Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exclamation Men, which fragrances marketed to women do you wear

I am writing an article for a magazine about 'feminine' scents worn by men. Not unisex~ fragrance specifically has to be targeting WOMEN. Maybe even with a woman on the ad
    ok not Paris Hilton but possibly something like Rive Gauche, Cristalle Vert or any luxury or niche fragrance. (No Malle, no Serge, Les exclusifs , Hermessences please)

Here's the profile of the guy I am looking to answer this thread, but all comments are welcome

Lives in USA, Urban Area NYC, Atlanta, Chicago or DC

lots of testosterone
    CONTROLS the remote
    Definitely from Mars
    Athletic or ex athlete
    savvy and sophisticated, educated

Brief comments are welcome....
    TIA
    Last edited by memechose; 4th May 2009 at 08:51 PM.
    "If only there could be an invention that bottled up a memory, like scent. And it never faded, and it never got stale. And then, when one wanted it, the bottle could be uncorked, and it would be like living the moment all over again."
    — Daphne du Maurier

Default Re: Men, which fragrances marketed to women do you wear

What about Houston?

I wear Bond no.9's Nuits de Noho, this scent is marketed only for women, but it smells so good that I just had to have it!

Prada Infusion d'Iris and Tom Ford Black Orchid are easily worn by men - and will surely be some of the most common responses to this thread.

Chanel No.5

Coco

Cartier Delice

The One

Gucci EDP

Gucci Rush

Fendi Pollazo

Shalimar

I'm not sure if I'm what you're seeking ( being Canadian, you know... ) But excluding niche, which is what I mostly wear, I wear Dior's Poison and Guerlain's Mitsouko with some regularity ( have a bottle of the former coming in the mail ).

Smile Re: Men, which fragrances marketed to women do you wear

I live in Atlanta, am a sports fanatic (GO BRAVES AND UGA DAWGS!), educated and consider myself somewhat of a renaissance man. I have no problem wearing Guerlain Mitsouko, Bond No.9 Silver Factory, Caron Tabac Blond and Chanel Cuir de Russie. Here is a previous thread discussing this topic -
    http://community.basenotes.net/showt...light=feminine

Quick story - I was in Ulta this past weekend. It's amazing to me how people who work in the fragrance industry aren't open-minded enough to entertain the thought of a man wearing a fragrance that is marketed towards women. I was walking around looking for Aramis New West Skinscent for Women (I've read this has a wonderful melon note). I flagged down one of the SA's and told her what I was looking for. She quickly frowned and said "That's for women! Why would you want to smell like a woman?". I quickly went into my "I wear what smells good to me, no matter what gender it's marketed to" speech. After stepping down from my soapbox she quickly directed me to sample Calvin Klein Man.
    Last edited by acjigga; 7th May 2009 at 10:56 PM.
    "Smell with your nose, not your ears."

ACJIGGA'S FAVORITES - Xerjoff Nio, Xerjoff 1861, Profumum Roma Acqua Viva, Neil Morris for Takashimaya, Sonoma Scent Studio Champagne de Bois, Creed Green Irish Tweed, Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche Pour Homme, Yves Saint Laurent Opium Pour Homme EDP, Comme des Garcons Kyoto, Lattafa Ameer Al-Oudh EDP, Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa Oud & Slumberhouse Jeke

I think I qualify (I control the remote, I'm a big sports fan,I'm savvy and educated, but I'm not an athlete or ex-athlete).

The scents marketed to women that I wear include:

Jicky

Vol de Nuit

L'Heure Bleue

Cabochard

Bandit

Apres l'Ondée

Quote Originally Posted by acjigga View Post
    Quick story - I was in Ulta this past weekend. It's amazing to me how even people who work in the fragrance industry aren't open-minded enough to entertain the thought of a man wearing a fragrance that is marketed towards women. I was walking around in Ulta looking to try Aramis New West Skinscent for Women. I flagged down one of the SA's and told her what I was looking for. She quickly frowned and said "That's for women! Why would you want to smell like a woman?". I quickly went into my "I wear what smells good, no matter what gender it's marketed to" speech. After stepping down from my soapbox she quickly directed me to sample Calvin Klein Man. Ugh...
    I've given up trying to convince SA's. Now I just buy for a phantom female relative who happens to share my exact taste in fragrance...

