Code of Conduct

Default I Just Tried Kouros

Recently i became rather curious and interested in Kouros. So after browsing the forums and reading the reviews i decided to try this controversial classic. I just got back from the mall with 2 sprays of it on my arm. For me Kouros is really good. I don't detect any kind of dirtiness/urinal cakes/BO that's commonly described over here. I agree its strong and intense with good sillage. The initial topnotes for me were rather earthy but not dirty. I've read over here that the top notes were always the ones that put ppl off and the dry down is worth waiting for. Well if i already like it now 30 mins after spraying i wonder how much i'll love the drydown. But i decided against buying it because i promised myself and my gf to ease off buying frags for a few months. So right now i will have to really resist the urge to go out and get a small bottle.

Previously i tried Kouros but i hated it..but i think this could be caused by the fact that i tried all the ysl men's frags at one go on paper..after that i became quite scared to try kouros (not helped by the various dirty/urine associations i read about here). I'm quite amazed how i made a total u-turn about Kouros. Another ysl frag...YSL Pour Homme Haute Concentration that i purchased i still do not like. YSL PH HC for me smells musty and dirty and even stronger than Kouros. But i'll be vigilant and try to wear it more often.

Just for opinions sake...the department store sells Kouros at a premium price. The stock is new, manufactured in mid 2008. I could get it cheaper at the smaller perfume shops but the stock is older maybe between 2005-2007, all boxed and sealed in plastic and authentic. So if i do get Kouros in the future should i get the newer stock at the department store or older stock from the cheaper perfume shop?

Sorry for the long post. I just feel really amazed right now that something described in so many different ways as dirty could smell so good to me. Funny thing is that in my country its quite rare for the average joe to wear perfume. We eat a lot of spicy food. Our climate is hot n humid all year round. Combine all this up and try to imagine the BO that fills the air. Kouros does not smell anything like the BO i smell daily. Some time in the future i predict seeing a blue and white box nestled snugly between M7 and Opium in my drawer.

Sur la Plage

Default Re: I Just Tried Kouros

Congratulations and welcome to the Kouros Club!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Nice post. I hope you get yourself a bottle soon.

I recently rediscovered this beauty and I am actually wearing it to work today. The key to me with Kouros is application. If I over apply it, certain notes overpower the rest of the fragrance. I apply using common sense based on the weather, humidity, situation....

Here at basenotes it has sort of a mythic reputation...but IMO...this beast is actually very attractive and friendly.

I would opt for the cheaper priced Kouros bottle. But you have to pay attention to how those cheaper bottles are stored. If they are stored in the heat and/or in direct sunlight, I would stay away. Otherwise, you're good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by mcjra View Post
    I would opt for the cheaper priced Kouros bottle. But you have to pay attention to how those cheaper bottles are stored. If they are stored in the heat and/or in direct sunlight, I would stay away. Otherwise, you're good to go.
    I do feel inclined to go for the cheaper one. The cheaper ones are stored in a glass display case. Light and heat from fluorescent lights but with the a/c on as the shop is in a mall. all unopened in their boxes sealed with plastic.

Should be alright yeah?
    Last edited by JoNnY 4; 5th May 2009 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JoNnY 4 View Post
    I do feel inclined to go for the cheaper one. The cheaper ones are stored in a glass display case. Light and heat from fluorescent lights but with the a/c on as the shop is in a mall. all unopened in their boxes sealed with plastic.

Should be alright yeah?
    That should be fine, boxed and a/c are all you need to keep a fragrance fresh!

Kouros is utterly gross, but its cohort, Body, is simply amazing.

Kouros for sure
    I still dont understand how it lost to Havana in the March Madness contest
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

i tried that today it okie but i find it very older

Kouros is like nectar from heaven, it is such a divine scent. I am so pleased you experienced its beauty without being predisposed to finding the "dirtiness" so often associated with it.
    I would definitely buy the older stock, as long as it is sealed and the store seems reputable. Not only is it cheaper, but it also is less likely to have been re-orchestrated.
    Oh, I just want to hug you. Go forth and purchase Kouros, may the force (we Kouros lovers) be with you
    Last edited by Brielle87; 5th May 2009 at 06:04 PM.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

Quote Originally Posted by Brielle87 View Post
    Oh, I just want to hug you.
    Well, I don't! ...(that was a joke). Congratulations, though, really. I have the utmost respect for this fragrance and anyone who can enjoy it. It is a marvel how you (all of you Kouros lovers) do it. To me, it truly is a remarkable work of art, a modern version of Dorian Gray. Half of me would sell my soul for that certain je ne sais quoi but the other half is repulsed by a sensation similar to sniffing ammonia. I have a bottle, too, which I don't really want to get rid of...and I don't really want to wear either. Funny how it just sits there. I will pick it up, tempted to try it again, and place it right back. I just can't do it.
    Last edited by cbstarker; 5th May 2009 at 07:02 PM.
    Currently looking for Ava Luxe Midnight Violet

Visit my offsite sales thread for other items for sale - just updated!
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=265#265

I bought my best man a bottle of Kouros from Wal-mart online. He really appreciated the alpha-male apex scent.
    Don't Smell the Flowers,
    They're an Evil Drug to Make You Lose Your Mind --- Dio

Quote Originally Posted by Brielle87 View Post
    I would definitely buy the older stock, as long as it is sealed and the store seems reputable. Not only is it cheaper, but it also is less likely to have been re-orchestrated.
    YES. I totally agree. I would suspect that the majority of oakmoss has been diluted with a synthetic oakmoss accord in newer formulations.

