Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Which is the best ROSE fragrance (for men or unisex)?

Which is the best ROSE fragrance (for men or unisex)?

I experienced one I think is good, Voleur de Roses (1993) by L'Artisan Parfumeur http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121681.html

Default Re: Which is the best ROSE fragrance (for men or unisex)?

I can suggest a few:
    Montale Black Aoud
    Odori Zafferano (not a mistake, suppose to be saffron but it's all roses to me)
    Ormonde Jayne Ta'if (marketed as feminine but totally wearable)
    Aramis 900 (other things going on there with the rose but worth a try in this category)
    ELdO Rossy de Palma
    Last edited by cpk; 4th May 2009 at 10:40 PM.

This topic comes up nearly once a month it seems. I never get tired of typing, "HAMMAM BOUQUET". There, it is done.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Hej!

There are a lot of rose threads if you search for "rose" in advanced search mode. Search for "rose" in the title.

One of my favourite threads is
    http://community.basenotes.net/showt...rehensive+rose

Also check the Une Rose thread by Ruggles that is actual right now.

Good luck!
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

hmm... interesting. So there's a rose note in Aramis 900. I mention only Aramis because the other niche stuff hard to find.

The other interesting designer scent with a discernible hint of rose I know of is Alain Delon's Iquitos.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Domenico Caraceni (1913). A powerhouse rose that takes no prisoners.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Montale, Attar is really nice. So is Amouage, Lyric.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAttorney View Post
    Montale, Attar is really nice. So is Amouage, Lyric.
    Oh man, I must second Lyric Man. I wore it fully today with little abandon (prob 6+ sprays to the chest and neck) and it totally transformed into the most incredible, almost creamy rose. I was really pleased with how it transformed through the day. I put M7 over it tonight and it just turned into a new, incredible creature. I think I'll need to layer the two for a day soon. Great stuff.

I went to Saks at lunch to say hi to my SA there. She generally hates rose scents but loved it on me (made her get up in it). She gave me a nice 10ml pour of Clive Christian No. 1 so she musta really liked it!
    Last edited by jrd4t; 5th May 2009 at 12:09 AM.

Black Auod and Attar from Montale , Ungaro lll for something cheap.

Domenico "The Dominator" Caraceni
    Czech & Speake - No. 88

OK, I'll add Paestum Rose by Eau d'Italie. Woods, fruit, and rose beautifully blended. For a citrus cologne with a rose accord I'd endorse AdP Colonia.

Lyric Man is very nice but my go to rose scent is Rose Poivree. It has a nice touch of spice and just enough dirtiness to it to make it interesting. For a light rose Yuzu Rouge is also very good. Yuzu, rose, a touch of tea make a refreshing and classy summer cologne.
    Last edited by surreality; 5th May 2009 at 12:33 AM.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Penhaligon's Hammam Bouqet
    Czech and Speak #88
    Le Labo Rose 31
    Czech and Speak Dark Rose

I've ultimately decided it doesn't quite work on me, but Tauer's Incense RosÚ is a wonderful frag.

Totally agree on Black Aoud, Paestum Rose, and Domenico Caraceni.

Others worth mentioning: Parfums de Rosine's Twill Rose, Washington Tremlett's Black Tie, and C&S's Dark Rose (kinda Black Aoud Lite).

But my go-to rose is No. 88

I'm late to arrive, but I will second the recs for:

Domenico Caraceni - Dark, beautiful, complete
    L'Artisan Voleur de Roses - Clean and sweet, with just a touch of spice
    Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa - Classy lemon, rose, and leather.
    C&S No. 88 - Rose and incense and woodiness make for a tasteful "headshop" feel
    Montale Attar - "Magic", "sparkling", "exquisite"... come to mind

And I will add Penhaligon's Castile - Rose with neroli/orange flower and musk. Just gorgeous.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

I love Montale's Aoud Damascus. Similar to C&S's Dark Rose in the opening at least.

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    Domenico Caraceni (1913). A powerhouse rose that takes no prisoners.
    Could you please describe this fragrance? I'm looking for a rose scent and your description is right down my alley.
    Don a wig of larks and fly!

