Code of Conduct

Default Etro - New packaging/prices

I visited the Etro shop on Madison Ave in New York last week. They had the whole fragrance collection in the new packaging as I had first read about on NowSmellThis...
    http://www.nstperfume.com/2009/02/18...new-fragrance/

Everything was standardized with new silver caps and black and white paisley print boxes, each scent getting a different color coded label.

I noticed that Patchouly, originally labeled an Eau de Cologne, now carries the name Eau de Toilette. I had seen the EDC at Aedes not that long ago priced at $90 for 100ml (EDTs were $105).

The newly packaged EDT 100ml is now $168 at the Etro store... that's $187.07 with sales tax! Ouch!

Also visited with Tom at Bergdorf Goodman where they have a very limited selection of Etro left. He told me that they will not be carrying the line anymore.

I know there are lots of deals out there on the web for Etro, but nothing lasts forever!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Etro - New packaging/prices

Interesting. the stockist here has been selling off remaining stock - pretty well all vanished. Might be time to see if I can nab a bottle of Sandalo if any left! Let's see if they carry the re-packaged / re-priced (?) line.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm so happy I got my Etros before this happened! I don't like the new boxes and I can't figure out why the former EdCs are now turned into EdTs. The only good news is introducing the 50 ml bottle.

Here's another, earlier, thread on the same topic: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=226248
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Post Thanks / Like

It'll be interesting to see if the longevity of the Etro's are actually significantly increased. That was my main gripe with them - they were only good for about three hours on me. And their one EDT which I tried and bought at half price (Anice) was only good for about 4 or 5 hours.
    Renato

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wow, I've never had any problems with their lasting power: for example Messe de Minuit, which is an EdC (!) lasts well into the next day on my skin.

Post Thanks / Like

Zounds! that's a huge jump in price. Think I won't be getting Patchouli.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

I like a few of their fragrances, but don't think any are worth that much money. That is quite an increase!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like

I think I just got the last bottle of Sandalo in HK (100 ml EDC, old price less 10%, mercifully). Question for anyone who knows the Etro line. Ths bottle is etched all over with a Paisley pattern - see thru but very textured glass. Is this unusual? Pix I've seen show a plain glass bottle. Same shape botle, box is deep green, subtle paisley, bit of gold trim top and bottom. Sorry I can't get a pic up - still figuring out the technology! PS - it smells good!
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 4th May 2009 at 11:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I am considering a purchase of Etro Sandalo and would like to buy the older packaging....Can someone please confirm if this is the older packaging?

There is another type of bottle that is 'engraved'.......

Which is the older bottle? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

they ar bothe the older packages!!

this is how the new one looks the same but with silver cap instead of the current/old golden cap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    I am considering a purchase of Etro Sandalo and would like to buy the older packaging....Can someone please confirm if this is the older packaging?

There is another type of bottle that is 'engraved'.......

Which is the older bottle? Thanks
    Both are old and from the same period. I have some of my Etros in those engraved bottles because Les Senteurs sold them on a very good discount a couple of years ago...

You can see a pic of the new box and bottle here: http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scenteds...ession_of.html

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks both for the info

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down What happened to Etro's pricing???

I just noticed the prices on the Etro fragrances at Aedes seem to have increased dramatically.

$145 for Sandalo?
    $155 for Messe de Minuit?
    $165(!!) for Lemon Sorbet!!!?? I paid $19.99 for this at Marshall's and while it's a nice enough scent, I can't imagine what would make this rather simple lemony EdC command the insane price of $165.

It appears that some of them are also "sold out", but the introduction of newer packaging (for Patchouly and Messe de Minuit) leads me to believe they aren't simply discontinued.

I'm a huge fan of their Vetiver and Patchouly, but I'm not sure I think they're worth DOUBLE their previous prices.

Anyone else notice this?

Default Re: What happened to Etro's pricing???

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes I did... and its absurd that in a down economy they think that increasing prices by 80% is smart. Honestly they were barely worth the old prices and the new packaging isn't that great. At least there's plenty of old bottles on ebay.... for now.

Post Thanks / Like

Is it Etro, or Aedes? I know that luckyscent, for instance, has Czech & Speake at $70 more than another e-tailer.
    The Bark Bites Back.

