Code of Conduct

Thread: Jicky Question

Blog Entries

Red face Jicky Question

Hi all,

I've been mulling over this question for a while now and avoided asking it because I didn't want to seem too negative, but I am truly curious about Jicky. So, from a purely curious standpoint (I really hope no one reads any negativity into this), my question:

To just come out and say it, when I smell Jicky, I smell poo. Like a baby's diaper with powder and the plastic of the diaper and some poo. There are flowers and other stuff, and it's certainly pretty poo, but to my nose, there's poo there and I just can't love it. I guess that's a hang-up of mine, but I know I can't be alone in not wanting to smell poo, much less smell LIKE poo.

I've read somewhere (Here? Maybe the CB I Hate Perfume blog...) a theory that a very high percentage of people don't really smell musk (civet especially) - they get sort of a warm creamy smell but don't smell the poo.

I'm not sure about that, but here's my question:

If it smells like poo, why do so many people (at least here) love Jicky?

Speaking to the Jicky fans, do you not smell the poo?

If you do smell the poo, do you not care?

Or is it simply part of a well-constructed classic scent and the rest makes up for it?

Or do you like the poo? (There's another theory that women respond to musk because it subconsciously brings up baby smells and gives a warm, motherly feeling)

Or is it an act of mild counter-cultural rebellion? (I smell good, but if you smell closer, it's poo!)

Anyway, I really hope I'm not offending anyone with this - that's absolutely not my intent. I'm just genuinely curious...

Thanks.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Default Re: Jicky Question

Well, it could be the civet, I personally love civet, which can have a slightly fecal smell to it. Other than that, I am not sure. I know a few other people have had reservations about wearing it, because they also experienced a certain fecal quality to it.
    I myself love Jicky and have worn it forever, purely for love of the scent, regardless of the history.
    Hopefully someone else can be of more help.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

Blog Entries

Thank you for writing, Brielle.

I was assuming it was the civet because, when the people here were doing that long thread where they smelled the individual notes, everyone said that the raw civet just smelled like poo, and not even pretty poo. Smell-it-through-the-vial strong, scary poo. To the point where it surprised some people who enjoy civet in perfumes.

But someone wore it just to check it out! I'm still new here, but that's what I enjoy about this place - Basenoters are hardcore about their scents!
    Last edited by rogalal; 6th May 2009 at 04:38 AM.

Lol, I don't like the "poo" smell but...........I don't get this particular perception from Jicky.

I love Jicky, but I don't get 'poo' from it at all!

I don't get poo from Jicky either! The EdT doesn't smell as good as the EdP (EdT is like bad breath, EdP is creamy goodness). Which concentration have you tried?

When I've overapplied the edp I've had poo. Or rather 'how your finger smells when you've scratched your bum' (OK, I know it's graphic, but I'm trying to be precise!). Too much of that is indeed off-putting, but I find the lighter dose of civet in the edt is much more easy to live with. It's just kind of warm and funky like your bed in the morning. But it's a nice, cosy funk, not a poo funk.

Maybe I do like the smell of poo!
    I love Jicky.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Well, I DO get poo, and I must confess that, first time I applied it, I nearly fainted right then and there in Debenhams. However, I will say that this initial fecal blast had subsided in no more than half a minute, and what began to emerge thereafter maintained my curiosity. Some hours later, I was wearing one of the most exquisite lavender-vanilla renditions ever. So, inasmuch as I wouldn't make Jicky a regular wear of mine, I did learn to look past the poo and see the thing of beauty undernearth.
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Yes, it's the civet that smells like poo to many people. And in Jicky it's probably the vanilla and other notes that are giving you the diaper/baby powder scent over the poo. I read that in old days perfumers actually used baby poop as an ingredient in perfumery. Seems gross to us today, but tastes change. I'm seconding Wordbird's recommendation for the edt formulation of Jicky as the least pooey'est (is that a word?), and the brightest & "cleanest" of the formulations, although I've never tried the eau de cologne and I'd bet that is very nice. I LOVE Jicky edt. The civet is strongest in the edp and parfum. Honestly, I don't often detect civet in fragrances that have it listed as an ingredient. Maybe I'm somewhat anosmic to it? I do get it in Jicky, also in Bal a Versailles. But I love those two fragrances, so I must like it. And its odor is not really "poo" per se to my nose, just a general sort of skankiness.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 6th May 2009 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    If it smells like poo, why do so many people (at least here) love Jicky?
    Hey Rogalal

