Code of Conduct

Default Tobacco Fragrances

Hi, I am looking for fragrances that are tobacco smelling. I stopped smoking, but still love that smoky smell. Maybe its the 'pull' I hope someone here can give me some suggestions which are not too niche as it would be hard to find here.

Read through some of the posts and came across Versace The Dreamer, Man and D&G PH. How is the tobacco smell in them? How do they compare among each other?

I really hope someone can give suggestions and help!

Default Re: Tobacco Fragrances

Hi there, while i own the Dreamer i really don't get a lot of tobacco from it. If you are going for a sweet cigar type i would suggest Ambre Russe.

Hi, going through the notes in Ambre Russe, I see incense which is not something im looking for - are they pronounced? Not quite fond of incense-y perfumes like Gucci Envy for Men for example.

I am looking more for cigar/cigarette/tobacco smell - either the thing itself or the smoke.

Btw, the tobacco smell can be in conjunction with either citrus/floral/fruity/woods/gourmands anything as long as the tobacco is there.

without going into uberexpensive niche house fragrances I would recommend two...
    for freshly cut virginia tobacco Michael by Michael Kors
    for slightly burnt fine tobacco I would go with Havana by Aramis
    there are so many to list... these are just two that immediately popped into my head
    At your service

Yes, nothing uber-niche. Would just like to try them out, those that are 'representative' of tobacco frags:
    Clear and distinct throughout, or maybe 'fused' together with other notes.
    In the heart or base only, or maybe throughout the perfumes development.

It does not matter. Just as long as the tobacco/cigar/cig smell is there.

Reason I dont like incense-y perfumes is because I'm asian and they remind me of that - incense,like one just came out of a temple or a religious ceremony, its not bad but not what i am looking for.

More suggestions for me to try please!
    Last edited by lokiju; 7th May 2009 at 02:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by decillisjl View Post
    without going into uberexpensive niche house fragrances I would recommend two...
    for freshly cut virginia tobacco Michael by Michael Kors
    for slightly burnt fine tobacco I would go with Havana by Aramis
    there are so many to list... these are just two that immediately popped into my head
    I don't mean to put down your suggstion Decillisjl, but isn't Aramis Havana discontinued, hard to find and very pricey. I have been searching for a bottle of this fragrance, and the only place I seem to find it is on eBay. Sadly, the prices are all close to $200

If you know a place where I can find Havana, please let us all know ( sorry to hijack the thread )

For Tobacco fragrance, to my nose, Burberry London does a pretty good job at that. I have had some "compliments" from strangers saying I smell like pipe tobacco and another said I smelled like cigar smoke

How about cuba red? nice tobacco fragrance
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

I dont think I can get Cuba Red, Michael Kors over here.

Anyway, what about the few I mentioned earlier (which I can try over the counter) ?

Versace Man, D&G PH(and The Dreamer).Are these perfumes overall tobacco-y? Ive read some of the reviews, but I cant quite understand the overall scent from all the different reviews.

Blog Entries

To my nose there are two kinds of tobacco smell - the unburned tobacco smell of a tobacco shop or the burned tobacco smell of an ashtray. I was looking for the former a while back & there's a thread for this, somehwere further down. My favorites of those I could try are Czech & Speak Cuba (they'll mail you a sample free if you go to their web site), Versace's The Dreamer, and Burberry's London. But I've also ordered a singl;e note accord from The Perfumer's Apprentice.

If you want reminders of your smoking days, try the different Polo men's scents. The SA at Lord and Taylor showed me one (Sport?, Green? I don't recall) that I thought had serious ashtray in it.

Jill Sander Man Absolute, I didn't liked it because of it's smokey smell.. Maybe you'd liked it.
    unico grande amore.

Quorum - Antonio Puig
    London for Men - Burberry
    Savile Row - Richard James
    Baldessarini - Hugo Boss
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 7th May 2009 at 11:21 AM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Alright so I am going to try Burberry London, The Dreamer, Baldessarini and the Polo's. Only because I 'think' I can get them here.

I'm curious about the Michael by Michael Kors, what does it start out like? And the tobacco smell, is it the thing itself or burnt tobacco/smoke? Is it present throughout the scent or just at the top/mid/base?

Also, Ive read from here that the 'tobacco smell' that one perceives is actually from 'tonka beans', which explains why some gourmands smell a bit like tobacco sometimes. Is this true?

