Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: The French Pronunciation Thread

Just one question: when pronouncing these, do you say it in French or English? I use the Acapela and it has pronounciation in both version. So, if you go to places like Neiman Marcus or the Guerlain Boutique in Vegas, do you ask for these in a French or English pronounciation???

lol at Rive Gauche... I may not tell people what that is when they ask.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    Great to come back to this thread again! I am having problems with some of the links.. in fact most of them don't work as they previously did, is there a technical problem?
    They all worked for me.

I've feared losing this valuable resource ever since I noticed the files are hosted on Trufflehunters ISP provided webspace. As a precaution I've mirrored all the sound files HERE.

Hey Truffle hunter this thread is great. However you can sort the files in categories. Like house, and under house there are their perfumes.
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by DocmanCC View Post
    They all worked for me.

I've feared losing this valuable resource ever since I noticed the files are hosted on Trufflehunters ISP provided webspace. As a precaution I've mirrored all the sound files HERE.
    Thank you Sir! most of the links work now, though just a handful still doesn't seem to load for me, I reckon its a problem on my end

Thanks matthewfoo for resurrecting it! I thought it had faded away into oblivion. And thanks to Docman for mirroring the sound files.
    ohmygod: you're suggestions are good. I'd like to do the same thing but things are the way they are because of the way they grew over time. Maybe we could make a sticky of it and organise it properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Pug911 View Post
    Just one question: when pronouncing these, do you say it in French or English? I use the Acapela and it has pronounciation in both version. So, if you go to places like Neiman Marcus or the Guerlain Boutique in Vegas, do you ask for these in a French or English pronounciation???
    That is an excellent question. I always pronounce fragrance names in an anglicized fashion when I'm speaking English, unless of course the people I'm speaking to know French.

Please don't think I posted these in order for everyone to pronounce them that way! If anyone has gotten this impression, then I've done the world a great disservice! Use them as a guide only, so you know the proper French pronunciation, then anglicize them to fit into English.

By the way, the links don't seem to be working for me anymore. I've haven't tried them for months. I can right-click and 'save target as'. Could be my end.

Dependent

Kudos to you trufflehunter! I am very appreciative of your efforts at educating, I have certainly learned much.

HOWEVER, when i click on some of them, language like the lines below appears on the entire page. It must be some technical problem on my end. I'm on a mac if that helps, anyone experienced this or know of possible solutions?

0&uf��bl=���������ܫG� Seh�������馫eO˕?q������������ σ����@8R����+���������X��X���_. � Se������ӫ� Se���FC|K)9>A\'�������� e�n�-�a�u���]&EG_e

matthewfoo: some of the files are wma and some are avi. Are you having this problem with one or the other? Also, are they the links in my original post or in the mirror that docman posted above?

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Trufflehunter View Post
    matthewfoo: some of the files are wma and some are avi. Are you having this problem with one or the other? Also, are they the links in my original post or in the mirror that docman posted above?
    Thanks for replying. I believe I have problems with wma... the weird page loaded after clicking on a couple of your links.

Post Re: The French Pronunciation Thread

Trufflehunter-

A tout casser !

Quote Originally Posted by LeNez View Post
    Trufflehunter-

A tout casser !
    Merci LeNez! Je rougis! Tout ce qu'il faut maintenant, c'est de faire fonctionner les liens! Ils marchent pour vous?
    Last edited by Trufflehunter; 4th August 2009 at 09:53 AM.

Ca marche bien !

I would appreciate help with the pronunciation of two Guerlains. Li and Vol de Nuit.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCanary View Post
    I would appreciate help with the pronunciation of two Guerlains. Li and Vol de Nuit.
    Thanks.
    Guerlain Li is said as one note. Spelled "L-I-T-E"

(a joke, sorry couldn't resist!)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCanary View Post
    Thanks.
    Vol de Nuit is relatively easy. Just say 'vol de nwee' and you're close enough! I'll put up a sound file for it soon.

Li, on the other hand, could prove problematic. It's not French. I think it's actually italian. In which case it would rhyme with pi, meaning 'more'. And that one's pronounced like 'pyoo'. Don't worry, though, the french would have difficulty with it themselves, if they didn't know it was Italian. If they tried to pronounce it as if it were a french word it would be almost phonetically impossible. So I'd just say 'lyoo' in your best italian accent

L'Occitane please!!
    Check out my Fragrance Review Blog

Wishlist: Byredo Pulp, Creed Aventus, Montale Black Aoud, Original Santal, Dior Jules, Invasion Barbare, Pure Distance M

Li, on the other hand, could prove problematic. It's not French. I think it's actually italian.
    Based on Mr. Guerlain's review of the scent, the name seems to be derived from a Chinese name. I don't speak Mandarin, but I think it's pronounced "Lyoo" (in your best Chinese accent, of course ; )).