Basenotes Plus

DSH Perfume dirty Rose. Dawn does rose really, really well & you can order samples.
    https://www.dshperfumes.com/collecti...p?page=17&id=4
    "dirty ROSE for men (Natural)
    Composition*
    Top notes: Bergamot, Egyptian Rose Geranium, Mastic, Pimento Berry, Pink Peppercorn, Rosewood (bois de rose)
    Middle notes: Buddahwood, Centifolia Rose Absolute, Gallica Rose Otto, Labdanum, Olibanum (Frankincense), Orris, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Virginia Cedar
    Base notes: Ambergris, Brazilian Vetiver, Cassis Bud, Guiacwood, Hiba Cedarwood, Leather, Myrrh Gum, Oude (Agarwood), Styrax, Tobacco Absolute, Treemoss"

Neil Morris does a really good rose for men too.
    Flowers For Men: Rose
    http://www.neilmorrisfragrances.com/vault_page2.html
    His has a stunning white rose, which is really subtle & unusual in a mens scent.
    Last edited by RHM; 5th May 2009 at 01:03 AM.

I have a great love of rose fragrances. In my quest to find the rose fragrance I've instead found a wide variety of rose fragrances excellent in different ways.

If you like Voleur de Roses, I recommend Tom Ford's Noir de Noir, a fruity, foody patchouli, saffron and rose; Montale's Black Aoud a jammy patchouli-heavy rose; Czech & Speake's No. 88, a complex fragrance that has geranium, rose, sandalwood and a touch of patchouli. To a lesser extent I'd recommend Diptyque's Opone, a transparent take on the saffron, rose and patchouli accord. From others' descriptions, Frederic Malle's Une Rose might also be to your tastes.

Those are just the rose fragrances I recommend if you like Voleur de Roses.

There are many I'd also recommend at least trying, such as the sibling fragrances of Paestum Rose, by Eau D'Italie, and Elixir, by Penhaglion's. They're different but share a similarly transparent interpretation of rose mixed with smoky, cedar-laden spices. The latter has a hint of a frankincense note which intrigued me, but I need to give it a full wearing before I can comment on Elixir's sillage and longevity. Paestum Rose is very reliable in those aspects.

Serge Lutens' Rose de Nuit is a fascinating dark rose chypre, rich, mossy, dry and animalic. Mike Perez has described No. 88 as "evil" smelling, and for me that fits Rose de Nuit quite well. Also by Lutens, yet Rose de Nuit's opposite, is Sa Majeste La Rose a lush and hyper-realistic rose. It's the purest rose I've smelled; one right out of the garden.

Personally my experience with Domeneco Caraceni differs from the others here. To me it's frankincense, cypress and only a rather understated rose note. Dry, transparent and oddly papery. Still good, but not a "rose" fragrance to my nose.

Basenotes Plus

Mike P says C & S No. 88 is "evil smelling" I MUST smell this!

Ditto on Une Rose, don't know how I forgot to mention that one.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Merbert View Post
    Could you please describe this fragrance? I'm looking for a rose scent and your description is right down my alley.
    For me it opens with an explosion of intensely dark rose with a definite background of citrus. I do not agree that the rose absolute begins as a middle note. This opening lasts for almost 10 minutes with a slow melding into a little more subdued but still strongly evident dark rose now wrapped in cured leaf tobacco. The dark rose is central right up to and into the drydown where it is finally experienced through a twining with cypress, frankincense and the tobacco leaf, all taking on equality with the dark rose at this point. Sillage, after the radiant opening, is not overly expansive but it is very evident up close. Some detect geranium but I cannot differentiate it from the dark rose.

There is no doubt about it. Dark rose is the theme and dark rose is the star. Domenico Caraceni 1913 is a fist of steel inside a soft, yielding glove. It is Uncle Dan's friendly but inescapable grasp of a handshake. Two sprays last 10-12 hours on me and I can still clearly detect it after showering the night of the day I wore it and still somewhat after I shower the next morning. I would hesitate overspritzing this one as I feel it could become overwhelming.
    Last edited by kbe; 5th May 2009 at 02:48 AM.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

i while I go i started a quest for the best rose I could find in the market. I sampled pretty much everything (except for C&S Dark Rose which was out of production at the time) and here is what I learned.

