Code of Conduct

Red face Got Straight to Heaven mistaken for A*Men...

Well, when I went to class today, I was wearing my fave scent, By Kilian's Straight to Heaven.

And that's where the conversation started: Another classmate asked "Are you wearing cologne?". I said "Yup". But he then went to try to guess the scent, and asked: "Are you wearing Angel?", to which I replied "Are you referring to the men's one?" He said "yes". (After all, A*Men was known as Angel Men in the US until 1 nanosecond ago.) My official response: "I'm not wearing Angel... I'm wearing Straight to Heaven by Kilian."

Which makes me wonder what similarities there are between A*Men and Straight to Heaven... IMO, there's the patchouli, but not much else. (And I own, wear, and love both.) Which makes me wonder: does anyone else here think that A*Men and Straight to Heaven are similar or different?
    Top 5 for Late Summer:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Aventus - Creed
    3) Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    4) L'Humaniste - Frapin
    5) Millesime Imperial - Creed

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Default Re: Got Straight to Heaven mistaken for A*Men...

They're both gourmands (StH to a much lesser extent) with patchouli, as you said MFfan. I personally don't see much resemblance, although perhaps in "feel" they are slightly similar. They could maybe live on the same street, but I don't see them as related. Your classmate was probably just trying to make an educated guess.

Not to mention that the quality gap and blending difference between the two is enormous. I much prefer StH. I think you're on the ball and wouldn't worry about it.

Ouch! Right in the bollocks.
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

always remember that us BN'ers are probably a little more discerning than the average person when it comes to identifying fragrances, especially when they a couple of similar notes. I can't tell you how many of my employees over the years have asked me if I was wearing ADG... even if I was wearing an absolute contrast such as montale attar or encre noire. In my mind I chuckle a bit but in reality I just let them know the name and tell them that "due to certain circumstances I don't have Acqua di Gio in my closet anymore, but I'm glad you like this one" If you filled a room with 100 Basenoters, even the most studied and sensitive of us, I guarantee you that only 1 in 25 of us would be able to accurately guess the fragrance each of the members was wearing. I guess what I'm trying to say is that to us certain notes are of immense importance, but to others they only know that we smell "good", and that's the projection we are all trying to convey right?
    At your service

It's about time I'll start collecting those By Kylian bottles while I still get a decent paycheck these months.
    unico grande amore.

I'm consistently intrigued (flabbergasted?) at the guesses I've gotten over the years. Example: I had just freshly put on Black Aoud, got in the car with my friend, and he said, "you smell so fresh and lemony! It reminds me exactly of this Bath and Body Works body mist my sister used to use."

I do the same thing though. I recently guessed that a friend was wearing Code and it was definitely an Armani but definitely not Code, but rather, Diamonds which I'm not even familiar with. The same friend, different occasion, was wearing Terre d'Hermes and I asked him what his great fragrance was! Terre d'Hermes is one of my favorite fragrances. It smelled much sweeter and less sour and mineralic from afar. Who knows

To answer your question, I don't find A*Men and STH very much alike at all but I always find that we the wearers are the greatest benefactors of our fragrances and the details and notes which make them up. The sillage is a different story. I'm always amazed at how my beloved fragrances smell on others when I'm caught in their fragrance wake. Maybe we should give your friend props for tuning into the patchouli/gourmand link
    Last edited by nthny; 6th May 2009 at 07:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nthny View Post
    To answer your question, I don't find A*Men and STH very much alike at all but I always find that we the wearers are the greatest benefactors of our fragrances and the details and notes which make them up. The sillage is a different story. I'm always amazed at how my beloved fragrances smell on others when I'm caught in their fragrance wake. Maybe we should give your friend props for tuning into the patchouli/gourmand link
    Yeah... the sillage could have had something to do with it. Maybe his friends wear A*Men, even though the guy said that "all he can afford right now due to college and his budget is Axe", and the sillage of A*Men on his friends might have smelled a lot like StH on me to his nose.

Oh, and don't forget the common naming convention themes of the fragrances, too.
    Top 5 for Late Summer:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Aventus - Creed
    3) Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    4) L'Humaniste - Frapin
    5) Millesime Imperial - Creed

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

I don't think they mistook it for A*Men - I think it was more of a case of only knowing a certain few types of scents and the same number of names. I think the fact that they asked you what you were wearing is actually a compliment in itself!

No similarities whatsoever. I am wearing STH right now, and I own Amen also. No similarities. Sometimes people that aren't really into colognes may throw out whatever is familiar to them when playing the guessing game, not because they detect actual similarities, but because they know only a few fragrances, so they just throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks.

When people usually compliment and make a guess on what one is wearing, it is usually something that 'they' wear or know someone who wears that....It is not an easy thing to correctly identify what the other person is wearing...I am sure there are only a handful of basenoters who can do that...

I was once wearing A*men and this woman tells me that it is quite 'musky'.....I thought 'musky'? Well most of the people do say when they compliment, it's quite musky anyways... Hmm...never thought A*men had musk...so when I get back home, I quickly check the base notes and surprisingly there is 'musk' there....

I got my STH refills just yesterday and I gave it a wearing today.

I think the person who mistook STH for A*men was not really wrong...Once STH dries down, I can smell a very sweet, sugary musky vanilla....the vibe is very similar to that of A*men....except that there is chocolate added in A*men.....

I would urge some other basenoters if they could do a comparison and I am quite hopeful that a few will pick up the similarity....

The last time I wore StH out to a bar, the pretty bartender asked "who's wearing patchouli?" I told her it was me, and she told me how she loves smelling patchouli on guys.

It probobly was the Patchouli note in StH that made your classmate identify it as A*Men, even though to my nose the two smell NOTHING alike. I could understand how you find that annoying though, given that a small bottle of StH costs 2x more as a big bottle of A*Men. The quality difference between the two is also easily identified by my nose.

Eh well, atleast he liked it....right?