Code of Conduct

Default Tried Duc de Vervins and loved it and wondered I wonder what odysseusm thought

I tried this over the weekend, and fell completely and deeply in love with this Houbigant. It reminded me a bit of the strange note in Gli Odori, which I assume is celery seed, but to me smell like cumin. In DdV that note is not as pronounced, so where in Gli Odori it smells like sweaty sex in Duc de Vervins, it just smells like an interesting counterpoint to all the green.

Because I so strongly associate Odysseusm with green, men's fragrances, and because I had been reading about him on the women's boards, and so I had just been thinking of him, I wondered if he'd tried it.

Anyway, great stuff, I think.

Default Re: Tried Duc de Vervins and loved it and wondered I wonder what odysseusm thought

You should ask him

I actually tried this at Saks the other day on my arm. It's like a really fabulous re-interpretation of Polo Green for me. I'm not sure if I'll end up with a bottle myself, but I can say I do enjoy it!

Default Re: Tried Duc de Vervins and loved it and wondered I wonder what odysseusm thought

Well, here I am! Musta had the radar going.
    I haven't tried Duc de Vervins, but I've certainly heard about it. I think I read once that some find it similar to Gucci Nobile. If that is the case, I LOVE Gucci Nobile so I am further interested. I agree that Gli Odori has an odd note. I was quite disappointed in Gli Odori. I thought it would be a great "garrigue" style scent, but I too found that a cumin-like scent overpowered everything, and made it unpleasant in short order for me.
    I think you are lucky to have sampled it. One day I'll have the chance.
    But I have my own luck -- I own a treasured bottle of Houbigant's Fougere Royale and it is the crown jewel of my collection. That is a green scent with amazing depth, the archetype of a green fougere.
    Thanks for evoking my name with the green scene!
    Cheers,
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

If I buy a bottle I will happily send you a sample, if you'd like.

(I actually like that weird heavy cumin thing in Gli Odori. But it's the sort of thing I don't think I could wear in public. I'm too timid.)

Quote Originally Posted by debbborra View Post
    If I buy a bottle I will happily send you a sample, if you'd like.

(I actually like that weird heavy cumin thing in Gli Odori. But it's the sort of thing I don't think I could wear in public. I'm too timid.)
    That is a very kind offer, debbborra! If you do purchase a bottle, I'll enjoy a sample very much.
    Cumin just doesn't work on my skin. Just smells like old sweat. Other spices are OK, but not that one.
    Last edited by odysseusm; 6th May 2009 at 04:49 PM.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

This is one that's always on my borderline buy list. I try it and like it quite a bit, but I've not yet put down my $$

I see some similarities to Drakkar, but much more tasteful. classy and subtle.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye