Code of Conduct

Default Musks,Ambergris and almost Oud!!

Received most of my packages last Monday and have spent the rest of the week sampling, sniffing, smelling good and not so good! First off, none of the two musks are in anyway comparable to the Ajmal AA Musk Ghazelle (2nd Ed.).This was a disappointment, but then I realised how lucky I was to have come across the Ajmal!

The first I tried was the Kasturi Deer Musk from E-Bay seller Muskamber. Very sweet, treacly mix,very tenacious,overpoweringly so!! Spilt some on a Hakkari flatweave I have,lucky it has a dark brown background, (and don't ask me how I spilt it!). Still, it is very nice as a room de-odouriser, as we can still smell it almost a week after the mishap!. Pleasant smell but not something I or my wife would wear.

Next up was the Agarscents Bazaar Agar Musk Black Attar. Much better quality than the previous, dare I say it ,mock up Kasturi Musk. Strong hint of dirty knickers with a spicy woody effect behind it, peppery and hay like (me thinks the agar!!) Pleasant but not earth moving. It is a wearer but only when the good stuff has gone. However, Agarscents Bazaar sent 4 samples with that single purchase, and what knockouts they are! Talk about raising the stakes in the game. The quality of these four were streets ahead of everything else bar the Ajmal AA. Musk Ghazelle!! More about these later.

Next was a Malaysian Green Oudh Attar, also from Muskamber. Strong tobacco note with hay, morphed into a slightly sweeter version about three hours in, then faded into a barely perceptible skin scent, still only 20 quid. I know this is blended possibly a little touch of the real thing and then bolstered with synthetics but still interesting enough not to be shelved immediately.

The one I disliked the most was a Dehn al Oudh from Ajmal. Smelled shitty, didn't develop, again cheap. This is a synthetic given the price and I now have an approximation of the barnyard faecal note that all the Hindi oud lovers on Basenotes go on about!! A similarity could be supping your first pint of stout when you are young,you have to persevere with it to begin to appreciate the nuances and taste profile of the different brewers. I'm not sure that this is the area that I want to develop given what would have to be solitary pleasure experience, if I came to love it. This smell isn't something that you could willfully inflict on others! I know it is not authentic but it is currently a benchmark in my learning experience. This seller also passed on an Ajmal Rose Musk. Lovely!! Fresh light and citrusy rose lasts along time,and unisex, though better on me! A total keeper. I think this is the same stuff Abubakr al Misky has. Well worth a purchase, even blind!! Will be good for summer and great for daywear. Completely lovely.

Waqour is the name of the sample that Abubakr al Misky included in my second order of musk. It pleasant rosy ambery number, more perfumey,but similar in effect to the Dehn Musk Maliki, though by no means as spicy or refined. I didn't detect any oud in the Waqour. My Goth daughter liked it. If you remember from a previous post 'everything smells like death' to her. This is a hit, and a possible present for her in a distant 'all chores completed' future!

Now for the highlights of the week. First off I must say that Agarscents Bazaar sample set is a totally brilliant marketing idea. Your customer comes along, all cautious and wary. He has a benchmark scent already, but wants to explore other shades so to speak. Bull by the horns, he orders the cheapest musk and agar attar on the web menu. What does Agarscents Bazaar do? They send sample of perfumes between four and ten times the value of of the initial purchase. Excellent selling technique and completely ruinous to the buyer! The four scents sent were Ambergris White, Amwaj al Behar, Dehn Musk Maliki and Oud Royale. Its like that old psychology of selling Foot-in-the-Door technique. Get the punter to agree to something small,then he is more likely to buy something big if you can prove quality. Well Mr Sharif la Roche, you landed a whole heap of potential poverty and starving kids on my lap,didn't you?

First time smelling real ambergris in the Ambergris White sample. Loved it, but wouldn't wear it myself. This is a woman's scent. Salty,seasidey, you can guess where this is going! A definite skin amplifier. Brought up feelings of protectiveness in me, towards her. Is this a common reaction? Definitely a bedroom stay-at-home scent. The Amwaj al Behar is a night-time going out but 'ending on a promise' scent. Sweet and sexy, again with those inbuilt protectiveness feelings, just not as strong as the previous Ambergris White.

I tried the Dehn Musk Maliki next, and again, loved it! Reminded me of the sample Abubakr al Misky sent with the first bottle of Musk Ghazelle I purchased. What I am learning is the presence of oud gives a spicy woody radiance that makes a perfume last and last. Got a lot of comments on this one. I see the Dehn Musk Maliki as a more formal rosy spicy scent. I honestly didn't pick up on the musk myself, my wife did though. Smeared what little was given on at 8.30 am, was still going strong at 7 that evening. I should also confess my skin tends to dryness and it eats scent. This is probably the reason for my attraction to oil based perfumes, they last a hell of a lot longer! This is a future purchase, when the kids college fund is sorted out!!