WELCOME TO MY WORLD!!
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

I don't like Jicky (well, not on me anyway - never had the experience of sniffing it on someone else; maybe I'll get to in August). It's possibly the civet in it, though I suspect it's the composition that doesn't work for me. I don't mind civet in other scents. Sometimes civet might be the thing that lifts the scent into another level for me. However, in those cases, the composition has been blended so that the civet isn't a visible strand in the structure to my nose - it has become a part of the whole.

When I sniff civet in the lab, I get a "halitosis-crossed-with-poo" kind of smell. It's a sort of offensive, but not nauseating smell to me - not like the sort of smell you'd get from "sick poo". If I had to draw a picture of civet, it'd be a zoo animal with bad breath.

Quote Originally Posted by VM I hate civet View Post
    Hey Rogalal

WELCOME TO MY WORLD!!
    LOL love the name and reasoning behind it.

I also smell "poo" in Jicky, but I somehow find it pleasant. It's one of those things that are off-putting at first, but then when you let down your defenses and let it in, it becomes funky, intriguing and enjoyable.

I'm a strong believer that pheromones (and musk) are experienced in drastically contrasting ways due to genetics, gender, etc. For example, there was a study on male sweat, where something like half the "smellers" in the experiment smelled a sample of male sweat, only to comment it smelled like cheese, while the other half said it smelled sweet and clean. Or something like that - plz don't quote me on this.

Edit: Turns out it's not cheese VS sweet but vanilla VS urine in the study mentioned above. See this link to read about the study I was thinking about: http://www.medicinenet.com/script/ma...ticlekey=83941

If you think Jicky is poo-ey, try a sample of Profumo (Dominique Dubrana)'s natural civet tincture - now that's some enjoyable poop!
    Last edited by L'Aventurier; 6th May 2009 at 02:52 PM.
    Sales thread here

Basenotes Institution

I smell poo in all of the formulations of Jicky I have smelled: EdC, EdT, EdP. I remember smelling the EdP in a department store and freaking out everyone (me, my husband and the SA). Wild stuff! But, I think that the effect of the civet with the lavender, vanilla and florals is quite magical once its warmed on skin.

You have to wear it a few times rogalal, to see what I'm talking about. Of course enduring a smell that's horrible to your nose is probably not going to sound like a good idea...but really it's the only way you can 'get' Jicky. Or, be patient. Come back to it in a year, or so. Our noses and perceptions change over time.

BTW: If you don't like the civet in Jicky, stay far away from Mouchour de Monsieur by Guerlain. It's got more civet than Jicky.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 6th May 2009 at 04:37 PM.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

While I have always taken the fecal note to be civet, I found it helpful to order a sample of civet that profumo.it sells. I got mine from the Perfumed Court. It enhanced my confidence as to what civet in fact smells like.

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    Or rather 'how your finger smells when you've scratched your bum' (OK, I know it's graphic, but I'm trying to be precise!).
    Maybe I do like the smell of poo!
    I love Jicky.

I love you so much Wordie, you are so blunt and honest, bless you and Small. You both make my days brighter.

Having smelt Jicky again, I really do not experience poo. But maybe because I have been so exposed to civety fragrances, I never have perceived it that way.
    Just like Wordbird, maybe I like the smell of poo also.
    Last edited by Brielle87; 6th May 2009 at 05:18 PM.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

I do not get "poo" at al. I just love Jicky!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    BTW: If you don't like the civet in Jicky, stay far away from Mouchour de Monsieur by Guerlain. It's got more civet than Jicky.
    Also stay away from Y by YSL - it has a veritable mushroom cloud of the stuff that envelops the head with even the lightest spritz. I can supply a "skank blacklist" on request to anyone of a similarly squeamish disposition to me.

