Code of Conduct

Default Guerlain: Heritage vs. Habit Rouge

In a coincidental effort to keep the Guerlinade theme going - and in an effort to open a good can of worms - I ask you: Is there room in a wardrobe for Heritage if Habit Rouge is already there? I was thinking about picking up a bottle but I just don't think it will add anything new to the wardrobe. Judging by the notes, the two should be considerably different by the heart and basenotes but the reviews by fellow BNers sound similar if not identical. Of course some of you will answer yes, but please justify! For those of you who have tried both, which do you prefer? and what differences did you experience?

Thanks All!
    Currently looking for Ava Luxe Midnight Violet

Visit my offsite sales thread for other items for sale - just updated!
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=265#265

Default Re: Guerlain: Heritage vs. Habit Rouge

Absolutely Yes! Not only should these two classics be different, but they certainly are. Habit Rouge is altogether sweeter than Heritage, and for that reason I principally wear HR in cool/cold weather, while I wear Heritage all year long. Heritage is imho the more formal of the two scents, and is a little more appropriate for an office setting, or to be worn with a sharp suit. I am neither scent's biggest fan, but am glad to have both in my wardrobe.

Basenotes Institution

They are different. I own both. Everyone should.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Most definitely!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Rouge and heritage are poles apart. Habit Rouge Eau de Cologne is the best way to start...it's such a fab scent for daily wear. Heritage on the other end is an "intense" oriental which would be ideal in a formal environment and occassions. like MikeP said. everyone needs to own these scents.

Thumbs up Re: Guerlain: Heritage vs. Habit Rouge

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Absolutely !
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

VERY different. Habit Rouge is a dusty, "crazy" vanilla scent, Héritage is - as said here - a formal lavender-woody scent. Both VERY Guerlain...

I was wondering could both of these work in hot humid weather?

I just came back from hot humid Thailand, and I'd say the no perfume is really good in such climate. Even Shalimar had to give up - it was gone in a dizzy blur in sixty minutes

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guerlain View Post
    I just came back from hot humid Thailand, and I'd say the no perfume is really good in such climate. Even Shalimar had to give up - it was gone in a dizzy blur in sixty minutes

you guys are indeed blessed to have cooler weathers.

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    you guys are indeed blessed to have cooler weathers.
    Agreed.

Does heritage have a new box design?

One more thing...does heritage box come sealed in plastic wrap? the ones in my country come without sealed plastic wrapping.

I personally prefer HR and that's because I am partial to vanilla. Both are great frags but if I have to run into a burning house to save one, HR will be the one.

Both! I prefer HR in cologne strength, though....

I tried HR in edc strength
    I think its really overrated
    pretty much to me like vanilla and lemon

as far as Heritage its a really nice scent
    somewhat similar to BdP but BdP being above in class and quality but still awesome scent, just that the longevity sucks on me

these two scents are completely different IMHO and there is alot of room for both
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

There is always room for Blue Chip fragrances in any wardrobe. Besides, these are diverse enough to warrant the purchase of both.

As has been said, the two are not at all alike. HR EdC (the only one I am well acquainted with) has survived the LVMH era at Guerlain pretty well. As to Héritage, I've never been able to join in the general enthusiasm, at least regarding the current incarnaton of the EdT. Smells harsh and cheap to me. If you have the chance, go for a vintage bottle, it is purportedly far superior. I also find Creed's Bois du Portugal more satisfying, heck, even Bogart's Witness is better (but only myself and Thoreau believe that )
    Last edited by the_good_life; 4th May 2009 at 06:04 PM.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

They're wildly different. I have and love both.

Without wishing to open that can of worms, I don't think BdP is a step up in class at all, I've always preferred Hertiage and think BdP is massively over-priced and over-rated.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

I call Habit Rouge a "nose twister." It's not "bad," but it takes getting used to, and the drydown is unique and solid. I couldn't deal with this frag more than once or twice a month, whereas Heritage is more wearable. They are not at all similar.

I agree that both are compatable in one's wardrobe. This time of year, the Habit Rouge edc is really good but the Heritage is a bit too "thick" for the heat and humidity in our climate. Perhaps for some evening occasion when inside in the A.C.! Wish Heritage was available in edc.

Thanks all, my questions were answered and I'm looking forward to trying some out very soon. I really, really enjoyed Habit Rouge today, more than I expected I would. I expect a similar experience with Heritage when it comes around. Thanks again, and I really enjoyed your website, M Guerlain, very nice!
    Currently looking for Ava Luxe Midnight Violet

Visit my offsite sales thread for other items for sale - just updated!
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=265#265

Quote Originally Posted by fraddicted View Post
    I agree that both are compatable in one's wardrobe. This time of year, the Habit Rouge edc is really good but the Heritage is a bit too "thick" for the heat and humidity in our climate. Perhaps for some evening occasion when inside in the A.C.! Wish Heritage was available in edc.
    If your're wishing to ratchet down the intensity of Heritage just a little bit, you might try the aftershave. Same great Heritage fragrance but a bit more discrete in sillage.
    Last edited by Snafoo; 5th May 2009 at 04:08 PM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan