Code of Conduct

Default About Versace Pour Homme

I recently got this new swanky stuff ..its the clear Glass with Light blue liquod...( for some godforsaken reason Fragrancenet calls is Versace Signature

(http://www.fragrancenet.com/versace-...mf/en_US/20248)

I was very optimistic about this recent Morillas Creation...so I eagerly awaited its arrival. The First spray- out of the nozzle - I was bit disappointed to see a very synthetic citrus. I whipped out my notepad and jotted down the developments...

The pyramid has an almost semblance to Hugh Parsons blue.... both follow the same olfactory path...with citrus / fruit in the top note and a woody-amber base .

Both Open fresh- Bitter Orange and citrus ( very synthetic) are the hallmarks of Versace- while HP is a better blend of grapefruit, orange and lemons. Moving On... Hugh Parsons has a light touch of eucalyptus and basil in the heart chords while Versace shows hints of what appears as Sage to me...The woods already start to appear in the heart chords for versace while I noticed that HP takes a while and lingers on the heart chords...

The base chords are revealed at once in Versace and do not morph at all.. its a mess of amber and hint of musk... thats it... no change at all... while all this is happening- the synthetic note somehow is persistent.
    The longevity is good and folks who wish to know what hugh parsons blue is like but currently cannot procure it for some reasons- should give this juice a try. Sample - this one before you buy...the mineralic amber has a propensity to change on skins.

Had I not known hugh parsons blue- I might have liked this -but knowing HP- this recent offering from versace disappoints me. It comes across as a generic bleeping mess put together in hurry to push stuff to market under the aegis of Versace.
    Last edited by zephyr16; 7th May 2009 at 03:42 PM.

Default Re: About Versace Pour Homme

I don't see nearly as many similarities between the two as you do. I do agree that HP Blue is better than Versace Pour Homme, but other than the obvious, that they are both aquatics, there isn't much else there that I can compare. The Versace is FAR more woody, and I do get the oud, which is a very nice unexpected touch, that adds a bit of complexity to an otherwise unremarkable top. Hugh Parsons though, is super citrusy in the topnotes, and the woods in the basenotes, to me at least, are far more subdued. Hugh Parsons feels more "gentlemanly" as well, whatever that means. As it states in my sig, I am in love with HP Blue, and it can be had for like 35 bucks online, there really isn't any reason people shouldn't be trying it out.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 7th May 2009 at 04:50 PM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    I don't see nearly as much similarities between the two as you do. I do agree that HP Blue is better than Versace Pour Homme, but other than the obvious, that they are both aquatics, there isn't much else there that I can compare. The Versace is FAR more woody, and I do get the oud, which is a very nice unexpected touch, that adds a bit of complexity to an otherwise unremarkable top. Hugh Parsons though, is super citrusy in the topnotes, and the woods in the basenotes, to me at least, are far more subdued. Hugh Parsons feels more "gentlemanly" as well, whatever that means. As it states in my sig, I am in love with HP Blue, and it can be had for like 35 bucks online, there really isn't any reason people shouldn't be trying it out.
    I agree brother...the reason i wrote that was because I had to vent out my disappointment ...having used the dreamer and signature pour femme- I was expecting a unique concoction from the versace and alberto morillas team.

Nevertheless- with HP in my collection- i dont foresee the need to have versace pour homme.

Despite all the similiraties of the Versace to Allure HS, AdG, HP Blue maybe, it is the modern masterpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by AntonPan View Post
    Despite all the similiraties of the Versace to Allure HS, AdG, HP Blue maybe, it is the modern masterpiece.
    Then Sir, I'd sincerely suggest you try Hugh Parsons Blue...

Zephyr, try spraying this, just misting it, on the inside of your forearms. About 3 hours into the development sniff your arms up close and hopefully - if it works on your skin like mine - you'll get a wonderful accord of cedar and ambergris that is very very similar to how Lez Nez's Let Me Play the Lion smells. I find this accord to be a bit muffled when sprayed on the chest, but on the arms it comes out clearly and is fantastic. It is seriously one of the finest ambergris accords I've ever smelled (alongside the LezNez) - less sweet than the Creeds but just as rich, and combined with cedar instead of the Creeds usual sandalwood combo.

Further, while I'm sure that there are synthetic citruses used in the opening (maybe completely synthetic?) I feel that the sharpness of it is more a factor of the oud (and perhaps sage) coming into play. I don't understand why it's ok for a Montale oud to have a rough/biting opening because of the oud, but another scent that features it isn't allowed or expected to feature any oud in the topnotes?
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 8th May 2009 at 07:00 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    .....I don't understand why it's ok for a Montale oud to have a rough/biting opening because of the oud, but another scent that features it isn't allowed or expected to feature any oud in the topnotes?
    Please accept my handshake across cyberspace. Well said.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Actually I don't like the way I said that. I don't want to come across as confrontational and if Zephyr just doesn't like the frag that is totally fine and I can understand that. It's just that I was wearing this as my SotD today and was once again blown away by its depth and transitions on my skin. It seems to play out the exact opposite for me as it does for Zephyr. On my skin it seems like every accord is perfectly balanced and weighted and the transitions are so smooth as to be seamless. I was actually in awe of how it was playing out tonight - it being better than I remembered - and I came into the thread a little overzealous to defend it.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 8th May 2009 at 10:04 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more