Code of Conduct

Default Nobile Royalty - Gucci Nobile speaks from the grave

I finally caved in and bought a bottle of Nobile Royalty today and MAN! what a surprise.
    This fragrance is, as I suspected, a bit of a knockoff of Gucci Nobile -and even better: it has hints of Havana as well. (more Nobile than Havana)

My bottle of Gucci Nobile came to its sad end about four years ago and I have not been able to track down another bottle without a HEFTY price tag.

Nobile Royalty can be found for $25 or less and you get the best of two worlds: Nobile and Havana.
    Depending on your taste, that can be great news...or the worst thing ever.

Default Re: Nobile Royalty - Gucci Nobile speaks from the grave

I've heard this linkage before, thanks for the reminder. Gucci Nobile is a fantastic scent. I hoard my little bottle and use it sparingly. I will be on the look-out for this knock-off, just to see what it is like and how it compares.
    Cheers,
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

hmmm... Nobile and Havana combined...sounds lethal!!!

Anyway, Gucci Nobile is often underrated, so I'm truly glad to find fellow fans of this wonderful classic here on Basenotes.

Hey Manuel!
    thanks again for everything Im still thinking of how to repay you
    have you tried the EdT or EdP of this frag

also, does it smell better than it costs in terms of quality/longevity/sillage?
    Last edited by Hasupk@gmail.com; 6th May 2009 at 12:27 PM.
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Quote Originally Posted by Hasupk@gmail.com View Post
    Hey Manuel!
    thanks again for everything Im still thinking of how to repay you
    have you tried the EdT or EdP of this frag

also, does it smell better than it costs in terms of quality/longevity/sillage?
    Bro, no worries. Since we're neighbors, maybe we can do Iftar together (insh.A.)

I have the EdP, I wasn't aware of an EdT. But as far as quality/longevity/silage goes: For the price it cannot be beat. You ought to find it all over ebay or at any well stocked brick & mortar perfume shop.

Just received my Nobile Royalty bottle today. What a deal - $7.50 and $8 shipping from parfum1 while they had their 25% off sale. Even at $10 it's quite a deal.

I don't recall the smell of the original Gucci Nobile, so I don't know how close the scent is. Nobile Royalty has a pretty strong but blended tobacco note in for the first 2 hours, then it disappears and the concoction dries to woodsy-clean.

All in all, not bad.

Nobile Royalty also has a nice, healthy dose of rosewood that stays persistent alongside a slightly sweet (i.e. "white") musky accord, lurking in the background. This is where it really parts ways with Gucci Nobile and forms a bit of its own identity -keeping only the patchouli/mossy drydown as a reminder of its association with its paternal brother.

Upon trying NR and GN side by side, I noticed too that GN has a drier, peaty moss whereas NR's moss is more "wet" and green; like that found in Duc de Vervins.

Differences and all, the two fragrances are akin. Enough so that I can regularly enjoy copious amounts of Nobile Royalty and keep my last few remaining drops of Gucci Nobile stashed away.
    Last edited by Manuel; 3rd May 2011 at 02:25 AM.

Found a tester at a stockist who is a friend of mine... asked for a price, she is thinking about it.

Update: and got it for USD 25, a 120ml that is 75 % full. I am wearing it now and I find it has a wonderful drydown as well as amazing longevity and sillage. Green top notes and a patchoulian drydown I enjoy quite a lot.

Just for sheer curiosity, I am wondering on Manu's observations on Nobile Royalty: Havana + Nobile? Sounds darn interesting.
    Last edited by Pollux; 2nd July 2009 at 10:19 PM.

I found a bottle for $16, and do quite enjoy it. I have never tried Gucci Nobile, but Nobile Royalty does uncannily resemble Musgo Real aftershave, a classic Portuguese barbershop product. However, in the middle notes, something weird happens. Shortly after the fresh green opening, I note a distinct rotten note, hard to put my finger on, but what it reminds me of is a bean soup that's been left unrefrigerated for a couple of days and starting to go bad. Maybe my nose is broken.

I have a bottle of this (NR) EDP that i got for 12USD. I've never smelled GN but I would like to. I love the NR but my wife doesnt. I think it has a classy "green" smell with just a touch of tobacco. I smell the rosewood also. My wife says it smells like grass clippings.

Quote Originally Posted by NDN-01 View Post
    My wife says it smells like grass clippings.
    Testament to how "green" it smells!