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    Guerlain Li is said as one note. Spelled "L-I-T-E"

(a joke, sorry couldn't resist!)
    I guess I should expect that joke.

Thanks Trufflehunter, Critic and zliang.

Quote Originally Posted by zliang View Post
    Based on Mr. Guerlain's review of the scent, the name seems to be derived from a Chinese name. I don't speak Mandarin, but I think it's pronounced "Lyoo" (in your best Chinese accent, of course ; )).
    Li is the chinese slave girl heroine in Puccini's opera Turandot. According to a footnote in the Wikipedia entry on Turandot:

Note that the grave accent (`) in the name Li is not a pinyin tone mark indicating a falling tone, but an Italian diacritic that marks stress, indicating that the word is pronounced [ˈlju] rather than [[WP:IPA for Mandarin|ˈli.u]]. If we take it to be an authentic Mandarin name, it likely to be one of the several characters pronounced Liu that are used as surnames: 刘 Li [lju] or 柳 Liǔ [lju].

So, "lyoo" sounds about right!

Quote Originally Posted by Critic View Post
    L'Occitane please!!
    Easy one (no need to get my microphone out)!

lock-see-tahn

Is anyone else having problems with these links? Like matthewfoo, I can no longer just 'click and play'. Have to right-click and 'save target as'. Don't know why!

Great thread !!! loved listening to all these , one I really struggle with is Hermessence ; as the French sales assistant in my Hermes store is aware of judging by the strange look on her face when I try to say it !!!

er-mhs-ns
    Last edited by Stereotomy; 1st September 2009 at 03:46 AM.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Th Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Is anyone else having problems with these links? Like matthewfoo, I can no longer just 'click and play'. Have to right-click and 'save target as'. Don't know why!
    Hi, Trufflehunter. On my Mac, using Firefox, the first set of ".wav" files open with the little player, but they either don't play or they just play a tiny piece of the recording.

The later two sets of files (".wma" files") open as pages of text gobbledygook. No sound at all.

I basically can't click and play any of them. They all worked fine for me earlier, when you made them! I hope this info is useful. I don't know much about audio files.

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/flip4mac.mspx

IME, Flip4Mac works in 99,99% of cases.

Eeek! don't know what's happening!
    The links are working fine on my work PC, running Windows XP.
    At home, running Windows 7, they don't work at all. But they used to!

These links are okay for me,they either play with Quicktime or Windows Media player !

For those having problems it sounds more like a browser issue than a website issue. If your browser is trying to display code instead of starting up a program or giving you a download prompt then your browser doesn't know what to do with that particular type of file.

The wav files should be pretty universally supported. The wma files, however, is a Microsoft format and may be hit or miss in other operating systems depending on what multimedia tools you may have installed.

Dependent

For those having problems it sounds more like a browser issue than a website issue. If your browser is trying to display code instead of starting up a program or giving you a download prompt then your browser doesn't know what to do with that particular type of file.

The wav files should be pretty universally supported. The wma files, however, is a Microsoft format and may be hit or miss in other operating systems depending on what multimedia tools you may have installed.
    You are probably right, my problem is identical to Haunani's...mostly, some links still direct me to the page of display codes, 2-3 work fine. And I have updated my Flip4Mac. *sigh*
    Last edited by MFJ; 2nd September 2009 at 10:04 AM.

You are probably right, my problem is identical to Haunani's...mostly, some links still direct me to the page of display codes, 2-3 work fine. And I have updated my Flip4Mac. *sigh*

It's a jungle out there... are you on Safari?
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift;
    that's why they call it the present."

As a result of so many questions regarding the correct pronunciation of french names, I've decided to go ahead and record some sample pronunciations. ....
    Thank you for taking the time to do this, I'm enjoying the sounds much and the replies to this thread!

-Usually uses sign language or points finger.

Quote Originally Posted by nikkou View Post
    Thank you for taking the time to do this, I'm enjoying the sounds much and the replies to this thread!

-Usually uses sign language or points finger.

Haha, I usually point and say "umm.. THAT STUFF !"

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by nikkou View Post
    It's a jungle out there... are you on Safari?
    Hey! No I am on Firefox... should I switch to Safari?

Hey! No I am on Firefox... should I switch to Safari?
    Is worth a try, for Haunani too if she's on Mac. Safari is Apple's browser and if something doesn't work on it, it probably won't work on another browser. I sometimes use both at the same time.