Paestum Rose. A herbal, smokey interpretation of rose. I think the Mediterranean herbs and the rose do not go well together.
    Rose 31 is a wonderful sexy fragrance, though the rose is almost non-existent in there.
    Voleur de Roses and Fresh Cannabis Rose. These had too much Patcoulli (and Cannabis)
    Roses Petals Montale. This had, IMO, the best balance between rose, aoud, and masculinity from all the oud offerings.
    C&S88 A true work of art. However, it was dificult for me to wear it.
    Rose d'Homme by les parfumes de Rosine. A watered down 88 IMO.
    Roses Musk. This is a crisp, sharp intepretetation of rose. for a while, it was my favorite rose based perfume.
    Rose Poivree. A wonderful scent, but waay to kinky for me
    Red Series: rose CdG. An easy going fruity rose, perfect for summer.

However, once i tried Domenico Caraceni, my hunger for rose was satisfied. True, the rose is not the main note in here, and when coupled with the geranium, it may have a rather passive attitude compared to other offerings. But DC is also more complex than the average rose fragrance, as the rose does not dominate, but it blends within the structure. I found 100% true what LS has written about it:
    With their signature fragrance, Domenico Caraceni show us how the phrase 'impeccably tailored' can be applied to perfume. The composition, which makes us think of the classic chypres, is as discreetly elegant as it is full of character. Far it be from us to imply that Caraceni’s eponymous scent is all about tradition. The classically structured composition has a distinctly modern, even edgy feel, largely because of the presence of frankincense. The note, apparent from start to finish, combines beautifully with the citrus top notes, creating an effect that is husky-sweet, almost smoky. In the heart of the fragrance, it enriches geranium, rose and tobacco, adding an earthy, spicy undertone to the sultry mix. The piquancy is further emphasized by the cypress note, with its gloriously mentholated, almost pine-like aroma. The base notes of Domenico Caraceni are the mossy-ambery delight and will make chypre-lovers very happy indeed. Although originally meant for men, Domenico Caraceni would be as wonderful on a woman as – you guessed it! - an impeccably tailored suit.
    Last edited by irish; 5th May 2009 at 03:11 AM.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    I went to Saks at lunch to say hi to my SA there. She generally hates rose scents but loved it on me (made her get up in it). She gave me a nice 10ml pour of Clive Christian No. 1 so she musta really liked it!
    No 1 for men? Man, it's really a very great scent. Luckily I have a friend who sells it in my country, so I hope I'll get a generous sample too - I'll never have the money to buy it.

I know people have mentioned it already, but I have to agree: Rose 31 is awesome. I wear it more than Black Aoud these days.
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

My vote is #88. A "very" reserved Oriental lady once chased down my husband to ask him what he was wearing and pressed a pen and paper into his hand and asked him to write it down for her. This from a woman who barely spoke or showed any emotion other than polite disinterest in the 30+ times we saw her. Later, another lady approached and asked. Not to mention that I adore him in it! Czech and Speake did it best for men in my humble opinion. Although I hear women wear it too? All I know is that he smells good enough in it that I must beware of other women hovering around him, lol.

My pick: Washington Tremlett's Black Tie. A very debonair rose... the scent of a well groomed, impeccably-dressed man.

surprized to see to no loving for Chanel Egoiste yet..
    "You smell kinda pretty! Wanna Smell me ?"
    - Johnny Bravo

Wardrobe

I would have to second/third Attar... to me it is possibly the "truest" incarnation of the rose note, but no 88 is more of a blended powerhouse
    At your service

My favorite masculine rose fragrances are:

Montale Black Aoud
    Montale Attar
    Le Labo Rose 31
    Tom Ford Noir de Noir