I do miss this one

Gucci Nobile. . . I bought a bottle about ten years ago, and it has since held a place of high esteem in my collection. Ranks well with any and all of the "power" fragrances. It's in a nice bottle, too. Haven't tried Nobile Royalty, but with that lineage and easy price point - sure, I'm in. . .
    Last edited by mrcologneguy; 12th April 2010 at 12:34 AM.

Who makes Nobile Royalty? I can't find it in the directory here.

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    Who makes Nobile Royalty? I can't find it in the directory here.
    Alexander Da Costa

I just got my bottle of Nobile Royalty today. I agree that it makes an excellent substitute for Gucci Nobile. In fact, I kind of prefer this to GN because it's slightly less sweet than I remember GN smelling. I can't say I smell much resemblance to Havana, other than any similarities GN would have with it.

This is also a frag that fans of oakmoss should check out. Oakmoss is all over this thing! I assume that's because it's made in the U.S., not in the European Union.

Overall, I'm very pleased with this purchase.

AromiErotici

I just got my bottle of Nobile Royalty today. I agree that it makes an excellent substitute for Gucci Nobile. In fact, I kind of prefer this to GN because it's slightly less sweet than I remember GN smelling. I can't say I smell much resemblance to Havana, other than any similarities GN would have with it.

This is also a frag that fans of oakmoss should check out. Oakmoss is all over this thing! I assume that's because it's made in the U.S., not in the European Union.

Overall, I'm very pleased with this purchase.
    Agreed bro. I just recently snagged a bottle and the scent smells pretty damn good. The longevity could be better ( a few hours), but 100ml EDP for $10 is hard to beat.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

I just ordered a 3.4 oz NIB spray bottle for 14.95 including UPS ground shipping. Based on these good reviews and the price it is what I consider a safe blind buy. Anything with Gucci Nobile and/or Havana kinship is OK with me
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

I've been wearing Nobile Royalty since about 8:30 this morning (seven hours ago), and yes, this is a copy of Gucci Nobile all the way, even if it's a tad drier than GN. Even the drydown, which is mainly patchouli, sandalwood and moss, totally reminds me of Gucci Nobile's drydown. This is a very professionally made copy. Excellent work.

I think this is a fantastic value. I doesn't smell cheap (IMO) and is long-lasting (8-10+hrs w/4-6 sprays). Alexander Da Costa also makes one called Poker Player and and a new one called Nobile Royalty Code. I've been thinking of getting one or both to try, just based on the quality of NR.

The website is cheesy and dont even list Nobile Royalty Code:http://http://www.alexanderdacosta.com/

Glad to see that this scent is developing a following.

Does anyone know how to add this frag to the Directory? I'd love to write a review on this, as well as read other people's reviews.

I'm especially curious about this Poker Player frag. Both the name and the bottle are cheezy, and I'm curious to see if its quality is as high as Nobile Royalty's.

To request that a fragrance be listed in the directory, find the "Missing Fragrances" thread and post the name and whatever information you have. Website listings aid in the process.
    It can take a while for these to appear.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

double post
    Last edited by kbe; 7th July 2010 at 11:26 PM.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Nobile Royalty Pyramid from the Alexander da Costa website:

Top Notes

Bergamot, Mandarin, Lemon, Lavender, Geranium

Middle Notes

Anise, Clove Bud, Sage, Leather

Basenotes

Cedarwood, Sandalwood, Patchouli, Labdanum, Oakmoss, Musk

The bottle I just received is labeled Edp but the website states it is an Edt

I am wearing it tonight and after about 30 minutes I can say it appears not to have Edp strength but we will see. Nice though, and Gucci Nobile-like tobacco ash/smoke and some leather after a riotous 10-15 opening minutes of dense tobacco leaf/citrus reminiscent of Havana
    Last edited by kbe; 7th July 2010 at 11:27 PM.

I'm especially curious about this Poker Player frag. Both the name and the bottle are cheezy, and I'm curious to see if its quality is as high as Nobile Royalty's.
    Poker Player does seem interesting, doesn't it? As NR is such a... shall we say tribute, I wonder if this is also. Any possible insight into this?

If it isn't, and it is an original creation by this house/perfumer than I am equally curious. There was obviously a thought, somewhere, that GN was worth copying despite the fact that it was discontinued and not HUGE like AdG or Cool Water.

