Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: The French Pronunciation Thread

Just one question: when pronouncing these, do you say it in French or English? I use the Acapela and it has pronounciation in both version. So, if you go to places like Neiman Marcus or the Guerlain Boutique in Vegas, do you ask for these in a French or English pronounciation???

lol at Rive Gauche... I may not tell people what that is when they ask.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    Great to come back to this thread again! I am having problems with some of the links.. in fact most of them don't work as they previously did, is there a technical problem?
    They all worked for me.

I've feared losing this valuable resource ever since I noticed the files are hosted on Trufflehunters ISP provided webspace. As a precaution I've mirrored all the sound files HERE.

Hey Truffle hunter this thread is great. However you can sort the files in categories. Like house, and under house there are their perfumes.
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by DocmanCC View Post
    They all worked for me.

I've feared losing this valuable resource ever since I noticed the files are hosted on Trufflehunters ISP provided webspace. As a precaution I've mirrored all the sound files HERE.
    Thank you Sir! most of the links work now, though just a handful still doesn't seem to load for me, I reckon its a problem on my end

Thanks matthewfoo for resurrecting it! I thought it had faded away into oblivion. And thanks to Docman for mirroring the sound files.
    ohmygod: you're suggestions are good. I'd like to do the same thing but things are the way they are because of the way they grew over time. Maybe we could make a sticky of it and organise it properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Pug911 View Post
    Just one question: when pronouncing these, do you say it in French or English? I use the Acapela and it has pronounciation in both version. So, if you go to places like Neiman Marcus or the Guerlain Boutique in Vegas, do you ask for these in a French or English pronounciation???
    That is an excellent question. I always pronounce fragrance names in an anglicized fashion when I'm speaking English, unless of course the people I'm speaking to know French.

Please don't think I posted these in order for everyone to pronounce them that way! If anyone has gotten this impression, then I've done the world a great disservice! Use them as a guide only, so you know the proper French pronunciation, then anglicize them to fit into English.

By the way, the links don't seem to be working for me anymore. I've haven't tried them for months. I can right-click and 'save target as'. Could be my end.

Dependent

Kudos to you trufflehunter! I am very appreciative of your efforts at educating, I have certainly learned much.

HOWEVER, when i click on some of them, language like the lines below appears on the entire page. It must be some technical problem on my end. I'm on a mac if that helps, anyone experienced this or know of possible solutions?

0&uf��bl=���������ܫG� Seh�������馫eO˕?q������������ σ����@8R����+���������X��X���_. � Se������ӫ� Se���FC|K)9>A\'�������� e�n�-�a�u���]&EG_e

matthewfoo: some of the files are wma and some are avi. Are you having this problem with one or the other? Also, are they the links in my original post or in the mirror that docman posted above?

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Trufflehunter View Post
    matthewfoo: some of the files are wma and some are avi. Are you having this problem with one or the other? Also, are they the links in my original post or in the mirror that docman posted above?
    Thanks for replying. I believe I have problems with wma... the weird page loaded after clicking on a couple of your links.

Post Re: The French Pronunciation Thread

Trufflehunter-

A tout casser !

Quote Originally Posted by LeNez View Post
    Trufflehunter-

A tout casser !
    Merci LeNez! Je rougis! Tout ce qu'il faut maintenant, c'est de faire fonctionner les liens! Ils marchent pour vous?
    Last edited by Trufflehunter; 4th August 2009 at 08:53 AM.

Ca marche bien !

I would appreciate help with the pronunciation of two Guerlains. Li and Vol de Nuit.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCanary View Post
    I would appreciate help with the pronunciation of two Guerlains. Li and Vol de Nuit.
    Thanks.
    Guerlain Li is said as one note. Spelled "L-I-T-E"

(a joke, sorry couldn't resist!)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCanary View Post
    Thanks.
    Vol de Nuit is relatively easy. Just say 'vol de nwee' and you're close enough! I'll put up a sound file for it soon.

