Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Jicky Question

Blog Entries

Default Re: Jicky Question

Wow, what a discussion...

As pertaining to which concentration of Jicky I've smelled, I don't know - it's the one in the little cube bottle. I've only smelled it on paper at stores and found it so, um, "impolite" that I couldn't imagine ever wanting to put it on myself...

And I fet the same way about Monchiur de Monseour (sp?).

I think VM I hate civet and I may be separated at birth. Even a very small civet note is enough to ruin a fragrance for me. I think I may be the only person ever who can't wear Tam Dao because of the very light poo in it, which never ever gets mentioned here.

As for Dzing, it smelled so strongly of rubber to me that I never got anything else. My nose can be odd...

While I personally find Jicky a bit unpleasant (having never given it the benefit of a full wear), there's a certain combination of creamy gourmand with musk that I find truly disturbing. Poo is natural and has its place, but smelling it in something that smells like food is just, well, wrong to me... Musc Ravageaur, I'm talking to you!

Thanks to everyone for the lively answers!
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??
    Currently wearing: Everest by Avon

Anyone know if Jicky "Parfum de Toilette" the same as the edt or more like the edp?
    "We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams"

After talking to a Guerlain sales person a few times she was convinced that I would love Jicky in parfum and just had to track it down.

I was a bit taken aback the first time I smelled Jicky in parfum, but I adjusted quickly. I wouldn't call it poo I don't think, but it's certainly very animalic.

In EdT I get no poo, and was never disturbed in the slightest even when I smelled it earlier on in my fragrant journeys.

Quote Originally Posted by moreda View Post
    i think it is the combination of civet and lavender that makes it 'poo'.
    it might smell not entaierly nice....but it defenetly doesn't smell like poo.
    I agree with you. I cannot wear Jicky, and I have tried throgh the years. It is interesting that I like Y vert much, so it must be the civet/lavender combination that bothers me. I tried Profumo.it civet: it was bad at first then it turned creamy. My cats found my little vial and they broke it, so they must have liked it!
    Evenstar

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    I think VM I hate civet and I may be separated at birth. Even a very small civet note is enough to ruin a fragrance for me. I think I may be the only person ever who can't wear Tam Dao because of the very light poo in it, which never ever gets mentioned here.
    Hello, scatalogical twin! I take my hat off to you for detecting poo in Tam Dao. Even my Luminol-esque civet antennae missed that one, and I must re-test. I think on first trial I was overwhelmed by the "trapped in a tea chest" note, which may have disarmed the civet sensors.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

While I personally find Jicky a bit unpleasant (having never given it the benefit of a full wear), there's a certain combination of creamy gourmand with musk that I find truly disturbing.
    Yes, yes, yes!!! Same applies to Shalimar for my money. That's lemon scented lavatory cleaner instead of lavender. And the same beleaguered vanilla note I want to rescue, and put in a more savoury formulation.
    Last edited by VM I hate civet; 7th May 2009 at 09:51 AM.

I think I may be the only person ever who can't wear Tam Dao because of the very light poo in it, which never ever gets mentioned here.
    Poo in Tam Dao?! I have to say that note escaped me!

Anyway, skankiest poo scent for me has got to be McQueen's Kingdom, which I suspect its its cumin note, rather than civet. What a whiffer! That's got the whole lot going on: poo, sweaty armpits, ladies' drawers .... you name it.
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

I have never smelled pooey civet in Y de YSL. Never. I'm going to have to test it this afternoon to see whether I can pick it up.

For the survey: I love Jicky and I'm childless.

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    I have never smelled pooey civet in Y de YSL. Never. I'm going to have to test it this afternoon to see whether I can pick it up.

For the survey: I love Jicky and I'm childless.
    You get no civet in Y? Interesting! Y is my civet nemesis...

There are as many as six demographic groupings emerging in this "wild cat" survey - aptly enough, for the secretion in question - mothers who recognise the poo note and like it, childless people who recognise it and like it, mothers and childless people who don't detect the note, of which you are in the latter category, and mothers and childless people who detect it and don't like it!

We are currently a bit low on mothers who detect the note and dislike it - any of you out there? Just seeing how far we can take Wordie's poo bonding theory...

Quote Originally Posted by VM I hate civet View Post
    You get no civet in Y? Interesting! Y is my civet nemesis...

There are as many as six demographic groupings emerging in this "wild cat" survey - aptly enough, for the secretion in question - mothers who recognise the poo note and like it, childless people who recognise it and like it, mothers and childless people who don't detect the note, of which you are in the latter category, and mothers and childless people who detect it and don't like it!

We are currently a bit low on mothers who detect the note and dislike it - any of you out there? Just seeing how far we can take Wordie's poo bonding theory...
    I'm going to test it this afternoon and give it my full attention. For the record, I am childless and can sometimes detect civet, though apparently not always. A new category?

Aha! Partial detectors - I think you mean you sometimes detect civet in scents known to have it in, and sometimes not, rather than that your experience with Jicky itself is variable.

As we are focusing on Jicky here, I shan't create a new category on this occasion, provided your experience of Jicky's pooey/skanky note is consistent. Were we to open the field to partial civet detection in the wider sphere of all civet-containing fragrances, things could get complicated, and I would almost certainly have to enlist the help of SMM and his fiendish statistical models! : - ) : - )
    Last edited by VM I hate civet; 7th May 2009 at 04:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VM I hate civet View Post
    Aha! Partial detectors - I think you mean you sometimes detect civet in scents known to have it in, and sometimes not, rather than that your experience with Jicky itself is variable.

As we are focusing on Jicky here, I shan't create a new category on this occasion, provided your experience of Jicky's pooey/skanky note is consistent. Were we to open the field to partial civet detection in the wider sphere of all civet-containing fragrances, things could get complicated, and I would almost certainly have to enlist the help of SMM and his fiendish statistical models! : - ) : - )
    Yes, civet detection is fairly consistent in Jicky! No need to call in the big guns.

Blog Entries

I'm laughing so hard at this thread.

The shattering of illusions is always so painful, dear ladies.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.