At any rate, Poker Player is fast rising to the top of my purchase list.

As to the longevity issue that has been raised, at first I thought it was not that strong. However, after subsequent wearings, I have found that this scent is very long-lasting. The key for me was a familiarization with the scent and a balanced application. 2-3 sprays are too few - and 6 is pushing it. Strangely enough, 4 - 6 sprays misted all over works best. My usually is 1 under each ear + 1 to the nape of the neck of concentrated sprays and 2 misted to the chest". This seems to be too much with this scent and causes anosmia in me. Just my opinion.
    Last edited by NDN-01; 8th July 2010 at 02:19 AM.

AromiErotici

I looked up the accords for Poker Player. It lists an aquatic theme in the structure and they lost me there. I'll stick with Nobile Royalty.

Hi Folks, I'm interested in buying a bottle, but has anyone tried both versions (EDT - EDP)? Reading the posts above I'm affraid the EDP version is more focused in tobacco notes... And I'm more interested in the green/refreshing aspect of it...
    which one should I buy?

I just received my bottle of Nobile Royalty EDP last week, and I am quite pleased with my purchase. I love the green topnotes (I smell quite a bit of green citrus and lavender), and the ensuing tobacco and oakmoss accord develop nicely. Tobacco isn't listed in the note pyramid, but I could swear I smell it in the mix. The projection and longevity of the EDP (and I would image of the EDT also) is excellent. I've never sampled Gucci Nobile, but if it smells anything like Nobile Royalty, I can understand all the love for it!

Dear All,

Please someone help me to get this gem....I am great fan of GUCCI NOBILE, and after sad dicontinuation of GN i tried many other and stick on CK Eternity and Van Cleef & Arples TSAR and now going crazy to buy this, but my situation is;

I am living in Saudi Arabia, Riyadh.....tried all whole sale and retail markets and NO LUCK,
    if anyone of you know any source to get this help me, will be greatful

Thanks and regards in advance

Ibu

Nobile Royalty is a great tribute to Gucci's fragrance. They are hard to tell apart but, IMO, Gucci Nobile has the much better quality. That said, thank God that Nobile Royalty is around when the Gucci is hard to come by.
    La vita breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've had NR for awhile now and love it for the "green". It now has a "Code" and a "Blue" flanker that I haven't tried. I've never tried the Gucci Nobile, but I hope to someday own it - at least a mini to compare.

As far as where to buy it... try their website: http://www.alexanderdacosta.com/ as I understand they ship to some countries outside the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by ibu4u View Post
    Dear All,

Please someone help me to get this gem....I am great fan of GUCCI NOBILE, and after sad dicontinuation of GN i tried many other and stick on CK Eternity and Van Cleef & Arples TSAR and now going crazy to buy this, but my situation is;

I am living in Saudi Arabia, Riyadh.....tried all whole sale and retail markets and NO LUCK,
    if anyone of you know any source to get this help me, will be greatful

Thanks and regards in advance

Ibu
    Welcome ibu,

Have you tried a decant of Gucci Nobile from the perfumed court website? It is expensive though. Strawberrynet often has royalty for sale- I hope this helps?
    La vita breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks alot @koala501....greatful to you advice, I checked already strawberrynet before i post this, but donno eactly they will deliver NR to my region or no...anyway i will try to mail them my query and wait for answer...You know I checked the price of decant of GN on perfumed Court (1 oz) and its ranging very near to Clive Christian '1872' Men's Pure Perfume Spray No Color 1.7 oz....quite surprising!...thanks once again for your advice, I will try Strawberrynet!

Not bad at all but not among my favorites of the line.

Dependent

Bought it blind based on the descriptions. Excellent top accord, but then a sweet bubblegum accord ruins it for me ... I think it's birch tar + tobacco. Oh well, hope I can swap it here on BN.

A sweet bubblegum accord is likely birch tar and tobacco? Is that what you mean?

Nobile Royality is the closest alternative to Gucci Nobile IMO, my only concern is that it's not so easy to find here in italy.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    A sweet bubblegum accord is likely birch tar and tobacco? Is that what you mean?
    Yes, I think so. I'm probably hyperosmic to a salicylate in the rectified birch tar, which makes it smell like very sweet wintergreen to me. I can't stand it in anything but the most tiny amounts in a fragrance.