Malabah by Penhaligon's - I'm a professional working in London in my mid-40s and love it. A glorious oriental, which smells divine on women, but different and wonderful on male skin.

I also wear Kingdom by Alexander McQueen, a rose/cumin based scent which works well on male sking.

Oh and Victorian Posy by Penhaligon's. A floral chypre which works better on male skin than female I think.

*Edit: and Black Orchid of course. I don't think of this as being a female fragrance at all so forgot to mention it. Partly too because Tom Ford SAs now describe it as unisex.
    Last edited by HDS1963; 5th May 2009 at 08:16 AM.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

LOL GB! Thanks for the tip - next time I visit the Guerlain counter I'll be shopping for my "spirited, sassy and stylish aunt"!
    Last edited by acjigga; 4th May 2009 at 10:56 PM.
    "Smell with your nose, not your ears."

ACJIGGA'S FAVORITES - Xerjoff Nio, Xerjoff 1861, Profumum Roma Acqua Viva, Neil Morris for Takashimaya, Sonoma Scent Studio Champagne de Bois, Creed Green Irish Tweed, Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche Pour Homme, Yves Saint Laurent Opium Pour Homme EDP, Comme des Garcons Kyoto, Lattafa Ameer Al-Oudh EDP, Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa Oud & Slumberhouse Jeke

I wear:

Tabac Blond

Cabochard

Bandit (EdP and extract)

Jolie Madame

Magie Noire

I don't fit your profile at all, but here's mine:

Mitsouko
    Ambre Gris by Balmain

and I don't care what anyone thinks!

I don't fit the criteria either but I did enjoy wearing Light Blue for women while I had a few samples of it (kudos to acceptfacts for the suggestion). It's one of those frags that actually becomes less feminine when on male skin.
    Sales thread here

I wear number of marketed to women's scents;

Cabochard de Gres
    Bal a Versailles
    Infusion D'Iris
    Bandit
    Baghari
    The Guerlain group of:
    Mitsouko
    Jicky
    L'Heure Bleue
    Goutal Songes
    Hermes Elixir des Mervailles
    Tom Ford Black Orchid
    More that I can't think of off the top of my head.
    I live in Boston
    Have my own man room to watch sports in.
    Played football in HS, center
    Play volleyball now.
    Have run triathlons up to tinmans.
    Savvy and spophiticated, I think so.
    Educated, yes.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

one time i wore paris..

I partially fit your profile...

Plenty of testosterone (and the body hair to prove it)
    Definitely from Mars
    Ex athlete

I own and wear often:

Black Orchid (Tom Ford)
    Bronze Goddess (Estée Lauder)
    Citizen Queen (Juliette Has a Gun)
    LP No9 for Her (Penhaligon's)
    Le Feu d'Issey (Issey Miyake)
    Infusion d'Iris (Prada)
    Ambre Gris (Balmain)
    Jungle L'Éléphant (Kenzo)
    Loukhoum (Keiko Mercheri)
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 5th May 2009 at 08:36 PM.

Acqua di Parma ~ Iris Nobile

Masc guy with ample testosterone and in touch with my feminine side.
    Bandit
    Baghari
    Visa
    Mahora/Mayotte
    Voile d'Ete
    Poison
    Eau De Star
    Ormolu
    Victorian Posy ( boy, I wish that had a different name.)
    Malabah
    Fracas (mixed with Rive Gauche PH)
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Black Orchid

Basenotes Plus

D*mn, I'd love to smell you guys!

I really dislike the genderization of fragrances.

Good luck with your article.

Penhaligon's Malabah alone or layered with Hammam Bouquet

I’m considered hetero by most of my friends and family, I can be effeminate at times, even dainty. I think I got that from doing full contact karate

I wear the following scents proudly and without embarrassment:

Prada Infusion d'Iris
    Tom Ford Black Orchid
    Guerlain Shalimar, L'Heure Bleue , Jicky, & Mitsouko
    Robert Piguet's Bandit
    Bronze Goddess (Estée Lauder)
    Citizen Queen (Juliette Has a Gun)

Is it a wonderful thing that we can wear what we want no matter what!!!