Nukapai, are you smelling a civet base or real civet? I get the same 'halitosis/poo' smell from Givaudan's Civet base, just wondered if the real deal smells the same.

And yes, Mouchoir de Monsieur seems to have even more civet than Jicky. It settles down after a few minutes though, and the rest is pure heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukapai View Post
    When I sniff civet in the lab, I get a "halitosis-crossed-with-poo" kind of smell. It's a sort of offensive, but not nauseating smell to me - not like the sort of smell you'd get from "sick poo". If I had to draw a picture of civet, it'd be a zoo animal with bad breath.

I smell poop--horse poop, dung pile, plus something akin to digested hay in horse poop. There ya go. This doesn't bother me at all. It simply smells of a stable on a hot day, and I find this intoxicating in small doses. In fact, I prefer it in the heat, since the heat causes the frag to bloom.

I have vintage EdP and do not care for EdT at all. It is too metallic and thin for me.

May I just ask if there is any civet in L'Ombre Fauve, Felanilla and Dzing!? I love all three but detect an animalic aspect to them - is this rotting hay, patchouli on heat, castoreum or what exactly? I wouldn't say I am getting civet, just some kind of unspecified dark underbelly that I rather like.

If it turns out to be civet, then clearly I am a charlatan... : - )

Jicky on the other hand is a lavender scented lavatory cleaner in a lavatory where there has been some recent activity. (I am emboldened by Wordbird here...)
    Last edited by VM I hate civet; 6th May 2009 at 07:58 PM.

Also stay away from Y by YSL - it has a veritable mushroom cloud of the stuff that envelops the head with even the lightest spritz. I can supply a "skank blacklist" on request to anyone of a similarly squeamish disposition to me.
    ... and Y is one of my go-to scents (better not wear it around you!).

Civet is anchored into the rest of the scent experience for me in Y; it doesn't rise to be a separate thread like it seems to in Jicky. Or maybe it really is just a total composition issue in Jicky, like I suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by joxer96 View Post
    Nukapai, are you smelling a civet base or real civet? I get the same 'halitosis/poo' smell from Givaudan's Civet base, just wondered if the real deal smells the same.

And yes, Mouchoir de Monsieur seems to have even more civet than Jicky. It settles down after a few minutes though, and the rest is pure heaven.
    Synthetic civet, I should have said! Yes, there is a difference. When I smelled real civet a few years ago, it seemed more zoo-like with less halitosis.

Not sure of the manufacturer of our sample, but it's meant to be a straight-up civet (rather than a blend).

I smell lavander and not poo, I sure hope other people don't think I smell of poo when I wear Jicky :s
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

i think it is the combination of civet and lavender that makes it 'poo'.
    it might smell not entaierly nice....but it defenetly doesn't smell like poo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    I smell lavander and not poo, I sure hope other people don't think I smell of poo when I wear Jicky :s
    Let's just say I think I might not make the best room mate for you on your Roja Dove trip!

But then I am hyperosmic to civet and at the extreme end of the bell curve in my dislike of it. I get the impression that the majority of members are okay with civet in an overall blend, whereas my nose seeks it out and isolates it, pretty much obliterating other notes, though I did manage to clock the lavender in Jicky on the way through. And a very unhappy vanilla note that I would gallantly have rescued if I could.
    Last edited by VM I hate civet; 6th May 2009 at 08:44 PM.

All this discussion is making me think I should wear Jicky tomorrow in both edt and edp to remind myself what I love about it and also quite how pooey it is. (I have no shame, as you have probably worked out by now )

As for Dzing!, yes I get great whacks of horse poo from that, along with sweaty horses, saddles, hay and everything else in the stable. I love Dzing! too, so obviously I DO like the smell of poo.

