Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Home Fragrance Oil

Does anyone here uses or used home fragrance oil? Like Bath & Body Works or The Body Shop sells in the small 10ml bottles, the oil that you pour 10 or so drops of in the warmer (kinda like a special cup with a flame in the bottom of it). I have some home fragrance oils from both of these stores, but at $7.50 at regular retail price they are not cheap. Sometimes the Bath & Body Works sells them for $3.00/bottle on sale/special promotion and they have this special coupon ($10.00 off a purchase of $30.00+) so it comes to $2.00/bottle if you buy 10 of them.

I prefer The Body Shop home fragrance oil because it smells more natural than the Bath & Body Works oil, it also seems to burn longer and does not leave the yellow risidue.

How do they manufacture home fragrance oil? Can I make my own home fragrance oil? And are there any other brands or places that sell home fragrance oil?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Home Fragrance Oil

I have a few from BBW that I like one of the house brand and a couple of the Slatkin ones and a couple from TBS. I've also bought several from Sweetcakes.com. Sweetcakes oils are cosmetic grade, so you can use them in lotions, soaps, perfumes or as home fragrances. I rarely use my oil burner anymore. I prefer my effusion/catalytic lampe - just mix a few drops with 91% alcohol. How oils they are depends on the scent, some burn cleaner than others. Do you put a bit of water in your oil burner as well? That might be something to try if you don't do that.

I'm sure you could make your own by blending essential and fragrance oils, but I'm not sure what carrier oil you'd want to use. Jojoba has an indefinite shelf life, but I am not sure about the smoking point if it's heated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jacona View Post
    I have a few from BBW that I like one of the house brand and a couple of the Slatkin ones and a couple from TBS. I've also bought several from Sweetcakes.com. Sweetcakes oils are cosmetic grade, so you can use them in lotions, soaps, perfumes or as home fragrances. I rarely use my oil burner anymore. I prefer my effusion/catalytic lampe - just mix a few drops with 91% alcohol. How oils they are depends on the scent, some burn cleaner than others. Do you put a bit of water in your oil burner as well? That might be something to try if you don't do that.

I'm sure you could make your own by blending essential and fragrance oils, but I'm not sure what carrier oil you'd want to use. Jojoba has an indefinite shelf life, but I am not sure about the smoking point if it's heated.
    I never heard about burning oil with water or with alcohol, do you have any more info on this and what kind of burner is required?

I recently bought 3 kinds of oil from www.saveonscents.com all of them are in Extreme Concentration and they burn really good. Theres Firewood oil, Very Sexy (Victoria's Secret) and another VS oil that I don't remember the name of. I tried 5 drops Very Sexy oil and it burned for around 28 minutes. I then tried the whole dropper/pippette and it burned for around 2 hours. I was very satisfied with the scent and it stayed in the room for 2 days, but my burner has this residue in the bowl that I can't seem to scrape or wash off.

Post Thanks / Like

I always use pure essential oils as find the premixed ones are too synthetic ,and not too keen on all those chemicals in the air !! And it is fun to make your own blends ! If you use a candle scent burner it is always a good idea to add some water to the dish as it helps the oils vapourise , and you can keep topping up the water to keep the scent going and make it last longer.I know what you mean about the sticky oil residue it is really difficult to remove (the water stops this happening !) try some white spirit to remove it but can be a real pig to get off !!

Quote Originally Posted by AlexPanzer View Post
    Does anyone here uses or used home fragrance oil? Like Bath & Body Works or The Body Shop sells in the small 10ml bottles, the oil that you pour 10 or so drops of in the warmer (kinda like a special cup with a flame in the bottom of it). I have some home fragrance oils from both of these stores, but at $7.50 at regular retail price they are not cheap. Sometimes the Bath & Body Works sells them for $3.00/bottle on sale/special promotion and they have this special coupon ($10.00 off a purchase of $30.00+) so it comes to $2.00/bottle if you buy 10 of them.

I prefer The Body Shop home fragrance oil because it smells more natural than the Bath & Body Works oil, it also seems to burn longer and does not leave the yellow risidue.

How do they manufacture home fragrance oil? Can I make my own home fragrance oil? And are there any other brands or places that sell home fragrance oil?
    I like oils from The Body Shop because they smell natural and it's not cloying. Bath & Body Work's oils give me headaches most of the time, I don't know what's up with their oils because it smells like burnt plastic a couple of minutes before it runs out so I make sure I turn my candle off halfway.

San Francisco Herb Co and her sister company on the east coast, Atlantic Spice Co, are great online places to shop for oils and assorted other related items. I feel that these places give the biggest bang for the buck. Minimum order is $30, but I just "stock up". Theirs is the best bergamot I have ever purchased...the smell of monarda leaves, not just lemon like so many other bergamots. And their lavender oils, both essential oils and fragrance oils, are THE best. Other favorites of mine are the neroli fragrance oil and the patchouli (thick, syrupy) essential oil. During the holidays, I love the Winterberry oil...sweet cranberry & evergreen. If you love to experiment with oils, these are the places to start!

Post Thanks / Like

I just recently (last week) purchased a lot of home fragrance oils from The Body Shop, maybe like over 600 bottles in total. I don't need this many for personal use and would like to find a forum or a board that is dedicated for home fragrance oils and maybe has a trade/sell section, because I would like to trade The Body Shop HFOs that I have for the The Body Shop HFOs that I don't have. The Body Shop oil almost never go on sale, only when they do seasonal clearances 2 times a year, so I grabbed this opportunity and bought all the oils that the stores had. So if you know of such board or a forum then please let me know about it.

I did some info digging and I think that Bath & Body Works adds something to the oils that leave this residue when the oils burns. The thing is that Save-On-Scent and Bath & Body Works leave the same residue when the HFO burns, I am pretty sure that Save-On-Scents does this so they use less of fragrance oil and make more profits, the same motive can be applied to Bath & Body Works. None of The Body Shop oil that I have tried (over 20 scents) leave this sticky residue. It could be mineral oil, but that is just my guess.

Another thing that I have found out is the following:
    I also purchased the Scent-Me Body Gel (scentless body wash) from The Body Shop because it was on clearance and I was intrigued by the concept of mixing my oils for the body wash. At the checkout they offered free oil, so I said YES because I thought that they would give me the whole 100ml big-size bottle that they had. But in turned out that they just took some oil from the bottle and mixed it with the body wash, I was kinda disappointed about me not having that whole big bottle for free, but then I let the thought go. The oil (strawberry) mixed in very quickly and easily, the store associate shook a bottle for approximately 5 seconds and it was ready. I tried mixing the Sandalwood oil that I bought from Save-On-Scents and it mixed very slowly, I had to shake it for about 30 seconds and the whole liquid became cloudy and more viscous. The cloud settled and became translucent a week later, but I can still see some tiny particles inside of the bottle, not so with The Body Shop oil.

I really tend to buy oils when they are on sale or on a promotion. Paying $7.50 for a tiny 10ml bottle is just ridiculous in my opinion. I think that a lot of stuff that is sold online has a high price because it gets sold with too many entities involved: manufacturer, large volume distributor, low volume distributor, vendor and then the customer has to pay the big price.

To who.nose:
    In my opinion the burnt plastic smell comes from the additive that they put into the oil that starts to kick in once the fragrance oil gets evaporated and then it creates the residue.

To vintage*red:
    I have the lavender essential oil and I don't really like how it smells: a bit too bitter for me.

i use the oils but prefer the granules that you can et they last a lot longer look better and smell just as good
    i get the oils for 0.99p so their nice and cheep and do the trick well