I know this sounds retarded, but how do you pronounce Caron?

Super useful/helpful thread! Thanks for putting in all the effort!

Another thanks! Can you ad Tom Ford ( :
    I post lots from my I phone so if this looks like a text message that's why ( :

Quote Originally Posted by L'aventurier View Post
    Wow, Trufflehunter you have a very nice french accent for an Australian. J'aime!
    Leave it to an Aussie to teach us French.

Is Rochas pronounced RO-shass? Also, is Must pronounced Moost and Equipage like Eh-ki-paaag?
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    Leave it to an Aussie to teach us French.

Is Rochas pronounced RO-shass? Also, is Must pronounced Moost and Equipage like Eh-ki-paaag?
    ro-SHAHSS, MST (the "" like the German in Fahrvergngen; fix your lips for "oo" and keep them that way while you pronounce "ee") and eh-ki-PAHZH (always keep vowels pure in French, don't glide into diphthongs!).
    Last edited by JaimeB; 17th October 2009 at 05:53 AM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat clum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    Seneca

Must is pronounced like in English (because it's an English word), we don't pronounce the '' in this word.
    'Petit Robert' dictionary confirms my pronunciation.

People (myself included) have been having difficulties with the links to the sound files. I just realised they are going through a redirection service now: redirectingat.com.
    If I click on a link directly I get an error. I have to right-click and save the file to my pc before I can open it!
    What gives?

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stephan View Post
    Must is pronounced like in English (because it's an English word), we don't pronounce the '' in this word.
    'Petit Robert' dictionary confirms my pronunciation.
    Merci, monsieur. videmment, j'aurais d consulter mon dictionnaire! J'ai trop prsum de mes forces; je l'avoue. Alors, je viens de le consulter, et je trouve ( mon chagrin) que "must" n'y figure pas. Il s'agit donc d'en acheter un autre plus complet. Peut-tre aurait-il valu mieux tre n franais, ou suisse, ou belge... Vous me voyez ici, monsieur, autant du que jaloux!
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat clum.

Seneca

People (myself included) have been having difficulties with the links to the sound files. I just realised they are going through a redirection service now: redirectingat.com.
    If I click on a link directly I get an error. I have to right-click and save the file to my pc before I can open it!
    What gives?
    This is Basenotes, not you. The redirectingat.com is a web-service used to gather statistics on what links get clicked by users. Too bad it is interfering with these links.

My mirror has an index page between Basenotes and the sound files so the redirectingat.com problem does not exist. Has anyone had problems using my mirror? http://hosted.docman.cc/basenotes/

This is Basenotes, not you. The redirectingat.com is a web-service used to gather statistics on what links get clicked by users. Too bad it is interfering with these links.

My mirror has an index page between Basenotes and the sound files so the redirectingat.com problem does not exist. Has anyone had problems using my mirror? http://hosted.docman.cc/basenotes/

Thanks for the info Docman, that's what I suspected. I've just done a little sleuthing by trying the links of other PC's and they work (both mine and yours, thanks for the mirror btw)
    My main PC is running Windows 7 and that seems to be the problem. I get a message saying "Windows could not automatically detect this network's proxy settings" whenever I click on a sound file link (on your mirrored files as well).

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    Merci, monsieur. videmment, j'aurais d consulter mon dictionnaire! J'ai trop prsum de mes forces; je l'avoue. Alors, je viens de le consulter, et je trouve ( mon chagrin) que "must" n'y figure pas. Il s'agit donc d'en acheter un autre plus complet. Peut-tre aurait-il valu mieux tre n franais, ou suisse, ou belge... Vous me voyez ici, monsieur, autant du que jaloux!
    I just did the same thing and couldn't find 'must' in my Harrap's or the Larousse DFC. But in the OED 'must' can mean 'new wine before fermentation is complete' or 'the mating frenzy of elephants or camels'.

I hope Cartier is referring to the former

I've always pronounced it with a french 'u' as the actual name of the frag is French. I'll continue to do so until they change the name to 'Must By Cartier"

Petit Robert definition:

must (n.*m. )

• 1981; av.*1973 (marque dpose); mot angl.*

*Anglic. Fam. Ce qu'il faut savoir ou faire pour tre la mode ( impratif); ce qu'il y a de mieux. Cette bote, c'est le must.