Is it worth mentioning that I have a little kid and was not so long ago still changing nappies, so smelling poo very regularly and associating it with love and happiness? I wonder if that's in any way relevant to this discussion? (Not to say that 'people who have kids like civet, people who don't, don't', because that's way too simplistic. I'm just wondering about the associations - I love horses too.)
    Last edited by Wordbird; 6th May 2009 at 09:25 PM.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Wordie - I have no children - QED!

And I am frightened of horses, having been thrown by a pony on my first time in the saddle - in your homeland, in fact!

I grant you that Dzing! is a bit horse droppingy, but droppings are reassuringly static and do not emit surprise whinnys. And if that note is technically castoreum, not civet, I think my integrity remains broadly intact...
    Last edited by VM I hate civet; 6th May 2009 at 10:53 PM.

Wordie - I have no children - QED!

And I am frightened of horses, having been thrown by a pony on my first time in the saddle - in your homeland, in fact!

I grant you that Dzing! is a bit horse droppingy, but droppings are reassuringly static and do not emit surprise whinnys. And if that note is technically castoreum, not civet, I think my integrity remains broadly intact...

I'm pretty sure it is castoreum in Dzing! and it's strangely intoxicating, although I don't find it to smell like horse droppings at all. In fact I think I might be hyposmic to these animalics, because on a quick test (I'm planning to spend more time with my sample soon) I didn't find Jicky to be at all skanky. Just some really nice lavender and vanilla. Oh, and I have no children... whatever that tells you.

Hmmm - thanks for the confirmation on the castoreum in Dzing!

Regarding your stance on Jicky, I am not sure we have figured out a child status correlation for those unable to smell the poo note. Our wildly crude working theory is that mothers like poo and childess women don't. I think you may have to abstain from the survey if you wouldn't mind! Shouldn't you be asleep now, anyway, with a name like that?

Last edited by VM I hate civet; 6th May 2009 at 11:40 PM.

Funny, I don't smell poo in Jicky at all. Not even a little bit.

I do get a slight horse-poop note in Dzing!...but I like it!

Blog Entries

Wow, what a discussion...

As pertaining to which concentration of Jicky I've smelled, I don't know - it's the one in the little cube bottle. I've only smelled it on paper at stores and found it so, um, "impolite" that I couldn't imagine ever wanting to put it on myself...

And I fet the same way about Monchiur de Monseour (sp?).

I think VM I hate civet and I may be separated at birth. Even a very small civet note is enough to ruin a fragrance for me. I think I may be the only person ever who can't wear Tam Dao because of the very light poo in it, which never ever gets mentioned here.

As for Dzing, it smelled so strongly of rubber to me that I never got anything else. My nose can be odd...

While I personally find Jicky a bit unpleasant (having never given it the benefit of a full wear), there's a certain combination of creamy gourmand with musk that I find truly disturbing. Poo is natural and has its place, but smelling it in something that smells like food is just, well, wrong to me... Musc Ravageaur, I'm talking to you!

Thanks to everyone for the lively answers!

Anyone know if Jicky "Parfum de Toilette" the same as the edt or more like the edp?
    "We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams"

After talking to a Guerlain sales person a few times she was convinced that I would love Jicky in parfum and just had to track it down.

I was a bit taken aback the first time I smelled Jicky in parfum, but I adjusted quickly. I wouldn't call it poo I don't think, but it's certainly very animalic.

In EdT I get no poo, and was never disturbed in the slightest even when I smelled it earlier on in my fragrant journeys.

Quote Originally Posted by moreda View Post
    i think it is the combination of civet and lavender that makes it 'poo'.
    it might smell not entaierly nice....but it defenetly doesn't smell like poo.
    I agree with you. I cannot wear Jicky, and I have tried throgh the years. It is interesting that I like Y vert much, so it must be the civet/lavender combination that bothers me. I tried Profumo.it civet: it was bad at first then it turned creamy. My cats found my little vial and they broke it, so they must have liked it!
    Evenstar

I think VM I hate civet and I may be separated at birth. Even a very small civet note is enough to ruin a fragrance for me. I think I may be the only person ever who can't wear Tam Dao because of the very light poo in it, which never ever gets mentioned here.
    Hello, scatalogical twin! I take my hat off to you for detecting poo in Tam Dao. Even my Luminol-esque civet antennae missed that one, and I must re-test. I think on first trial I was overwhelmed by the "trapped in a tea chest" note, which may have disarmed the civet sensors.

