Code of Conduct

Default New Armani Privé: Cèdre Olympe

Ive just had a search and not found another thread mentioning this one... but the Armani website has posted info on the newest Privé release Cèdre Olympe... a scent that pays hommage to the Mediterranean and Mount Olympus. Here is some text, taken from the Armani website:

The deep valleys and steep slopes of Mount Olympus are home to a few magnificent tree varieties: pine and cedar, exposed to the burning sun and searing wind.
    The lofty Cedar stands on steep paths; its alliance with the earth and the skies and the richness of its essence lured Giorgio Armani.

Cèdre Olympe evokes the moment when the drifting scents of resin rise beneath the outstretched branches, when the sun hits the stone walls, when the sea breeze drifts in off the Aegean Sea.

Not far from this majestic tree, Bitter Orange and Bergamot distil their sun-drenched fragrance, any way the wind blows; and with the dark green scent of lemon tree leaves, the shade is almost palpable.

Giorgio Armani dedicates Cèdre Olympe to the gods of the Mediterranean.

Albeit cedar seems to be cropping up in every second scent these days, this sounds like something I would like to try.

Default Re: New Armani Privé: Cèdre Olympe

Can't wait to get it at Marshall's!
    (sorry, couldn't help it)

This sounds good! Can't wait to test it out. Thanks for the heads up Dimitri.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post

Another cedar, eh? I wonder if it's another Iso E Super fragrance. I'll swing by Saks to see if they have this next time I am downtown.

Anyone try this one yet? its been a month I know one of us must have sniffed it by now.
    Last edited by Futami; 2nd June 2009 at 10:56 AM.

I have tried this once, in a store. Note to Canadians -- Holts has this in the women's section, you might have to ask because they don't promote it much. I tried it in Ottawa during my recent trip, but I'll try it again here in Edmonton.
    When I heard about this scent, it seemed like something I'd really love: resin, Mediterranean vibe, etc. I was underwhelmed. There is nothing wrong with it, but it just seemed like a pleasant "woody" scent to me. Nothing awesome or breath-taking... and for the price there should be. I have Oranger Alhambra and Bois D'Encens and those are EXCELLENT. This one, just so-so.
    Now I know that I might have been having an off day, and I certainly want to have a fair report on this. So I will try it again, perhaps several more times. But here is my initial reaction, gents.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

That disappointing. Thanks Ody! You've quelled my Prive lemming (.... for the moment)

I was afraid of it being cedre mediocre.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Basenotes Institution

I've been watching for this one - really want to smell it.

I noticed a blogger mentioning that the cedar note was a bark-like cedar - similar to the one Lutens used in Chene and that perked up my ears, but that it's incense/wood notes were very ethereal, vaporous (you know...like Mt. Olympus).
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Interesting comment, mike. I quite enjoy Chene, didn't note any resemblance to Cedre. Chene seems dense and substantial to me, and quite earthy-mossy with that hint of rough bark that is so interesting. Cedre is round, smooth... didn't get any grabber notes out of it. Nor would I say that it is ethereal as Bois D'Encens is.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

I want to sample this also.....I am ready for sure.
    Gary

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    Interesting comment, mike. I quite enjoy Chene, didn't note any resemblance to Cedre. Chene seems dense and substantial to me, and quite earthy-mossy with that hint of rough bark that is so interesting. Cedre is round, smooth... didn't get any grabber notes out of it. Nor would I say that it is ethereal as Bois D'Encens is.
    Thanks odysseum.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

I thought this one needed a bit of a bumb ! ... Still no one else try this one yet ???

I am still most intrigued for a few more "Cedre Olympe" views and reports ??? ...

(I've still not been able to find it anywhere for a quick sniff ??)

An exclusive designer line releasing a ho-hum cedar fragrance... With at least 75% of modern designer male fragrances possessing a cedar drydown, what was the bloody point?!
    Last edited by Trebor; 18th September 2009 at 10:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    An exclusive designer line releasing a ho-hum cedar fragrance... With at least 75% of modern designer male fragrances possessing a cedar drydown, what was the bloody point?!

Hopefullly to finally bring one out that's actually quality and perhaps even worth having ??

