Code of Conduct

Default Need some help with a woman's perfume: What goes best with rose?

I need some help creating a fragrance and I am open to any and all ideas! I've made a few scents for myself in the past and I'm familiar with the basis of a good masculine scent, however I've never made a perfume for a woman before.

I am making this perfume for a woman I know who loves roses but wants a discreet scent, not one with alot of projection. She loves flowers and 'delicate' scents but isn't so keen on vanilla or musks which is fine by me.

I know I want the fragrance to center around rose and sandalwood but after that....I've hit a complete mental block! I appreciate the depth of rose as a note but I don't want the scent to be boring or single chord dominant, so I would love any help or feedback as to what you think goes well with rose.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Edit: I want to have black currant and beeswax involved too for a bit of a different feel.
    Last edited by scentseeker; 6th May 2009 at 03:20 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Need some help with a woman's perfume: What goes best with rose?

Rose plus Jasmine is the classic pairing. Then you just have to tweak it a bit to get Joy

In my adventures, an accord I became smitten with for a while was a 1part sandalwood, 2part orris root, 3part rose that I created for the hell of it out of naturals that are prohibitively expensive/endangered to use otherwise. I think the dry and powdery facets of sandalwood and orris really complemented the rose in a way to make it more cosmetic(lipstick) rather than vanilla/musk. I think some citrus of choice (I love lemon and bergamot) at the top and perhaps patchouli or vetiver at the base would round out a simple sketch nicely.
    Last edited by Roy; 6th May 2009 at 05:24 PM. Reason: spelling error

Blog Entries

I think the questions to ask her are, does she want to start with a light rose or a dark rose? From there does she want top notes to make the fragrance sharper (lavender, frankincense) or sweeter (ylang-ylang, Mandarin)? If she doesn't want vanilla or musk for base notes, would she prefer wood (sandalwood) or incense (patchouli)?

Hmmm it might be interesting to try and make a sharp and a sweet take on the same theme, I could try one mix with the mandarin and wood and one with frankincense and patchouli! I know she would prefer a light rose in either case.

I was experimenting this evening with several rose notes and the following developed:
    Bergamot - brightened and sharpened with a sweet citrus edge
    Jasmine accord - pairing was a bit too obvious
    Linden blossom - added honey/hay sweetness
    Carnation accord - dark spicy clove-rose
    Oakmoss - deep, mysterious, earthy rose
    Guaic - beautiful deep combination, woody and rich
    Opopanix - resiny edgy rose
    Sweet Basil - it's supposed to be great but I couldn't get a good combination
    Orange flower - I must have been too heavy with it, the combination was horrible
    Orris - beautiful powdery rose

You might have a lot of fun with lemon and Mandarin.
    Don a wig of larks and fly!

if you'd like to keep it simple

I would recommend a neroli opening, a rose heart with a touch of tuberose, and orris and sandalwood base

Rose+Vanilla= Baby Powder
    Rose+Fruit Scent

Hi, adding patchouli to rose puts the rose on steroids, dose carefully.

What about Tea notes?

Does she want a yellow rose, or a red rose?

PATCHOULI!!!! makes the rose so much more beautiful, however as pkiler said, be careful not too much.

I think the question is ... what type of rose fragrance are you starting out with? English Rose? Red Rose? There are a variety of EOs and FOs out there and they are quite distinct. If the rose is your base, you need to determine which variety it is before you will know what is best to blend with it to enhance it.