You guys are great Bronze goddess, that will make some mouths drop as well as chanel #5,Love acjigga's ulta story...and hermes elixir and visa.... whoa. Love it
    "If only there could be an invention that bottled up a memory, like scent. And it never faded, and it never got stale. And then, when one wanted it, the bottle could be uncorked, and it would be like living the moment all over again."
    — Daphne du Maurier

Sur la Plage

Tom Ford Black Orchid
    Dolce and Gabanna Light Blue
    Donna Karan Chaos
    Donna Karan Black Cashmere
    Estee Lauder Azurée Soleil Eau Fraiche Skinscent
    Estee Lauder Youth Dew Amber Nude
    Kenzo Jungle L'Éléphant
    Alexander McQueen Kingdom
    Marc Jacobs Autumn Splash Ivy
    Yves Saint-Laurent Opium
    Guerlain Shalimar
    Guerlain Jicky
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

oh my bal a versailles and a triathlete , that is the greatest
    — Daphne du Maurier

After having tried MKK, I think Bal a Versailles actually has more...oooph

I wear my wife's D & G Light Blue - It's hands down a gazillion times better than the men's version.
    Peace ~ Markymark

I wear Tom Ford, Black Orchid. I would never wear this to work or to watch a ball game with my buddies but it is, nonetheless, a seriously sensual fragrance that really works on a date night. The dark chocolate tinge mixed with truffles is very deep and almost intoxicating. And, surprisingly, it does not smell feminine at all if you are all dressed up, looking nice, and confident.

In addition, I will wear Shalimar EDT with no problems at all. It is such a dated fragrance - not in a bad way - just from long ago before they had unisex so it works on a man. I feel like it is a slightly dirtier and grittier version of Guerlain's, Habit Rouge. Maybe a little bit more passionate instead of conservative - seems to cross that line, but in a great way.

Chanel Sycomore

Quote Originally Posted by memechose View Post
    I am writing an article for a magazine about 'feminine' scents worn by men. Not unisex~ fragrance specifically has to be targeting WOMEN. Maybe even with a woman on the ad
    ok not Paris Hilton but possibly something like Rive Gauche, Cristalle Vert or any luxury or niche fragrance. (No Malle, no Serge, Les exclusifs , Hermessences please)

Here's the profile of the guy I am looking to answer this thread, but all comments are welcome

Lives in USA, Urban Area NYC, Atlanta, Chicago or DC

lots of testosterone
    CONTROLS the remote
    Definitely from Mars
    Athletic or ex athlete

Brief comments are welcome....
    TIA
    Dear Memechose, this sounds like wanting to use a rather specific subgroup of Basenoters for a very specific purpose of your own business. I wonder if the Male Fragrance Discussion board is the right place for this kind of poll. BN is a global forum and people normally don't specify in advance whose reply, or what kind of reply would be particularly welcome in their thread, or even less welcome !

ps:I do wear Paris Hilton's perfumes for men and women, it really doesn't matter which. I am really sorry that you don't seem to like them! Also the products of Jessica Parker I cannot resist - just too lovely! I get a lot of compliments from the girls and my Boss, whenever I wear them. So glad you asked for Rive Gauche: I wear that too, but the men's edition I have to admit. I just don't dare wearing that one in the office! It is so...I don't know... if hope you can guess what I mean!
    Last edited by narcus; 6th May 2009 at 05:15 AM. Reason: added text
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Off-Scenter

Straight, married, middle aged, with kids, and living in a major west coast city. I regularly wear Habanita, Carnal Flower, Bandit, Chanel Cuir de Russie, Givenchy III, Mitsouko, and Shalimar.

Quote Originally Posted by memechose View Post
    ok not Paris Hilton but possibly something like Rive Gauche, Cristalle
    Do I detect fragrance snobbery here?

It's bad enough that guys here are subject to ridicule for wearing the very good Paris Hilton men's scents, but now you effectively snob all the macho guys who wear the very good Paris Hilton women's scents.

This may well bias your article, such that people will reply to you with scents that either have a certain snob value, or scents that the gurus (LT and Burr) have deemed safe for males to wear.
    Cheers,
    Renato

I agree with the mentioned frags, and would add Carven Ma Griffe.

(Is she really a Mom, or is this French)?

Guerlain Insolence actually works pretty well on my skin. Same goes for Opium by YSL. I don't own any bottles, but I love stealing my girlfriend's samples.

Quote Originally Posted by Butthead53 View Post
    Carven Ma Griffe. (Is she really a Mom, or is this French)?
    This is French, and means : my claw (verbal translation), but I understand that metaphorically. Other than a bird's (or cat's) claw, griffe could also mean a particular knife. Quite often French perfume names are a play with double meanings.
    Last edited by narcus; 5th May 2009 at 08:05 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I wear regularly:

Bandit EdT and EdP
    Tabac Blond EdT and Parfum
    Coup de Fouet
    Mitsouko EdT
    Sous le vent
    Après l´ondée
    Jicky EdT, EdP and Parfum
    Cuir de Russie, Chanel
    Sycomore
    Profumo AdP (vintage)
    Cuir de Lancôme
    Dioressence
    Azurée
    Givenchy III

I have and admire..... but don´t wear that much:

Shalimar
    Vol de Nuit
    Habanita
    Bois des Iles
    Alliage
    Diorella
    Femme
    Arpège
    Ivoire
    Calèche
    Cabochard
    Last edited by sables; 5th May 2009 at 08:28 AM.

My fav: Youth dew amber nude
    All YSL and TM
    Oxygene/ lanvin

Wink Re: Men, which fragrances marketed to women do you wear

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Do I detect fragrance snobbery here?

It's bad enough that guys here are subject to ridicule for wearing the very good Paris Hilton men's scents, but now you effectively snob all the macho guys who wear the very good Paris Hilton women's scents.

This may well bias your article, such that people will reply to you with scents that either have a certain snob value, or scents that the gurus (LT and Burr) have deemed safe for males to wear.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    .......mmmm agreement from a Paris Hilton For Men wearer

Some day, I plan on buying all the Paris Hilton frags.

I can put them right next to J.Lo's Deseo for Men.

Thumbs up Re: Men, which fragrances marketed to women do you wear

See my Wardrobe
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Around the winter holidays, I really enjoy wearing Winter Delice by Guerlain.
    Spring Rotation: Creed Himalaya, Creed Green Irish Tweed, Gucci Pour Homme II, L'Instant de Guerlain, Cool Water, Cool Water Frozen.

I am madly in love with Insolence and Midnight Poison. I also wear the wonderful CdG2.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    Straight, married, middle aged, with kids, and living in a major west coast city. I regularly wear Habanita, Carnal Flower, Bandit, Chanel Cuir de Russie, Givenchy III, Mitsouko, and Shalimar.
    Straight, married, middle aged, with kids and living in a minor town in Ireland. I regularly wear Jicky, Helmut Lang Eau de Parfum (Yeah, the woman's one!), Pamplelune, Le Feu d'Issey, Bandit and also pure rose oil. I'm 6' 4" built used to wrestle and I get a real kick when people cannot match the smell to the appearance! I have only ever been challenged once, by one of my wifes girlfriends!
    Revenge is Tribute

From my wardrobe:

Shalimar
    L'Heure Bleue
    Mitsouko
    No. 19

I've tested others but these are the ones I regularly wear.