The rich are going to buy what they want; the price to them is irrelevant (especially items around $200). Etro might understand their customers a bit better than anyone here. Just a guess on my part, of course.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 12th July 2009 at 07:59 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thebark View Post
    Is it Etro, or Aedes? I know that luckyscent, for instance, has Czech & Speake at $70 more than another e-tailer.
    It is Etro - I had a long chat with the guys at Aedes about it last month. Aedes pretty much only charges MSRP for everything. For some lines other sites definitely offer discounts. Want to hear silly? Etro's shower gels are $80+.... more then Malle!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    The rich are going to buy what they want; the price to them is irrelevant (especially items around $200). Etro might understand their customers a bit better than anyone here. Just a guess on my part, of course.
    I am interested in what sort of market analysis went on with their decision to up prices...I have a feeling they felt it would add prestige to have high prices and people would put their scents in a 'higher class'. I'm hardly 'the rich' but I'll pay $160 for a bottle if it's worth it. What's more there's a big gulf between $90 and $160 vis a vis how good a scent must be for me to buy it. There are Etros I like, but not enough to pay these retail prices.

On a side note the very wealthy people I know are just as thoughtful when it comes to spending money as anyone... they don't like being ripped off and don't buy overpriced products just because they can. Because someone can afford something does NOT mean price is irrelevant.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shermanirving View Post
    I am interested in what sort of market analysis went on with their decision to up prices...I have a feeling they felt it would add prestige to have high prices and people would put their scents in a 'higher class'. I'm hardly 'the rich' but I'll pay $160 for a bottle if it's worth it. What's more there's a big gulf between $90 and $160 vis a vis how good a scent must be for me to buy it. There are Etros I like, but not enough to pay these retail prices.

On a side note the very wealthy people I know are just as thoughtful when it comes to spending money as anyone... they don't like being ripped off and don't buy overpriced products just because they can. Because someone can afford something does NOT mean price is irrelevant.
    I agree with this completely. I'll gladly pay $165 for a bottle of a scent if I enjoy it enough and feel that it's "worth it", but I take issue with simply offering the exact same product in an updated box for TWICE+ the price. I too wish I understood the business sense behind such decisions, because I can't imagine that asking $165 for a 3.4oz bottle is likely to increase the overall sales or demand for their product. I'm a huge fan of their Vetiver EdC.. It's constantly in my rotation and while I've always preferred to find it discounted on Ebay or other e-tailers, I have no doubt that I would have purchased it again at the retail price of $85 if I was unable to find it cheaper elsewhere. That said, would I consider purchasing it again for... $165? Absolutely not. While they may gain some new customers at their vastly inflated prices, they've just lost a loyal one.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Etro has some "nice" fragrances, but none are worth that price IMO.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

They can keep 'em!
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Post Thanks / Like

Well, of all the companies to do it, I don't mind that they were the ones to do it. I've yet to try one that I ached to have... only ones that were "nice." It's even more irritating because it's nothing more than sheer greed on their part... it's not like all the scents suddenly cost twice as much.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

All of scents that were EDC are now EDT, therefore higher concentrations and higher costs. It sucks because I just paid 150 for Vetiver I could have bought it a year ago for 90.

Quote Originally Posted by scent View Post
    All of scents that were EDC are now EDT
    I think they are still EDC's.

http://www.aedes.com/brand.php?brand_id=14&cat_id=1
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
    nope, the aedes site is still not updated...i just double checked and my new Vetiver is EDT
    Last edited by scent; 12th July 2009 at 11:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scent View Post
    nope, the aedes site is still not updated...i just double checked and my new Vetiver is EDT
    I'm incredibly curious to know if they've actually re-created all of their scents as EDTs, or simply decided to update their description of them on the newer style packaging.

I've always gotten fairly decent longevity and projection out of their Vetiver and Patchouly EdC's... Definitely more than many other scents which claim to be EDT strength (i.e. Most of L'Artisan's range - which are now rather "cheap" by comparison)

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Ridiculous.

Post Thanks / Like

Currently $1 = € 0.72 and the market here sucks. The days when Americans were the "consumers of last resort" are over.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Even if they actually increased the concentration of their scents, as opposed to just calling them EdTs, the cost to produce did not go up 80%. A few pennies per bottle. Maybe.