Quote Originally Posted by lokiju View Post

I'm curious about the Michael by Michael Kors, what does it start out like? And the tobacco smell, is it the thing itself or burnt tobacco/smoke? Is it present throughout the scent or just at the top/mid/base?
    Sadly I think Michael Kors has been discontinued, I asked an SA at Dillards about it and he told me it had been discontinued
    [COLOR="Purple"]I am not afraid... I was born to do this.

-Joan of Arc [/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by lightgreen22 View Post
    Sadly I think Michael Kors has been discontinued, I asked an SA at Dillards about it and he told me it had been discontinued
    Perhaps Dillards just stopped carrying it. Michael for Men still appears on the Michael Kors website.
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 8th May 2009 at 09:53 AM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Blog Entries

lokiju,
    Please add posts to this thread with your impressions of the scents you try, which you like best, and why. BTW, your profile doesn't specify your country. Including that might help someone suggest sources.

Arrow Re: Tobacco Fragrances

I wore The Dreamer yesterday. Don't find any tobacco notes in there...

I would suggest Polo (the green bottle).
    Nice and smokin' ...
    And it will last forever.
    --- If your dog thinks you are the greatest person
    in the world, don't seek a second opinion ---

Alright so here's what I tried at the store today:

1. The Dreamer - Kind of nice 'sweet' opening, then it became JPG Le Male for me. the vanilla was very similar. Didn't wait for the tobacco - non-existent at the start so...
    They didnt carry Versace Man or D&G PH. So is the tobacco accord stronger in them?

2. Burberry London - I do get that 'tobacco' accord, but it is swee-tish/sour-ish. Also, there are quite a few other scents going on, so the tobacco rather adds a 'smoky' flavor to the scent, rather than actually smelling like tobacco. if that makes any sense.

3. A*Men - I know this is a gourmand, but its funny how it smells a little bit like 'tobacco', i guess it smells like roasted coffee beans, which smells similar to tobacco.

4. Annick Goutal Duel - somehow the dept. store carried Duel, and I came across this scent in another thread, so decided to give it a try. This had the 'closest' and strongest of the tobacco accord. Smell of burnt cigarettes/ashtray. Also, reminded me of the smell my fingers when I still smoked cigarettes A little too harsh, but it smells very much like the real thing.

Out of the 4, I'd say the London was the safest, but its still not what i am looking for. Its sweet and sour-ish, the tobacco note not being 'distinct' enough. I'd like the tobacco together with citrus or as a clear note, not sweet(food) nor floral.

The smell you get when you walk into a room where someone just exhaled a puff. Or the smell you get on your (clean)clothes as you pass through a room with cigarette smoke.

Going to try the Polo Green tomorrow. Any other suggestions? Btw, I'm from Malaysia
    Last edited by lokiju; 8th May 2009 at 04:32 PM.

I still think Quorum is your best bet.

I love Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme. To me, it has a stronger tobacco accord than Dreamer. I have tried Dreamer several times but still don't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Snaggy1 View Post
    I wore The Dreamer yesterday. Don't find any tobacco notes in there...

I would suggest Polo (the green bottle).
    Nice and smokin' ...
    And it will last forever.
    I also don't get any tobacco notes or even at the dry down like every says. I'm confused as why people think it smells like tobacco ( at all)

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    I still think Quorum is your best bet.

I love Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme. To me, it has a stronger tobacco accord than Dreamer. I have tried Dreamer several times but still don't like it.
    I dislike the Dreamers dry down. The opening is interesting, but the dry down stinks like a cooked green vegatable to me

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

L'Uomo Trussardi. I just 'rediscovered' that I own a bottle. Amazing tobacco accord in the middle and drydown notes reminds me of a more elegant and refined Michael for Men. SotE tonight and I think this one is staying close to the front from now on.
    Last edited by kbe; 8th May 2009 at 11:02 PM.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Yes, D&G PH has a nice tobacco. There is a cheap clone called OP Blend that you might find at Perfumania that smells exactly like D&G PH at a fraction of the price (but with reduced longevity). The funky bottle looks like this:

Another smoky tobacco scent that won't break your wallet is Curve Connect. I like it a lot.

