Code of Conduct

Thread: Dislike of Brit

Default Dislike of Brit

I bought a 3.4 of Brit blindly late last year. I was really looking forward to trying it out since I loved London. Lo and behold, I can't tolerate it on my skin. I can't put my finger on exactly what it is about it that I don't like. It's just...too much. It's not the topnotes or the drydown, or anything in-between. It's just the whole package that I don't like. I'm not trying to harp on Brit, I'm just trying to understand what it is that I don't like. Does anybody else feel the same way about Brit? What is the note, or set of notes that I should be avoiding.

Thanks

Default Re: Dislike of Brit

When I first bought it years ago, I thought it was great. I wore it often, especially when dressing up. If I had a job interview, you could bet I was in Brit. It just made me feel sophisticated. Burberry for men does that for me too. Thing is...when it got warm two summers ago, I kinda laid off of the Brit and intended to use it more when it got colder. But I didn't. My collection grew, and perhaps my taste did as well, and all of a sudden-it was the neglected child. I put some on this evening on one of my wrists. Earlier I had on another fragrance, so I'm not sure if I'm smelling them both mixed together or just the Brit, but my hand smells pretty darn good. I may wear Brit tommorow, just to get more reacquainted with it. I really wanted to wear Joop tommorow though, but we'll see.

Brit was the one that got me started wit my frag hobby. My gf totally loves it and thats why she got iot for me for my bday. Prior to Brit the only frags i ever used were Eternity, Polo Blue and AdG. After so many years of fresh/aquatic stuff Brit was just too different for my nose. So after sampling so many different frags, I have somewhat warmed to Brit a little bit but not enough till i would use it regularly. For me its the rose note that puts me off at times.

I think it's one of the finest designer fragrances around, but it is not for you if you dislike powdery sweetness - especially with the floral aspect on top of it. That may be what turns you off. It's bette rin cooler weather and I wear it casually - in formal contexts I go for something more restrained.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

it smells like a diaper bag.

On the whole, this is a decent oriental fragrance, but there is a phase in the drydown that feels decidedly synthetic, almost cheap smelling. It may only be a brief episode in an otherwise pleasant journey, but because of this, I have found it unworthy of purchase.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    I think it's one of the finest designer fragrances around....
    I agree.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I also agree that it's a fine fragrance. In spite of the rose note it's not my style. There are very few new designer scents now that I'm attracted to.
    Brit happens to be very, very nostalgic and sad to my nose.

To my pathetic untrained nose...it was horrible.

I bought a set that included Brit, London and Touch. I liked the other two, but Brit was just too "complicated"...

I started to force myself to try it from time to time, and realized that it's quite nice if you get past that first "blast". Now I like it...for the drydown.

I can't seem to get into Burberry fragrances. They just don't float my boat. The Beat is my fav among them, but it is still not one I would ever own.
    Don't Smell the Flowers,
    They're an Evil Drug to Make You Lose Your Mind --- Dio

Quote Originally Posted by danho View Post
    I can't seem to get into Burberry fragrances. They just don't float my boat. The Beat is my fav among them, but it is still not one I would ever own.
    The Beat is pretty good. That was my second to last purchase. Burberry has been very consistent in making really good fragrances. I think their whole line up, minus Burberry Summer and Weekend (the occassion/season fragrances, lol) have been pretty good. I don't care for London, but clearly many do. Same with Touch. Burberry for men, Brit, and The Beat though...solid (that's why I own them!).

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    but it is not for you if you dislike powdery sweetness - especially with the floral aspect on top of it.
    I think you're right about the powdery sweetness and floral turning me away from it. I don't mind powder, or floral scents for that matter. I really can't think of a sweet scent that I am fond of. I think that if the sweet note in Brit was transformed into a peppery note, I would really like it.

Brit makes me feel sophisticated as well. I think it is great for the colder months and kind of reminds me of Rive Gauche in a way. It dances a fine line between masculinity and femininity with it's notes.

I am off and on with this fragrance. Sometimes I think its very good, and other times I'm thankful I bought only a small bottle. I do find it gets a bit "boring" for me. It can also get cloying, so I have changed my method of spraying to doing 2 sprays under my shirt. That way I get wafts of it, but it is not "in my face" all day.

Brit is definitely well made, has very good longevity and projection as well. Still, it is not even close to my liking of London.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    I am off and on with this fragrance. Sometimes I think its very good, and other times I'm thankful I bought only a small bottle. I do find it gets a bit "boring" for me. It can also get cloying, so I have changed my method of spraying to doing 2 sprays under my shirt. That way I get wafts of it, but it is not "in my face" all day.

Brit is definitely well made, has very good longevity and projection as well. Still, it is not even close to my liking of London.
    Have you smelled Liz Claiborne's Spark? I swear they share the exact same scent, yet I don't see anyone talking about Spark.

I haven't tried Spark actually, Larwiz. London and Spark similar ? I may have to track down a sample of Spark, although I have heard it is more boozy. I don't feel that London is nearly as "boozy" as people describe it to be. I get more dry woods. Thanks for the recommendation Larwiz

There's only one cologne that my gf ever asked me to re-shower in order to wash off immediately: Brit.
    I'm glad the collection is diverse!

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    I haven't tried Spark actually, Larwiz. London and Spark similar ? I may have to track down a sample of Spark, although I have heard it is more boozy. I don't feel that London is nearly as "boozy" as people describe it to be. I get more dry woods. Thanks for the recommendation Larwiz
    I see you're in Canada. Well over here in the states, Spark can be had for $10 at some places. And I'm sure you can get a great deal online as well. But trust me...this is not like other "X smells EXAAAACTLY like Y" claims you may have seen on here before that didn't add up. This is the absolute truth: SPARK AND LONDON ARE THE EXACT SAME FRAGRANCE!!!!! lol I don't know why more people aren't vocal about it. I promise you they're closer than Terre D' Hermes and all the Cartier Declarations...closer than Le Male and Cuba Gold, I swear on everything. They're about as close as white on rice!!!!! lol Ok, so I'm being dramatic, but seriously...check it out. It's an inexpensive London.

Quote Originally Posted by Striven82 View Post
    I think you're right about the powdery sweetness and floral turning me away from it. I don't mind powder, or floral scents for that matter. I really can't think of a sweet scent that I am fond of. I think that if the sweet note in Brit was transformed into a peppery note, I would really like it.
    That's exactly what burberry touch is.

Quote Originally Posted by Larwiz View Post
    I see you're in Canada. Well over here in the states, Spark can be had for $10 at some places. And I'm sure you can get a great deal online as well. But trust me...this is not like other "X smells EXAAAACTLY like Y" claims you may have seen on here before that didn't add up. This is the absolute truth: SPARK AND LONDON ARE THE EXACT SAME FRAGRANCE!!!!! lol I don't know why more people aren't vocal about it. I promise you they're closer than Terre D' Hermes and all the Cartier Declarations...closer than Le Male and Cuba Gold, I swear on everything. They're about as close as white on rice!!!!! lol Ok, so I'm being dramatic, but seriously...check it out. It's an inexpensive London.
    Thanks man. Descriptions of frags are all about the drama . I'm gonna track down a bottle of this or a sample maybe. I would think the cheapest I could get it would be $20. One reason why I prefer London over Brit is that London changes during the course of the day. Hope Spark does this as well. Linear frags are annoying, although most fragrances seems to be that way.

I got Brit for Christmas and wanted London. Brit is okay, but I dont go for the creamy sort of scent anymore, and like spice. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by sharkface View Post
    it smells like a diaper bag.
    ditto and done.....agreed 110%
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

Quote Originally Posted by sharkface View Post
    That's exactly what burberry touch is.
    Cool, I'll have to put Touch on my sample list. Thanks for the info.

I don't really dislike it, but I haven't worn it much recently. Hanae Mori seems to have taken its place in my lineup.