Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: ... Patchouli Leaves Vs. Borneo 1834 ...

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Patchouli Leaves

14 42.42%
  • Borneo 1834

19 57.58%

Default ... Patchouli Leaves Vs. Borneo 1834 ...

While the price for one 50ml Serge Lutens Borneo 1834 perfume is 89Euro, Montale Patchouli Leaves 100ml perfume is 75 Euro. I find both have the very familiar base notes: oriental woody with strong and amazing patchouli. To me, Borneo 1834 is smooth, beautiful while Patchouli Leaves is more strong and masculin.

So, Borneo 1834 or Patchouli Leaves'll be gonna a brilliant choice to you guys?

Default Re: ... Patchouli Leaves Vs. Borneo 1834 ...

Patchouli Leaves for me.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Well I have and like both and really, they are as different as Patchouli frags can get. As you wrote, Borneo is smooth, suave and incredibly sophisticated in the way it blends patch and cocoa. Quite unique and versatile, which is why it got my vote. The Montale is a terrifically pungent patch, while the dry down is very ambery - in fact not that far from Ambre Sultan. More difficult to wear for its hardy top, almost a bit conventional in the drydown - I do not find it more masculine than Borneo, actually, but indeed much stronger. Get both .
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I voted for Patchouli Leaves. Tomorrow I'm sure to change my mind. They both are a patchouli lover's wet dream.

Hmm - I guess I should retry patchouli leaves - when I tried it I just thought it was totally boring, light and unremarkable... Meanwhile Borneo is one of those scents that I could live with if I had to give away the rest of my collection.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Slumberhouse : Norne
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

Basenotes Institution

As the_good_life said above, a patchouli lover like you needs to own both.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Borneo 1834
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Neither are the best patchouli scents around but they're still very good.

In terms of overall composition and smell, I'd go for Borneo - my only gripe is that it's too soft for me. If it had a bit more oomph, it would have become an all-time personal favourite. Oh, also be prepared to be mistaken for wearing A*Men...

Patchouli Leaves is MUCH stronger - it's really poetent stuff. However, while the opening is impressive, the drydown is mainly amber. As I mentioned in the past, if you own (and love) Tauer's L'Air, you probably won't need Patchouli Leaves. Well, that's unless you're a 'frivolous' Basenoter...

Ooh - just tried my Patchouli Leaves sample again - it is nice - it reminds me alot of Ambre Sultan, but lighter, with patchouli over the amber and some soapy musk. Am I wrong in feeling like this is more of an amber fragrance than patchouli?

It is very nice and the drydown is smoother than Ambre Sultan. It is worth having in addition to Borneo as they are completely different, but if you already have Ambre Sultan or a similar Amber I'd say it's not necessarity worth having.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Slumberhouse : Norne
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

Amber and patchouli seem to be very complimentary notes and show each other off well, but the amber in Patchouli Leaves is what I object to. PL ends up being more an amber fragrance which is good if you are looking for amber, but I think Borneo 1834 shows off patchouli the best between these two.

Yesterday in Paris, after trying these two, I decided to buy Patchouli Leaves first, because It's cheaper, and also amazing. Then coming back to Vietnam, I was really happy and enjoyed my choice. But so soon, I recognized that I miss Borneo 1834 so bad... You are right the_good_life, maybe I will take Borneo home with me next time I fly to Paris. Besides, I don't feel any similar between Borneo and Amen.

Can't smell any similarities between Patchouli Leaves and Ambre Sultan...where's the indian spice rack heart of Ambre Sultan in 'Leaves? Also, the amber and vanilla base of Leaves is far substantial than the dry and nearly non-existent amber base in the Sultan. That said, I prefer Borneo because of its dry cocoa-chocolate twist to the patchouli formula ..
    -

Tough choice as others have said, they are so different and so worthy of admiration. Wearing both in this moment (I love these threads for that!) I am drawn to Borneo... today I wouldn't have said that a couple months ago though. I think Leaves gets a nod for sillage and presence. I'm voting for Borneo.

p.s. I originally made a connection between Ambre Sultan and Patchouli Leaves but now that I've gotten to know both much better I can barely remember why I thought that. That said, as Gaivs said in his second post, there are those similarities, if distant, so that if one owned Ambre Sultan, I think the decision would be all the more clear to go with Borneo.

Another thing to consider, and I've read this elsewhere as well, is that Borneo is a bit muted and feels a little gray (or a bit like the color of powdered cocoa) on me. Patchouli Leaves casts a certain golden hue in my mind and thus I guess I feel different wearing it. Borneo feels more introverted in that respect, if you are affected by those kinds of things when wearing a fragrance.

p.p.s. I didn't realize you'd already made your choice until just now. I think you made a great decision! Enjoy! (pretty much as soon as I'd voted I wanted to change my vote to both, because I really couldn't decide.)
    Last edited by nthny; 5th May 2009 at 05:32 AM.

neither...for my patchouli kick i would go for either of these, Mazzolari Patchouli or Lui, Bois 1920 Real Patchouly, Farmacia SS. Annunziata dal 1561 Patchouly Indonesiano (comes in Parfum Concentration), Profumum Patchouly

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    neither...for my patchouli kick i would go for either of these, Mazzolari Patchouli or Lui, Bois 1920 Real Patchouly, Farmacia SS. Annunziata dal 1561 Patchouly Indonesiano (comes in Parfum Concentration), Profumum Patchouly
    Jenson! You're not playing by the rules! haha

Quote Originally Posted by nthny View Post
    Jenson! You're not playing by the rules! haha
    i knw i knw but since the OP has tried both, i woud encourage CG to try out more if he is not convinced with either of them, i would.

Quote Originally Posted by nthny View Post
    Tough choice as others have said, they are so different and so worthy of admiration. Wearing both in this moment (I love these threads for that!) I am drawn to Borneo... today I wouldn't have said that a couple months ago though. I think Leaves gets a nod for sillage and presence. I'm voting for Borneo.

p.s. I originally made a connection between Ambre Sultan and Patchouli Leaves but now that I've gotten to know both much better I can barely remember why I thought that. That said, as Gaivs said in his second post, there are those similarities, if distant, so that if one owned Ambre Sultan, I think the decision would be all the more clear to go with Borneo.

Another thing to consider, and I've read this elsewhere as well, is that Borneo is a bit muted and feels a little gray (or a bit like the color of powdered cocoa) on me. Patchouli Leaves casts a certain golden hue in my mind and thus I guess I feel different wearing it. Borneo feels more introverted in that respect, if you are affected by those kinds of things when wearing a fragrance.

p.p.s. I didn't realize you'd already made your choice until just now. I think you made a great decision! Enjoy! (pretty much as soon as I'd voted I wanted to change my vote to both, because I really couldn't decide.)
    :P just like you, I already made a choice, but I'm not 100% totally happy with my choice. That's why I made this thread to hear all your points If I have to choose between Ambre Sultan and Borneo, I think I will fall into Borneo. Anyway, I will come back to Paris asap to take Borneo, cause right now I'm missing it so bad. Borneo is a limited edition, but I see it everywhere I go :P

Just tried PL while I own a bell jar of Borneo 1834. Well, to me PL is to patchouli what Route du Vetiver is to vetiver. Patchouli and dirt. But also sweet which RdV isn't. i love patchouli but I cannot think of a situation where I would want to wear PL.. This stuff is larger than life. The fact that the juice has a dark brown color where no one is supposed to know what color the Montale juices are, says it all. I also find in it the little cheese not i like in Aoud Cuir d' Arabie and while it is quirky there, in PL it is frightening. Although i do not find PL an ugly scent, it sure freaks me out.