Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: The French Pronunciation Thread

Thank you for this great thread.
    Here's one more please: Lubin

I must bump this thread.

I think the Prada scents give SAs some problems. I asked to see the Infusion d'Iris and was told, "We only have the Prada Milano." Go figure.

On the other hand, one SA called the L'Eau Ambree as "am-brie." (Not "om-bray," which is approximate.)
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

OMG I thought this thread had passed into the dark recesses of the Gamma Quadrant!
    Thanks for the 'bump', Primrose. The links to the sound files all seem to be working again... half of them had mysteriously died last time I check, decades ago

Truffle, perhaps we can provide a link to your thread when they mangle the names of the scents they are selling...
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Many new ears since this was last on the front burner.

*bump*
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Oh wow!

I always forget that I am at an advantage in this field. My native language being French. I mostly speak English but sometimes it's Franglais or Frenglish, lol!

Salespeople hate me. I would never correct them but if I am talking about a certain fragrance I say it in French because that's what it says on the bottle. It's like my last name. There is no English pronunciation. It has been invented but I still always say it the way it is suppose to be said. I have an 'x' at the end of my last name and a lot of people (understandably) pronouce it but then I get confused because I have no idea who they are referring to! :P
    " Nothing can be known - not even this..." - Carneades

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by miss-little-miss View Post
    Oh wow!

I always forget that I am at an advantage in this field. My native language being French. I mostly speak English but sometimes it's Franglais or Frenglish, lol!

Salespeople hate me. I would never correct them but if I am talking about a certain fragrance I say it in French because that's what it says on the bottle. It's like my last name. There is no English pronunciation. It has been invented but I still always say it the way it is suppose to be said. I have an 'x' at the end of my last name and a lot of people (understandably) pronouce it but then I get confused because I have no idea who they are referring to! :P
    [Open rant]

It is very hard for me to try to pronounce French words as if they were English. It just goes 'way against the grain! It's kind of like trying to punch myself in the face. I mean, it would be ludicrous to go around speaking French like it was English. For one thing, anybody who speaks French either wouldn't understand you or would think you were "dingue."

Why don't English speakers try going around speaking English ahz zo eet wair Frensh, hein?

The obvious solution: Anybody who's interested in anything having to do at all with France or the French language should make a valiant effort to learn how to pronounce French words, even if they can't hack speaking the language.

Hell, as long as we're at it, "À bas le monolinguisme!"

[End rant]

OK, that feels much better!
    Last edited by JaimeB; 28th March 2011 at 11:14 AM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

How is "sillage" pronounced? "SILL-uge" or "SEE-yazh"? I thought it was a French word but I heard someone pronounce it the American way last night.

I find this site helpfull http://www.forvo.com/search/sillage/

sillage- see' yazh
    Infusion d'Iris- anfuz-io'n d'EEree
    Lubin- Lu(e) ba(en) (the accent is on the second part ''ba'')
    Caron- Ca'ro (n) (the accent is on the second part ''ro'')
    Last edited by cocorocha; 5th April 2011 at 09:02 AM.

Thanks so much for recording everything.

Can I make a suggestion re hosting of the files.

It might be worthwhile uploading this to Dropbox, Wuala* or some similar file sharing / syncing service that is not tied to your ISP.

It would just be such a shame to loose these files if you were ever to change from TPG to another ISP.

* In the interest of disclosure, the Wuala link is a referral for my account. Both the newly created account and my account get additional space if that link is used.

Being a francophone from Québec, I would be glad to record a few items as well.

The original set is not bad at all, but it suffers from some second-language minor details, especially the lack of liaisons.

Quote Originally Posted by MHV View Post
    Being a francophone from Québec, I would be glad to record a few items as well.
    That should be funny, I love your accent!

Quote Originally Posted by Stephan View Post
    That should be funny, I love your accent!
    We have fun with yours too...
    Last edited by MHV; 16th November 2011 at 03:58 PM.

Just found this thread and the audio files in the first post were really useful, thank you. Thanks also to people who wrote phonetic pronunciation guides in subsequent posts.

There are many new sites in the world in internet which are providing useful information about french pronunciation
    flashcard . If you have any interest then you should visit this link for more information about french pronunciation
    flashcard. Hope you will like this site and get good things.