While I personally find Jicky a bit unpleasant (having never given it the benefit of a full wear), there's a certain combination of creamy gourmand with musk that I find truly disturbing.
    Yes, yes, yes!!! Same applies to Shalimar for my money. That's lemon scented lavatory cleaner instead of lavender. And the same beleaguered vanilla note I want to rescue, and put in a more savoury formulation.
    Last edited by VM I hate civet; 7th May 2009 at 09:51 AM.

I think I may be the only person ever who can't wear Tam Dao because of the very light poo in it, which never ever gets mentioned here.
    Poo in Tam Dao?! I have to say that note escaped me!

Anyway, skankiest poo scent for me has got to be McQueen's Kingdom, which I suspect its its cumin note, rather than civet. What a whiffer! That's got the whole lot going on: poo, sweaty armpits, ladies' drawers .... you name it.
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

I have never smelled pooey civet in Y de YSL. Never. I'm going to have to test it this afternoon to see whether I can pick it up.

For the survey: I love Jicky and I'm childless.

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    I have never smelled pooey civet in Y de YSL. Never. I'm going to have to test it this afternoon to see whether I can pick it up.

For the survey: I love Jicky and I'm childless.
    You get no civet in Y? Interesting! Y is my civet nemesis...

There are as many as six demographic groupings emerging in this "wild cat" survey - aptly enough, for the secretion in question - mothers who recognise the poo note and like it, childless people who recognise it and like it, mothers and childless people who don't detect the note, of which you are in the latter category, and mothers and childless people who detect it and don't like it!

We are currently a bit low on mothers who detect the note and dislike it - any of you out there? Just seeing how far we can take Wordie's poo bonding theory...

You get no civet in Y? Interesting! Y is my civet nemesis...

There are as many as six demographic groupings emerging in this "wild cat" survey - aptly enough, for the secretion in question - mothers who recognise the poo note and like it, childless people who recognise it and like it, mothers and childless people who don't detect the note, of which you are in the latter category, and mothers and childless people who detect it and don't like it!

We are currently a bit low on mothers who detect the note and dislike it - any of you out there? Just seeing how far we can take Wordie's poo bonding theory...
    I'm going to test it this afternoon and give it my full attention. For the record, I am childless and can sometimes detect civet, though apparently not always. A new category?

Aha! Partial detectors - I think you mean you sometimes detect civet in scents known to have it in, and sometimes not, rather than that your experience with Jicky itself is variable.

As we are focusing on Jicky here, I shan't create a new category on this occasion, provided your experience of Jicky's pooey/skanky note is consistent. Were we to open the field to partial civet detection in the wider sphere of all civet-containing fragrances, things could get complicated, and I would almost certainly have to enlist the help of SMM and his fiendish statistical models! : - ) : - )
    Last edited by VM I hate civet; 7th May 2009 at 04:48 PM.

Aha! Partial detectors - I think you mean you sometimes detect civet in scents known to have it in, and sometimes not, rather than that your experience with Jicky itself is variable.

As we are focusing on Jicky here, I shan't create a new category on this occasion, provided your experience of Jicky's pooey/skanky note is consistent. Were we to open the field to partial civet detection in the wider sphere of all civet-containing fragrances, things could get complicated, and I would almost certainly have to enlist the help of SMM and his fiendish statistical models! : - ) : - )
    Yes, civet detection is fairly consistent in Jicky! No need to call in the big guns.

Blog Entries

I'm laughing so hard at this thread.

The shattering of illusions is always so painful, dear ladies.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.