I bought a 3.3 oz bottle of Kouros Cologne Sport on eBay and used it today for the first time. I'm fairly new to fragrances, and I don't know how I feel about it yet, but for $12 it's not a big deal if I don't end up liking it. However, I don't think it smells dirty or anything like that.
    Last edited by Delphium; 6th May 2009 at 02:43 AM.

Definitely buy the cheaper stuff - if it stayed in the box, you've got nothing to worry about.

About Kouros smelling dirty, yes it does, but the top notes smell clean - that's what makes it such an interesting and unconventional fragrance! Don't worry - people aren't going to think you didn't wash - they'll just think you're not afraid to stand out among the myriad of Armani Acqui da Gio and Polo Sport wearers of the world. I love Kouros because it's both elegant and raunchy at the same time. To hell with others - go out and enjoy your "dirty" cologne! And while you're at it, go pick up the other great dirty men's fragrance - the mighty YATAGAN!! Enjoy.

After reading about Kouros here in BN, I was reminded of enjoying it in my youth, must be nearly 25 years ago.

I tried it again in a local shop and was immediately transported back to the early eighties with this unique clean/dirty, sweet/citric fantastically distinguishable scent. I bought a bottle there and then, and have used it may times since. It does not fail to elicit great memories and remains a magnificent fragrance.

One question though, now that I am a little more concerned about the compisition of a scent (rather than just net result), I am intrigued as to the individual notes in Kouros. Basenotes lists only clove, oakmoss and incense but surely there must be many more than that. I think I get of notes citrus, tonka, musk, honey, amber, vanilla and, of all scents, there must be civet in there somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    Definitely buy the cheaper stuff - if it stayed in the box, you've got nothing to worry about.

About Kouros smelling dirty, yes it does, but the top notes smell clean - that's what makes it such an interesting and unconventional fragrance! Don't worry - people aren't going to think you didn't wash - they'll just think you're not afraid to stand out among the myriad of Armani Acqui da Gio and Polo Sport wearers of the world. I love Kouros because it's both elegant and raunchy at the same time. To hell with others - go out and enjoy your "dirty" cologne! And while you're at it, go pick up the other great dirty men's fragrance - the mighty YATAGAN!! Enjoy.
    I have to say, Yatagan doesn't smell dirty to me the way Kouros does. Instead, it smells...powerfully astringent. But in a heavy way, rather than the light astringency of citrus.

Kouros to me has always smelled like a cleaned gym locker room. Recently Pine-sol'd and scrubbed, but with quite a few spots left untouched and not all the hairs removed from the drains. Granted, the man wearing this is the toned, fit and well-dressed man who has just emerged from that gym.

I don't detect any kind of dirtiness/urinal cakes/BO that's commonly described over here.
    Perhaps it's because in our region the urinal cakes smell differently. Mostly fruity or floral smells in my country. Thus, we don't get that association. It is however very intense in the beginning and may induce gag reflex for some people. I plan to wear it more often for casual activities.

BTW, try to spritz Kouros in a room, leave the room, and return after 15 minutes. I love the smell. Has anyone tried?

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy97 View Post
    After reading about Kouros here in BN, I was reminded of enjoying it in my youth, must be nearly 25 years ago.

I tried it again in a local shop and was immediately transported back to the early eighties with this unique clean/dirty, sweet/citric fantastically distinguishable scent. I bought a bottle there and then, and have used it may times since. It does not fail to elicit great memories and remains a magnificent fragrance.

One question though, now that I am a little more concerned about the compisition of a scent (rather than just net result), I am intrigued as to the individual notes in Kouros. Basenotes lists only clove, oakmoss and incense but surely there must be many more than that. I think I get of notes citrus, tonka, musk, honey, amber, vanilla and, of all scents, there must be civet in there somewhere?
    I had the same question about YSL Pour Homme Haute Concentration. Osmoz listed a more detail composition than BN but no info at all bout YSL PH HC..its described as dirtier and stronger than regular YSL PH...so there's must be something extra inside.

Quote Originally Posted by zliang View Post
    Perhaps it's because in our region the urinal cakes smell differently. Mostly fruity or floral smells in my country. Thus, we don't get that association. It is however very intense in the beginning and may induce gag reflex for some people. I plan to wear it more often for casual activities.

BTW, try to spritz Kouros in a room, leave the room, and return after 15 minutes. I love the smell. Has anyone tried?
    Yeah man floral fruity urinal cakes here too. Its interesting how different regions/countries associate scents with different things. Cartier Declaration=rendang daging for me..LOL..

Mr Dalliard

Kouros Energizing Tonique beats the original Kouros hands down. Buy it if you can find it.

Cartier Declaration=rendang daging for me..LOL..
    Whoa, I have to try that one. We can set a whole new scene of gourmand fragrances! No more vanilla and chocolate. We'd have rendang, belacan, and taucho notes! I'm quite sure it can compete with Kouros. LOL.

LOL....rendang ok...taucho..still ok...but belacan no way man!!...haha...if they do create a belacan perfume it will be the dirtiest most funky smelling thing ever...talking of rendang and belacan makes me hungry...