Hillaire

What about Tom Ford Private Blend: Tobacco Vanille
    or Creed Tabarome
    or John Varvatos Vintage

Good and Tabbakey

I would definitely recommend Burberry London Men. The Tobacco is along the same lines as the much more expensive (and in my mind inferior) Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille. BL has a more complex top accord and a more generic drydown but is more of a complete composed fragrance.
    "Donít try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. Ē - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Miller Harris's Feuilles de Tabac has a smell of what I consider to be pipe tobacco or maybe an unlit cigar. It's a great scent, and shouldn't be too hard to find, I think.

D&G PH is my favorite out of the three you mentioned. The sweet smokey tobacco accord is what earns this fragrance a permanent place in my wardrobe.

I used to own Vesace Man, it smelled uneven to me, like it was missing one of its elements. Still a good scent, but it's unbalanced nature annoyed me whenever I wore it.

As for Dreamer, BLECH! Not for me sorry.

Have you tried Serge Luten's Chergui? Although it's more of a pipe tobacco vs cigarette smoke. I love it!
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Maybe try Armani Attitude. While I don't find think it smells that much like tobacco, I've heard people say it smells like pipe tobacco. I love the scent, regardless. I also saw a cologne at Marshal's that was called Cigar by Remy Latour. I've never smelled it, but I've heard it smells like cigar. Another one that I always see at Marshals is Versace Blue Jeans. I think this has a smokey vibe to it.

Here are some other threads to check out

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...ighlight=cigar

I understand D'Orsay's "Le Dandy" has a tobacco and whiskey note, with fresh ginger. I am biased as I like the fragrance line.

Dependent

Last edited by MFJ; 21st July 2010 at 06:35 AM.

Dependent

Last edited by MFJ; 21st July 2010 at 06:34 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Vetiver by Guerlain
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Banana Republic have a couple scents, one called "Black Walnut" and another called "Cordovan", that have a smoky scent to them. I didn't detect too much tobacco in either, but Cordovan smells like my father's cigars more than any other cologne I've tried.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

The tobacco in Versace Man is better expressed than in The Dreamer. Blends warmly with the also-dominant angelica.

Burberry London - sweet tobacco. Better in warm climates.

Miller Harris Feuilles de Tabac - Tobacco flowers and green tobacco leaves

Michael for Men - Boozy unburnt pipe tobacco

Zino Davidoff - per Michael for Men but classier
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Tom Ford Extreme smells like fresh tobacco to me, I love it.

Try polo modern reserve, or is that that the same as polo green?

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    I don't mean to put down your suggstion Decillisjl, but isn't Aramis Havana discontinued, hard to find and very pricey. I have been searching for a bottle of this fragrance, and the only place I seem to find it is on eBay. Sadly, the prices are all close to $200

If you know a place where I can find Havana, please let us all know ( sorry to hijack the thread )
    sorry to double hijack but im just excited i managed to negotiate a 10ml decant off BN member for Havana, cant wait. let you know how it turns out Nadeem.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    sorry to double hijack but im just excited i managed to negotiate a 10ml decant off BN member for Havana, cant wait. let you know how it turns out Nadeem.
    Triple hijack!

Has Havana left the building?

Sightings and palace intrigue:

Havana vs. Bloomingdales - the truth?
    For those who are running low on Havana Reserva...
    Havana alternatives
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 30th May 2009 at 06:41 PM.

Dependent

Triple hijack!

Havana alternatives

nope its a hostage situation.
    Last edited by MFJ; 30th May 2009 at 08:09 PM.

Mustang by Dorall is herbs, leather, tobacco, and musk. There's also Jazz Prestige by YSL, if you can find it.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 30th May 2009 at 08:39 PM.

Triple hijack!

Havana alternatives
    Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    nope its a hostage situation.
    Hijacking and hostages ? This is all gonna turn into a Denzel Washington film

Dependent

Last edited by MFJ; 21st July 2010 at 06:31 AM.

Does anyone know about Christine Lavoisier Wild Tobacco? I'm tempted to buy it blind, but since we're on the subject .....

Hi sorry for not updating. And thanks for all the comments!

Versace Man, Michael for Michael Kors; how does it smell like how do they compare? Been reading the reviews but can never get 'clear, simple' explanations of how it develops from topnotes till basenotes
    Last edited by lokiju; 2nd June 2009 at 03:04 AM.