Code of Conduct

Thread: Gift for Mom

Default Gift for Mom

My mom is almost 62 years old and quite youthful for her age as far as her attitude is concerned. She really likes the Bulgari Eau Parfumée au Thé Rouge which I originally bought for myself last year but it struck me as too feminine so I gave it to her. What are some perfumes that I should look at for her? Since the weather is heating up I would prefer to get her something that is versatile in hot weather. Are there any good female fragrances that can be found at T.J. Maxx, Marshalls and Amazon that anyone knows? Those are my go-to places for fragrances. List as many as you can. Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by Ronin; 9th May 2009 at 06:29 AM.

Default Re: I want to buy something for my mom

I see JLo Deseo and Sarah Jessica Parker Lovely at TJMaxx regularly, and both are nice fragrances. The JLo is a bit beachy, and the SJP is a soapy, floral musk similar to Narciso Rodriguez for Her. Sometimes I sea Clarins ParAmour which is a very nice rose and cedar fragrance.

Sur la Plage

I have recently seen Clinique Happy gift sets at Marshalls/TJ Maxx. They also had sets of Elizabeth Arden Green Tea.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 3rd May 2009 at 11:22 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

From what I can gather (and my own experience in the UK version - TK Maxx) you should be able to find some lovely scents. I bought a great bottle of Rykiel for Women (Not for Men!) - the edp in the black box with gold dots on it, (which is the good version, not the edt). I like this scent a lot as it's feminine and a bit powdery/heliotropey in a good way. I wear it a lot.

The way I usually approach this kind of buying is to go do a rekky, get the names of the fragrances on offer, then come to Basenotes and look them up on the directory. There's usually enough there to give you a good idea of whether the scent in question is what you're looking for. If you can't find any notes or reviews listed, or if you're not sure, you can come back here and ask us about some specific perfumes and which ones we'd recommend for your Mum.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

She might also like Bulgari au The Vert or The Blanc.

Blog Entries

How about Agent Provacateur? Spicey, sassy rose patchouli & vetiver chypre. Unique, intriguing & not expensive.

The Agent Provacateur has really mixed reviews. Hmmm. Whatever I buy will be a blind buy so this will be a hard choice.

Would Escada (original) be a good choice, or should I keep looking? I smelled it from the atomizer and it smelled decent. How about Gucci Rush or Burberry The Beat?

My mom didn't like Tommy Bahama Set Sail South Seas so if anything smells similar then it's not worth recommending in this case. So no pink or girly fragrances. I'm looking for something that is youthful but also sophisticated at the same time. She also used to have a bottle of Elizabeth Arden's 5th Avenue so I'm guessing Escada (original) would be a good choice? I really would like to buy her two fragrances. One for Mother's Day and one for her birthday but she is the type to only like using one fragrance at a time but I'll try convincing her against this and tell her that's like wearing the same clothes all the time! Keep up the suggestions!
    Last edited by Ronin; 8th May 2009 at 12:57 AM.

Thanks for the earlier suggestions! I really like the Escada (original) and was thinking about getting her that. Out of these which one would you recommend, and why? I will not get her a fragrance for mother's day and decided I should just get her one for her birthday since I don't think she'll respond well with two fragrances as gifts. I'm looking for one solid fragrance for her birthday.

Secret Obsession
    Obsession Night
    Rochas Tocade
    Escada (original)
    How about Burberry fragrances? I'm looking at Brit, Brit Gold and London. Would you say any of these are a good versatile fragrance? Would you considered these the best from the Burberry women's line?
    Last edited by Ronin; 9th May 2009 at 06:28 AM.

Default Re: Gift for Mom

My mother's birthday is tomorrow and I was originally planning on getting her Burberry for Women but I tried it today and it was nice but a bit too subtle. I am thinking about getting her Juicy Couture EDP. Good choice?

Chances are she'll like that, Ronin, as she's a youthful mom. Juicy Couture is a very popular fragrance. I think it will be nice in summer weather. Happy Birthday wishes to your mother!

Blog Entries

Juicy is nice but it may be too subtle, too if you thought the Burberry was. Have you tried the Original Prada (yummy patchouli) or recent Iris Prada that smells very close to Lutens Iris Silver Mist but sweeter, both are nice and strong.

Hillaire

What about Hypnotic Poison?
    I actually think it is pretty accessible, it's something she won't be bored with,and it might make an old gal feel kicky.

All of those suggestions are good but I'm looking for something that is available in Ross, T.J. Maxx and Marshalls. The Ross didn't have the 50ml Juicy Couture that I wanted so I picked up Burberry The Beat. I haven't gifted it to her yet and thinking if it would be a suitable fragrance since it's a bit youthful. I still have until tomorrow to decide and gift her a fragrance and can always return The Beat. I think I probably will return it.
    Last edited by Ronin; 6th June 2009 at 03:41 AM.

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    All of those suggestions are good but I'm looking for something that is available in Ross, T.J. Maxx and Marshalls. The Ross didn't have the 50ml Juicy Couture that I wanted so I picked up Burberry The Beat. I haven't gifted it to her yet and thinking if it would be a suitable fragrance since it's a bit youthful. I still have until tomorrow to decide and gift her a fragrance and can always return The Beat. I think I probably will return it.
    My TJ Maxx has a lot of Red right now (by Giorgio). I think it's fantastic, and your mom likes a diva of a fragrance, that's a good bet. Mine also has a couple of Bvlgari BLV, which is short-lasting but good, and several Gucci Rush and SJP Lovely gift sets.

I plan on returning The Beat tomorrow and heading out to get her another fragrance. I'm not even sure what I'll end up getting her.
    Last edited by Ronin; 6th June 2009 at 09:27 AM.

Sur la Plage

What about Lovely or Covet by Sarah Jessica Parker? They ususally have a lot of those gift sets.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Thanks LilyBelle! Thanks for all of the suggestions! I drove around to two Marshalls, T.J. Maxx and Ross and decided on getting her Juicy Couture. I gifted it to her and she seemed really pleased. She tried it today and said she really likes it.
    Last edited by Ronin; 8th June 2009 at 04:08 AM.