EDIT: replied before reading your profile. I don't live in The USA obviously and don't think I really correspond to your stated requirements. But hey, these are the ones I wear, anyway.
    Last edited by Merlino; 5th May 2009 at 06:48 PM.
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Trussardi - Trussardi
    Mitsouko - Guerlain
    Kingdom - Alexander McQueen
    premier Figuier Extreme - L'Artisan Parfumeur
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Annick Goutal Heure Exquise EDP
    Annick Goutal Rose Absolue EDP
    Cacharel Anaïs Anaïs EDT
    Cartier Must de Cartier EDT (vintage 1981 formulation)
    Chanel Bois des Iles EDT
    Chanel Bois des Iles Parfum
    Chanel No. 5
    Chanel No. 19 EDP
    Chanel No. 19 EDT
    Chanel No. 19 Parfum
    Keiko Mecheri Jasmine EDP
    Keiko Mecheri Peau de Pêche EDP
    Paco Rabanne Calandre
    Prada EDP
    YSL Opium EDP
    YSL Opium EDT
    YSL Opium Secret de Parfum EDP
    YSL Rive Gauche EDT (vintage 1971 formulation)
    YSL Rive Gauche EDT (2003 reformulation)
    YSL Rive Gauche Eau de Toilette Intense
    YSL Rive Gauche EDP
    Yves Rocher Ispahan
    Yves Rocher Voile d’Ambre EDP

Lives in USA, Urban Area CHECK
    lots of testosterone CHECK
    CONTROLS the remote
    I DON'T WATCH TV
    Definitely from Mars
    DEFINITELY NOT
    Athletic CHECK
    savvy, sophisticated, educated CHECK, CHECK, CHECK

scentemental

Quote Originally Posted by isaacrn View Post
    Penhaligon's Malabah alone or layered with Hammam Bouquet
    Ooh. Yumm. I'll have to try that. What ratio do you use?
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post
    Lives in USA, Urban Area CHECK
    lots of testosterone CHECK
    CONTROLS the remote I DON'T WATCH TV
    Definitely from Mars DEFINITELY NOT
    Athletic CHECK
    savvy, sophisticated, educated CHECK, CHECK, CHECK

scentemental

Hey Renato : re paris hilton no snobbery.LOL, .She just won a FIFI award I SPECIFIIED high end luxury fragrances. so chill
    — Daphne du Maurier

I like wearing Mitsouko (the greatest fragrance ever), Eau de Courreges and Diorella.

I don't give a crap if a fragrance is meant for women or men. If it smells good, I'll wear it!

Without the sirens of Azuree guiding me on, I'd be but a wreck on the rocks of Aramis.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 7th May 2009 at 02:56 AM.

I fit the bill. I'm an athletic guy, love boxing and football, have two post-grad degrees, and live in Chicago.

I find that most people tell me my frag is feminine when i'm wearing a men's frag, but when i wear a women's frag they tend to love it. I coudl care less who a frag is marketed towards, but am more concerned that something not be OVERTLY and totally feminine.

Right now there are several amazing womens' frags that have not only got me excited, but which women compliment all the time:

- CK Obsession Night for Women
    - Kenzo Jungle l'Elephant
    - Dior Escale a Portofino - left me speechless
    - Tom Ford Black Orchid Voile de Fleur
    - Guerlain's Shalimar and Mitsuoko (though not as fond of these as others on this site)

Presently none, nut it would be great if a male/unisex version of Bvlgari's Jasmin Noir would be invented, as already the female version is almost suitable for male wear.

Just thought I should add Estee Lauder's Knowing, as it arrived today and I plan on wearing it regularly. I also know some other men on the forum wear this one, too.

Shalimar
    Bellodgia
    Obsession Night for Women
    Black Orchid Voile de Fleur
    Set Sail St. Barts for Women

I agree with D&G Light Blue for women. The men's version is crap.

I most defintely control the remote. And I've booby trapped it just in case some female-gendered individual gets the crazy idea to attempt to wrest it from my hairy monkey fingers.

However, as I compiled this list, I was overcome by a girly frisson that made my Y chromosome wince.

My list:
    Sous le Vent
    Mitsouko
    Cuir de Russe
    Black Orchid
    Infusion d'Iris
    Coromandel
    The Pour Un Ete
    Last edited by Snafoo; 8th May 2009 at 10:37 AM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Jicky
    Mitsouko
    PdN Odalisque
    Calypso Christian Celle Calypso Marine
    A La Nuit

I'm 6'4 and muscular . Um I hate sports but I do work out often and I like to wear the folowing womens fragrances
    -Escape Calvin Klein
    -Blue Ralph Lauren
    -Emporio Armani She