Code of Conduct

Thread: Cuir de Lancome

Default Cuir de Lancome

I have a chance to get this fragrance at a very reasonable price. Please convince me why yes/ not - the PROS and CONS. I cannot decide, have never smelled it. Thank you!

Default Re: Cuir de Lancome

I have a longevity problem with it. I love it while it lasts. One of the best leathers ever, but it last less than 2 hours on me.

I would urge you to go for it if you like leather! I saw this in our T K Maxx in January for 15, marked down from 65. Didn't buy it because it would have been unsniffed, acquired a sample from Soirdelune, LOVED it, and promptly kicked myself for missing this superb bargain. Ended up buying another bottle of it that popped up in T K Maxx later, but at twice the price.

I would describe this as sweet, creamy leather, quite strong, but beautiful and elegant. It has no animal notes, as some leather fragrances do, hence why it is a safe bet for me!

If it turns out to be a mistake, you should be able to swap it away I would have thought, as it is a prestigious scent.

Longevity on me is excellent - lasts all day and night, even a touch into the next day, and I am a very light spritzer. My only slight beef is that the top doesn't fit properly, but that is probably unique to my bottle.
    Last edited by VM I hate civet; 7th May 2009 at 10:01 AM.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Alicka, if you don't like it, I'll buy it off you!
    How's that for insurance?
    x
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Alicka, if you can get this scent cheap -- then snap it up. It is a rare scent to find and is a costly one, at that.

As a raunchy Bandit and scratchy Cabochard afficionado, Cuir -- for me -- is an elegant, kid-glove lady of a leather. Only slightly smoky, with some sweetness, it smells vanillic somehow, though I don't think vanilla is a component.

As VM says, you can always swap (or sell) this litlle beauty on the 'bay (VM -- you saw it for 15???????!!!!!).

Longevity reasonable on me; I wore it on New Year's Eve, and it sustained a good night out.

BTW: my bottle top is also dodgy, which makes me wonder if this is a defectively-bottled batch, hence its finding its way into TK Maxx??
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

I think it's divine-
    and the caps on that line are crap, anyhoo-
    It's the way THAT goes.

Longevity varies for each of us; I suspect that one gets anosmic to it...
    But I like to refresh it, 'cause it's lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by VM I hate civet View Post
    I would describe this as sweet, creamy leather, quite strong, but beautiful and elegant. It has no animal notes, as some leather fragrances do, hence why it is a safe bet for me!

Longevity on me is excellent - lasts all day and night, even a touch into the next day, and I am a very light spritzer. My only slight beef is that the top doesn't fit properly, but that is probably unique to my bottle.
    I had the same problem with the bottle. The top is crappy. I'm in total agreement with your description, though. Love the creaminess, very elegant, great value.

I say go fo it!
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Longevity on me is above average.

Cap doesn't fit

Bought mine for about $20

Definitely worth it even at twice, thrice the price. It's a beautiful very wearable leather.

I am very curious too! Does it come close to Daim Blond or Cuir de Russie by Chanel?

Quote Originally Posted by applepark View Post
    Bought mine for about $20
    wow, that's quite a steal! Where did you see it for this price? I've been contemplating buying it; but i don't *need* a new full bottle so can't quite justify the purchase even at 'regular' discount price - around $55 (?)
    Last edited by kess; 7th May 2009 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coconut View Post
    I am very curious too! Does it come close to Daim Blond or Cuir de Russie by Chanel?
    I don't find it similar to either of these - it is stronger, sweeter, and richer than these. It is also ever so slightly less "niche" in feel, and more like the very uppermost echelons of designer fragrance, if that makes any sense at all. A bit like a leather version of EL PC Amber Ylang Ylang in terms of its richness and creaminess - classier than that, say, but not quite the pedigree of Cuir de Russie. But plenty classy enough for me!

OK, I go for it. Anyway, I wonder why the price fell from original approx. 125 USD to one fourth/fifth. What's the issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Alicka61 View Post
    OK, I go for it. Anyway, I wonder why the price fell from original approx. 125 USD to one fourth/fifth. What's the issue?
    Probably the same reason why Armani Prive refills are being liquidated through Marshall's -- overproduction and poor targeting/marketing. Lancome Cuir is not available at regular Lancome counters (as far as I know) so not a lot of people know about it, even, or have tried it.

I was lucky to try it because I received a sample through a BN trade. Otherwise, there's no easy way to sample it.

Quote Originally Posted by kess View Post
    Lancome Cuir is not available at regular Lancome counters (as far as I know) so not a lot of people know about it, even, or have tried it.
    I think you have put your finger on it - I was at an upmarket department store in Munich which carried the full range of Lancome scents in that style of bottle - Magie, Mille et Une Roses etc - but Cuir was conspicuously missing.

Plus there may be the additional issue of the dodgy fitting top that has been mentioned by a number of us, meaning they may have an entire production batch to offload in cheap channels that won't jib at such flaws at such a bargain price.