Now for the Oudh Royale. Adored this-spicy, bright, long lasting, hay, cedar and tobacco, cardamom notes as well. I kept getting wafts of this from two tiny drops all day and well into the next morning 24 hours plus. I think this is the reason that I wanted to stay away from real ouds. This kind of took me out of myself. Seems a bit silly but i felt like a watcher, not a participant. Sorry, I can't word this any better. Absolutely beautiful smell and an absolutely awful price!! My wife just couldn't 'get it'. I put a drop of the ambergris over the top of one of the oud smears on my wrist and about 4 hours later the oud came shining through. Wonderful tenacity. This is the sort of stuff that I love. The only problem is that I would fell incredibly guilty if I bought this for myself, so I am going to have to angle for it as a present. Lovely as it is, I would be hunted from the house for an extravagance like this, if I purchased it myself, let the campaign begin!. The Musk Ghazelle we both enjoy, it lends itself to sense enjoyment. The oudh is a more personal experience i think, certainly more internal, introspective ,if you like. The AA Musk Ghazelle is raunchy, animal in nature, not afraid of demanding,whereas this Oudh Royale was of the head, rationalising, and setting itself slightly apart. I don't know if anyone one else understands what I am trying to say here. Anyway I am not going to delve into the oud world too deeply yet. I shall exercise a little Protestant restraint on the purse strings and try and keep my marriage intact!!

I have another wee parcel due in this week from Paradise perfumes in Canada. An Ajmal Bakhour something oil and an Al Haramain Dehn al musk and a box of al Haramain Cambodi Oud chips. Also, the Sultan blend oil from Arabian Oud is on its way. The strength of the euro against the pound makes their site seem almost a bargain!! I will let you know what I think of the new scents when they come in. Bye for now!
    Revenge is Tribute

Default Re: Musks,Ambergris and almost Oud!!

Great informative post Bitter Orange, I've ordered a 0.25ml sample of Ambergris White along with other oils form Agarscents, cant wait to try them

Oh man is that Oud Royale wonderful or what! It is one of the best Shariff has to offer. You are very right that it just comes with a waft of air and reminds you that it is still there very much. It is also a very complex Oud which I love and evolves wonderfully. I would try asking to buy a .5 or 1ml vial of it. I myself love the Ambergris and have a bottle of my own. I also have my own bottle of the Dehn Misk Maliki Supreme which I also love. If you need any advice in burning the Oud chips please let me know. I would suggest after trying Agarscents and Oriscent if you ever do then Al Haramain and Ajmals cheaper stuff will only be a memory. Ajmal however does have some really nice Oud but it is more of the same pricing as Agarscents and Oriscent.

Great reviews, Bitter-orange! I like Agarscent's Ambergris White, to me it's a decidedly unisex fragrance which I would feel comfortable wearing but probably reserve it for hotter days. It's by far the most wearable and pleasant ambergris I've tried. I am not a big fan of his musks, but I would love to try some of his ouds though.

I'll look forward to your impressions on Al Haramain Cambodi oud chips and the Sultan from Arabian Oud!

The Sultan is one of the most famous attars in the middle east. Every house makes their own version. It is a blend of Sandalwood, Frankincense, White Musk and Lilley of the Valley. It is a masculine scent and a very nice everyday wearer. Another very famouse attar the likes of Sultan is Khaleej which is primarely a mix of Violet, Cumin and White Musk. Arabian Oud makes very versions of each IMO.

Thanks for the encouragement, its hard to describe the tone and texture of a scent,never mind discerning individual notes. As I said I have a skin that eats scents, old school powerhouses suit me best anyways, but there seems to be a level of refinement and tenacity with oil based fragrances that outlasts the current crop of alcoholic lightweight moderns!
    Looking forward to burning some oud. I am taking on board your remarks about al Haramain's chips but, you never learn to drive in a Jag as your first vehicle. You start out with an old banger and work your way up, hopefully with a minor crash or two just to remind you to be careful! Education is a process and to take full benefit of it,it should be done slowly and steadily. Besides, I want to be in the right place to enjoy the higher grades and you only get that after sucking a few lemons!
    Revenge is Tribute

Let me add my thanks for a very helpful, interesting and "good read" post! Recently "won over" with my purchase of a whole 6 ml of Ajmal AA Musk Ghazelle (thanks abubakr! ) I've been wondering where to start with Agarscents Bazaar - and I now have a better idea. $$$ is going to be the major consideration. Would love to try that Oud Royale & and the Dhen Musk Maliki.

