Code of Conduct

Default Gucci By Gucci Pour Homme (2008)

I got this as a gift a few months ago. Came with the whole set (edt, deo stick and shower gel). I have been using it on and off. Today i decided to give it one final go. Many have said it has one of the worst longevity and sillage ever..I AGREE 100%. The initial top notes were nice and refreshing in a woody non aquatic way. But that only lasted for 30mins to 1 hr. The heart notes and base notes were so hard to detect even with my nose right on my arm. And keep in mind i layered with the shower gel and deo stick. 2 hours later i can still detect something there faintly. To me Gucci By Gucci PH smells after 2-3 hours like overnight perfume..for example after applying a strong frag like M7 or Anteaus and coming home from work and taking a bath but still smelling it the next morning..this new Gucci is that weak. My apologies to all the fans of Gucci By Gucci Pour Homme but this is one frag i can't stand.

Default Re: Gucci By Gucci Pour Homme (2008)

No apology needed. Many of us agree with you. I actually prefer the woman's edp version. You should try it.

gucci is deep and a nice fragrance but isnt worth the price that they sell it for

i actually liked it quite a lot and would buy it without any hesitation. it has got this gloomy, dark, woody, ink like note which lingers on thruout the day. defintiely my type of scent..
    Last edited by jenson; 5th May 2009 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    i actually liked it quite a lot and would buy it without any hesitation. it has got this gloomy, dark, woody, ink like note which lingers on thruout the day. defintiely my type of scent..
    Its good that it can last on you considering that our almost similar climates actually make most frags more powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by JoNnY 4 View Post
    Its good that it can last on you considering that our almost similar climates actually make most frags more powerful.
    You shud try creed irish tweed because that also suits a warm and hot climate

I really like it other than the longevity issues , release an EDP version and I will be all over it

Sur la Plage

I totally agree with your assessment.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I agree and have a new tester vial (less one dabbing) if someone wants to swap to try it. Did not like it, so longevity was not an issue for me.

Quote Originally Posted by DeerMusk View Post
    You shud try creed irish tweed because that also suits a warm and hot climate
    Creeds are retailing for around $150 over here for 100ml bottle. Is that considered expensive of cheap?

I think it smells great when it first goes on, but yes it has the half life of a grand piano falling off the Empire State building.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

This is my friend's signature scent and I have to say that I enjoy smelling it on him. He complains that it only lasts a couple hours on him, so he has to reapply several times throughout the day.

An edp version of this would definately be worth buying, at it's current edt strength, not so much IMO.

Ugliest bottle I've ever seen. Worse than Ed Hardy.

Pretty boring scent too.

i also find it weak and didn´t like it, find it to fruity.
    "Wow, I've never smelled anything like that before."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    I really like it other than the longevity issues , release an EDP version and I will be all over it
    Abso-friggin'-lutely! Make it match the women's EDP in strength, and make sure that it solves the "turns to coca-cola" thing that mikeperez23 and several others have noted with that one. The result could be a big hit with quite a few guys. Definitely a worthy limited edition, at the very least.

Quote Originally Posted by JoNnY 4 View Post
    Creeds are retailing for around $150 over here for 100ml bottle. Is that considered expensive of cheap?
    More expensive than some, less expensive than others. Greed Irish Tweed is a great scent, however. You just have to make sure you're buying a real bottle. It's copied very frequently.
    Last edited by adonis; 6th May 2009 at 01:27 AM.

This scent is one of the bestseller everywhere I go. Just because it's Gucci, and the bottle is so cute -> young men love it. But just like you said, this scent is "nothing" scent. It's light, simple, so common, and the longervity is too average. I'm so tired of seeing these stupid scents like this coming out too many everyyear

Does any one know that the thread is about Gucci PH II ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by farno View Post
    I'm pretty sure we're all on the right page. I'm actually a fan of the "by" scent PH from 2008, which most people think lacks longevity, too aquatic, too generic, etc. The current crowd on this thread is actually going a bit easier on it than some past threads, which have been really harsh. That's why I think a men's EDP of the "by" scent would get a lot more respect than the EDT. I would certainly welcome it.

PH II (2007) already gets a lot of respect. I'm pretty sure the OP didn't mean that one.

Gucci by Gucci actually smells addicting in the top notes, especially with the pine. It's just that they disappear right away. How disappointing. If the longevity was better, I would notice it more. But what they say is true. Half an hour, then it's gone.

Quote Originally Posted by farno View Post
    This thread is about Gucci By Gucci Pour Homme (2008) not Gucci Pour Homme II.

I have to admit that it surprises me that there are still fans of GbGPH. well i used to be a fan of this scent...well maybe for the 1st 1 hour after 1st application..LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by xmen View Post
    No apology needed. Many of us agree with you. I actually prefer the woman's edp version. You should try it.
    I totally agree with your assessment on the women's version of Gucci by Gucci it is better then the men's. It does seem in my mind to be a problem with Gucci lately that get the women's version right but then so miss the mark with the men's counterpart.

What I don't understand is why does Gucci make the women's versions of their fragrances so strong that they always need to follow up with a flanker of the scent in a lighter version - am I the only one who notices that?
    Yet the men's always get a shallow whisper of a fragrance and never a stronger flanker.....???

Can any one answer that question.......

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    I totally agree with your assessment on the women's version of Gucci by Gucci it is better then the men's. It does seem in my mind to be a problem with Gucci lately that get the women's version right but then so miss the mark with the men's counterpart.

What I don't understand is why does Gucci make the women's versions of their fragrances so strong that they always need to follow up with a flanker of the scent in a lighter version - am I the only one who notices that?
    Yet the men's always get a shallow whisper of a fragrance and never a stronger flanker.....???

Can any one answer that question.......
    Well i guess its all bout the money. Make a lighter version 1st..spark the interest..then introduce a whole range of flankers. I think it was all in the marketing plan. So i would expect a Gucci by Gucci Pour Homme Intense/Extreme/Black coming out soon...or maybe all three..maybe they will throw in a Sport Version next summer.

I would seriously not mind getting a flanker if one comes out but only if its good.

I have this fragrance and have tried it many times and agree that, first of all, it doesn't last very long, but what I found to be most disappointing (considering how archetypal the name of the fragrance sounds) is how generic it is. It's so generic that I couldn't even compare it to anything else. Without the name this fragrance would not even show up as a blip on anyone's radar. I personally believe if you make this kind of archetypal named fragrance then you've got to make a statement such as Dior did with Dior Homme. Take some risks, and wait around to launch something that says something about your brand. Don't get wrapped up in this fashion company obsession with "newness". It's important for accessories and clothing but you shouldn't rush the science and chemistry of fragrance. They've done so well with their accessories (I also sell their watches) in the recent years that you'd think they would put a bit more effort into this other category. It's sad how companies keep coming up with "new" scents that are really not worth the effort...ok, well maybe "worth" isn't the right word considering how much money they probably make from all these "new" launches, but still... I'll probably pass on the bottle to one of my friends next time someone needs something.