum after a shave.

Be wary to apply lightly or else you will get a stingy face which could spoil the whole experience.

Sheesh.... I need to get a life.

All I can think of when I hear barbar shop is Rive Guache
    strong after shavy smell
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Try an aftershave by Proraso. You'll think you were shaved by Figaro himself. Once the aftershave wears off, hit yourself with something like Blenheim Bouquet.
    - E.J.

I have to chime in and say Pinaud Clubman. While it is an aftershave, the scent lasts for a really really long time. It pairs nicely with Penhaligon's Raquets.

Another aftershave/cologne is Alt Innsbruck.. That has a nice tobacco scent

Quote Originally Posted by Andyjreid View Post
    Well if Im on a day off and I feel like giving myself such a treat I usually shower using Molton Brown Black Pepper Body wash then use a facewash to prep my face for shaving.

Then I fill the sink with really hot water and soak my face then I use my Taylors of Old Bond Street shave cream, badger brush and bowl and mix up a nice warm lather. I then wet my face with the water again before applying the lather.

Once the lather is fully applied a wait 30 seconds to a minute to let my skin relax (p.s. the badger brush is a great way to almost "massage" the face)

I have my shave, taking my time and not rushing it.

I rinse my face with warm water then dry with a fresh clean towel.

I give the sink a rinse then fill it partially with cold water which I use along with an Alum Block (TOBS) to help soothe my skin and close the pores. Again I dry my face and apply a soothing post shave lotion (currently Zirh soothe) then I will apply whatever deodorant I have and apply a barbershop related cologne. Usually I get a craving for Bay Rum after a shave.

Be wary to apply lightly or else you will get a stingy face which could spoil the whole experience.

Sheesh.... I need to get a life.
    Lmao. Then I do, too, cuz i spent several minutes reading this and reliving every single detail. I was on the edge of my seat, brother!

Prada Amber aka Prada Man....it is very barbershop.

A shower with Blenheim shower gel,

A straight or DE razor shave, with a badger brush and cream scuttle,

Cream: Trumper's Rose
    Aftershave: Nivea balm

Haircut

A light pomade or fixative from American Crew (but my Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Shaping Cream smells AWESOME)

And finish with either Blenheim or Douro.

Hey, I just realized I have my own barber shop in my bathroom! Well, minus the barber.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post
    A shower with Blenheim shower gel,

Hey, I just realized I have my own barber shop in my bathroom! Well, minus the barber.
    Same here.

Mine would be much like yours, but Claus Porto Vetiver soap for the shower. Trumper's coconut followed by Aqua Velva.

Hair gets Pashana's Bay Rum tonic

Cologne of choice in this case (the AV burns off after 10 minutes for me) would be something like Dunhill 1934.

(Holy cow, I had a small vial sample of Dunhill - just got a bottle in the mail today and the difference coming out of a spray! Wow. Love this stuff.)
    - E.J.

Get thee, kind sir, to The Art of Shaving shop. I visited one yesterday and was captivated by the beautiful badger brushes, razors, soaps, and a most delightful Lemon Eau de Toilette which is made from natural ingredients. The soft, clean lemon is never harsh or bitter, and the drydown brings in creaminess and even a touch of moss.

Equally delightful was their Sandal products. I wasn't too taken by their lavender line.
    Don a wig of larks and fly!

AoS's sandalwood aftershave balm is absolutely amazing. I love it. (Was given it as a gift from a very cute girl.)

The scent isn't what I think of for an old-school barbershop, though. But it's definitely my favorite aftershave.

Close second: Musgo Real.
    - E.J.

Quote Originally Posted by Hasupk@gmail.com View Post
    All I can think of when I hear barbar shop is Rive Guache
    strong after shavy smell
    Agree with you

first thing I think of is Rive Gauche
    In fact I am wearing it right now

A little bump!
    I have an obsession with shaving. Though I only shave 3 times a week I take my time on Sundays and give myself a proper shave. Thanks to my experience at The Art of Shaving 5 years ago, I try to make this a weekly routine. When I went for my shave the barber used Lavender. At the time I was not a big fan and since then have used the other creams available. Over the last year or so I have become fond of Lavender.

Shower: face wash with AOS Peppermint soap or Lavender Scrub. I only use the scrub 2X a week. Turn the water up hot at the end and use a small towel to warm my face
    Post Shower: Prep face with Lavender pre shave oil. I alternate between, Lemon, Sandalwood and Lavender depending on the season and what I have available.
    Apply Jack Black shave cream (currently, wanted to give them a try) with a badger brush. Fill the sink with hot water. Proceed to shave with my nickel plated AOS razor (Mach 5 blade) I recieved for xmas 2 years ago.
    Rinse with cold water and pat dry while applying a styptic pen to my cut areas. On sundays, I apply a clay mask for 15 minutes to clear/soften the skin. Afterwards, I apply whichever post shave moisturizer I have and spray with a frag to accompany the shave. Currently is Prada Amber, but I will be adding Rochas Man to the mix becuase my Prada is almost empty. I am also interested in purchasing a sent from some Barber shops aswell as Rive Gouche.

* I am always looking for different types of shaving creams/ post shaves etc. I have used most brands out there and am preferential to AOS and Jack Black. With Truefitt & Hill in my town I may give them a shot next for my Barbershop shave experience.

Ditto Pinaud Clubman.
    They have everything from after shave to talc to deo to shaving cream to shampoo.....
    You get the idea.

Scent - 1725 by Histoires de Parfums
    Just old school lavender-heliotropin plus some star anise and cardamom

Vetiver The Great!!!

Floid
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.