Code of Conduct

Default 80's Powerhouse Male Fragrances

I've heard that term used very frequently here on BN, and I'm not sure what it really means.

So far I've gathered that it includes:

* Chanel Antaeus
    * Yves Saint Laurent Kouros
    * Givenchy Xeryus?

What does it mean? How do all of these fragrances "come together"?
    Last edited by pLaTypu5; 30th April 2009 at 10:32 PM.

Default Re: 80's Powerhouse Male Fragrances

I'm new as well, but from what I gather they are powerful scents (monster sillage and longevity) with darker notes. Also included in this list would be Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui and Azzaro Pour Homme. Someone correct me if Im wrong

I'm also new, but I think what Stevo said is right... they all project and last forever, and have an aggressive and distinctly masculine feel to them - as opposed to the more androgynous 90s scents like JPG Le Male and A*Men.

Drakkar Noir and the original Polo would probably be included as well. I think a lot of these scents have earthy notes like oakmoss and leather in common. Hopefully someone who's more knowledgeable can give a better explanation.

Banned

During the late 70s/early 80s masculine fragrances had a tendency to be strong with huge sillage. There were a lot of herbal/spicy/woody accords (think Drakkar) and many fougeres (think Polo). Therefore the term '80s powerhouse' as I've seen it used tends to refer to those uber-masculine, high sillage fragrances that characterized that time period. I'm not sure if I'd but Xeryus in that world, but I'd most definitely agree with the others mentioned thus far.

Polo was a big one, plus some others that come to mind are Dior Jules, Rochas Maccasar, and Drakkar Noir. Some have withstood the test of time and are still damn good....others have not (and those are generally the ones that have been discontinued). Even though they were first introduced before this time period, fragrances like Aramis and Lancome Balafre that have the uber-masculine characteristics are described as being in the '80s powerhouse style'.

Even masculines from the 80s that weren't as strong as some of the ones I mentioned still had a tendency to be fairly bold, at least by today's standards. Hermes Bel Ami and Guerlain Derby aren't what I'd call '80s powerhouses' but they are much more manly then what the same houses are releasing as masculines today!

Kouros has got to be in there
    also Maxims
    And Patou PH
    not to mention other ones like
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Cool Re: 80's Powerhouse Male Fragrances

Quote Originally Posted by pLaTypu5 View Post
    I've heard that term used very frequently here on BN, and I'm not sure what it really means.

So far I've gathered that it includes:

* Chanel Antaeus
    * Yves Saint Laurent Kouros
    * Givenchy Xeryus?

What does it mean? How do all of these fragrances "come together"?
    Hi platypus!

I'm not sure about Givenchy Xeryus having only sampled Xeryus Rouge, but Kouros and Antaeus fit the bill.
    I don't like the former and I'm a fan of the latter, so I can see how a newbie would have difficulty wondering how they 'come together' and what the hell we're talking about.

Here's the deal: Fashion in fragrance changes often and sometimes for the sake of simplicity we label the trend by the decade involved.

Luca Turin (Who? Well known critic. Almost godlike status among some. He recently wrote a book )
    referred to the 1990's --I hope I'm quoting him more or less correctly when he said something to the effect of :

" To those raised on the anoerexic androgynous acquas of the '90's--"

In other words, the 1990's was Acqua di Gio time and it sprouted thousands of clones. Everything seemed to be an 'acqua." It was the trend, the way the money flowed. In addition, there started the 'unisex' trend as well in marketing. Sure there had been acquas and fragrances which were gender ambivalent ( some claim all frags are genderless, but that's another story) for a while but in the 1990's it became hip, slick and cool. This is where the public went, where the frag houses made their money.

Now the 1980's were a completely different story. Oakmoss ruled. Men's fragrances were macho time and very much 'in your face' e.g;

Drakkar Noir, Bel Ami, Bijan,Carlo Corinto, Francesco Smalto, Jacomo de Jacomo, Macassar, The Third Man, Patou PH, Quorum, Salvador Dali PH, Santos, Versailles PH, Zino, etc.