( The last decent-ish one was Tumulte Pour Homme ! (And even that one had quite a large room for improvement !)
    Last edited by Sybarite; 18th September 2009 at 08:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sybarite View Post
    Hopefullly to finally bring one out that's actually quality and perhaps even worth having ??

( The last decent-ish one was Tmulte Pour Homme ! (And even that one could have been even better !)
    Well, I thought there were many decent-ish ones already out there - Rochas Lui, Gucci pour Homme... One would expect such lines to venture into territories where mainstream perfumes wouldn't dare (largely due to costs). When every other mainstream male scent dries down to cedar, there's very little point releasing a cedar scent IMHO.

If I want to watch a film with loads of explosions, I'll watch a Hollywood flick. If I'm after something more profound and substantial, I'll watch an indie or foreign film. The last thing I'd expect to see in most indie or foreign films are poorly written scripts or plots, compensated by... loads of explosions.

I tried this finally earlier this week. It was rather nondescript and not very memorable.
    What I mean to say it was pleasant enough, but nothing to rave about.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    I tried this finally earlier this week. It was rather nondescript and not very memorable.
    That's exactly the reaction I had the first time. Then, I tried it in the shop and also had very high expectations. Later, I managed to get a sample, and have tried it a few times. My opinion of it has improved. I still don't think it is a knock-out, but I can see depth and interesting features that eluded me the first time. Last time I looked it wasn't in the BN directory, but I'll post a review when it appears.
    odysseusm

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post

Aw That is a real pity ! ... And I do so trust your judgement, so it's quite likely I'll possibly think pretty much the same about it ???
    I do still love the cedar note though, so even though, as has been mentioned above, there are many mediocre releases, with far too many designer releases reverting to the safety of using "crappy" "wishy-washy" cedar-ish dry-downs. ... I was really hoping for a nicer "higher-end" decent cedar release, to finally re-fill my cedar gap inmy 'drobe ! ...
    But I suppose it aint going to be this "Privee" one !
    (The last cedar heavy fragrance I really enjoyed was Gucci's ~ Rush ! ...
    And I have also just acquired a sample of L'Occitane's Cedar one. (Though I have not had a chance to sample it yet !)

Aaaanyway .... Hope you two are having a fantastic time in Paris !!!

Don't laugh - that's where I found a 50 mL travel bottle of Eclat de Jasmin. For $30.
    Downside: no fancy Armani Prive bottle.
    Last edited by Snafoo; 18th September 2009 at 08:25 PM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Well, I thought there were many decent-ish ones already out there - Rochas Lui, Gucci pour Homme... One would expect such lines to venture into territories where mainstream perfumes wouldn't dare (largely due to costs). When every other mainstream male scent dries down to cedar, there's very little point releasing a cedar scent IMHO.

If I want to watch a film with loads of explosions, I'll watch a Hollywood flick. If I'm after something more profound and substantial, I'll watch an indie or foreign film. The last thing I'd expect to see in most indie or foreign films are poorly written scripts or plots, compensated by... loads of explosions.
    Very true ! And I do actually totally agree with what you are saying ! (I would say the cedar note is probably one of the most abused notes in perfumery ! )...
    I think actually the main reason I was hoping for this one to be amazing, is I really luv those Armani Privee bottles, and have been longing for one I "must-have", so I can finally own one. (All the rest in the line, some are quite lovely, but none have been completely FBW for me (not at their price , and I have found better examples of the same "type". (Cuir Amethyste came the closest - And was my fave bottle with the amethyst stone)). ...
    So seeing I still long for a cedar frag that is completely to my liking. Preferably one which has maybe taken Cedar into a more interesting territory, and with hopefully better natural materials (as in : actual real cedar wood oil), as opposed to the crappy aroma-chemicals that are rife. ... Is the reason I would hope for a more "profound and substantial" higher-end one, with hopefully a little innovation (??? which there is always room for !), as opposed to the run of the mill we have been getting. (In fact, I am pretty sure there are probably quite a few out there, that I've just not warmed too yet (or "hunted-down" yet, for that matter ???).
    Still .............