Quote Originally Posted by Delmar View Post
    Let me add my thanks for a very helpful, interesting and "good read" post! Recently "won over" with my purchase of a whole 6 ml of Ajmal AA Musk Ghazelle (thanks abubakr! ) I've been wondering where to start with Agarscents Bazaar - and I now have a better idea. $$$ is going to be the major consideration. Would love to try that Oud Royale & and the Dhen Musk Maliki.
    Do as Bitter did, buy something and then ask for samples by name.

Im also a big fan of Ambergris White thanks to a sample I received from abubakr_al-misky. I dont feel it is a female scent by any stretch of the imagination. Im with Igor01 on this one - a very wearable ambergris indeed.

This is one of those subjective areas, that there will never be consensus I'm afraid. I see the AA Musk Ghazelle as unavowedly male for the effects that it brings about, subtle and not so subtle! The ambergris white brought about feelings of protectiveness in me for her. Where AA Musk Ghazelle amps up the sexual, i think that the Ambergris White amps up any nurturing feelings, or should I say gives them space for fuller expression. Just remember folks we are hormonal beings with bodies electric. Ambergris in the old pharmacopoeias' is listed as a potent aphrodisiac. Maybe what makes it potent is that it makes you care! I have learnt not to delineate fragrance by gender, a good smell is a good smell period, but this is one pair of smells that appear to me to be at opposite ends of the sexual spectrum.
    Revenge is Tribute

I have often heard about this Ambergris White on here, and have been dying to get my hands (nose ! ) on a sample. (And here you guys are, totally teasing me , and causing me to pine and obsess, once again (LOL)) ... But unfortunately those prices are just far too prohibitive for me at the moment. (recession "pinching" as it is, at the mo' ). But I will keep hoping ..... (sigh!)
    Thanks for the reviews ... gives me yet another thing to look forward to !

Bitter and Dimitri, how do you guys find the White Ambergris' longevity on your skin? I wish it lasted longer, I get maybe 5-6 hours out of it. This way my ouds win hands down, two tiny drops applied early in the morning usually last well into the night and some (Royal Kinam, Borneo 3000 and Sheikh's Borneo) will usually last up until a shower, so almost 24 hours

I got about 6 hours out of it too Igor... the sample I had received had just a few drops left, so I dabbed them very sparingly. Perhaps if I had a fuller bottle I might have got greater persistence from it, as I likely would have applied a bit more.

I put a drop of the Ambergris on a sweater and could smell it 2 months later.

I tried a spot of Ambergris White over a dot of Oud Royale . The oud came through in about 4 hours or so. The Ambergris on the other untouched wrist shone for about 5 hours or so. I must admit I preferred the Amwaj al Behar. There was much more going on in it to my nose. My mongrel nature! Sorry if I was a little too dogmatic about the perceived femininity in ambergris, I am finding the Musk Ghazelle is making me more than singleminded!! By the way Dimitri, good job on your Blog! It was your review that sent me searching. I had a bottle of Musk Ghazelle years ago and was trying to find a replacement. Your site lead me to Basenotes and Abubakr al Misky and the rest is history!
    Last edited by Bitter-orange; 4th May 2009 at 07:47 PM.
    Revenge is Tribute

Bitter, I can see where you're coming from with your perception of White Ambergris, it's decidedly unisex or even feminine if compared to the uncompromising animalistic (and very male) olfactory onslaught that is Musk Ghazelle. I can see the appeal of strong musks but personally have a preference for somewhat softer scents, but that's just my personal taste.

Abubakr, how would you compare Sharif's Oud Royale to its Oriscent namesake? What general scent profile is it? Does it fall into a clearly identifyable (if such a thing even exists) geographical or notes category? Any animalistic funk happening there?

Quote Originally Posted by Igor01 View Post
    Bitter, I can see where you're coming from with your perception of White Ambergris, it's decidedly unisex or even feminine if compared to the uncompromising animalistic (and very male) olfactory onslaught that is Musk Ghazelle. I can see the appeal of strong musks but personally have a preference for somewhat softer scents, but that's just my personal taste.

Abubakr, how would you compare Sharif's Oud Royale to its Oriscent namesake? What general scent profile is it? Does it fall into a clearly identifyable (if such a thing even exists) geographical or notes category? Any animalistic funk happening there?
    No animalistic funck from what I remember. Its opening is different then Oriscents. oriscents is very Indonesian while Agarscents is somewhat doughy and soft. It goes from this doughy soft smell to this rich and deep woody note that is very similar to Oriscents dry down. It is different but very good. It like Oriscents creats this aura of Oud smell especially when you go outside and the wind hits it. I love it.

Deer Musk has a great smell.A very strong smell that takes affect on the skin straight away. It works wonders on the skin. I fink there is nothing as unique as Deer Musk