Li, on the other hand, could prove problematic. It's not French. I think it's actually italian. In which case it would rhyme with pi, meaning 'more'. And that one's pronounced like 'pyoo'. Don't worry, though, the french would have difficulty with it themselves, if they didn't know it was Italian. If they tried to pronounce it as if it were a french word it would be almost phonetically impossible. So I'd just say 'lyoo' in your best italian accent

L'Occitane please!!
    Check out my Fragrance Review Blog

Wishlist: Byredo Pulp, Creed Aventus, Montale Black Aoud, Original Santal, Dior Jules, Invasion Barbare, Pure Distance M

Li, on the other hand, could prove problematic. It's not French. I think it's actually italian.
    Based on Mr. Guerlain's review of the scent, the name seems to be derived from a Chinese name. I don't speak Mandarin, but I think it's pronounced "Lyoo" (in your best Chinese accent, of course ; )).

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    Guerlain Li is said as one note. Spelled "L-I-T-E"

(a joke, sorry couldn't resist!)
    I guess I should expect that joke.

Thanks Trufflehunter, Critic and zliang.

Quote Originally Posted by zliang View Post
    Based on Mr. Guerlain's review of the scent, the name seems to be derived from a Chinese name. I don't speak Mandarin, but I think it's pronounced "Lyoo" (in your best Chinese accent, of course ; )).
    Li is the chinese slave girl heroine in Puccini's opera Turandot. According to a footnote in the Wikipedia entry on Turandot:

Note that the grave accent (`) in the name Li is not a pinyin tone mark indicating a falling tone, but an Italian diacritic that marks stress, indicating that the word is pronounced [ˈlju] rather than [[WP:IPA for Mandarin|ˈli.u]]. If we take it to be an authentic Mandarin name, it likely to be one of the several characters pronounced Liu that are used as surnames: 刘 Li [lju] or 柳 Liǔ [lju].

So, "lyoo" sounds about right!

Quote Originally Posted by Critic View Post
    L'Occitane please!!
    Easy one (no need to get my microphone out)!

lock-see-tahn

Is anyone else having problems with these links? Like matthewfoo, I can no longer just 'click and play'. Have to right-click and 'save target as'. Don't know why!

Great thread !!! loved listening to all these , one I really struggle with is Hermessence ; as the French sales assistant in my Hermes store is aware of judging by the strange look on her face when I try to say it !!!

er-mhs-ns
    Last edited by Stereotomy; 1st September 2009 at 02:46 AM.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Th Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Is anyone else having problems with these links? Like matthewfoo, I can no longer just 'click and play'. Have to right-click and 'save target as'. Don't know why!
    Hi, Trufflehunter. On my Mac, using Firefox, the first set of ".wav" files open with the little player, but they either don't play or they just play a tiny piece of the recording.

The later two sets of files (".wma" files") open as pages of text gobbledygook. No sound at all.

I basically can't click and play any of them. They all worked fine for me earlier, when you made them! I hope this info is useful. I don't know much about audio files.

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/flip4mac.mspx

IME, Flip4Mac works in 99,99% of cases.

Eeek! don't know what's happening!
    The links are working fine on my work PC, running Windows XP.
    At home, running Windows 7, they don't work at all. But they used to!

These links are okay for me,they either play with Quicktime or Windows Media player !

For those having problems it sounds more like a browser issue than a website issue. If your browser is trying to display code instead of starting up a program or giving you a download prompt then your browser doesn't know what to do with that particular type of file.

The wav files should be pretty universally supported. The wma files, however, is a Microsoft format and may be hit or miss in other operating systems depending on what multimedia tools you may have installed.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by DocmanCC View Post
    For those having problems it sounds more like a browser issue than a website issue. If your browser is trying to display code instead of starting up a program or giving you a download prompt then your browser doesn't know what to do with that particular type of file.

The wav files should be pretty universally supported. The wma files, however, is a Microsoft format and may be hit or miss in other operating systems depending on what multimedia tools you may have installed.
    You are probably right, my problem is identical to Haunani's...mostly, some links still direct me to the page of display codes, 2-3 work fine. And I have updated my Flip4Mac. *sigh*
    Last edited by MFJ; 2nd September 2009 at 09:04 AM.