Code of Conduct

Smile What can you tell me about Coty Imprévu?

Hello ladies! Hope you've had a wonderful weekend

Next week, with Mother's Day looming, I find myself thinking about the olfactory associations I have for my mum. She lives abroad and I havent seen her for a number of years.

Youth Dew, Opium, Giorgio Red and Poison are the ones I feel paint a picture of her with perfume.

Today I skyped with her and we had a discussion about this. She told me that her signature scent for many years prior to my birth, was actually Coty's Imprévu... supposedly a stunning chypre that has been long since discontinued. It came as a surprise to me that she had never mentioned this before today. I am intrigued!

Are there any members that can describe this scent with some detail or liken it to something else? My intention is to eventually hunt down a vintage bottle of this, and present it to her along with other gifts on her 60th birthday, in August.

Thanks in advance for any info and/or personal accounts.

Default Re: What can you tell me about Coty Imprévu?

Oh, my mother used to wear and adore Coty Imprévu, I rmember it being so rich and earthy almost like the quintessential 60's 70's type of scent. Your mama has very good taste.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Ah Dimi, what a great guy you are! That's a lovely thought.
    I'll keep my eyes peeled for Imprevu online and in flea markets.
    But just in case we can't find it for you/her - what are the notes and Brielle, can you liken it to any current fragrance?
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Thank you Wordbird... I do hope Mum will get a kick out of it. From what I can see it was loved by many.
    Brielle, can you perhaps describe it in greater detail?

Dimitri,

Imprevu was an unusual scent in some ways because it was marketed to females, yet had some notes more typical for a men's scent. It had a distinct "evergreen" aspect to it - slightly coniferous, but not in a Christmas-y way. It was not flowery. The ad campaign emphasized its "kicky", energetic feel. Wish I could remember more about it, but hope this helps.

J.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Brielle, can you perhaps describe it in greater detail?
    Well it started off with a bergamot, citrus opening, it had a warm leathery feel to it, but it was also a classic chypre. A lot of pine/cedar, oakmossy, woodland feel. Some freshness, but not much. Perhaps a bit of floral, but not enough that it smelled floral.

It reminded me in a way, of the original Cialenga by Balenciaga, or slightly of Amazone by Hermès.

Very unique though, kind of like trying to pick out exact colours in a Renoir; everything is so well blended it is difficult.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Oooh! Thanks to you both for your discriptions... I am definitely going to have to get a bottle of this and have a sniff. It sounds wonderful, and yes, very much like something my mum would have adored.

Blog Entries

I have a vintage bottle, actually. It was one of those I wanted bcs it was special for me. It was the first scent I selected for a gift to my mother when I was 9 years old. I picked it out with my dad at the dept store. It was a really memorable occasion and a memorable scent, eve though it wasn't very expensive. It was a chypre-moss/aldehyde and although my vintage bottle doesn't have much zip in it, it serves to bring back the scent-memories I wanted.

I doubt that a vintage bottle would be satisfactory. That perfume just doesn't hold up. (I have parfum, too). But a recent release that is close in feel IMO, is Givenchy III in the frosted bottle, lavender box.

Also, if you can find an older bottle of La Perla in the egg shaped frosted bottle w/black cap, that is very close to the scent of original Arpege which is also a sister of Imprevu. I've heard from another BNer that the most recent LaPerla seems to be weak & reformulated. So I'd get it from an e-tailer w/older stock.
    Last edited by kumquat; 5th May 2009 at 07:39 PM.

Blog Entries

You also might try Caron Infini or the new Lubin Nuit de Longchamps.

Thank you Kumquat! When you describe the Givenchy III and original Arpege (vintage) I am beginning to get a sense for the style you're describing. I think Im going to have to order a bottle from ebay or something and experience it for myself. When I do so, I'll resurrect this thread and post some thoughts. Sounds excellent.

My recollection of Imprevu is that it was quite tart (green) and animalic (civet?) Not that it helps much, because I don't think its available either, but the closest scent to my memory of it is Liquid Chic by Pauline Trigere.