A great rose fragrance to layer with stronger fragrances is Creed's Fleur de The Rose Bulgare (from Creed's Private Collection). I personally can't wear it on it's own (it veers to the feminine side) but it is one of the freshest, dewiest (is that a word?), TRUE to the flower smelling fragrances I've ever encountered.
    Last edited by acjigga; 5th May 2009 at 01:25 PM.
    "Smell with your nose, not your ears." - Xerjoff Nio, Xerjoff 1861, Profumum Roma Acqua Viva, Neil Morris for Takashimaya, Sonoma Scent Studio Champagne de Bois EDP, Chanel Egoiste Platinum, Creed Green Irish Tweed, YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme, YSL Opium Pour Homme EDP, Comme des Garcons Kyoto, Acqua di Parma Oud, Slumberhouse Jeke, Xerjoff Fars and Xerjoff Gao

My favorite rose fragrances are Le Labo Rose 31, Montale Black Aoud, Amouage Lyric Man, and Amouage Homage Attar.

The best rose out of all of those is Homage Attar. This is THE most beautiful rose scent I have ever smelled.

If you like a spicy wet rose scents like Voleur de Roses, I suggest trying Rose Poirvee by the different company. IMO they both have that "dirty rose" effect.

I think Voleur de Roses is a georgeous fragrance. Zino Davidoff is also a rose-noted fragrance and is really enjoyable year round.

Of the Montales I've tried:

Attar - everything that previous posters have mentioned

Aoud Damascus - a bit richer than Attar, not as nose-hair-tickling in the top notes

Roses Musk - on the femme side, but a man who really liked this could make it work

Now for an ultra-butch rose that I haven't seen mentioned yet: Tenere by Paco Rabanne. Dry and handsome.

Quote Originally Posted by mcjra View Post
    ....and Amouage Homage Attar.

The best rose out of all of those is Homage Attar. This is THE most beautiful rose scent I have ever smelled..

Oh - how did I forget Homage? I think since it's reserved only for really special occasions, it didn't cross my mind, but I agree that it's one of the most spectacular rose scent, and beautifully blended. Its evolution is also stunning.

Gotta say I'm digging the old "La Perla".
    "We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams"

From my rose bush:
    Malle's Une Rose
    Etat Libre's Rossy de Palma
    and Knowing by Lauder.
    Why hasn't anyone done a gourmand rose? Or have they?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    CdG Rose: rose, vanilla and a big raspberry note. Smells like dessert. I've also heard that PG's Brulure de Rose is also foody.
    Last edited by Sugandaraja; 5th May 2009 at 11:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    From my rose bush:
    Malle's Une Rose
    Etat Libre's Rossy de Palma
    and Knowing by Lauder.
    Rose Praline is now at Aedes, and it sounds kind of Gourmand

http://www.aedes.com/product.php?product_id=2470
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 5th May 2009 at 11:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    Rose Praline is now at Aedes, and it sounds kind of Gourmand

http://www.aedes.com/product.php?product_id=2470
    Thanks for the tip, sounds interesting.

My favorite rose is Rose Poivree

I tried:
    Hammam Bouquet - smells more like fermenting fruit to me
    C&S No 88 - The dry down is nice but it is a rough ride getting there
    Black Aoud - I will wear this (since I have 5ml of it) but it reminds me of nice scented bug spray.

I would like to try Le Labo Rose 31 some day also

...but Rose Poirvree is the one that does it for me.

don't know if it's any good, but it looks interesting

LYRIC MAN from Amouage

Lyric, love it!!!

If you like/wished you could like Noir de Noir, you owe it to yourself to sample Caron Secret Oud.........it starts off rich, sweet, opulent and very boozy....on the dry down you'll get wafts of something that will remind you of NdN, but much more wearable (for me anyway), and not as OTT....a beautiful fragrance

this truly was the surprise find of our trip, it has me in its grasp..........