And as mentioned above, the pronunciation is the same as in English.
    If you go to a perfumery in Paris and ask for some Mst de Cartier, they surely will find it funny.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I just did the same thing and couldn't find 'must' in my Harrap's or the Larousse DFC. But in the OED 'must' can mean 'new wine before fermentation is complete' or 'the mating frenzy of elephants or camels'.

I hope Cartier is referring to the former

I've always pronounced it with a french 'u' as the actual name of the frag is French. I'll continue to do so until they change the name to 'Must By Cartier"
    I kind of like the idea of rutting elephants... It has a certain power behind it, if you know what I mean.

Yeah, I kind of figured the wine thing, too; but the French for that is le mot. Not to be confused with la moue, as in faire la moue ("pull a mug," "make a face"). Oh, well, you could have fooled me into pronouncing the Cartier fragrance's name with the rounded front vowel... An online French dictionary I found defines must (from the English) as "Ce que l'on doit avoir ou porter pour tre la mode," and labels it as a nouveaut. I guess my French is no longer au jour le jour!
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat clum.

Seneca

JamieB:

"Heritage" de Guerlain se prononce comme en francais?

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by snifferdog View Post
    JamieB:

"Heritage" de Guerlain se prononce comme en francais?
    I don't have the bottle in front of me, but I'm pretty sure there's an accent aigu on the "e." Anyway, I guess it could be done either way. Maybe the best pronunciation would depend on where you are; when in Rome...
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat clum.

Seneca

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I checked, and there is indeed an accent aigu on the bottle of Guerlain Hritage, so I don't think anyone could fault you for saying air-ee-TAHZH if you wanted to...
    Last edited by JaimeB; 20th October 2009 at 09:03 AM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat clum.

Seneca

...My mirror has an index page between Basenotes and the sound files so the redirectingat.com problem does not exist. Has anyone had problems using my mirror? http://hosted.docman.cc/basenotes/
    DocmanCC, I just clicked each translation on your mirror site. They all worked for me just fine with the exception of the following:

These show an error message "404 page not found":

Le Baiser du Dragon
    Cuir de Russie
    Habit Rouge
    Le Baiser du Dragon
    Safran Troublant
    Un Jardin en Mditerrane
    Un Jardin Sur Le Nil

These begin to play but speed through too fast:
    Heure Exquise
    L'Air du Dsert Marocain
    L'Heure Bleue
    Terre d'Hermes
    Un Jardin Aprs La Mousson

I hope this is helpful. Thanks to you and to Trufflehunter!

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    DocmanCC, I just clicked each translation on your mirror site. They all worked for me just fine with the exception of the following:

These show an error message "404 page not found":

Le Baiser du Dragon
    Cuir de Russie
    Habit Rouge
    Le Baiser du Dragon
    Safran Troublant
    Un Jardin en Mditerrane
    Un Jardin Sur Le Nil

These begin to play but speed through too fast:
    Heure Exquise
    L'Air du Dsert Marocain
    L'Heure Bleue
    Terre d'Hermes
    Un Jardin Aprs La Mousson

I hope this is helpful. Thanks to you and to Trufflehunter!
    Yikes! I could swear I checked every one of those links before putting them up. I'll get this fixed.

Done. Regarding the files that play too quickly, this is nothing I can control. I simply copied the files directly from Trufflehunter's links.
    Last edited by DocmanCC; 20th October 2009 at 02:23 AM.

Yikes! I could swear I checked every one of those links before putting them up. I'll get this fixed.

Done. Regarding the files that play too quickly, this is nothing I can control. I simply copied the files directly from Trufflehunter's links.
    Thank YOU! Do the too-quick ones do the same for you, or is my software at fault?

Thank YOU! Do the too-quick ones do the same for you, or is my software at fault?
    I found a few of the files on the site were corrupted (no idea how that happened, which worries me). I replaced them with new copies and verified they are working. Give it a shot now.

I found a few of the files on the site were corrupted (no idea how that happened, which worries me). I replaced them with new copies and verified they are working. Give it a shot now.
    Just tried L'Heure Bleu and Terre d'Hermes. Still the same problem. They sound like "Luh" and "Teh". Do they work for you?

Thanks for this great resource! You are right though, knowing how it sounds in French still means that you have to come up with a 'nice' sounding anglicized version! I once asked for TdH and the reply was "was that Aramis?"

Just tried L'Heure Bleu and Terre d'Hermes. Still the same problem. They sound like "Luh" and "Teh". Do they work for you?
    Yep yep. Try to clear your browser's cache as you are most likely not re-downloading the file when you click the links.

Yep yep. Try to clear your browser's cache as you are most likely not re-downloading the file when you click the links.
    Ah, thanks for the tip!