You guys have to be kidding me. This fragrance doesn't come close to smelling like gucci nobile. As a matter of fact it has very little scent at all. It goes from a generic alcohol aroma into a muddled soapy smell and that's where it stays. Something in the back round is trying to creep through but it eventually gives up.

This is a non fragrance. I wouldn't even consider this a barber shop fragrance. Pinaud is way more superior...even brut!

Quote Originally Posted by thatmakesscents View Post
    You guys have to be kidding me. This fragrance doesn't come close to smelling like gucci nobile. As a matter of fact it has very little scent at all. It goes from a generic alcohol aroma into a muddled soapy smell and that's where it stays. Something in the back round is trying to creep through but it eventually gives up.

This is a non fragrance. I wouldn't even consider this a barber shop fragrance. Pinaud is way more superior...even brut!
    Wuka wuka...... yeah! Even Brut....unhuh!

...NDN-01!!!!

Oh yeah... I now own Nobile!

...NDN-01!!!

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thatmakesscents View Post

Maybe you have discovered the first knock-off of Nobile Royalty. Other than the name my bottle has nothing whatever to do with your description.

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    Maybe you have discovered the first knock-off of Nobile Royalty. Other than the name my bottle has nothing whatever to do with your description.
    Maybe. However from what I've read on basenotes most people counterfeit higher end brands. If you look on Amazon you will see two slightly different bottles for roughly the same price. I bought mine off of drjays.com. Please don't rag on me but I thought I was doing myself a favor versus buying it on amazon.com via "sams online".

Nobile was a brilliant scent. This smells like nothing like it to me at least. Maybe my nose isn't right for it...who knows but it's in the garbage or has already been thrown out. I gave it 5 sprays today and nothing.

Dependent

I've never smelled Gucci Nobile but 5 sprays of Nobile Royalty is very noticeable for at least 6 hours for me.

AromiErotici

It's a very good facsimile of Nobile. To be honest, as time went on, I found Nobile to HIGHLY overrated simply due to price gouging.

Gucci Nobile is good, but in no wise deserves the money thrown at it. It's worth what it originally sold for and no more. Royalty is close enough.....and smells good enough.......to warrant a bottle if you like Nobile.

Your description sounds like you got a beat bottle.

I didn't buy NR because I couldn't imagine it having the complexity and naturalness that I'm looking for. I'd rather pay a little more and wait for a good ebay buy to come along on a vintage frag.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I didn't buy NR because I couldn't imagine it having the complexity and naturalness that I'm looking for. I'd rather pay a little more and wait for a good ebay buy to come along on a vintage frag.
    I totally agree. Gucci Nobile might have smelled simple to some people but to those not in the know it was complex. I too couldn't imagine trying to capture that feel in a bottle of $17 cologne. That's why I had to buy it.

I tried it first maybe 3/4 years ago and was not impressed. Then I saw it again on basenotes recently and I decided to give it another go.

When I wore GN I got that same rush I did from the original giorgio beverly hills. It gave me that same italian playboy feel like if I needed a gold chain to compliment it. I really loved it.

If I am going to get beat on a $17 of cologne then what hope is there ? It makes you want to stick to the fragrances makers that have official counters in department stores

I finally had a chance to sample Nobile Royalty, so I thought I'd add my two scents. I find it has three stages. Caveat: this is simply a description of how it performs on my skin, and from a shop spritz.
    1. A somewhat bland and generic "green" scent. I've smelled several in this vein. Vaguely minty, a bit leafy, fairly synthetic. Not obnoxious but not entirely pleasant and certainly not "natural" in the sense of Nature.
    2. A fairly brackish-sour mossy note. I like moss but occasionally one will present in this way. Aqua di Selva is another example.
    3. Amazingly, the dry-down is not bad. All the bad stuff has burned off and it is a pleasant, slightly spicy moss/musk.

Resemblance to Gucci Nobile? Very little, in my opinion. I own and treasure GN. It is very powerful and long-lasting. It has great natural green/coniferous notes. A little goes a long way. There are muscular leather and musk notes throughout. Only phase #3 of Royalty even approximates GN.
    In my opinion, it is not a worthy substitute for me. If I was seeking a substitute, I would go for the obscure but still available J. Peterman 1903 Cologne. It is powerful and quite similar to GN.
    odysseusm

Dependent

I thought NR had a weird bubble gum effect going on. It seems sweeter than GN. I don't really like either though because of my aversion to birch tar.