(P.S. ... Rochas Lui was a decent one. Still, one bottle was more than enough for me, thanx ! ... As for the Gucci one, I actually preferred their "Rush" one ! ... A precursor , with already an oud note, before the "great oud rush" craze )
    Last edited by Sybarite; 18th September 2009 at 09:05 PM.

That's very interesting, Sybarite, and I can see where you're coming from. I, myself, hoped to discover a 'must have' among them but have yet to find one.

Any excuse to own a Armani Privee bottle, eh?

So, have you tried all the usual cedar suspects? Lutens' Cedre, for example?

AromiErotici

This thread is beginning to have a humorous value.

That's very interesting, Sybarite, and I can see where you're coming from. I, myself, hoped to discover a 'must have' among them but have yet to find one.

Any excuse to own a Armani Privee bottle, eh?

So, have you tried all the usual cedar suspects? Lutens' Cedre, for example?
    Yep ! I luved the moonstone bottle too, but the actual "Pierre de Lune" frag just was not my thing .

I actually, contrary to most people here it seems, actually do quite like Cedre. But that one goes in a odd direction. I would probably still like it as a frag, and would easily wear and enjoy it. ... But I wanted something even more cedar rich. I fornd Cedre actually quite cedar light. (Or lets say quite a good bit less than I was expecting

So, alas, I'm still searching ! ... (But will gladly take on more suggestions "onboard" )

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    Don't laugh - that's where I found a 50 mL travel bottle of Eclat de Jasmin. For $30.
    Downside: no fancy Armani Prive bottle.
    No laughing here I got all but my Ambre Soie there... including an Eau de Jade fancy package for $40.

I am curious to try this Cedre, but it would be hard for me to spend a lot of money on something I got so many of at such a discount.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Sybarite, try Penhaligons Opus 1870 for good cedar.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

No laughing here I got all but my Ambre Soie there... including an Eau de Jade fancy package for $40.

I am curious to try this Cedre, but it would be hard for me to spend a lot of money on something I got so many of at such a discount.
    Agreed. I'm pretty sure my bottle of Eclat de Jasmin is the most heavily discounted fragrance (versus MSRP) that I own.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

As always I will wait to sample and see if I like this scent.....I need a Cedre scent so this might be the answer.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Sybarite, try Penhaligons Opus 1870 for good cedar.

Cheers ! "mtgprox05" for the tip ! ... I know I have actually sampled it before, but it was a really good while back (like years!) . So maybe I need to revisit it once more and see what I think now ???

I think I may have found it just a little too light and refreshing. I was hoping more for a nice heavy smoky and dank "foresty" type number, preferably ! ... More Autumn/Winter Cedre !

"Another cedar, eh?"

My first thought as well.

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post

By the way "Oddy", on a completely different note ... I finally managed to get my hands on a sample of Lutens "Fille et Aiguilles" ... And I must admit that you were the very first thing that came to mind.

You have most probably hunted down a sample of it already, I would imagine !? (LOL) ...
    But believe me , if you have not. Do yourself a favour, it really is a "pine luvers paradise" ! The pine notes are rich, resinous and just absolutely gorgeous ! The frag opens with a huge blast of them ! ... I predict that you will absolutely luv it, big time ! ...
    It's late drydown is also somewhat reminiscent of a smoky "Chene" type base, with the added pine notes again, which resurface again at this point. (For they do take a bit of a "backseat" during the "heart" of the frag) ...
    (In fact I would almost bet that he has used some of his "Chene" , or some accords from it, in the base of "Aiguilles's" composition somewhere !?)

But all in all , I think you will really find this one a total must-have ! ( It's the nicest pine centred frag I've sampling so far ! )

Just noticed this was recently added over at TPC, anyone else test it?

Raising this thread from the grave as there's been almost NO talk of this scent anywhere else on BN.

So, has anyone else tried this, and what are your impressions?
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

bump - any other opinions on this?
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I got a sample last year. I don't remember much about it to be honest. I filed it under 'meh'.

I was hoping the woody and resinous elements might be strong, but I gather it's more citric/herbal with a light background wood. Shame!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I dug out the sample to refresh my memory. It's a rather simple light cedar skin-scent. Very forgettable.

It reminded me a little of Chopard's Noble Cedar