Notes: OUD WOOD, Atlas CEDARWOOD, SAFFRON MUSK, JATAMANSI, JASMINE, DAMASK ROSE ABSOLUTE, Grey-haired ROCKROSE*, AMBER

From my garden:

Black Aoud
    West Side
    Lumiere Noire Pour Homme
    L'ombre Dans L'eau
    Voleur de Roses
    Attar by Montale

Not in my garden but also great:
    No 89 by Floris (wishlist)
    Royal Oud by Armani Prive
    Rose Poivree by The Different Company
    Oliban by Keiko Micheri
    Lyric Man by Amoauge
    Noir de Noir by Tom Ford (wishlist)
    Last edited by volley2; 24th May 2011 at 10:10 AM.

I'll also recommend Montale for a masculine rose..........sample and take your pick, there's something for everyone

Le Labo Rose 31 is also must try...........
    Last edited by Str8_SHAVER; 24th May 2011 at 10:03 AM.

Three enjoyable masculine rose frags for me would be:

Creed - Windsor
    Le Labo - Rose 31
    Montale - Aoud Damascus

For me: Rosissimo by Parfums Des Rosine

Rose Oud by Kilian

... and Lyric Man, although it is a distant 2nd since the thread is about unisex or masculine roses.

I need to try Homage and Tribute Attars from Amouage, does ANYONE offer a sample of these???

Ungaro III

Rive Gauche.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post
    ...No 89 by Floris (wishlist...
    Wishlist too.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Easy.. CHANEL EGOISTE.

I'd go with Czech & Speake no. 88, Washington Tremlett Black Tie, and for a zingy, unisex rose water, Creed Fleur de The Rose Bulgare

Quote Originally Posted by Dorje123 View Post
    Rose Oud by Kilian

... and Lyric Man, although it is a distant 2nd since the thread is about unisex or masculine roses.

I need to try Homage and Tribute Attars from Amouage, does ANYONE offer a sample of these???
    You can order them from luckyscents website. They tell you on the Homage page that the vial will be small taking into consideration the density of the oil. Believe me it's just a very few drops but then again, you are cautioned to use a tooth pick to apply it. Also not to sniff the open container else you get olfactory overload. Wish I'd read that before I DID It! lol

I should mention also, I made the mistake of getting a sample of FM's Portrait of a Lady. Best smelling stuff I've EVER smelled in the way of Roses. Went into the city to their boutique and blew a pocketful O' Money while getting that one. I should have left well enough alone. Maybe you'll have better scents that I did.
    Last edited by Hey.its.me; 25th May 2011 at 03:17 AM.

For me, it has to be Le Labo Rose 31. Got introduced to it last year and have since gone through a bottle. Not too spicy or powdery and suitable for both warm and cool weather.

Of I had tried (Some imaginary visual description here)

Domenico Caraceni - My sister think it is a sublime scent (on a paper). Definitely a single's scent, a scent of a loner by her description. When I wore it she described it was a loud soapy scent lol.
    Black Aoud - Spice cloud everywhere!
    Voleur de Roses - Thought as a imaginary Casino Royale opening type animation, where dark red roses bloom around me.
    C&S No.88 current formulation - At first : Victorian gentleman's secret club with a prostitute. Later : Lights-off billiard room with a charcoal suit figure who is leaning to his billiard table.

So I would pick Domenico Caraceni on paper for the best rose.

Quote Originally Posted by ironduke View Post
    C&S No.88 current formulation - At first : Victorian gentleman's secret club with a prostitute. Later : Lights-off billiard room with a charcoal suit figure who is leaning to his billiard table.
    Lol!! That was a good one

I don't know about best but Maison Francis Kurkdjian's Cologne pour le Soir is a great rose scent. The spring wild roses are just beginning to bloom in the PacNW, those little light purple ones about the size of a fingernail, and CplS smells a lot like them.

I'm not long into the fragrance game but I must admit this is a note I'm finding a challenge. Love the roses in my garden, but on my skin? Sampled a few, Several Montales, Domenico Caraceni 1913 (wanted to love this, respect it, but it doesn't agree with me for some reason) and Washington Tremlett's Black Tie. Black Tie is probably the only one to date I could see myself wearing on a regular basis. Given my preference for Black Tie any suggestions for what I might look at trying?

Lyric and Le Labo Rose 31