Code of Conduct

Default Where in the world is Jean LaPorte?

Whatever happened to Jean Laporte? He started two of the best niche lines, L'Artisan Parfumeur and Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier, he invented some of the most wonderful, innovative and ugly and beautiful fragrances around - and he sold both of them off and disappeared... There's nothing listed by him in the fragrance directory after MPG. Just curious. Is he old enough to have retired?
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Slumberhouse : Norne
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

Default Re: Where in the world is Jean LaPorte?

I saw an article recently - maybe here - and I think it said he was also instrumental in kicking off Sisley (which had Ellena's 'Eau de Campagne' in the 70s ) and that he was now semi-retired somewhere in France and 'receiving visitors'. If I can track the article down will add later. Could he have three houses in his CV !!??

P.S. JaimeB's blog entry was what I read - quite a story:

http://community.basenotes.net/blog.php?b=370
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 17th May 2009 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Update / Link

Default Re: Where in the world is Jean LaPorte?

Hey, tahnks for that Mr. R - and especially thanks to JaimieB! That basically answers most of my questions. So great to get all those details about this incredibly masterful and talented (if unlucky) pioneer of niche perfumery.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Slumberhouse : Norne
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS: