Code of Conduct

Default Gendarme V - Hallelujah! This has "signature scent" written all over it!

A 6 month search for a "perfect" frag has led me far and wide, and along the way i've acquired some fantastic scents. But when I sampled. . and then bought. . Gendarme V this weekend i knew i'd hit on something very very special.

This is a 100% unoffensive scent. It is timeless and classy, fresh and comforting, yet floral (ylang ylang) and grassy sweet. And yet, there is a bit of "bite" and spice that is not obvious so as to be dominant, but hidden under the other scents to such a level that it manages to make the frag sophisticated and engaging without making it off-putting. It actually smells, at moments, like a much subtler and fresher version of Brut. . that's never a bad thing.

Three coworkers who are my sounding board on frags were raving about it today, but most imressive was the fact that my one hyper-critical friend who abhors most of my frags and refuses to smell me anymore couldn't stop moving closer and sniffing me. She absolutely loved it, which is something she's never said about any of my frags, including AdP Colonia, Mure et Musc, or Castile.

V lacks the soapy and sudsy dominance of the orginal Gendarme, opting for a grassier, grounded scent that turns down the citrus as well.

For anyone looking for a perfect combination of freshness and sophistication, without being offensive or cloying, try Gendarme V. It's an instant classic to me and will be heavy in my rotation for the coming months. The Gendarme website has samples. If you're one of the many of us who looks for that perfect summer frag, you'd be well served to try this one.

Default Re: Gendarme V - Hallelujah! This has "signature scent" written all over it!

Cool, man. I'll have to repay V another visit. I love most of the other Gendarmes. And when the ladies like it, well...is there really anything more important than that?

Default Re: Gendarme V - Hallelujah! This has "signature scent" written all over it!

Ill check this out
    Have you tried Gendarme 20?
    Im wondering what you feel about that one
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

V is the only Gendarme I've got also. Good choice.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hasupk@gmail.com View Post
    Ill check this out
    Have you tried Gendarme 20?
    Im wondering what you feel about that one
    I haven't tried 20 yet - its not for sale at any stores that i've been to in Chicago. I may have to order a sample off the Gendarme site.

20 lets the lavender dominate. There's no sweetness at all, just clean clean clean.

Is 20 the same as Gendarme EDP? I've been getting mixed answers on this one. Uppercut, do you get the civet that is mentioned in the notes?
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Is 20 the same as Gendarme EDP? I've been getting mixed answers on this one. Uppercut, do you get the civet that is mentioned in the notes?
    20 is not the same as EDP

EDP (the one with the G on the bottle) is the higher concentrated version of the original Gendarme

20 is a lavender formulation, significantly different smelling than the original and the EDP version.

Last edited by adonis; 5th May 2009 at 02:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    20 is not the same as EDP

EDP (the one with the G on the bottle) is the higher concentrated version of the original Gendarme

20 is a lavender formulation, significantly different smelling that the original and the EDP version.
    Ohhhhh. Ok. That makes sense, thanks for clearing that up for me.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

What about longevity of this one? The original Gendarme disappeared from my skin in something like ten minutes, so neither me nor other people could smell anything. I think I saw the "G" bottles at Sephora, didn't realize it was an EdP, should probably try it again.

See here's my deal with Gendarme. I think the EDT is amazing, talk about smelling great! AND it lasts forever, with zero output, I mean nothing. I have a sample of the "edp" from luckyscent, and I notice zero difference between the two, including sillage. Unfortunately, my Sephora doesn't carry Gendarme G, only Sky, the EDT, and 20. So, unfortunately I have nowhere to get a second opinion.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 5th May 2009 at 01:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fjord View Post
    What about longevity of this one? The original Gendarme disappeared from my skin in something like ten minutes, so neither me nor other people could smell anything. I think I saw the "G" bottles at Sephora, didn't realize it was an EdP, should probably try it again.
    I have the EDP and the EDT. The EDT is a fleeting experence on my skin and I can go through a 4oz bottle in 3 months of daily wear. Both react favorably to the unscented lotion trick (apply a layer of lotion to your chest and neck, then spray on the juice). EDP does last longer, and Topper mentioned he reduced the tonkabean ratio in the base notes to make the EDP more conscious to the wearer.

20 is such a brisk dry lavender hit that you can easily smell it all day.
    Last edited by adonis; 5th May 2009 at 01:33 AM.

I see V listed on the Gendarme website, but when you click on it, nothing shows but the regular Gendarme, and it's not listed in the full description of products. What gives? And where else to try / buy?

Gendarme Green looks interesting...

Correct me if i;m wrong but doesn't gendarme V smell like laundry detergent? hmm

Quote Originally Posted by funraiser18 View Post
    I see V listed on the Gendarme website, but when you click on it, nothing shows but the regular Gendarme, and it's not listed in the full description of products. What gives? And where else to try / buy?
    Yup saw that too. I think they have samples at beautyencounter.

Quote Originally Posted by Dudester! View Post
    Correct me if i;m wrong but doesn't gendarme V smell like laundry detergent? hmm
    Not according to the first poster in this thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Dudester! View Post
    The funny thing is that wearers of Gendarme varieties and those that smell them often mention the "fresh laundry" scent of the frags. It's certainly clean and fresh. .and oh, what the hell. . SNUGGLY!!

Like l'eau par Kenzo, its a fresh scent with a definite comforting vibe at its base,

I read somewhere that it has an concentration of 16%, which is almost parfum level, correct? Bueller? Bueller?

I was looking at the Gendarme site today and no longer see "V" and "Green". Hope they aren't gone forever.
    "V" is an excellent frag and I believe I read an interview with Topper somewhere that said that "V" is a variation of "20" in that it uses ylang ylang instead of lavendar. No wonder I like it!

Saw V last week at Bloomingdales

Arghh. Still haven't found a way to sample V. It's nowhere in any store near me, and it isn't listed on their site or TPC.

I see that a sample of V is available at beautyencounter for 1.99, as well as full size (just type 'gendarme' in their search bar in the right upper corner)