It was as if the fragrance houses asked themselves two questions:

1. What would Tarzan wear? (007 would be too civilized )
    2. What is strong enough to kill a bloodhound at 100 feet?

These became the legendary " Powerhouse scents of the 80's " Some are masterpieces, others are stink bombs. It all depends on who you ask.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

It's all of that. They were STRONG in longevity, sillage, and scent. The term "80's Powerhouse" also references the the word "Power" which is socio-anthropologically associated with 80s in general. The most commonly recognized usage is the "power tie". If you had a presentation to give or needed to impress in business, you would were a bright (usually red) tie to psychologically assert your power and confidence. Basically the 80s are considered a time of capitalist strength when one did whatever they could to get ahead financially and therefore achieve "power". The movie "Wall Street" is a perfect example/commentary of this concept in American culture. In the same way the power tie conveyed confidence, wealth and masculinity, the 80's powerhouse frags were distinctive, aggressive status symbols.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Not forgetting Leonard pour Homme (orginal). One of the best from the period. Also, Lauder for Men!!!

Kouros
    Halston z-14 (a favorite of mine)
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
    -Albert Einstein

The 80's powerhouse fragrance are not complex as the scents on the men's market today. Most or all of the early 80's scent were woody fourge type scent with the ingredients of Lavender, Tobacco, Oakmoss.

Only a few are worthy to recommend while most are just copies of each other -

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    The 80's powerhouse fragrance are not complex as the scents on the men's market today. Most or all of the early 80's scent were woody fourge type scent with the ingredients of Lavender, Tobacco, Oakmoss.

LMAO. Yea....today's synthetic aqua wonders are destined to be held in high regard.

I'd have expected a much better answer from you than that. Damn disappointed bro.

This thread got me to thinking...

Carlo Corinto Vetyver and Azzaro Pour Homme smell remarkably similar. Azzaro is a bit more, I don't know, Magnum, P.I. to me. Carlo Corinto is fantastic, though. Just subdued enough to be workable on an everyday basis.
    - E.J.

Lavender and oakmoss monsters, but a bunch of other notes too, usually something noticeably floral in the mid notes (other than lavender) and a base that's at least a little sweet (amber and/or tonka). There could be wood, heavy spices, ambergris, herbs, tobacco, etc., but usually the focus was on smoothness, though as has been said, they tend to give off a lot more sillage than more recent frags. Many of today's frags have more of a focus on a small number of notes, with less blending (though there are some that are super-blended, like Casran, at least to me).
    Last edited by Bigsly; 1st May 2009 at 03:09 AM.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    Sorry, not correct.

pLaTypu5, do a BaseNotes search of frags released 1980-89 and be prepared for the number and variety of scents you will get.

I used a lot of the 80's Powerhouses in the 80's, and still buy and use them today.

80's Powerhouses were as creative then as the modern ones are thought of as creative today. Please do not be deceived by "experts" into thinking that the 80's frags are inferior in any way. Yes, they are unapologetic, sillage-wise. But that is what they are, and people have free choices.

One word for 80's PHs: Swagger!
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    Sorry, not correct.

pLaTypu5, do a BaseNotes search of frags released 1980-89 and be prepared for the number and variety of scents you will get.

I used a lot of the 80's Powerhouses in the 80's, and still buy and use them today.

80's Powerhouses were as creative then as the modern ones are thought of as creative today. Please do not be deceived by "experts" into thinking that the 80's frags are inferior in any way. Yes, they are unapologetic, sillage-wise. But that is what they are, and people have free choices.

I couldn't agree more!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    Sorry, not correct.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I couldn't agree more!
    I am an 80's powerhouse guy too, except that I don't swagger.

Last edited by TwoRoads; 1st May 2009 at 12:43 PM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Released in 1976 but Yatagan (Caron) could be counted in there - possibly a bit ahead of it's time with the full frontal 'swagger' thing. I recently picked up a 'vintage' circa early 80s bottle tucked away in an old shop here - wonderful stuff!
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 1st May 2009 at 12:54 PM.

AromiErotici

There's mucho 80's type power frags that are not only very good, but very different one from another.

Yes.....Yatagan fits the bill nicely.

Let's not forget Calvin - the original one in the blue/black flacon. I still wear this one pretty often.

Doesn´t Bogart's One Man Show deserve to be included in this select club?

From 80s powerhouse, I would warmly recommend:

Versace L'Homme
    Van Cleef & Arpels pour homme
    Trussardi Uomo

I'd agree that Xeryus has the longevity to match the powerhouses, but not the aggressive sillage/projection.

One Man Show and Quorum, on the other hand, can pack a punch with the best of them.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by canislupusravus View Post
    Doesn´t Bogart's One Man Show deserve to be included in this select club?
    Lets just say that when OMS enters the saloon, everyone goes silent. Kouros, Oscar de la Renta pour Lui and company literally shrink and try to disappear as silently as possible

OMS is the powerhouse's powerhouse.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Hey canislupusravus, when Powerhouses smell One Man Show they say, "damn, that's a Powerhouse"

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    From 80s powerhouse, I would warmly recommend:

Versace L'Homme
    Van Cleef & Arpels pour homme
    Trussardi Uomo
    L'Homme and VC&A are fantastic. Sillage, powerful scent, distinctive, manly. L'Homme highly underrated. One of my top scents, and though it's a powerhouse, I think it works really well now.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Would Diors Fahrenheit be considdered
    an 80 powerhouse scent, then?!

Old spice, BRUT and Blue Stratos come to mind......

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    Would Diors Fahrenheit be considdered
    an 80 powerhouse scent, then?!
    Not strong enough IMO

One Man Show isn't that strong to me, but instead it has a root-beer like note that I don't like up top. After a while, that fades but it never disappears completely. It's a great frag if you like it, because it's so cheap and there's nothing really "wrong" with it. If you find it too strong, just mist the air in front of you and walk through it. I feel that it's not nearly as strong as some think, but instead the note combination is not common. If OMS was an 80s powerhouse with strong lavender, then I think it would be received better, because it seems that for most guys, the lavender makes the frag more "civilized," whereas for me, strong lavender is really just nauseating.

PawelL

Giorgio Beverly Hills Giorgio For Men

Come on, 30 replies in and no mention of CK's Obsession? That stuff is Gordon Gekko in a bottle.

How about Antaeus? Shouldn't this one be included?

I'm new to this too, but would Perry Ellis for men fit into this category?

Well, the term "80's Powerhouse" Isn't based on logistics...yet it's most likely being conveyed through the years of standing out towards the current 21st Century Names...People become more inclined to these distinct smells and have portrayed likable memories!! I guess in a simply summary and conclusion...it's all based on what you remember as being a great classic from the 80's!

Oh, though I do agree that Antaeus is a superb frag!

- Balava
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

Can I count Bijan in that category?

The best imo are Jean Patou's Pour Homme, vintage Derby, and Green Irish Tweed

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by PawelL View Post
    Giorgio Beverly Hills Giorgio For Men
    Definitely this one should be on anyone's powerhouse short list (and tops my own). A great era of scents in their original formulations, IMO.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Quote Originally Posted by seasoldiermarine View Post
    Hey canislupusravus, when Powerhouses smell One Man Show they say, "damn, that's a Powerhouse"
    I have yet to smell something stronger

I would add Duc de Vervins from Houbigant on the powerhouse list ; it's even stonger than Drakkar Noir ..

Please, don´t forget the sublime Lauder for Men

I would add also Cacharel Nemo.
    Last edited by Avecesar; 20th October 2012 at 09:33 PM.

French Line by Revillon

And Lapidus pour homme

Two words.

Oak.

Moss.

Tons of it - the real stuff too ... the stuff that gives you cancer, or somesuch.

Antaeus
    VC&A PH
    Drakkar
    Azzaro
    Polo
    Yatagan
    Kouros
    Oscar Pour Lui
    Santos
    Fahrenheit

Quote Originally Posted by sirsmellzalot View Post
    I'm new to this too, but would Perry Ellis for men fit into this category?
    If it's by Parfums Stern, the answer is yes !

Quote Originally Posted by sobriety View Post
    Can I count Bijan in that category?
    BIJAN for MEN, one of my absolute favorites, highly underrated in my opinion and a really outstanding 80's powerhouse that has it all: Strength, power, longevity, sillage and an incredible amount of ingredients. The new reformulated version is a shadow of the original Beverly Hills formula, still great and more wearable in the actual times, but the original version was just a scent-bomb anouncing your presence with a: "here I am, now we can start.."
    www.luxus.cl